RSD

RSD

April 21st, 2018, 8:08 am #1

Today RSD. 
Curious for opinions.... especially for Earls Court and Let's Dance demo.

April 21st, 2018, 9:40 am #2

So far, only listened to side 1&2 on ..Blackout. Sounds GREAT!! 

April 21st, 2018, 10:27 am #3

Welcome to the Blackout unboxing:

Not a spectacular bit of packaging IMO.

April 21st, 2018, 2:36 pm #4

NachoNacho wrote: Welcome to the Blackout unboxing:

Not a spectacular bit of packaging IMO.
I don't know why they made a ugly cover like this, any bootleg cover is better and let's dance longer demo got few more vocals

April 21st, 2018, 6:20 pm #5

Mattis- wrote: So far, only listened to side 1&2 on ..Blackout. Sounds GREAT!! 
Good to hear you like it Mattis
I looked for the Motorhead Heroes 😆 but the shop I was in said they only had received one

April 22nd, 2018, 4:41 pm #6

Is  Rock'n Roll Suicide now the only song , officially released , we're missing

April 22nd, 2018, 7:03 pm #7

yes gotta agree the artwork for blackout is pretty disappointing. I guess any cd release will be the same.

April 22nd, 2018, 7:06 pm #8

leoloww wrote: Is  Rock'n Roll Suicide now the only song , officially released , we're missing
I think so.
but it wasn't performed at many shows. I think only on some earlier American dates.

April 22nd, 2018, 10:15 pm #9

The best performance of Rock and Roll Suicide on that tour was at the LA Forum. Nice harmonics at that venue - it infuses recordings with a natural 'reverb' sound, must be something to do with the acoustics / shape of the venue.

That said, nice quality and excellent quality are different things - I found the higher sound quality (ie sharper / clearer) recordings of Rock and Roll Suicide lacked the emotional impact of the LA version. Sometimes, bootlegs are best.

but looking forward to getting Earl's Court in some form of course :)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

April 23rd, 2018, 11:37 am #10

Just like the Berlin 78 vinyl, WTTB now on YouTube, too bad there are needle skips..

April 23rd, 2018, 12:07 pm #11

FTcollector wrote: Just like the Berlin 78 vinyl, WTTB now on YouTube, too bad there are needle skips..

Far better vocal and musical performance than Stage imo. Hope it comes out on CD later in the year (ideally with Rock'n'Roll Suicide as a bonus track).

April 23rd, 2018, 4:52 pm #12

I'm pretty sure that Rock n Roll Suicide was absent from all of the Earls Court dates

April 23rd, 2018, 5:14 pm #13

csjd wrote: I'm pretty sure that Rock n Roll Suicide was absent from all of the Earls Court dates
Did you not read Stranger's post earlier in this thread...?

April 23rd, 2018, 5:32 pm #14

Only the bit about R&R Suicide live at the LA Forum being a great audience recording. If it wasn't included on the Stage reissue when it actually was played it would be unlikely of being tacked onto Earls Court where it wasn't. Also bar the first known recording of Drive In Saturday as a bonus on Aladdin Sane, there have never been any audience recordings released officially.

April 23rd, 2018, 6:35 pm #15

That's why I said "as a bonus track"...    Jeez.

April 23rd, 2018, 7:06 pm #16

Here's my personal vinyl rip just finished yesterday, hopefully in a bit better quality than the YouTube link posted above. Edited to already fit 2 CDs and in lossless AIFF quality ready to do just that. Transfer lineage: Sony USB turntable > Audacity > ClickRepair > Audacity (w/ noise reduction & high pass filter applied) > AIFF file format. Enjoy! https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4db7e8 ... 642/638d17

April 23rd, 2018, 7:47 pm #17

libertine90 wrote: Here's my personal vinyl rip just finished yesterday, hopefully in a bit better quality than the YouTube link posted above. Edited to already fit 2 CDs and in lossless AIFF quality ready to do just that. Transfer lineage: Sony USB turntable > Audacity > ClickRepair > Audacity (w/ noise reduction & high pass filter applied) > AIFF file format. Enjoy! https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4db7e8 ... 642/638d17
Thanks! listening now :D

April 23rd, 2018, 9:03 pm #18

It's lovely! Thank you Libertine! Love those drums on TVC 15 and that version of Beauty/Beast is fantastic.

April 23rd, 2018, 10:28 pm #19

My local store had several copies of the live album and the single, and a few of the s/t and Bowie Now; I bought WttM, s/t & LD when the store opened..checked again the next day to see what was left, and all they had left was a couple Bowie Now's and a bunch of Let's Dance's.  I couldn't justify the cost of also buying Bowie Now, so I'll be waiting for that to get marked down.

