The Last Five Years by BBC

The Last Five Years by BBC

January 7th, 2017, 9:32 pm #1

Watching is now, the amount of footage from 1970s is disappointing considering the documentary title. What's your impression?
Last edited by Hjalmberi on January 7th, 2017, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 7th, 2017, 11:11 pm #2

I think they overused the gimmick of isolating his voice stem as if they had uncovered new material. They did it about 10 times. Overall nicely edited but ultimately a triumph of editing over content. They actually left quite a lot uncovered from his last years. They started talking about the next day album but neglected to go into the finished product and how it was received in any depth. Also the documentary ended rather abruptly - they could have said something about his legacy, the cast recordings, and such. As anticipated we didn't learn anything we didn't know already because the main players weren't participating. The rest were interviewed in the last documentary.

January 7th, 2017, 11:25 pm #3

Watching is now, the amount of footage from 1970s is disappointing considering the documentary title. What's your impression?
I'm pretty disappointed tbh. Given the quality of the original Five Years doc I was, perhaps unrealistically, expecting this to be similarly good. But with very little (and I mean very little!) archive to work with it wasn't going to have the same impact.

Strange to say, but yes, too much 70s content! Pretty lame to try and tie in Lazarus to the D Dogs show, or Stars Are Out Tonight to DBs views on fame in the 70s, just so the 90 mins could be padded out with familiar, albeit great, archive.

I am actually starting to tire of seeing TV at a desk pulling songs apart, plus dropping bare DB vocals over his videos, which worked really well for Nacho's unofficial trailer, got boring here too.

What it mostly lacked for me was the presence of DB himself. I really liked the opening section on the Reality tour, with some genuine fun and revealing footage from the man himself, plus people who knew him well, professionally at least.

As for TND and Blackstar, I didn't get anything near to the excitement I felt reading those entries in the new Nicholas Pegg edition.

Highlights for me were any behind the scenes stuff - wish we could have seen more from the video shoots, WAWN approached that, but even that felt like we weren't being given the best stuff.

Oh well.

January 8th, 2017, 12:52 am #4

As a documentary it wasn't good at all, it was all over the place and had no real structure despite being chronological. Seemed like they've used everything they got and stretched that too thinly to 90 minutes. That said, it was an emotional watch for me, particularly tonight.

January 8th, 2017, 1:17 am #5

I can hear ya. It was great but neither fish nor fowl. It couldn't decide whether it was about his his last five years or a biography.

Fantastic clips. Interviews were good. Hadn't seen the Hype 'Supermen' clip before or some of that black and white Diamond Dogs tour footage. Great that they got to talk to so many people but it was spread thin. We got 1 minute soundbites I bet the original footage is great and a lot longer. The end was heartfelt though.

January 8th, 2017, 2:06 am #6

Think it was wonderful. Emotional yet full of joy and loads of stuff I didnt know or realise. Could have done without the coda of course. "Mouse part?" Visconti killing the mood as per usual.

Jx

"Look up here, I'm in danger"

January 8th, 2017, 2:12 am #7

I can hear ya. It was great but neither fish nor fowl. It couldn't decide whether it was about his his last five years or a biography.

Fantastic clips. Interviews were good. Hadn't seen the Hype 'Supermen' clip before or some of that black and white Diamond Dogs tour footage. Great that they got to talk to so many people but it was spread thin. We got 1 minute soundbites I bet the original footage is great and a lot longer. The end was heartfelt though.
I enjoyed it - but was a bit shocked they didn't include much from "The Next day" at all. Not even a section on the title song/video. That's strange, right?

I'd love to know what the original "wrist slitting" song Bowie wanted at the end of Lazarus might have been.

January 8th, 2017, 2:17 am #8

So did he.
"Schtum!"

January 8th, 2017, 8:31 am #9

I enjoyed it - but was a bit shocked they didn't include much from "The Next day" at all. Not even a section on the title song/video. That's strange, right?

I'd love to know what the original "wrist slitting" song Bowie wanted at the end of Lazarus might have been.
So much not covered, no mention at all of the exhibition and the attendant European visit and advert, nothing on the TND video, nothing from James Murphy, and loads more I can't be bothered to think of.

Really wasn't expecting it to focus on the 70s, especially as the OP said, the title refers to 2011-2016.

Seems the content was dictated by who they could get for interviews - not a great basis for making a doc...

