The Bowie Years ,

9:07 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #1

What are the opinions of the members on here for these magazines. 
   I have now bought 3/4 of these , the final one is due on the 18th October, these are difficult to get hold of, the only places seem to be selected HMV stores.

12:34 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #2

Nicely produced glossy magazines that attempt to give the casual music fan an overview of Bowie’s career and the man himself.

Not essential to own,and definitely not at 10 quid a copy.  Thats 40 quid! for 4 magazines  ( Prices rounded up ) unless you went for their 4 for the price of 3 deal online which is still expensive.The magazines contain absolutely nothing new for a die hard fan. I can think of better things to spend 40 quid on tbh.

In summary, yet another fleecing cash making opportunity for the publisher on the back of Bowie’s death.

Save up another 27 quid, add it to the 40 quid you would save on not buying these, and get the Historic Newspapers Bowie Book off Amazon.   

This review is based on lengthy flicking through of the pages of these magazines in the library that is W. H. Smiths 😉
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

3:22 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #3

SHHWEEET! wrote: This review is based on lengthy flicking through of the pages of these magazines in the library that is W. H. Smiths 😉
Haha - also guilty of the same thing M'Lud - until Mavis the "shelf replenisher" comes along and gives me her evil "are you buying that or what?" eye...

3:35 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #4

I couldn't even be arsed to browse em - more out of soul-weary ennui than fear of Mavis, though!
You see these things and suddenly Camus becomes clear... 
New fans have to start somewhere, I guess, and I suppose it might be a quick way to get an overview if you didn't know where to begin,
but...that cash cow must be sick of being milked a-lately.

4:57 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #5

Larranaga wrote: New fans have to start somewhere, I guess, and I suppose it might be a quick way to get an overview if you didn't know where to begin,
but...that cash cow must be sick of being milked a-lately.
They do, but there are any amount of books on Bowie that don’t cost 40 quid that would serve equal purpose.

A cow has only a certain amount of time where it can be productively milked then it’s udders start to dry up and get infected with mastitis.  

Surely the post death Bowie cash cow must be getting near slowing down its milk production by now?

Booooooooowie 🐄
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

5:42 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #6

SHHWEEET! wrote: there are any amount of books on Bowie that don’t cost 40 quid that would serve equal purpose...
Surely the post death Bowie cash cow must be getting near slowing down its milk production by now?
Fingers crossed, eh!

7:02 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #7

I am a sucker for these magazines, but there is even a better one that covers 1947-1976 , its published by Mojo and is only £7.99 and actually is miles better than the other publication. 

8:54 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #8

west406 wrote: I am a sucker for these magazines, but there is even a better one that covers 1947-1976 , its published by Mojo and is only £7.99 and actually is miles better than the other publication. 
Time for another visit to W H Smith’s for another lengthy flick😉

Only £7.99! You can nearly buy one of those Bowie bootleg CDs that keep appearing on Amazon for that. 😉

10:02 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #9

Trouble is I bought them all years ago for 3/4 times the price, but they’re still better than the ones appearing on Amazon !