That Hunky Dory vibe

August 5th, 2018, 12:36 pm #1

There's a relaxed vibe to a lot of Hunky Dory isn't there?

Even on the tracks where Bowie was expressing his own fears for the future, they were married to tunes and production that was gentle, and soothing.

He would have been loathe to admit it later, but the domesticity of settling in more in Haddon Hall, with the new baby, and Angie, at that time probably had a lot to do with that. Someone here I think linked to an interview from 2008 or so where Bowie talked about how easy it was to write Life on Mars, which showed his state of mind at that time. Mick Woodmansey's book discusses this period a bit, as the Spiders were living in Haddon Hall too.

I'm actually listening to the Medical Sans Frontieres benefit gig from October 2010 where Robyn Hitchcock performed Hunky Dory now, it's better than I thought. I'm a big fan of Robyn, but less so his covers of other artist's songs usually, apart from the fun medley he'd do in some gigs of 70's pop. His voice is so individual, and so right for his own songs, and to me I find his voice often not right for covers, but the musicianship is of a very good standard (the gig can be found on the Internet Archive easily).

I so hope we hear more Bowie from the Hunky Dory period...not just the Glastonbury gig ideally, but some of the outtakes (Rupert the Riley, I've got Lightning, the Shadowman, How Lucky You Are, Looking for a Friend - the Arnold Corns version, and more) from that time, and even different takes or more different mixes - those on Bowpromo and the Ryko Hunky Dory cd are interesting, the more the merrier! :)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

August 5th, 2018, 2:24 pm #2

I loved this period - for all the reasons stated above.

He was hungry for a new publishing deal and a new record company, which is often when artists write their best material and had a Hall of East Yorkshiremen to feed.

A guy I know who worked with Bob Grace (much later) at Chrysalis just off Oxford St said DB was really desperate to be signed by them and (has been much publicised) twice Chris Wright (co-owner) turned him down on the strength Bowpromo. 

Again, as has been well documented, DB and Angie called into their offices a lot and Chris and Terry used to tell their receptionist if the Bowie's called...they were out. Chris later called it his Beatle moment. Bob ended up taking 25% of the publishing royalties until Bowie made it big.

There is no doubt that the Spiders took Bowie from his Simon and Garfunkel/Bee Gee phase (2nd album) to harder rock, to somewhere in between with Hunky Dory and then on again to Ziggy.

My personal favourite period. 

And of course, all the extra tracks you mentioned from this era, Rupert the Riley, I've got Lightning, the Shadowman, How Lucky You Are, Looking for a Friend plus Right On Mother etc are available to hear in pretty much studio quality on youtube.

August 5th, 2018, 2:29 pm #3

There's a different Shadowman version , recorded during TMWSTW Sessions, You can't find this on YouTube or even bootlegs, same lyrics and different vocals

August 5th, 2018, 2:39 pm #4

Interesting, I've not heard of this other version of The Shadowman, only the well known 1971 version, and the Toy era remake.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

August 6th, 2018, 3:27 pm #5

MGOSCH wrote: There's a different Shadowman version , recorded during TMWSTW Sessions
There is?
I read somewhere (Pegg?) that Lightning Frightening was called The Man when it was recorded (April '71, post-MWSTW) and that bootleggers used to get it mixed up with Shadowman, but I've got to 'fess I've not heard of a MWSTW outtake of Shadowman itself.
Happy to be proved wrong, though!
What's your source for this, MGOSCH?  

August 6th, 2018, 3:52 pm #6

I Gave You an info.unfortunately i can't Tell more details.

August 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm #7

The cleanest sounding one is on The Trident Tapes bootleg, and also in the "Ballad Of A Thin Man" set.
I think the confusion possibly comes from some boots using an old acetate version (missinglinksoneziggy comes to mind in particular) that sounds rather rough so may be misconstrued as a different recording but AFAIK there is just the 1971 Trident version & the Toy version.

August 6th, 2018, 4:25 pm #8

i'm talking about a different vocal take  and a longer outro

August 7th, 2018, 1:07 pm #9

MGOSCH wrote: i'm talking about a different vocal take  and a longer outro
It's main significance is in it supposedly being a MWSTW outtake, though, no? 
Visconti's said in the past that there weren't any outtakes - but he's also said that Ronson's on Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud
and I don't think anyone else's ever corroborated that, so who knows how accurate TV's memory is at this point?
It's nearly 50 years ago, after all.

Anyhow, given the 'Hunky Dory vibe' title of this thread, has anyone actually heard the Biff Rose album that Bowie got Fill Your Heart and Buzz The Fuzz from?
Nicholas Pegg pretty much said that this album had the 'Hunky Dory vibe' - can anyone confirm that?

August 7th, 2018, 4:26 pm #10

Visconty memory is really strange, now he admits tha Bolan played on London bye ta-ta