Who Are You Going To Follow Now?

Who Are You Going To Follow Now?

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 16th, 2016, 3:57 am #1

Now that David Bowie has left the building has anyone else got any other music artists or groups that they feel passionate enough about in order to focus all their interest and energy on from now on.

I'm not saying we should forget about David Bowie and he will always have a place in our hearts, but they do say life is for the living.

January 16th, 2016, 3:59 am #2

Justin Beiber...yeah right.

Hmm don't know. Brian Eno, Tom Waits
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

January 16th, 2016, 4:04 am #3

Hum that's a hard one, everyone I like is bloody well dying or already dead!😟

January 16th, 2016, 4:11 am #4

Now that David Bowie has left the building has anyone else got any other music artists or groups that they feel passionate enough about in order to focus all their interest and energy on from now on.

I'm not saying we should forget about David Bowie and he will always have a place in our hearts, but they do say life is for the living.
Well...

Roger Waters is apparently working on a solo album.

Brain Eno releases something now and then, quality not guaranteed.

January 16th, 2016, 4:25 am #5

Ok, I'm a massive Charlatans fan, and I love Arcade Fire and Doves, so that's 3 that will keep me busy.
Last edited by trevorhalvo on January 16th, 2016, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2016, 4:29 am #6

Perhaps the thing to do is fill a large hole with a lot of small pebbles? Nobody will ever fill the space Bowie occupied so I would say to take that empty hole in our musical hearts and do with it exactly what Sailor himself had spent all of his years doing. Take a chance on the weird and the interesting! Buy a record simply because of its pretty cover. Scour interviews of your favorite artists for hints at what is new and exciting that they're listening to. Try that strange college radio station during a late night drive.

Personally, I haven't been able to listen to any Bowie yet--especially Blackstar--so I've spent the week listening to the things that aided in it's creation. Don McCaslin's band (who were the folks that played on the record), Boards of Canada, and even that Kendrick Lamar album that keeps getting referenced in interviews. It's all helped a bit. Don McCaslin's band in particular too. They just had a record come out in the Spring and you can hear the Blackstar style in its infancy.

P.S. Greetings everyone! It's been ages since I've logged onto a Bowie forum. Been a long time lurker and no time poster here though--so I figured I'd finally make an account. Unfortunately it's under such circumstances.

January 16th, 2016, 5:12 am #7

I like an assortment of artists, but no one with Bowie's standing, so I'll be content with The Gentleman's vast back catalogue of musical enchantment.
It's a long way from the likes of TAKE MY TIP and UNCLE ARTHUR to the likes of, say, LAZARUS, and I love it all. Thank you for the music, Mr. David Robert Jones Bowie

January 16th, 2016, 5:13 am #8

actually, do we have to follow anyone?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IamRockinhorse
IamRockinhorse

January 16th, 2016, 5:24 am #9

I will continue to listen to Bowie and shuffle in some Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Muse, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Starsailor, Queens of the Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys, Awolnation, Modest Mouse, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Rolling Stones, Flogging Molly, Black 47, Disappears, Nine Inch Nails, One Republic, the Script, Rachmaninov, Apocalyptica, Cat Stevens, Renaissance, Elefant, and whatever else pops up on my Pandora shuffle. But Bowie will always be first and foremost for me.

January 16th, 2016, 8:50 am #10

I think Janelle Monae is going to continue to do wonderful things.

Bjork is another hero.

Yoko Ono is still releasing fantastic albums.

Brian Eno's last two albums have some great tracks.

Woodkid, depending on the quality of his future albums- could be a person of interest.

Anthony and the Johnsons are still pushing boundaries.

Asaf Avidan has a peculiar voice, and a great delivery.

January 16th, 2016, 8:55 am #11

Absolutely and utterly no-one will ever fill his shoes. I'm following(?) a colossal musical vaccum right now.
A big dyson vacuum, lol.

January 16th, 2016, 10:08 am #12

good question who?
tbh im gonna struggle to find this massive musical whole filled from now on.
i love lots of bands, but nothing comes quite as near as the anticipation for bowie.
so sad, & makes me angry infact.
i spoke to my brother, other day, a fan also & asked
'so where do we get our 'fix' from now kid?(musically)
who's gonna do it for us'???
the reality IS nobody

January 16th, 2016, 10:34 am #13

There's nobody else.
For the best we have to look to the past.

January 16th, 2016, 10:38 am #14

good question who?
i love lots of bands, but nothing comes quite as near as the anticipation for bowie.
the reality IS nobody
I will keep listening to Bowie of course! As well as several others, some of which David got me interested in so I have much to thank him for. We have 50 years of great Bowie music to listen to and there is no reason why that should stop. But he also gave me enthusiasm for keeping an eye on anything new and different.