January 8th, 2017, 9:27 am #10

Utter dross.

January 8th, 2017, 10:42 am #11

And again I shed a tear........

January 8th, 2017, 11:10 am #12

Agree with Doc , loved the Hype stuff and the bits about Cine filming DDs .

January 8th, 2017, 11:56 am #13

And again I shed a tear........
A bit disappointed, there could have been more leading up to the highliine festival and assumptions of that, no last interview, no last performance or Arcade Fire , there could have been a lot more.
What I was happy with was the Hype, 1974 live footage and snippets of the supposed 1984 musical footage .

January 8th, 2017, 1:11 pm #14

I really really enjoyed the program
I didn't expect there to be any new footage from the last few years, if there was to be any it would have been widely known beforehand.
We have to accept that there is very little left that is new, Bowie kept things very private and the program was never going to suddenly find hours of film of him post-2004 - if it was there, we would know about it.
As far as I know, the extra few seconds of him shown during the WAWN video is the only new footage we've seen for literally years.
It was good to see

January 8th, 2017, 1:36 pm #15

I don't agree - what about the new footage we saw last year from the Life On Mars? video shoot? I'm not hankering to see footage of Bowie frail ot struggling, but from the little we saw from WAWN he seemed to be on good form and having a laugh as usual. Would have liked to have seen more of that. Didn't expect it, but if you advertise a 90 minute program billed as covering 2011-2016, that's what should be in it right?

January 8th, 2017, 1:59 pm #16

I don't think a documentary has to be new footage, it's just telling a story in whatever way is appropriate.
As die-hard fans we will have scoured the internet for any and every bit of Bowie footage, so there is not much that is new to us, but for the general viewer, much of what was on the program would be new.
Don't get me wrong, I would dearly love to see any unreleased footage post-2004 but I am doubtful whether it exists, and I certainly didn't expect to see it in this documentary.
As a general summing up of the last 5 years, I thought it was pretty good.

January 8th, 2017, 2:01 pm #17

To me it was just ok..the unseen footage was more like fragments, but interesting ones nonetheless. I did think it was a it disjointed and it was hard to tell what narrative they were going for. Also agree the Diamond Dogs stuff seemed sort of out of place (though that might be a prejudice of mine, since Ive never been a fan of that particular album, or tour). The TV stuff was interesting, though it would have been more of a surprise had we not been spoiled on it.

Could have been better, but worth checking out.

January 8th, 2017, 4:34 pm #18

Overall impressions: underwhelming and a missed opportunity. Promised far less than it's title promised.

Firstly, the prologue concerning the Reality tour went on far, far too long - about 20 minutes or so. What on earth for? We all know what happened. He took ill in 2004 and that lead to the decade of silence. End of. That should've been wrapped up in about 5 minutes or so. Instead, it just went on and on.

Ditto, the The Next Day and Blackstar bands playing live alongside Bowie's isolated vocals. Again, what was the purpose of this? Why not just play the recorded tracks. Nice to see the band members, sure. But I would've been more interested in hearing them talk about that period in the recording studio, rather than to hear them play a basic demo run through of the tracks.

Very little insight into the making of these albums. Nor how they were received and reviewed when they came out. With the exception of the very likable Maria Schneider, the band members of Blackstar were only seen talking rather briefly and as for any analysis as to what was motivating Bowie at that time, well, all we got was that he was in great spirits and wearing slippers in the studio. Wow.

No inkling as to why he remained silent during the last decade and how this retreat from public view once more made him a figure of intrigue and mystique. I know this was not a documentry about his private life, but it would've been far more interesting to at least attempt to give some clue as to how and why his reputation soared once again during that last decade. Instead, we got zilch.

Lazarus the play (like the final two albums) got barely touched upon, in terms of the creative processes behind it. I wanted to see more of Enda Walsh and Ivo Van Hove, and how Bowie worked with them, what he was thinking, doing. They - like the Donny McCaslin band - were virtually given a few token minutes airtime and that was it. Absurd.

Far, far, far too much footage of the 70's/60's stuff (especially the Diamond Dogs tour). All - like the silly, overlong prologue - at the expense of concentrating of the final years. It seemed disjointed and needless, this flitting backwards and forwards. It was like the makers were, in the end, just using to it fill the time. Because, other than that, it didn't really belong in this documentry. Which after all, purported to be about his final five years .

