September 3rd, 2018, 2:42 pm #1

😂😂😂

bowie.jpg

September 3rd, 2018, 5:55 pm #2

Maybe this a right handed signature🤣

September 4th, 2018, 9:37 am #3

Shameful

September 4th, 2018, 1:36 pm #4

Haha I  suppose it depends on whose signature you think you're buying? I must confess I am completely bamboodled by the autograph market - why you'd place any value on someone's squiggles (even the genuine ones) is utterly beyond me. But, if that is your bag what's the attraction?  (And BTW I am not being superior - my house full of multiple copies of the same records alone is testament to my personal idiocy around collecting.)

Jon

September 4th, 2018, 2:41 pm #5

the_starman wrote: . But, if that is your bag what's the attraction? 

I can see the appeal of handwritten personal inscriptions/dedications far more than 'naked' autographs. I once got Barry Humphries to sign my copy of his autobiography - as well as dedicating it to me by name, he wrote "My life is in your hands!" which I thought was terribly clever until I discovered that's what he always writes when given copies of his autobiography to sign. If you had a Bowie album signed along with a personal inscription (like that guy who lent db his flat during some filming), I imagine it would be among your most treasured possessions. But when some half-arsed lying chancer scrawls "Love Bowie" on an LP cover and then tries to charge £375.00 for it...

September 4th, 2018, 3:07 pm #6

I get the personal touch/experience bit. Funnily, enough I once knew a gal who worked in a posh bookshop who got the gig of hosting Dame Edna who was pressing the flesh and signing books. This lass said she was with the esteemed Dame for 4 hours or more and not once did she break character. Also said it was the funniest afternoon of her life.

September 6th, 2018, 6:49 am #7

If you had a Bowie album signed along with a personal inscription (like that guy who lent db his flat during some filming), I imagine it would be among your most treasured possessions.  

Except he sold them all, years ago.

September 6th, 2018, 8:44 am #8

Obviously I meant if you were a hardcore fan and had something personally dedicated.

If Paul McCartney or Madonna had signed and dedicated something to me, I'd have put it on ebay straight away.

September 6th, 2018, 9:17 am #9

LuisKantor wrote: Obviously I meant if you were a hardcore fan and had something personally dedicated.

If Paul McCartney or Madonna had signed and dedicated something to me, I'd have put it on ebay straight away.
The thing  is everyone has their price, hardcore fan or not.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

September 9th, 2018, 10:02 am #10

What makes me laugh is the fakers who dont even "try" to get his autograph right and then try and charge the earth. As the curator of www.davidbowieautograph.com says, 95%+ of Bowie's autographs on ebay are utter shite. There have been far bigger scandals though recently where some fraudster achieved over US$70,000 at auction for a fake Staman lyrics he had written. They were not even that good a copy - far too neat.
fake star.JPG

September 9th, 2018, 10:17 am #11

And the originals that they were copied from. I remember Paul K tried very hard to publicise and  illustrate to the Bowie community the fakery of the rubbish above that went to auction. Sadly, even with the intervention of the Bowie estate's lawyer nothing was stopped and the sale went ahead.
star.JPG

September 10th, 2018, 10:05 am #12

I thought that when the Bowie estate were alerted to the fake Starman lyrics, they just shrugged and didn't give the vaguest?  

September 10th, 2018, 10:22 am #13

I’m with the_starman on this.

Why would anyone pay a fortune for a pop stars signature or lyrics anyway?

I mean it’s not like a valuable piece of art like the Mona Lisa is it, you know something to study and see whatever it is one sees in it. A signature / autograph is just a squiggle, a sheet of hand written lyrics is just that, a sheet of hand written lyrics. Personally I’d rather listen to the actual song and the person singing it.

It’s just as well we are not all the same isn’t it because the attraction of paying huge sums of money for such things isn’t something I can identify with.