If I am honest I had pretty much thought we would only get one or two more albums. The Next Day was announced on David's 66th birthday. Blackstar came out on his 69th. Looking ahead I therefore thought it seemed logical the next one might be when he was 72. Then 75. I then realised that it could not go on forever and assumed he would retire for real.

January 16th, 2016, 10:44 am #15

good question who?
the reality IS nobody
There was always an element of following your act, like they were a football club and had good seasons and bad ones. Bowie was definitely in the Premiership.

Can I suggest the following:
St. Vincent:http://ilovestvincent.com/#video
and
I'll keep an eye on this Irish band: Bleeding Heart Pigeons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omw8SeJkc_c

but you could look at Spoon, Temples, Bjork (of course), Tame Impala and Beach House.

January 16th, 2016, 11:00 am #16

Iggy Pop, of course. Like I have done for almost 40 years. There is a song in the vaults by Bowie: 'iggy pop, iggy pop, when are you gonna stop'. I was expeting some sort of a reunion this or next year, the anniversaries you know, but unfortunately that doesn't seem a possibility now for obvious reasons.

January 16th, 2016, 1:11 pm #17

Probably Radiohead for me.

January 16th, 2016, 1:14 pm #18

I'm not going to follow anybody, I'll just keep doing what I did when Bowie was here, listening to stuff that interests me.

Mist.

January 16th, 2016, 1:35 pm #19

Seriously... he's the man.

January 16th, 2016, 2:26 pm #20

I for one will stick to David.
He's out there. ;-)

January 16th, 2016, 2:41 pm #21

Like Michael said.

January 16th, 2016, 4:55 pm #22

I'll do what I've always done buy a healthy choice of whatever takes my fancy , recently started listening to Peter Murphys Lion ! a great album, Paul McCartney As The Fireman Red Hot Chilli Peppers , the list is endless as long as it takes my fancy ?

January 16th, 2016, 5:15 pm #23

I think we all have some band we like and follow but, for me, almost all bands and solo acts fall off after awhile. The exception was Bowie, he had 2 or 3 rough albums but he returned to form and was in stride with his last few albums.

I'll still listen to Placebo, Dylan, Arcade Fire, Tom Petty, New Order, etc but there won't be the same hype as there was for a Bowie album.

There's no one as cultured or as interesting as Bowie was. Not anyone living at least. Sylvian had some very interesting solo albums but the last couple were just too abstract for me.

Sakamoto is brilliant and I do enjoy his soundtrack work but I miss his solo experimental albums.

January 16th, 2016, 5:25 pm #24

I think I'll throw myself into PJ Harvey, Bjork, TV on the Radio, maybe MGMT.

Radio head used to have a spell on me, but that's worn off.

Arcade Fire I have an off/on relationship with. While they are a fabulous live act, I find their studio albums to be hit/miss for some reason.

January 16th, 2016, 5:34 pm #25

(( I think we all have some band we like and follow but, for me, almost all bands and solo acts fall off after awhile. The exception was Bowie, he had 2 or 3 rough albums but he returned to form and was in stride with his last few albums. ))

Oh I dunno, The Charlatans who I like started way back at the beginning of the 90s, they have constantly bounced back from deaths and band members leaving, and have constantly reinvented themselves over the years. Just fairly recently they released an album which for me is quite possibly their best.
Last edited by trevorhalvo on January 16th, 2016, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2016, 5:45 pm #26

Life is for the living and also for my record collection.

January 16th, 2016, 6:07 pm #27

I will keep listening to Bowie of course! As well as several others, some of which David got me interested in so I have much to thank him for. We have 50 years of great Bowie music to listen to and there is no reason why that should stop. But he also gave me enthusiasm for keeping an eye on anything new and different.

If I am honest I had pretty much thought we would only get one or two more albums. The Next Day was announced on David's 66th birthday. Blackstar came out on his 69th. Looking ahead I therefore thought it seemed logical the next one might be when he was 72. Then 75. I then realised that it could not go on forever and assumed he would retire for real.
"I then realised that it could not go on forever and assumed he would retire for real."
I don't think one can retire from music. It's not like working at a company.

January 16th, 2016, 6:11 pm #28

Life is for the living and also for my record collection.
There's Sylvian, Sakamoto, Iggy, Nick Cave, Thomas Dolby, ABC, Siouxsie, Debbie Harry, Martin Page, Martin Briley, Gotye, Tom Robinson, Peter Murphy -- a whole assortment, but The Gentleman was one of a kind, so I will play a whole assortment of artists with PLENTY OF BOWIE mixed into that assortment

January 16th, 2016, 6:20 pm #29

Seriously... if you like Bowie you will like Nick Cave.

