World Exclusive NLMD 2018 Track

2:23 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #1

The Iggy Pop show on 6 music tonight will play a song from the NLMD 2018 album
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03yblbx

7:44 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #2

It's the Iggy Pop show so it should be Bang Bang, no?

Edit: So it was. There's a clip here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000hw5

7:47 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #3

Yeah was bang bang i enjoyed it

7:54 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #4

What was it like?

I’m going to wait until the whole album is released before I listen to any more tracks from it, I don’t want to spoil the anticipation any more than I have already.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

8:14 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #5

SHHWEEET! wrote: What was it like?  

I’m going to wait until the whole album is released before I listen to any more tracks from it, I don’t want to spoil the anticipation any more than I have already.
... But you already know what it's going to be like, apparently -

"The concept of this reworking of NLMD reminds me a bit of that posthumous Michael Jackson album Xscape
Not good 
Michael Jackson fans got excited about that as well."

8:35 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #6

A nice remake but I dont like the new string arrangement very much.   Just a matter of taste.

8:45 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #7

Yes Stevee your powers of recall are truly impressive.  I stand by that when wrote it but have since heard the two tracks released and have been pleasantly surprised by them. I am allowed to revise my opinion you know, it is allowed.  

For the record just in case you want to be a clever twat and drag my comments up from an old thread sometime in the future I still do have reservations about any further David Bowie posthumous  albums being released in the future as well as for NLMD 2018 until I’ve heard it all for the reasons you have dragged up in this earlier observation I made

Let’s hope the rest of NLMD 2018 lives up to the two tracks released eh.
Last edited by SHHWEEET! on 9:34 PM - Sep 28, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

8:52 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #8

For anybody wanting to listen on the bbc iPlayer it's around 1 hour 38 minutes in

9:04 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #9

Not a fan of the strings.  Would have much preferred the riff played by guitar.

9:27 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #10

Here ya go! 320 kps MP3, and obviously this fades out a little earlier than what I'm sure we're getting on the actual release here in a few weeks
BangBang2018.mp3 (10.3 MiB)

11:27 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #11

Absolutely the worst song on NLMD by a country mile.

New production is a massive improvement, but I'll always skip it.

12:47 AM - Sep 29, 2018 #12

I quite like it personally. I've never been a big fan of the Iggy Pop reworkings since I love the originals, this is a definite improvement. 

11:10 AM - Sep 29, 2018 #13

Nope, this one is not an improvement.

1:08 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #14

Letting it sink in more, I really don't care for this version.  The repetitive string sample gets way too grating deeper into the song, and the track as a whole loses a lot of its charm by making it sound more serious than the lyrics allow it to be.  Also sounds like the instrumentation is a quick copy of Beat of Your Drum's.

Wish the man himself could have directed where this remix went.

2:00 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #15

Leagues better for me. Still prefer Iggy's version (which is far from one of his finest), but I find this new reworking quite interesting.

5:13 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #16

Yeah, for me it's 
1) Iggy Original
2) 2018 version
3) 1987

...I like the strings, the sway of the rhythm guitar, the new(?) backing vocals, and Reeves' solo at the end...

But, there's just something about the vocal which doesn't quite 'land' for me. It just sounds... "overacted" I guess? Like how he veers into- and out of- an "American" accent, and the "I've got mine" bit. And yes, I know that this is the same DB vocal from 1987... but maybe the terrible '87 production style hid it? 

11:10 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #17

Maybe because of the new tempo of the song the vocals are a bit pitched down

8:58 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #18

Ok I gave in to temptation and gave it a listen. 

Not a lot to say really except all the doubts about this reworking of NLMD have returned after listening to this. It's all very well adding a load of strings to tracks but the track has to suit them and Bang Bang doesn't. The whole track just feels kind of forced in its reworking, it sounded dumbed down compared to the original and pretty irritating in a way. Shame really because I quite like Zeroes 2018 and Beat Of Your Drum 2018. I'm pretty sure some will like this and it might grow on me? but at the moment going entirely on first impression Bang Bang 2018 isn't for me. 