If it’s about investing to make money? well I can think of more profitable and easier ways to invest.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

September 10th, 2018, 12:59 pm #14

SHHWEEET! wrote: I’m with the_starman on this.

Why would anyone pay a fortune for a pop stars signature or lyrics anyway?

I mean it’s not like a valuable piece of art like the Mona Lisa is it, you know something to study and see whatever it is one sees in it. A signature / autograph is just a squiggle, a sheet of hand written lyrics is just that, a sheet of hand written lyrics. Personally I’d rather listen to the actual song and the person singing it.

It’s just as well we are not all the same isn’t it because the attraction of paying huge sums of money for such things isn’t something I can identify with.

If it’s about investing to make money? well I can think of more profitable and easier ways to invest.
Lots of different issues here. Whatever you think of his art, Warhol is one of the most collected and sought-after names in the art world; but even soup cans or books or magazines that he's signed fetch a huge price on account of his signature being present. Ditto letters or postcards signed by the likes of Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud. Is a Campbell's soup can with Warhol's signature on it just an item off a supermarket shelf with a black squiggle on it? Or has it been elevated to the status of a "found object" - like when Duchamp signed that urinal? And how would that differ from a Warhol Brillo Box signed by him? And don't certain pop stars have the same cachet as art world stars? I think it's a grey area. But autograph dealers (I'm talking about legitimate dealers, not ebay chancers: established dealers who deal in signed ephemera - letters from Nelson, proclamations signed by George III, etc) will confirm that genuine autographed rarities are a great investment which will always either hold or increase their value. I made my own personal view clear above regarding the desirability of personal dedications/inscriptions over a mere squiggle, but I do think it's a grey area (once you exclude all the fake crap, of course).

September 10th, 2018, 2:50 pm #15

An autograph is worth only as much or as little as somebody's willing to pay for it, no?
Luckily for my meagre wallet, memorabilia doesn't do anything for me.
I mean, I saw Ronson signing autographs for a whole gaggle of people after a gig in 1990, but it genuinely didn't even cross my mind to get something signed.
I just don't have that collector thing. Equally, I understand that other people do, so fair enough. It's their money, they should spend it how they like.   
Mind you, as for the fake Starman lyrics fetching $70,000 - anyone who's got that much money to spare for obviously fake lyrics deserves to have them...  😉

September 10th, 2018, 3:00 pm #16

I can see the attraction of having something signed personally to yourself by someone famous. Had I been lucky enough to meet Bowie in person and he wrote a personal message unique to me on say an album cover, then yeah it probably would be one of my prized possessions, apart from anything else it would probably have been free.

I do appreciate some people get their kicks collecting and finding genuine valuable autographed artefacts, and there is obviously a market for it for many reasons, it just doesn’t appeal to me in any shape or form, neither does stamp collecting or Eddie Stobart Spotting which are two other weird things some people are into. 😉

September 10th, 2018, 5:39 pm #17

I've got a signed copy of a Billy Bragg book - didn't ask for it but if you ordered the book early it was a little 'bonus'. Now Trooper Bragg become such a Corbynista tosser, it's gone down in sentimental value considerably for me.

September 17th, 2018, 5:37 pm #18

I think this 1977 "gem" is worse...(13 bids on day 1 and counting!!)
b77.JPG

September 17th, 2018, 6:01 pm #19

Anybody daft enough to part with money for this stuff deserves to part with money for this stuff... 

September 17th, 2018, 6:14 pm #20

Spot on...

September 18th, 2018, 1:33 am #21

Markmywurdz wrote: (13 bids on day 1 and counting!!)
- and all from other accounts set up by the seller, no doubt!

That's a real shocker, but I still prefer the "love Bowie + +" fake.

September 18th, 2018, 8:51 am #22

My signature looks different every time I scribble it.  Going a few years back, a cashier doubted its authenticity, when I signed for a transaction at a D.I.Y. store (like I said, it was a "few" years ago).
Whether these autographs are Bowie's or not, I ain't the foggiest? But the fact that you lot, dismiss them so readily, makes the idea of investing in such, a shaky one don't you think?  