Fantastic body of world and always interesting.

January 16th, 2016, 6:21 pm #30

yea

January 16th, 2016, 6:21 pm #31

I listen to my kids' music, and some of it is fine. I can't see myself "following" any of the performers the way I follow my own bands. So I'll likely just keep revisiting my own very large catalog of favorites as well as continuing to explore classical and jazz. Bowie and the Beatles alone could last a lifetime.

I will *certainly* see my favorite acts when they come to town, whether or not I love their latest. I've done it with a few, such as PiL, but I saw our hero only once, thinking that I'd get around to it again some day. Bad strategy. Most of the acts I'd like to see again are in the 60s at best, so I'll be making a list and checking out their tours. I don't need more musical regrets.

January 16th, 2016, 6:30 pm #32

There's Sylvian, Sakamoto, Iggy, Nick Cave, Thomas Dolby, ABC, Siouxsie, Debbie Harry, Martin Page, Martin Briley, Gotye, Tom Robinson, Peter Murphy -- a whole assortment, but The Gentleman was one of a kind, so I will play a whole assortment of artists with PLENTY OF BOWIE mixed into that assortment
This is a weird one, Bowie Fanatic since early 74, I have liked other Bands under his umberella , Lou Reed, Iggy, Roxy.And his followers, Japan , Ultravox, his rivals, Queen, and Prog stuff like ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, and heavier stuff Led Zep,Thin Lizzy, Cream.
I always turn back to Bowie and he is obviously my all time no 1 artist .
It's like your a Supporter of a football team , you stick through them thick or thin, even though I haven't played much of his music since Monday I will never desert him, is he dead in my mind , that's a strange one as he is and he isn't.
I normally pick up rare stuff on eBay and haven't done it ,
1) I don't feel like it
2) it's too damn expensive at the moment, have you seen the price of the Clear vinyl with prints?
I will see how I will feel in the next few months.

January 16th, 2016, 6:43 pm #33

I listen to my kids' music, and some of it is fine. I can't see myself "following" any of the performers the way I follow my own bands. So I'll likely just keep revisiting my own very large catalog of favorites as well as continuing to explore classical and jazz. Bowie and the Beatles alone could last a lifetime.

I will *certainly* see my favorite acts when they come to town, whether or not I love their latest. I've done it with a few, such as PiL, but I saw our hero only once, thinking that I'd get around to it again some day. Bad strategy. Most of the acts I'd like to see again are in the 60s at best, so I'll be making a list and checking out their tours. I don't need more musical regrets.
SpaceFace65 at least you've seen him, I've regretted not seeing bands, Lizzy, Zeppelin,Police etc, but of course with my fanatasism seen Bowie 14 times, just wish I saw born earlier to see Ziggy and the Thin White Duke. There will be plenty of new fans from 2013 who have waited to see him and will never get the chance.

January 16th, 2016, 7:17 pm #34

Just thinking about Peter Murphy , I suppose it's the sound of his voice and it's delivery, I will always be reminded of Bowie ,plus I think PM is unashamedly a DB fan so I'll feel as though I'm hearing echos of the main man :)though I suppose now it will be tinged with sadness but that's not a problem for me because I can't remember a day when Bowie hasn't run through my mind ,and I can't imagine that stopping now ?

January 16th, 2016, 7:18 pm #35

SpaceFace65 at least you've seen him, I've regretted not seeing bands, Lizzy, Zeppelin,Police etc, but of course with my fanatasism seen Bowie 14 times, just wish I saw born earlier to see Ziggy and the Thin White Duke. There will be plenty of new fans from 2013 who have waited to see him and will never get the chance.
mikewest, you're right, I'm glad that I did get to see him once. It wasn't my favorite period for his music (Serious Moonlight tour), but as I told myself that night, at least David Bowie and I were once in the same room. :)

I think there will be many, many new fans from this week alone--especially the young outsiders he's always attracted--who will be terribly disappointed they never got to see him live.

This Furious Man
This Furious Man

January 16th, 2016, 8:02 pm #36

I'll be taking a rest from Bowie for a while and rekindle my love affair with The Jam and Small Faces.
May also start to discover Dr Feelgood and learn to play my Rickenbacker Fireglo properly......

TFM

January 16th, 2016, 8:39 pm #37

Seriously... he's the man.
I do a lot of phish shows....anyone into phish?

January 17th, 2016, 1:57 am #38

I'll be taking a rest from Bowie for a while and rekindle my love affair with The Jam and Small Faces.
May also start to discover Dr Feelgood and learn to play my Rickenbacker Fireglo properly......

TFM
This is MikeWest to follow that BLACK STAR no matter how hopeless no matter how far .