Speaking of which, no mention of the V @ A exhibiton. Inexplicable, that.

No mention either (except maybe in passing) of how his return was greeted in 2013.

I would've liked, too, more information on the background to the last four videos. With the exception of Stars , it seemed they were rather skirted past and in the case of The Next Day , not even mentioned or shown (but we seen footage of Heroes and Diamond Dogs from the 70's, so that made it alright then. Not.)

There were some good moments: I especially liked Maria Schneider's contribution and hearing the isolated vocals (to a degree). But overall, this was a documentry that missed a golden opportunity. I wanted to see a programme that added something new to exactly what lay behind the creativity of Bowie's last years. Both professionally and personally. Sadly, what I was left with was a sense of disappointment. Like I said, a missed opportunity. Shame really.

January 8th, 2017, 4:39 pm #19

I haven't watched the complete thing yet but what I did notice near the beginning was that it said 'The Final Five Years *of his career*, not his actual final five years on the planet.

His career effectively ended in early 2004 with the heart problem, so the final five years of his career would be 1999 - 2004.

Mist.

January 8th, 2017, 6:01 pm #20

Overall impressions: underwhelming and a missed opportunity. Promised far less than it's title promised.

Firstly, the prologue concerning the Reality tour went on far, far too long - about 20 minutes or so. What on earth for? We all know what happened. He took ill in 2004 and that lead to the decade of silence. End of. That should've been wrapped up in about 5 minutes or so. Instead, it just went on and on.

Ditto, the The Next Day and Blackstar bands playing live alongside Bowie's isolated vocals. Again, what was the purpose of this? Why not just play the recorded tracks. Nice to see the band members, sure. But I would've been more interested in hearing them talk about that period in the recording studio, rather than to hear them play a basic demo run through of the tracks.

Very little insight into the making of these albums. Nor how they were received and reviewed when they came out. With the exception of the very likable Maria Schneider, the band members of Blackstar were only seen talking rather briefly and as for any analysis as to what was motivating Bowie at that time, well, all we got was that he was in great spirits and wearing slippers in the studio. Wow.

No inkling as to why he remained silent during the last decade and how this retreat from public view once more made him a figure of intrigue and mystique. I know this was not a documentry about his private life, but it would've been far more interesting to at least attempt to give some clue as to how and why his reputation soared once again during that last decade. Instead, we got zilch.

Lazarus the play (like the final two albums) got barely touched upon, in terms of the creative processes behind it. I wanted to see more of Enda Walsh and Ivo Van Hove, and how Bowie worked with them, what he was thinking, doing. They - like the Donny McCaslin band - were virtually given a few token minutes airtime and that was it. Absurd.

Far, far, far too much footage of the 70's/60's stuff (especially the Diamond Dogs tour). All - like the silly, overlong prologue - at the expense of concentrating of the final years. It seemed disjointed and needless, this flitting backwards and forwards. It was like the makers were, in the end, just using to it fill the time. Because, other than that, it didn't really belong in this documentry. Which after all, purported to be about his final five years .

Speaking of which, no mention of the V @ A exhibiton. Inexplicable, that.

No mention either (except maybe in passing) of how his return was greeted in 2013.

I would've liked, too, more information on the background to the last four videos. With the exception of Stars , it seemed they were rather skirted past and in the case of The Next Day , not even mentioned or shown (but we seen footage of Heroes and Diamond Dogs from the 70's, so that made it alright then. Not.)

There were some good moments: I especially liked Maria Schneider's contribution and hearing the isolated vocals (to a degree). But overall, this was a documentry that missed a golden opportunity. I wanted to see a programme that added something new to exactly what lay behind the creativity of Bowie's last years. Both professionally and personally. Sadly, what I was left with was a sense of disappointment. Like I said, a missed opportunity. Shame really.
Have to agree with every word from Dash Away......I couldn't wait to see this (TND and Blackstar are up there with anything from the 70s for me regardless of the circumstances of their release) but good Jesus its a mess, a bewildering mess

Its great to see footage from The Hype and Diamond Dogs but what the hell did they have to do with anything really?.......and did we really need a reminder of Space Oddity or Ziggy? (not to mention a dodgy performance of "Five Years") when its mentioned how he stopped doing interviews I thought to myself "and this is exactly why!! people can't get past the bloody 70s" why on earth would he want to talk about the same ol shit 40 years after the fact

A truly wasted opportunity, if they needed to pad things out they should have just gone for an hour or go the whole hog and do a complete career overview, i think maybe it was a rush job and it had to be ready for the anniversary, its the only explanation that makes sense because I can't believe this would have been considered good enough without a big anniversary deadline to meet

So yeah.....its a bit shit

January 8th, 2017, 6:09 pm #21

I haven't watched the complete thing yet but what I did notice near the beginning was that it said 'The Final Five Years *of his career*, not his actual final five years on the planet.