I hope this is the worst reworked track on this reworked album and the rest of the album matches the two tracks officially released already, because once this albums out there then like Club Bowie before it there will be no Xscape from it existing.

10:03 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #19

SHHWEEET! wrote: Ok I gave in to temptation and gave it a listen. 

Not a lot to say really except all the doubts about this reworking of NLMD have returned after listening to this. It's all very well adding a load of strings to tracks but the track has to suit them and Bang Bang doesn't. The whole track just feels kind of forced in its reworking, it sounded dumbed down compared to the original and pretty irritating in a way. Shame really because I quite like Zeroes 2018 and Beat Of Your Drum 2018. I'm pretty sure some will like this and it might grow on me? but at the moment going entirely on first impression Bang Bang 2018 isn't for me. 

I hope this is the worst reworked track on this reworked album and the rest of the album matches the two tracks officially released already, because once this albums out there then like Club Bowie before it there will be no Xscape from it existing.
I agree but i cannot think what Day in Day out will be like it's the track i just never ever seem to like i worry for this track the most but in the same way I'm looking forward to the glass spider track the most should be good

11:37 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #20

Is someone willing to compare on the vocals ?
Easiest of course to do it digital. (for 2018 i used the MP3 from Libertine)
“I wandered lonely to the sea”
Original : at 2:37   NLMD18 at 2:50
Something with my ears ?

12:22 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #21

dazzzhoo wrote: I agree but i cannot think what Day in Day out will be like it's the track i just never ever seem to like i worry for this track the most but in the same way I'm looking forward to the glass spider track the most should be good
I share your worry, Day In Day Out on the original album is a bit of a skipper for me as well, it depends on what mood I’m in as to whether I play it the odd time the album gets a rare spin.

At the moment judging by the tracks we’ve heard, NLMD 2018 is 2-1 up in the lead over the original for me. As you say going by that yardstick which is not exactly scientific, the most should be good. it will be interesting to see once we get to hear the entire album.

One thing that is kind of getting confirmed for me is confirmation of which tracks on NLMD were always the strongest or stronger ones with regards to what we all initially thought when the original was first released. I suppose what I’m saying is the weakest tracks will always be the weakest tracks whatever fiddling is done to them.

The outlook doesn’t look good for Day In Day Out.

Like you I hope I’m wrong.

7:40 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #22

I wandered lonely to the sea, very different

4:49 AM - Oct 01, 2018 #23

One would hope that those strings are not Laurie Anderson’s contribution, otherwise I’m disappointed.

3:09 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #24

Awful, I really hate it. I was ambivalent with Zeroes, thought Beat was OK, but this, it just seems like this album is going to be so samey. This was an album released in 1987, not 2017.

5:29 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #25

UntitledNo1 wrote: but this, it just seems like this album is going to be so samey.
I’m glad you said that UntitledNo1, I was thinking the same I just didn’t like to say it.

If the entire album does contain every track with strings then it’s a bit of a cop out surely, and hardly the reworking, re- recording, Bowie would have done had he been alive and hands on.

6:43 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #26

SHHWEEET! wrote: The whole track just feels kind of forced in its reworking
Have to say, that was exactly my reaction too - a bit too studied, as if it was an effort for all involved.
The use of part of an alternative vocal take for the 'lonely to the sea' bit raises the authenticity qualms again, too - 
new arrangements to remove the '80s clatter is one thing, but who took the decision to replace some of Bowie's vocals
and what gave them the impression that it was a legitimate thing to do?  

9:26 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #27

Larranaga wrote:
Have to say, that was exactly my reaction too - a bit too studied, as if it was an effort for all involved.
The use of part of an alternative vocal take for the 'lonely to the sea' bit raises the authenticity qualms again, too - 
new arrangements to remove the '80s clatter is one thing, but who took the decision to replace some of Bowie's vocals

It isn’t legitimate or authentic.

At best NLMD 2018 is going to be hopefully a better version / listen of the original NLMD album ( Not hard to achieve )  which if it is fair do’s.

To think of it as a genuine new(ish) David Bowie album on the back of Bowie’s apparent wishes to re do it in some shape of form? Nah! it’s an imposter if it’s going to be viewed like that.  