August 25th, 2017, 4:37 am #39

Seriously... if you like Bowie you will like Nick Cave.

Fantastic body of world and always interesting.
delete
Last edited by ziggythecowboy on August 25th, 2017, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 25th, 2017, 4:38 am #40

This is MikeWest to follow that BLACK STAR no matter how hopeless no matter how far .
"Seriously... if you like Bowie you will like Nick Cave.

Fantastic body of world and always interesting."

funnily enough. I've only really had his best of for about 15 years but just in the past couple of months I've got the Cave bug and have bought about 8 of his albums. There is so much depth in his work. Why have I denied the genuis of Cave?

I now have

Dig Lazarus Dig
Tender Prey
The Good Son
Kicking Against the Pricks
Murder Ballads
Boatman's Call
Let Love In

All have their own style. Unlike Bowie, he doesn't change style so drastically but he does in content. I get the impression he reads just as much as Bowie.

I have the CD/DVD editions. So nicely done.

August 25th, 2017, 2:20 pm #41

Nick Cave is my favourite artist after Bowie - there's barely a duff album in his whole career.

Although Bowie is the better musician and songwriter overall, I have to rate Nick Cave ahead lyrically - or maybe I just like his style, that narrative driven approach soaked in sex and the bible. Phenomenal live performer as well.

The CD/DVD editions are great - every album in remastered stereo and 5.1 surround with B-sides.

I prefer later Cave to early, but I would recommend you check out

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (my all time favourite album, sorry DB!)
No More Shall We Part
Henry's Dream
Grinderman 1 + 2

August 25th, 2017, 9:18 pm #42

Nature Boy, my path to getting into Cave's music is a very different route than it was with Bowie's. My history with Bowie's music goes back to when I was a nipper. Where as Cave is something that's been a slow burner for about 20 years.

My wife can't stand his music, she says it's "depressing" which I can see why she thinks that but you probably find like myself that his songs are actually quit dramatic and dare I say beautiful.

Songs of the human condition, (unrequited)love, lust, heartbreak, desire, murder. Do you find each song is like a short story?

OK Bowie sort of did this too but more from a 3rd party point of view. With Cave it's mainly first person.

"The CD/DVD editions are great - every album in remastered stereo and 5.1 surround with B-sides."
yep that's the ones I have to. The remastering is so clean and no brickwalling. I wish Bowie's albums were presented like this.

The only thing that could be improved is more bonus tracks and on CD as well as on the DVD. Not just as download as 128kbps . I guess that was done at the time to encourage people to but the b-sides and rarities album that came out at the time.

I hope they continue this format for the Grinderman albums and the other post-Dig Lazarus Dig.

" I would recommend you check out

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (my all time favourite album, sorry DB!)
No More Shall We Part
Henry's Dream
Grinderman 1 + 2 "

Funnily enough I checked out Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus on youtube yesterday. It's quite a different beast that one. It goes for that gospel feel. I need to get it.

as for No More Shall We Part, I heard negative things about it but listening to it, that's on my list as well. Henry's dream too. As for the two Grinderman's, Push the Sky Away and Skeleton Tree. I'm making my way there.

The album's prior too Tender Pray I don't know so well. Other than Kicking Against the Pricks. The Cave Pin-Ups .
Last edited by ziggythecowboy on August 25th, 2017, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 26th, 2017, 12:29 pm #43

If we're talking singer-songwriters, my #2 pick would definitely be Bob Dylan. He never seems to settle down, and is showing no signs of stopping.

September 3rd, 2017, 4:22 pm #44

I'm with you all on Nick cave. genius body of work. such a poet.
murder ballads is fantastic as is no more shall we part. infact I love them all.

I'm enjoying sparks too. look forward to there new album this week. hippopotamus.

September 3rd, 2017, 5:12 pm #45

Nick Cave is a 'genius'; Bob Dylan is his #2 songwriter pick. Jesus wept.

September 3rd, 2017, 11:49 pm #46

I've stopped going on them as much as I once did as you can only shout so much about certain things, and others have bigged them up here anyway.

I've always followed others...while Bowie has always been in my top 3 (alternating between Iggy and Lou and Bowie to Iggy and Lou and The Fall, but also including tons of others who will be my current 'rave' at any given time), but they are a great band.

The last album was fine, but the latest (New Facts Emerge) is a stormer - as always it's getting a wide variety of reactions / reviews, but there's quite a few along the lines of best since YFOC (Your Future Our Clutter) / best since 1999 etc, which is their equivalent as 'best since Scary Monsters'. All the more remarkable as MES' health has not been good of late, and the singing / lyrics are more indecipherable than for a while but still with a lot of invention in the delivery.