His career effectively ended in early 2004 with the heart problem, so the final five years of his career would be 1999 - 2004.

Mist.
Cant say id agree that 99-04 were the last 5 years of his career,not sure how you make that out, apart from not touring and not giving interviews he released records, videos and wrote a play in his last 5 years, his career ended the day he died

January 8th, 2017, 7:45 pm #22

Have to agree with every word from Dash Away......I couldn't wait to see this (TND and Blackstar are up there with anything from the 70s for me regardless of the circumstances of their release) but good Jesus its a mess, a bewildering mess

Its great to see footage from The Hype and Diamond Dogs but what the hell did they have to do with anything really?.......and did we really need a reminder of Space Oddity or Ziggy? (not to mention a dodgy performance of "Five Years") when its mentioned how he stopped doing interviews I thought to myself "and this is exactly why!! people can't get past the bloody 70s" why on earth would he want to talk about the same ol shit 40 years after the fact

A truly wasted opportunity, if they needed to pad things out they should have just gone for an hour or go the whole hog and do a complete career overview, i think maybe it was a rush job and it had to be ready for the anniversary, its the only explanation that makes sense because I can't believe this would have been considered good enough without a big anniversary deadline to meet

So yeah.....its a bit shit

Michael I know your 2004 comment is a little tongue in cheek, but they actually put up title cards every now and again, 2013, 2014 etc., but they bore very little relevance to what went on on screen! So disappointing.

Heard some people in the queue behind us at Brixton saying how good it was and they didn't know he'd lived in Berlin. FFS!

January 8th, 2017, 9:45 pm #23

I think it was made for the general public. Long time obsessive Bowie fans (such as we are) are never gonna be completely happy.

For me it was a mixture of new,old, boring, pointless and interesting at the same time.

January 8th, 2017, 9:50 pm #24

ps. Without the voices of Coco, Duncan, Iman, Lexi there's gonna be a whole side of his life missing. That's perhaps how it should be as after all they're still learning to cope.

January 8th, 2017, 9:55 pm #25

Maybe Coco has run off with Mr. Jones?

Apparently Bowie had a "long-treasured fantasy of a “Houdini disappearance”!! Who knew?

http://trynka.net/2017/01/lazarus-a-tri ... -memories/

Mist.

January 8th, 2017, 10:37 pm #26

Cant say id agree that 99-04 were the last 5 years of his career,not sure how you make that out, apart from not touring and not giving interviews he released records, videos and wrote a play in his last 5 years, his career ended the day he died
Mr. Bowie's career is far from ended: Col. Tom Parker was asked when Elvis died: "What are you going to do now?"
He said: "I'll keep on managing him."

His career may be just beginning, depending on what he has squirreled away in the vaults.
"Schtum!"

January 9th, 2017, 12:25 am #27

Maybe Coco has run off with Mr. Jones?

Apparently Bowie had a "long-treasured fantasy of a “Houdini disappearance”!! Who knew?

http://trynka.net/2017/01/lazarus-a-tri ... -memories/

Mist.
Thoroughly enjoyed the programme but agreed the label rather betrayed the contents and it told us very little of the last five years. As we fast approach the first anniversary of that awful day the programme did endorse a personal feeling that Bowie has left a vast legacy of music, images and words that I will treasure until I join him in slipping off this mortal coil, and however long that is I know my time will be warmer and more pleasurable for being a Bowie fan.

January 9th, 2017, 1:13 am #28

The problem is that just about everyone and their dog seems determined to destroy his legacy.

Just leave him and his songs the fuck alone. As I said to someone recently, nobody goes around recreating Da Vincis paintings, so why should they do it with Bowies stuff?

As for tributes or as they're called now, 'celebrations', where are the Lou Reed ones, the Prince ones, the Leonard Cohen ones, the Maurice White ones?

Where were the birthday 'celebrations' on Bowies 60th birthday?