You know I feared this sort of thing would happen when he died, hence my Michael Jackson Xacape comment which Recall Stevee felt the need to drag up from another thread.

9:44 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #28

Larranaga wrote:

They never replaced or removed his vocals from the beginning.  "This 'ain't the right thing to do."
I find it hard to believe that Bowie would have gone down this route with Bang Bang.  It's all a bit football chant after having the shit kicked out of it by the visiting side.  It needed more bollocks not a purple rinse. 

9:57 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #29

I don't reckon it's worth worrying too much about how good or bad each track will be. I think some of it will probably be an improvement, just as some of the Lodger remix is either an improvement, or a very interesting alternative, depending on your viewpoint.

They've done it (re-recorded NLMD), so we're shutting the door after the horse has bolted if we say it should have done it this way or that way. I admit I do enough of that in other forms though! :)

I'm going to wait to hear most of it when it comes out.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

10:11 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #30

but so far it hasn't improved on any of the 1987 versions, zeroes is ok, bang bang not too bad but beat of your drum is worst of all, now totally stripped of its original catchy little tune. Maybe the more weaker songs like 87 & cry & new York's in love will fare better.

10:34 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #31

sylvianne wrote: but so far it hasn't improved on any of the 1987 versions, zeroes is ok, bang bang not too bad but beat of your drum is worst of all, now totally stripped of its original catchy little tune. Maybe the more weaker songs like 87 & cry & new York's in love will fare better.
I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the delightful Laurie Anderson replace Mickey Rourke on "Shining Star" myself

10:39 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #32

I wish they reworked Julie and Girls as well, so I could sequence them in to replace any tracks I don’t care for.

10:46 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #33

I enjoyed Zeroes, thought BOYD wasn't bad but Bang Bang has always been a dreadful song in any studio version as far as I'm concerned (including Iggy's).

I'm sure there will be other songs on the album I like better than the originals.

3:49 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #34

The thing is that NLMD was very much an 80s artefact, and personally I think I might have preferred it if (at least going by the evidence so far) they’d kept it more that way. Also, as far as I remember, Bowie said that the album was made with one eye on how it would sound in stadium performance. So it needed to be quite big and bold. Now, whilst I suspect we might all agree that it didn’t really turn out right at the time, I can’t say that these new string-slathered versions strike me as being in keeping with either the 80s thing or the stadium thing. Personally, I think I might have been more interested in a de-cluttered mix of the original (by all means with some reworked parts as necessary) – after all, not everything in 1987 came with nasty fussy mixes, over-production and irritating parping hooks (such as on the chorus of Beat of Your Drum). Presumably Bowie’s original demos – which he seemed to think were far superior – were indeed simpler and more direct. What we seem to be hearing so far strikes me as a complete contemporary re-imagining by a bunch of musos to their tastes, rather than a sympathetic rework of the Bowie original into a more successful form. Not necessarily a problem; and maybe it’ll be great. But not necessarily as Bowie-centric as I might like, either.     

7:04 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #35

If we look at how Bowie himself tackled his 80s work in the 2000s, we see a similar “tasteful” vibe don’t we?

Loving the alien. Intros to let’s dance and china girl. The 2008 time will crawl

What I’ve heard of NLMD 2018 fits into this mould. Obviously this then becomes subjective as to whether that is a good or bad thing. Personally, I’m liking hearing the songs again. There is a slight uncanny valley thing happening. But if I go back to original album (too dizzy and all!) it gives me a headache

The “written for stadiums” line aways struck me as a defensive “it’s noisy and isn’t anything like I intended it to be but it’s loud, I’m playing stadiums so we’ll go with this line shall we?” take

9:43 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #36

jimreeve wrote: I can’t say that these new string-slathered versions strike me as being in keeping with either the 80s thing or the stadium thing.
That's because db subsequently disowned both sentiments, as evidenced by his enthusiasm for MM's first reworking of Time Will Crawl, and the comment "oh, to redo the whole album".