Cracked Actor was one of the first things to sell out last year with a handful of copies, so my store had at least 10-12 copies of WttB this year to compensate.

April 23rd, 2018, 10:50 pm #20

Dear Luis

I'm sorry if I have offended you, I was more highlighting the drip feed nature of Bowie releases over the years. We've had about 4 goes at releasing Stage, each with an extra track or two but still not the full set list that we know would have been recorded. We've now had the delight of getting all of Earl's Court, a chunk of Berlin and a slither of Perth. If common sense prevails, Earls Court will be out on CD soon but if Rock 'n' Roll Suicide soundboard from the US leg is going to be added as a bonus I'd be shocked. More like Stage 40th Anniversary limited edition with it as the final missing piece.  I've lost count as to how many versions I bought of certain albums, all promoted as definitive at the time. I managed to break that addiction a few years ago and just content myself with downloading the music rather than being fleeced for some very eye wateringly expensive packaging. I picked up a copy of Earls Court vinyl today in London and had a look at it, nearly had a relapse, then remembered I've already got it (albeit not properly mixed). There are numerous threads on here about the treatment of the back catalogue and how many times can we buy the same thing plus the elitist nature of RSD releases.

The 78 tour is great and all new releases welcome but just get the material out to as many people as possible and stop rinsing the hardcore fanbase who are still waiting for the real gold to be released from the vaults.

April 23rd, 2018, 11:29 pm #21

R`nR Suicide will hopefully show up on a future release of Stage at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Must admit that I`m thrilled with the Welcome To The Blackout release. It has a certain "rawness" that I feel is missing from Stage. Though the 5.1 mix of Stage is brilliant.  The WTTB version of Station To Station is mindblowing. Well worth the money for this track alone...
Last edited by arne71 on April 23rd, 2018, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2018, 11:36 pm #22

I missed RSD - I usually do, getting ready for my new job, and the friend who gets RSD Bowie stuff usually has been rushed off his feet.
I don't like sharing stuff online usually but I'm working where it really got going for Bowie, it was nice to see the statue up close :)
Anyway the download sounds really good so far - Sound and Vision finally sounds really good!
There are still those weird harmonic sounds there, but they were clearly in the original performance, but the mix is so much better now.
All the attacks on Tony V, over something that was being played about with by so many people (so much is done by committee these days), hopefully things like this will wash all that away, it should do :)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 24th, 2018, 12:04 am #23

arne71 wrote: R`nR Suicide will hopefully show up on a future release of Stage at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Must admit that I`m thrilled with the Welcome To The Blackout release. It has a certain "rawness" that I feel is missing from Stage. Though the 5.1 mix of Stage is brilliant.  The WTTB version of Station To Station is mindblowing. Well worth the money for this track alone...
Alabama Song is on Stage. Think this song replaced R n R Suicide in the set list.  Both were performed at the Detroit, after that it was dropped from the set, so why would it be released as a bonus track when it wasn't performed at the show anyway.

April 24th, 2018, 12:06 am #24

libertine90 wrote: Here's my personal vinyl rip just finished yesterday, hopefully in a bit better quality than the YouTube link posted above. Edited to already fit 2 CDs and in lossless AIFF quality ready to do just that. Transfer lineage: Sony USB turntable > Audacity > ClickRepair > Audacity (w/ noise reduction & high pass filter applied) > AIFF file format. Enjoy! https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4db7e8 ... 642/638d17
Thank you so much

April 24th, 2018, 12:14 am #25

rawmoonie wrote:
arne71 wrote: R`nR Suicide will hopefully show up on a future release of Stage at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Must admit that I`m thrilled with the Welcome To The Blackout release. It has a certain "rawness" that I feel is missing from Stage. Though the 5.1 mix of Stage is brilliant.  The WTTB version of Station To Station is mindblowing. Well worth the money for this track alone...
Alabama Song is on Stage. Think this song replaced R n R Suicide in the set list.  Both were performed at the Detroit, after that it was dropped from the set, so why would it be released as a bonus track when it wasn't performed at the show anyway.
he said "hopefully". Why would it be released - if not on Stage, on some release? Because it was damn good.

Bowie dropped it, as he admitted, because the crowd got too excited and overwhelmed by the Ziggy section by the end of Rock and Roll Suicide - you can imagine how that and the build up to it would have dwarfed some of the tracks that followed for a large enough proportion of the crowd at some shows for Bowie (and those who advised him on the show), to cull it.