I'm dreading Tuesday, I'll drown in all the gushing.

Mist.

January 9th, 2017, 1:14 am #29

Thoroughly enjoyed the programme but agreed the label rather betrayed the contents and it told us very little of the last five years. As we fast approach the first anniversary of that awful day the programme did endorse a personal feeling that Bowie has left a vast legacy of music, images and words that I will treasure until I join him in slipping off this mortal coil, and however long that is I know my time will be warmer and more pleasurable for being a Bowie fan.
There are some people trying to sell home made DVD-R's of this already on various sites and FB pages. Have they no shame? Any chance to cash in on a dead man.

It's already free and easy on youtube and Bowie Station.

I too was a little bummed by the back and forth between the 60's and 70's to the now. I thought there would be more talk about the process of the recording in recent years and a feature on Bowie Is as well as more in depth focus on Lazarus.

January 9th, 2017, 1:26 am #30

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see people offering DVDs of the programme for sale. I can see a case for someone making and burning a DVD then asking people to pay the cost of the DVD disc and shipping, since people around the world will be interested in the programme, but to do it as a commercial profit making venture seems a bit 'off' to me.

Mist.

January 9th, 2017, 1:48 am #31

Mist, in the past 4 years or so, all I have seen is people trying to make money out of over the top prices on items that are just not worth what is being asked. So many multiple releases of the same album on all colour vinyl formats.

Aside from the Five Years box set, I have not bothered buying a single items with Bowie's name on it over the past decade or so outside of the two studio albums and the Lazarus OST.

January 9th, 2017, 2:01 am #32

I didn't even bother with Lazarus, basically a triple album of Bowie covers with only 5 sides!! No way. I have a couple of coloured items that I think look good, but like you, I never buy multiple copies of anything. In fact apart from bootlegs, I don't buy very much vinyl. I've even quit the 40th anniversary picture disc things.

Mist.

January 9th, 2017, 8:50 am #33

It's worth adding that the subtitles on the broadcast got several lyrics wrong.

January 9th, 2017, 11:05 am #34

A few silly errors again. Some graphics were too distracting.

Need to watch again properly

Last edited by paulkinder on January 9th, 2017, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2017, 11:10 am #35

Agreed. I think it definitely requires another watch even if for the cool Hype and Spiders bits.

With the content so powerful it did feel that it got a little out of hand with the graphics and over stylised POP BANF WHIZZ of the effects.

January 9th, 2017, 11:16 am #36

Hangman, your posting style reminds me of when Rubbishness created a new friendly log in (that was just a piss take), but you could tell every word was typed with gritted teeth.

January 9th, 2017, 11:23 am #37

I think I overcompensate after I've been too scathing.

January 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm #38

Like many, I think a lot of the disappointment came from the misleading claims that'd been made about the documentary beforehand.
We didn't get what we'd been led to believe we'd get.
Yes, it was good to see the Hype footage with the BBC session version of The Supermen overdubbed onto it,
but what remote relevance it had to anything The Last Five years purported to be, I don't know.
The skimpy treatment of the actual 'last five years' was another letdown.
Last edited by Larranaga on January 9th, 2017, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2017, 2:06 pm #39

Unfortunately, I just don't think there is actually a lot of existing footage from The Last Five Years. Much of the footage seems to be recreated or from the London production of "Lazarus". For a man who did so much during The Last Five Years, he was still pretty much a ghost...

January 9th, 2017, 2:12 pm #40

Could've show a bit of Arnold Layne at the RAH. And then had 20 minutes about Pin Ups to put it into context.

January 9th, 2017, 2:16 pm #41

Oh, and I liked the idea of the band playing the songs live in their respective places and adding Bowie's studio vocals. Should've stuck to that.

January 9th, 2017, 7:48 pm #42

Disapointing after the first five years, but still a good watch.
As has been said, they could only work with what they've been given and as db himself had gone to great lengths to keep most of his life out of public view during the period, then thats the way it should be.
TV and i don't mean television, is becoming a bore.

Still, better than Casualty.

Btw, liked the mash up near the begining.

January 9th, 2017, 9:15 pm #43

its repeated tonight bbc2 11.15.

January 9th, 2017, 9:17 pm #44

Oh, and I liked the idea of the band playing the songs live in their respective places and adding Bowie's studio vocals. Should've stuck to that.
And they could have played more original demos.