The A to Z of David Bowie Podcast #30

August 21st, 2018, 9:11 am #1

The 30th episode of THE A TO Z OF DAVID BOWIE podcast created by Marc Riley, Rob Hughes and sound and edited assisted by Howard Nock is available now.

This episode covers the letter L and discusses the topics: Let's Dance, Lift Off with Ayshea and The Legendary Stardust Cowboy.

Listen in HERE

These podcasts are completely free of charge.
a2zbowie.jpg
a2zbowie.jpg

August 22nd, 2018, 3:45 am #2

Never thought about the 'church on time' thing before but yeah, that makes sense.

August 22nd, 2018, 6:50 pm #3

I’d never heard that story about Rico the saxophonist from the Beat not having a clue who Bowie was or what he looked like when they were supporting him at Milton Keynes on the Serious Moonlight Tour.

Thinking Bowie was a waiter backstage and asking him for a bottle of water, hilarious!
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

August 22nd, 2018, 9:32 pm #4

I love these podcasts so much  - am dreading when they run out after Z (Zed NOT Zee)

August 23rd, 2018, 7:39 am #5

Markmywurdz wrote: (Zed NOT Zee)

SHHWEEET! Likes this
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

August 23rd, 2018, 12:02 pm #6

I think Bowie just called them 'Beat' when he thanked them at Milton Keynes, so he probably didn't really know who they were either!
Just think, it could've been Dexy's if Rowland wasn't such a gobshite...   

September 3rd, 2018, 2:06 pm #7

I remember watching Starman on Lift Off With Ayshea. Never seen it since.
the future ain't what it used to be

September 3rd, 2018, 6:00 pm #8

XenonCodex59 wrote: I remember watching Starman on Lift Off With Ayshea. Never seen it since.

I never saw it. Probably never will now since most episodes have been wiped

September 3rd, 2018, 9:50 pm #9

First time I saw him on TV. Blew my mind. I was only 8. He looked like he's just landed from Mars.

September 4th, 2018, 9:19 am #10

doctoroctopussy wrote: First time I saw him on TV. Blew my mind. I was only 8. He looked like he's just landed from Mars.
First time I saw him, too - watched it with my cousins who were a couple of years older than me.
They loved it, but I was only 10 and wished Metal Guru had been on instead!?
Bloody kids, don't know when they're well off...

September 4th, 2018, 9:42 am #11

Lift off being one of my staples at the time along with things like Jackanory, meant I also caught Bowie's performance.  
I was similarly blown away, something that retrospective viewings of the TOTP's performance for instance, cannot capture.
It was '72, flares and bad haircuts, and while a bit of glitter was around Bowie actually stood alone in pulling-it-off.
Of course, I was much older than 8 at the time, hell yeah! I was 9.  
Within a couple of months I was making Bowie outfits for my action man.

September 4th, 2018, 12:03 pm #12

Just for the record, I'd like to make clear that by April 1972, aged 13 1/2, I was way too mature for any Action Man nonsense. In fact as a child I never did play with dolls. That came much later...
However, I was the first boy at my school to arrive one Monday morning bedecked in Brothel Creeper shoes. Oh, how they all laughed in merry mockery. Funny that by the ensuing weeks they were all wearing them. See, once a style icon, always a...
Seeing Bowie on the telly the first time on Lift Off wasn't that much of a shock, as I'd already seen Alice Cooper. Now he really was something else.
But I did get the Bowie haircut which caused some amount of concern to the old man, with comments like "what do you want to look like that poofter for?" etc.
About a year later when he clocked me sporting a pair of Oxford Bags, a "Star Waister" sweater and platform shoes, he was rendered speechless.
No, I never wore make-up. That would have killed him.
Bring back Top Of The Pops!
the future ain't what it used to be