The Last Five Years by BBC

08 Jan 2017, 18:09 #21

I haven't watched the complete thing yet but what I did notice near the beginning was that it said 'The Final Five Years *of his career*, not his actual final five years on the planet.

His career effectively ended in early 2004 with the heart problem, so the final five years of his career would be 1999 - 2004.

Mist.
Cant say id agree that 99-04 were the last 5 years of his career,not sure how you make that out, apart from not touring and not giving interviews he released records, videos and wrote a play in his last 5 years, his career ended the day he died

08 Jan 2017, 19:45 #22

Have to agree with every word from Dash Away......I couldn't wait to see this (TND and Blackstar are up there with anything from the 70s for me regardless of the circumstances of their release) but good Jesus its a mess, a bewildering mess

Its great to see footage from The Hype and Diamond Dogs but what the hell did they have to do with anything really?.......and did we really need a reminder of Space Oddity or Ziggy? (not to mention a dodgy performance of "Five Years") when its mentioned how he stopped doing interviews I thought to myself "and this is exactly why!! people can't get past the bloody 70s" why on earth would he want to talk about the same ol shit 40 years after the fact

A truly wasted opportunity, if they needed to pad things out they should have just gone for an hour or go the whole hog and do a complete career overview, i think maybe it was a rush job and it had to be ready for the anniversary, its the only explanation that makes sense because I can't believe this would have been considered good enough without a big anniversary deadline to meet

So yeah.....its a bit shit

Michael I know your 2004 comment is a little tongue in cheek, but they actually put up title cards every now and again, 2013, 2014 etc., but they bore very little relevance to what went on on screen! So disappointing.

Heard some people in the queue behind us at Brixton saying how good it was and they didn't know he'd lived in Berlin. FFS!

08 Jan 2017, 21:45 #23

I think it was made for the general public. Long time obsessive Bowie fans (such as we are) are never gonna be completely happy.

For me it was a mixture of new,old, boring, pointless and interesting at the same time.

08 Jan 2017, 21:50 #24

ps. Without the voices of Coco, Duncan, Iman, Lexi there's gonna be a whole side of his life missing. That's perhaps how it should be as after all they're still learning to cope.

08 Jan 2017, 21:55 #25

Maybe Coco has run off with Mr. Jones?

Apparently Bowie had a "long-treasured fantasy of a “Houdini disappearance”!! Who knew?

http://trynka.net/2017/01/lazarus-a-tri ... -memories/

Mist.

08 Jan 2017, 22:37 #26

Cant say id agree that 99-04 were the last 5 years of his career,not sure how you make that out, apart from not touring and not giving interviews he released records, videos and wrote a play in his last 5 years, his career ended the day he died
Mr. Bowie's career is far from ended: Col. Tom Parker was asked when Elvis died: "What are you going to do now?"
He said: "I'll keep on managing him."

His career may be just beginning, depending on what he has squirreled away in the vaults.
"Schtum!"

09 Jan 2017, 00:25 #27

Maybe Coco has run off with Mr. Jones?

Apparently Bowie had a "long-treasured fantasy of a “Houdini disappearance”!! Who knew?

http://trynka.net/2017/01/lazarus-a-tri ... -memories/

Mist.
Thoroughly enjoyed the programme but agreed the label rather betrayed the contents and it told us very little of the last five years. As we fast approach the first anniversary of that awful day the programme did endorse a personal feeling that Bowie has left a vast legacy of music, images and words that I will treasure until I join him in slipping off this mortal coil, and however long that is I know my time will be warmer and more pleasurable for being a Bowie fan.

09 Jan 2017, 01:13 #28

The problem is that just about everyone and their dog seems determined to destroy his legacy.

Just leave him and his songs the fuck alone. As I said to someone recently, nobody goes around recreating Da Vincis paintings, so why should they do it with Bowies stuff?

As for tributes or as they're called now, 'celebrations', where are the Lou Reed ones, the Prince ones, the Leonard Cohen ones, the Maurice White ones?

Where were the birthday 'celebrations' on Bowies 60th birthday?

I'm dreading Tuesday, I'll drown in all the gushing.

Mist.

09 Jan 2017, 01:14 #29

Thoroughly enjoyed the programme but agreed the label rather betrayed the contents and it told us very little of the last five years. As we fast approach the first anniversary of that awful day the programme did endorse a personal feeling that Bowie has left a vast legacy of music, images and words that I will treasure until I join him in slipping off this mortal coil, and however long that is I know my time will be warmer and more pleasurable for being a Bowie fan.
There are some people trying to sell home made DVD-R's of this already on various sites and FB pages. Have they no shame? Any chance to cash in on a dead man.

It's already free and easy on youtube and Bowie Station.

I too was a little bummed by the back and forth between the 60's and 70's to the now. I thought there would be more talk about the process of the recording in recent years and a feature on Bowie Is as well as more in depth focus on Lazarus.

09 Jan 2017, 01:26 #30

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see people offering DVDs of the programme for sale. I can see a case for someone making and burning a DVD then asking people to pay the cost of the DVD disc and shipping, since people around the world will be interested in the programme, but to do it as a commercial profit making venture seems a bit 'off' to me.

Mist.

09 Jan 2017, 01:48 #31

Mist, in the past 4 years or so, all I have seen is people trying to make money out of over the top prices on items that are just not worth what is being asked. So many multiple releases of the same album on all colour vinyl formats.

Aside from the Five Years box set, I have not bothered buying a single items with Bowie's name on it over the past decade or so outside of the two studio albums and the Lazarus OST.

09 Jan 2017, 02:01 #32

I didn't even bother with Lazarus, basically a triple album of Bowie covers with only 5 sides!! No way. I have a couple of coloured items that I think look good, but like you, I never buy multiple copies of anything. In fact apart from bootlegs, I don't buy very much vinyl. I've even quit the 40th anniversary picture disc things.

Mist.

09 Jan 2017, 08:50 #33

It's worth adding that the subtitles on the broadcast got several lyrics wrong.

09 Jan 2017, 11:05 #34

A few silly errors again. Some graphics were too distracting.

Need to watch again properly

Last edited by paulkinder on 09 Jan 2017, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

09 Jan 2017, 11:10 #35

Agreed. I think it definitely requires another watch even if for the cool Hype and Spiders bits.

With the content so powerful it did feel that it got a little out of hand with the graphics and over stylised POP BANF WHIZZ of the effects.

09 Jan 2017, 11:16 #36

Hangman, your posting style reminds me of when Rubbishness created a new friendly log in (that was just a piss take), but you could tell every word was typed with gritted teeth.

09 Jan 2017, 11:23 #37

I think I overcompensate after I've been too scathing.

09 Jan 2017, 12:36 #38

Like many, I think a lot of the disappointment came from the misleading claims that'd been made about the documentary beforehand.
We didn't get what we'd been led to believe we'd get.
Yes, it was good to see the Hype footage with the BBC session version of The Supermen overdubbed onto it,
but what remote relevance it had to anything The Last Five years purported to be, I don't know.
The skimpy treatment of the actual 'last five years' was another letdown.
Last edited by Larranaga on 09 Jan 2017, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

09 Jan 2017, 14:06 #39

Unfortunately, I just don't think there is actually a lot of existing footage from The Last Five Years. Much of the footage seems to be recreated or from the London production of "Lazarus". For a man who did so much during The Last Five Years, he was still pretty much a ghost...

09 Jan 2017, 14:12 #40

Could've show a bit of Arnold Layne at the RAH. And then had 20 minutes about Pin Ups to put it into context.