10:30 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #37

StraferJack wrote:If we look at how Bowie himself tackled his 80s work in the 2000s, we see a similar “tasteful” vibe don’t we? Loving the alien. Intros to let’s dance and china girl. The 2008 time will crawl...
Yes, that's true. And whilst personally I never much cared for the 2000s Loving the Alien live (re)arrangement, I know people who loved it. Listening again to the Time Will Crawl remix just now I can see your point. It is rather 'polite', so maybe they are getting it (more) right than I thought. Also,as a whole it might surprise: we haven't heard Day-In Day-Out or, particularly, Glass Spider yet, so me trying to judge it on three tracks is inherently unfair (a bit like drawing conclusions about The Next Day album from the Where Are We Now single, which I seem to recall turned out to be pretty wide of the mark)...  

11:37 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #38

Of the 3 tracks so far, as songs, I've only ever liked one of them (Zeroes). But I confess to finding the new version of BoYD very enjoyable. Bang Bang (new version) is mildly interesting but as it's at the fag end of the album anyway I doubt I'll be listening to it too often (unless New York's in Love and 87 and Cry reveal themselves to be masterpieces. so... that's not going to happen)

Day in Day Out - never liked that track and it's apparently relatively unchanged. So for me it's tracks 2-6 inclusive I'm interested in - especially Glass Spider. And if they are as decent as Zeroes and BoYD I'll consider this a net win

Plus I'm enjoying having Reeves doing the rounds talking about non-Cure related music

11:55 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #39

There’s a lockdown on TW whilst they listen to the 2018 NLMD. No doubt there’ll be a fully itemised description a la TND shortly. That was hilarious.
I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star

4:53 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #40

I can't get worked up about this - "is it authentic or legitimate" - meme. Attempting to improve on the original album was apparently on Bowie's posthumous "to do" list, and that attempt has now been carried out. Would he be happy with the end result? We'll never get an answer to that question. However, if half of the songs are improvements on the originals, I will be very happy, and so far, for me, each of the three released has gone up a notch, with Zeroes at the top, moving from three to four out of five based on my own subjective nerdy scoring - (overall I give the original album 2 stars). I actually love the new version of Zeroes, the original was excruciatingly awful with all of the faux screaming. I'm hoping that most of us can find 2 or 3 or 4 tracks pleasantly improved on when we get to listen to the whole album next week.  

8:31 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #41

I
Wonder if all the recall discs plus The Gooster, Lodger remix and NLMD 2018 would stand up as a small stand alone box at the end of the retrospective?
I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star

9:47 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #42

betty_turpin wrote: I
Wonder if all the recall discs plus The Gooster, Lodger remix and NLMD 2018 would stand up as a small stand alone box at the end of the retrospective?
That’s a great idea, I’d probably shell out for that.

2:20 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #43

They could call it 'I Cant Give Everything Away' (RRP £99.99)

3:04 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #44

the_starman wrote: (RRP £99.99)
Oh come on! the_starman, they couldn’t charge the same as the full fat boxes.

£90.00 is surely more realistic.

4:04 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #45

Snippets of the reworked glass spider can be found at the link below

Last 10 seconds especially give a very 1.outside/NiN flavour to the main groove

5:33 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #46

Was that really Reeves Gabrels?😯

7:07 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #47

No.
It was your Mum so it was.

7:37 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #48

PeteF wrote: No.
If it was then there is hope Bowie will be returning to give us a Blackstar content concert, and more worrying was possibly hands on with NLMD 2018!

Seriously though Reeves hasn’t  half changed over the years so he has, as have we all I suppose.
Last edited by SHHWEEET! on 11:52 AM - Oct 08, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

11:50 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #49

PeteF wrote: No.
My mum used to retreat to the other end of the house (or further, if possible) whenever I put on Diamond Dogs. However if I put on the Deram album she'd appear in the room, saying "I like this one" and happily humming along to Uncle Arthur (I've always thought that this fact pithily illustrates why the Deram album didn't sell many copies to Da Kids). I therefore doubt she would have been a suitable choice for guitarist on NLMD 2018, but she might make an excellent creative consultant for The First Five Years...