Drive in Saturday in an audience recorded form got a release, anything could happen. I can't be sure my personal vote for the LA Forum version would be taken up, but one would hope that Rock and Roll Suicide live from 78 could see a release in some form, some point.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 24th, 2018, 12:27 am #26

NB here's something else from 78 that could be resolved.

A while back, someone - doctoropussy I think - noticed that TVC15 on the Stage DVD was different.

However my comparisons just now suggest it was not different to the LP version. If that is the case, then the CD version had a different version of TVC15 - not the DVD, if you follow.

The difference I recall was described as the vocals going 'up' towards the end on one, and down towards the end on the other. At least one other poster here verified this at the time - I have a feeling PK was one of them.

We do have quite a lot of 78 stuff released now of course. My personal hope would be that a box set of odds and ends from over the years could pick things like this up, but who knows what might or might not happen.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 24th, 2018, 1:43 am #27

I also read that TVC 15 comment a while back, and was wondering. Someone was also saying that one version was way more compressed. Guess a proper comparison is needed.

I'm in the process of ascertaining which night each track of Welcome to the Blackout hails, by comparing to the bootlegs.
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: NB here's something else from 78 that could be resolved.

A while back, someone - doctoropussy I think - noticed that TVC15 on the Stage DVD was different.

However my comparisons just now suggest it was not different to the LP version. If that is the case, then the CD version had a different version of TVC15 - not the DVD, if you follow.

The difference I recall was described as the vocals going 'up' towards the end on one, and down towards the end on the other. At least one other poster here verified this at the time - I have a feeling PK was one of them.

We do have quite a lot of 78 stuff released now of course. My personal hope would be that a box set of odds and ends from over the years could pick things like this up, but who knows what might or might not happen.

April 24th, 2018, 7:13 am #28

leoloww wrote: Today RSD. 
Curious for opinions.... especially for Earls Court and Let's Dance demo.
Well I have to admit that after all those years listening to Stage as the only official release, and countless bootlegs, this is gold to my ears.
I've listened to it once, skipping here and there. Heroes and Five Years sound amazing

April 24th, 2018, 8:08 am #29

it seems to have been ascertained that 9 tracks plus the intermission call are from the 30th whilst the rest is July 1st.
here's what I remember is from June 30th show.

heroes
sts
be my wife
witw
Alabama song
batb
jean genie
breaking glass
suffragette

April 24th, 2018, 10:02 am #30

rawmoonie wrote:
I had read that suicide was performed at the first Philly show and was recorded but that tape wasnt used for stage as it was too fast. so the following night it was recorded with the providence and Boston shows but again it wasnt performed there.
suicide was again performed in Toronto I think was 1st may for the last time.

April 24th, 2018, 10:07 am #31

csjd wrote: Only the bit about R&R Suicide live at the LA Forum being a great audience recording. If it wasn't included on the Stage reissue when it actually was played it would be unlikely of being tacked onto Earls Court where it wasn't.  Also bar the first known recording of Drive In Saturday as a bonus on Aladdin Sane, there have never been any audience recordings released officially.
suicide wasn't performed at any of the 3 shows used for the stage album according to what I've read. it was performed at the first Philadelphia show but that recording wasnt used for stage.
the version at la forum is excellent and sounds better than baton rouge to me.

April 24th, 2018, 10:10 am #32

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: The best performance of Rock and Roll Suicide on that tour was at the LA Forum. Nice harmonics at that venue - it infuses recordings with a natural 'reverb' sound, must be something to do with the acoustics / shape of the venue.

That said, nice quality and excellent quality are different things - I found the higher sound quality (ie sharper / clearer) recordings of Rock and Roll Suicide lacked the emotional impact of the LA version. Sometimes, bootlegs are best.

but looking forward to getting Earl's Court in some form of course :)
I agree the version of suicide at l.a forum is superb. slaughter in the air is a fantastic bootleg with excellent sound.

April 24th, 2018, 1:46 pm #33

How much do you wanna bet that a previously unreleased live '78 recording of "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide" might possibly show up as the B-side of the inevitable 40th anniversary "Breaking Glass" picture disc single?

April 24th, 2018, 8:09 pm #34

Great thread guys.

April 24th, 2018, 10:59 pm #35

sylvianne wrote:
rawmoonie wrote:
I had read that suicide was performed at the first Philly show and was recorded but that tape wasnt used for stage as it was too fast. so the following night it was recorded with the providence and Boston shows but again it wasnt performed there.
This 'too fast' thing is interesting.

