The Version of “”Heroes”” You Always Wanted

August 7th, 2018, 3:50 pm #1

From the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain:
"Schtum!"

August 8th, 2018, 7:16 am #2

Very strange indeed.

I also love the KIng Crimson version released last year by the lineup currently touring (King Crimson Mk VIII)
Probably the best lineup of this superb band ever......highly recommended

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Crimson%20 ... eroes%20EP

August 8th, 2018, 1:30 pm #3

I see the comedy value in this, but the Heroes covers have got to reach saturation-point sometime soon, no?
Bloody Olympics...

August 8th, 2018, 2:09 pm #4

Good decision from Bowie not to perform at them.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍

August 8th, 2018, 3:33 pm #5

Can I be the only person who finds these ukulele 'orchestras' neither musically endearing nor kitsch and ironic? Bloody racket played by people who are insufferably pleased with themselves. 

August 8th, 2018, 6:15 pm #6

the_starman wrote: Can I be the only person who finds these ukulele 'orchestras' neither musically endearing nor kitsch and ironic? Bloody racket played by people who are insufferably pleased with themselves. 
No

I’m with you on this.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍

August 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm #7

I am not too sure what is supposed to be comedic, kitsch or ironic about anything I can see or hear in this performance?
A great song, played well with a not unlikable little arrangement.  If you really think about it, what in the hell was that guy in the audience laughing about? Is there such a thing as instrument prejudice? 

Once, I was cornered (seriously, cornered is the right word) in a night club and questioned.  "You think you know a lot about Bowie?"  I was dancing one minute and the next accosted, only to be fired upon with a barrage of questions by the Magnus Magnusson twins.  While obviously, not everybody is like that, I do think it strange how everything that we feel that Bowie stood for, has bred the biggest bunch of elitist, close-minded and entrapped individuals outside of a religious cult.  Competitive and fearful of appearing anything other than the most faithful and obsessive of disciples.

Step back folks.

Do you remember the Grammy award ceremony in 1975 in which before reading the "Noms" Bowie puts on a pair of glasses and many in the audience found it funny.  It says a lot don't you think?

August 8th, 2018, 6:42 pm #8

bianniottonaim wrote: I am not too sure what is supposed to be comedic, kitsch or ironic about anything I can see or hear in this performance?
Maybe it's an English thing - ukuleles are only ever going to bring George Formby to mind!
Last edited by Larranaga on August 9th, 2018, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2018, 6:55 pm #9

Just say no.

August 8th, 2018, 7:07 pm #10

bianniottonaim wrote: Step back folks.
Ever considered taking up the Ukulele? 

August 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm #11

Now't wrong with a uke.  Didn't Bowie pin down the riff for Lust for Life on one?

August 8th, 2018, 10:11 pm #12

bianniottonaim wrote: Now't wrong with a uke.  Didn't Bowie pin down the riff for Lust for Life on one?
Possibly so,but it’s more suited to When I’m Cleaning Windows 😉

August 9th, 2018, 11:18 am #13

bianniottonaim wrote: I am not too sure what is supposed to be comedic, kitsch or ironic about anything I can see or hear in this performance?
A great song, played well with a not unlikable little arrangement.  If you really think about it, what in the hell was that guy in the audience laughing about? Is there such a thing as instrument prejudice? 

Once, I was cornered (seriously, cornered is the right word) in a night club and questioned.  "You think you know a lot about Bowie?"  I was dancing one minute and the next accosted, only to be fired upon with a barrage of questions by the Magnus Magnusson twins.  While obviously, not everybody is like that, I do think it strange how everything that we feel that Bowie stood for, has bred the biggest bunch of elitist, close-minded and entrapped individuals outside of a religious cult.  Competitive and fearful of appearing anything other than the most faithful and obsessive of disciples.

Step back folks.

Do you remember the Grammy award ceremony in 1975 in which before reading the "Noms" Bowie puts on a pair of glasses and many in the audience found it funny.  It says a lot don't you think?

It says, as does the video of this  performance, that some of us in this world have a sense of humour and that some of us need to get one. I mean I can’t stop laughing at that guy, the one 2nd from the left with the smallest uke about 4.13 / 17 into the video. I will leave you to work out why. If that makes me elitist then I’m guilty as charged my lord. Of course you do realise that you yourself come across in the same elitist way as those you accuse, only from a different angle.

You seem to express some sort of genuine surprise that this sort of video should attract the type of comments it has after being posted on a David Bowie fan site? Maybe someone should do a rendition of Heroes by controlling the pitch of their farts, I’m pretty sure you would probably see some sort of artistic value in that. Actually if someone were to do such a thing it would be pretty heroic

If you love this then I’m fine with that and believe it or not can respect you for that, but please  don’t try and curtail some people’s right to express their dissatisfaction with such a thing if that’s what they genuinely feel, or even to express that unique British way of expressing a view on life  which is to very often take the piss.
Last edited by SHHWEEET! on August 9th, 2018, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2018, 11:38 am #14

SHHWEEET! wrote:or even to express that unique British way of expressing a view on life  which is to very often to take the piss.
Indeed, so, Shhweeet. It's a national pastime - here in Yorkshire, if you didn't take the piss you'd never have a conversation with anybody!
(in case anyone's missed out on the humour gene, that was one of those 'joke' things...).

August 9th, 2018, 5:20 pm #15

Yorkshire Man/Woman? Eh I donno ?  From 'Ull? Not taking the piss, I lived in Leeds for twenty odd years.  Lancs for twenty odd also.  I really am a both red and white sort, without prejudice and will always pop up in defense of whoever the finger is pointing at if it feels justified.   

SHHWEEET don't mean to get your back up, you are quite right.  I only want to prompt some introspection. 
There was a time I wouldn't have a word said against Bowie and while it may seem that I am attacking, I am actually 
defending. 
There have been some total Bowie knobs, of whom I have been among the foremost, I just feel that Bowie encouraged 
everybody to be themselves and so many are not.  I certainly was among that number. 

August 9th, 2018, 5:35 pm #16

That’s ok.

You haven’t upset me, honest guv! I do actually admire that your prepared to have your say and defend it, the same goes for your robust defence of Erdal in the Erdal NLMD 2018 debate.

I merely like to put the counter argument back just as robustly if I feel it’s required, it’s what makes message boards like this worth participating in.

I think we have all been Bowie knobs at sometime in our lives, that certainly isn’t unique to you

August 11th, 2018, 12:37 pm #17

Didnt Erdal play ukulele on NLMD ?

August 11th, 2018, 12:55 pm #18

west406 wrote: Didnt Erdal play ukulele on NLMD ?
Probably.

He probably also played the penny whistle on it as well.