September 18th, 2018, 9:41 am #23

bianniottonaim wrote: My signature looks different every time I scribble it.  Going a few years back, a cashier doubted its authenticity, when I signed for a transaction at a D.I.Y. store (like I said, it was a "few" years ago).
Whether these autographs are Bowie's or not, I ain't the foggiest? But the fact that you lot, dismiss them so readily, makes the idea of investing in such, a shaky one don't you think?  
You are very unusual if your signature differs so radically that people doubt its authenticity. DB's signature varied little since 1975ish - the 'Bo + year' format rarely varied (unless a personal inscription was included, or unless it was dedicated to a friend), nor did the formation of the letters, especially the capital B. Anyone with a passing familiarity with genuine db autographs can instantly see that those shown in this thread are woeful fakes with the capital B in each instance formed completely differently to the way his capital B is formed in genuine autographs. They're easy to dismiss because they are obvious fakes, but that doesn't mean genuine autographs are not a solid investment. There are an enormous amount of forged art works in circulation, but that doesn't mean art is a bad investment either.

My other favourite kind of forged signature is the one where the date on the signature pre-dates the release of the LP or CD that's supposedly been autographed. I've seen both Outside and BTWN "signed" Bo-'91. 😂

September 18th, 2018, 3:19 pm #24

For arguments sake, Bowie's signature will vary very little if examples such as these are quickly dismissed as bad fakes.
Is it reverse psychology, to make no effort whatsoever to emulate what is an established form? Perhaps?  Art forgery often takes this route, but signature forgery?  

September 18th, 2018, 5:40 pm #25

I agree with Luis.

To some its a scrap of paper with a squiggle but to a lot of collectors it's something to hang on the wall. I wouldnt buy if it was inscribed "To Cynthia, best wishes" but a good, genuine signature on an LP sleeve adds to the cover to me. The estimate is that over 95% of Bowie autographs on sale are fake. Some of them (as above) are laughable because the forger is so stupid and thick yet still manages to get away with selling for hundreds in some cases to buyers who are even thicker.

Below is a variance guide of his real autograph over 50 years.
1963.JPG

September 18th, 2018, 6:42 pm #26

Markmywurdz wrote: I agree with Luis.

To some its a scrap of paper with a squiggle but to a lot of collectors it's something to hang on the wall. I wouldnt buy if it was inscribed "To Cynthia, best wishes" but a good, genuine signature on an LP sleeve adds to the cover to me. The estimate is that over 95% of Bowie autographs on sale are fake. Some of them (as above) are laughable because the forger is so stupid and thick yet still manages to get away with selling for hundreds in some cases to buyers who are even thicker.

Below is a variance guide of his real autograph over 50 years.
Many thanks for posting those images - a perfect illustration of my point that after db settled on the "Bo + year" format for his autograph, there was not really any major variation (except when personal dedications to friends and colleagues were signed "David B."). Even if they might look slightly different, you can see that the capital B's were always formed the same way. Now take a look on ebay or rareandsigned.com and look at the capital Bs in the plethora of fakes you'll find. In the first image I posted at the top of the thread, it seems that the forger may have tried to copy (badly!) a signature from around 73-74 - only trouble is, he's added it to the sleeve of a 'Ziggy - The Motion Picture' LP that wasn't released until 1983. If genuine, Bowie would have signed that "Bo'83" - no "love" and no kisses!

September 18th, 2018, 7:38 pm #27

The ebay fakers are going to use that post as an easy reference point for future forgeries, though, Mark!

September 19th, 2018, 11:43 am #28

Thanks Luis.

Larranaga, I did think hard before snatching the Bowie autographs off davidbowieautograph.com for the very point you raised but to be fair, nobody can really do a Bowie signature like Bowie did in my mind. As Luis said, the B is so distinctive and unique as are the numbers for the years.