I say that, because last night (well early hours of today) I listened to Suffragette City from the newest Stage, and from Earl's Court. I was curious about that overcharged guitar sound on that song - it *is* there on the bootlegs but I guess the comparitive lack of clarity on those vs 2018 mixing styles means the guitar sounds so prominent on these newly released live versions.

But, relevant to my point here - they're at different speeds, or at least about a tone apart. If anything, on double checking both just now, Earl's Court sounds slighty too fast, and the Stage version slightly too slow (at least on Suffragette City, I must emphasise).

Who knows really what was right? I would just be surprised if on such a precisely planned tour that the band would play in a different key on a given night. Old tape it seems did have trouble recording at the right speed (well the machinery did) not just for bootlegs - but I wouldn't miss that for the world as tape has nice warm sound to it.

I'm not the sort to get outraged about this sort of thing with regard to different speeds (well not any more, anyway) - I'm more than used to doing my own eq'ing and adjustments of things from bootlegs or official releases these days :)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 25th, 2018, 1:52 am #36

We are told that these Earls Court recordings were mixed by Bowie himself, in 1979. Do you think there has been additional contemporary mixing, in addition to that '79 mix? Personally I don't think there has been any major work done post-Bowie's '79 mix.

I was also curious about the speed/pitch of this new album. I've been running each track against the bootleg versions, particularly the Japanese CD of the almost complete soundboard from July 1st. This official release is about 3% faster, and in a different pitch to that recording, and all the other recordings we have, including the live video clips of July 30th from the LWT show.

So it makes me think that when Bowie mixed the album, he simply sped up the tapes. These days we have software that retain original pitch, when we alter the speed. But back in '79 as far as I know, no such thing existed.

I think if it was my job to prepare Bowie's 1979 mixes for this 2018 release, I would have returned them to their original pitch/key, retaining the +3% speed that I'm assuming Bowie wanted. In fact, I think I will do that myself with Welcome to the Blackout, for my own listening pleasure.

Lastly, I don't know if it's been discussed elsewhere or not, but it seems obvious to me that these '79 mixes were intended as the soundtrack to the Hemmings film.

There's no way Bowie wanted another standalone live album, 6 months after Stage. And consider that the working title of the Hemmings film was Stage. In the Feb '79 Nicky Horne interview, talking about the proposed Hemmings film, Bowie says "...I hope it sort of err, matches the (STAGE) album". Speeding up the recordings, so that they were as Lacey as the versions on Stage would therefore make some sense.

The editing of the Hemmings film was all but finished by early '79, and it was only needing the music to be added to the rough cut. One wonders to what extent Bowie had discussed with Hemmings about speeding up the recordings by 3%? It could have caused the editors a lot of difficulties with syncing. Was glitchy syncing another reason why the Hemmings film was deemed not good enough to release?

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote:
sylvianne wrote:
rawmoonie wrote:

This 'too fast' thing is interesting.

I say that, because last night (well early hours of today) I listened to Suffragette City from the newest Stage, and from Earl's Court. I was curious about that overcharged guitar sound on that song - it *is* there on the bootlegs but I guess the comparitive lack of clarity on those vs 2018 mixing styles means the guitar sounds so prominent on these newly released live versions.

But, relevant to my point here - they're at different speeds, or at least about a tone apart. If anything, on double checking both just now, Earl's Court sounds slighty too fast, and the Stage version slightly too slow (at least on Suffragette City, I must emphasise).

Who knows really what was right? I would just be surprised if on such a precisely planned tour that the band would play in a different key on a given night. Old tape it seems did have trouble recording at the right speed (well the machinery did) not just for bootlegs - but I wouldn't miss that for the world as tape has nice warm sound to it.

I'm not the sort to get outraged about this sort of thing with regard to different speeds (well not any more, anyway) - I'm more than used to doing my own eq'ing and adjustments of things from bootlegs or official releases these days :)

April 25th, 2018, 5:52 am #37

Nacho, I think the issue you've hit on is that if this Earl's Court mix was pretty much the soundtrack to Hemmings' proposed film, it is a known issue that audio can run faster on film (cf Life on Mars single vs video, Ziggy Stardust the Motion Picture soundtrack album vs film version).

Also something has been done post 1979, yes - the RarestOneBowie CD that Defries was behind used pretty much raw unmixed sources. Sound and Vision on that sounded like it had less reverb for a start.

It would seem they've revisited the soundtrack tapes, improved the mix, but not addressed the speed difference?
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 25th, 2018, 6:02 am #38

The EC tracks on RarestOneBowie came from the same raw unmixed soundboard that's been knocking around for years. I think Bowie's '79 mix has never been aired until now.
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: Nacho, I think the issue you've hit on is that if this Earl's Court mix was pretty much the soundtrack to Hemmings' proposed film, it is a known issue that audio can run faster on film (cf Life on Mars single vs video, Ziggy Stardust the Motion Picture soundtrack album vs film version).

Also something has been done post 1979, yes - the RarestOneBowie CD that Defries was behind used pretty much raw unmixed sources. Sound and Vision on that sounded like it had less reverb for a start.

It would seem they've revisited the soundtrack tapes, improved the mix, but not addressed the speed difference?

April 25th, 2018, 6:04 am #39

Nb before we get too hung up on this I think more than one rip of the Earl's Court LP would need to be considered? Turntables can run at the wrong speed too.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 25th, 2018, 6:06 am #40

Great minds. I just thought to listen to the YouTube upload
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: Nb before we get too hung up on this I think more than one rip of the Earl's Court LP would need to be considered? Turntables can run at the wrong speed too.

April 25th, 2018, 8:13 am #41

NachoNacho wrote:@Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land 
Just did an A/B test on two needle drops. It turns out that the Youtube upload is (give or take .5%) at the same pitch as the existing sources. In other words, the  YouTube upload is running about 3% slower than the @libertine90 wetransfer needle drop we have been referring to - Tyler, my dear chap: your turntable is running rather fast, it seems! 

Great minds. I just thought to listen to the YouTube upload
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: Nb before we get too hung up on this I think more than one rip of the Earl's Court LP would need to be considered? Turntables can run at the wrong speed too.

April 25th, 2018, 8:20 am #42

The download here seems to run faster than when I played my copy on my record deck, Jean genie sounds quite a bit faster on the download, i think we are going to have to wait for the cd release to make speed comparisons.

April 25th, 2018, 9:24 am #43

I bought Live 1978 and Deram. Both are great But Live 1978 is the standout. It sounds absolutely fantastic!

Not many acknowledgements for the road and sound crew.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

April 25th, 2018, 1:43 pm #44

I had wondered about that while listening to this in the car the last few days. I also noticed today an unfortunate skip in "Station to Station" that needs to be corrected. So basically, it seems I just need to slow down my whole transfer in post-editing by about 3% ?

April 25th, 2018, 6:28 pm #45

libertine90 wrote: I had wondered about that while listening to this in the car the last few days. I also noticed today an unfortunate skip in "Station to Station" that needs to be corrected. So basically, it seems I just need to slow down my whole transfer in post-editing by about 3% ?
Quite possibly so - if it were me, I'd compare to other LP's etc. But if the problem were at your end / with your rip, yes 3% would be a lot closer to correct than no change at all, and Nacho's compared other 78 sources to arrive at that conclusion.

I tend to go by the general rule of thumb that a tone's difference is about 4% but I didn't do precise comparisons and I'm unlikely to have time tonight - besides a 1% difference (if it were 4pc rather than 3pc) stands out far less.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 25th, 2018, 11:06 pm #46

I had read that Bowie was asked to slow down the tempo a bit for Stage - because the band had been playing all the songs faster. So I just thought Blackout 78 showed off this supposed "faster pace." (A faster pace to Stage, I mean).

April 25th, 2018, 11:30 pm #47

Interesting point - but slowing things down, and playing a key lower is a bit unlikely, to be honest. It *could* happen, anything's possible - however Nacho did say  -

"I was also curious about the speed/pitch of this new album. I've been running each track against the bootleg versions, particularly the Japanese CD of the almost complete soundboard from July 1st. This official release is about 3% faster".

So, either
1) all the recordings Nacho compared to ran too slow
2) The rip was too fast
3) the LP is too fast

These would appear to be the main possibilites, I think?
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

April 26th, 2018, 1:17 am #48

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: Interesting point - but slowing things down, and playing a key lower is a bit unlikely, to be honest. It *could* happen, anything's possible - however Nacho did say  -

"I was also curious about the speed/pitch of this new album. I've been running each track against the bootleg versions, particularly the Japanese CD of the almost complete soundboard from July 1st. This official release is about 3% faster".

So, either
1) all the recordings Nacho compared to ran too slow
2) The rip was too fast
3) the LP is too fast

These would appear to be the main possibilites, I think?

April 26th, 2018, 4:57 am #49

Yeah - that seems the most likely scenario. I hope it’s not much slower - I was really enjoying the fiestiness of Libertine’s upload.

April 26th, 2018, 4:31 pm #50

Tyler Zenxx for the upload.
We're stucked with a valuable friend............