RSD

April 28th, 2018, 5:24 pm #51

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: NB here's something else from 78 that could be resolved.

A while back, someone - doctoropussy I think - noticed that TVC15 on the Stage DVD was different.

However my comparisons just now suggest it was not different to the LP version. If that is the case, then the CD version had a different version of TVC15 - not the DVD, if you follow.

The difference I recall was described as the vocals going 'up' towards the end on one, and down towards the end on the other. At least one other poster here verified this at the time - I have a feeling PK was one of them.

We do have quite a lot of 78 stuff released now of course. My personal hope would be that a box set of odds and ends from over the years could pick things like this up, but who knows what might or might not happen.
I can confirm that the TVC15 version on the Stage 5.1 is different. It was discussed  in forums way back in 2005 when the album was rereleased. The first 2/3 of the song sounds the same as on the original release. The last 1/3 sounds a little different. And in the outro there is no doubt. On the original release he sings " Oh oh ohh oh......." On the 5.1 he ends it with a long " Yeeeeeeeeaaaah".  My guess is that we have another "Boston/Providence/Boston" on our hands, as on STS (Stage version). Sent Tony Visconti an e-mail regarding the subject back in 2005, but never received any reply.

May 1st, 2018, 1:45 am #52

Does anyone else have trouble with their Let's Dance single pressing?  Side A has some major skipping issues here, but Side B's just fine.

May 4th, 2018, 12:46 am #53

leoloww wrote: Tyler Zenxx for the upload.
We're stucked with a valuable friend............
Seems I got to it too slow. The link says, "Sorry, this transfer has been deleted and is not available any more."

May 4th, 2018, 1:08 am #54

This needledrop skips several times, but in general is really good sound
https://mega.nz/#!eK5XTRKQ!GVPB5kTCeS1I ... Iy53lnzFk0
Indieethos wrote:
Seems I got to it too slow. The link says, "Sorry, this transfer has been deleted and is not available any more."

May 5th, 2018, 6:49 pm #55

NachoNacho wrote: This needledrop skips several times, but in general is really good sound
https://mega.nz/#!eK5XTRKQ!GVPB5kTCeS1I ... Iy53lnzFk0
Indieethos wrote:
I was hoping for a non-skipping version, as Tyler had shared. I heard the entire YouTube mix and noticed several skips

May 5th, 2018, 7:16 pm #56

You could always buy a copy... 

May 5th, 2018, 9:14 pm #57

I'll wait the good and old cd version

May 6th, 2018, 9:54 am #58

the_starman wrote: You could always buy a copy... 
I bought a copy of WTTB but have no means to digitize, so grateful for the DL shared here. (Low volume on my ipod)
No way i'm buying a CD version if and when its released. 
The RSD vinyl should've come with a download. We're being mugged off.

May 6th, 2018, 10:22 am #59

You want this music in a specific format but you don't want to pay for it? 

May 6th, 2018, 10:42 am #60

the_starman wrote: You want this music in a specific format but you don't want to pay for it? 
Spot on.
Spent £35 on the vinyl, ain't paying for a digital copy as well. 
If this had been a general, rather than a RSD release, at least could've purchased from Amazon, which would have included a DL. 
Also, not to my knowledge available to purchase as a digital version. (Yet).
Excellent album.

May 6th, 2018, 11:04 am #61

If you don't pay for it, you'll be stealing it. How can you live with that on your conscience? ;-)

Oh it's an excellent LP - so much more affecting than the vapid, lifeless 'Stage'.  

May 6th, 2018, 12:11 pm #62

I did already pay for it though and i sleep very well.

If you buy a cd then rip it for itunes etc for your own use, is that too stealing? 
The music industry should be grateful for those who are actually purchasing vinyl in 2018 and at least offer a DL with the album. IMO.

May 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm #63

May 6th, 2018, 1:29 pm #64

Well now that i know that, it's ruined my bank holiday plans. 
Will take me ages to delete all my cd rips and then when done off down the tip, where there will be a huge queue, to dump all my bootlegs.
Already deleted WTTB, just hope the cd and download are available soon. :) 

May 6th, 2018, 2:00 pm #65

I share the disappointment in none of the Bowie vinyl including at least a download card like most other RSD exclusives do; but like last year's Cracked Actor, they're just looking to make more money by saving the CD/digital release for the following months.

May 6th, 2018, 2:14 pm #66

It's like they're a business or something.

May 6th, 2018, 3:57 pm #67

I don't understand why the new releases got a Lot of skips and noises.

May 6th, 2018, 4:21 pm #68

It may be down to dirty vinyl - a lot of new vinyl needs cleaned before playing. I don't know why. I have a copy of WTTB and it's an excellent pressing and (after cleaning) plays dead quiet.

May 8th, 2018, 12:01 pm #69

It's a pressing issue, the few Pressing plants are inundated with demand for Vinyl that they are skipping on QC. I have a copy of the gold ZS and side 1 plays fine if I up the the tracking to about 4gm. Side 2 forget it! I clean before, during and after every play, still skips in the same place!!!!  

May 8th, 2018, 7:00 pm #70

Think Beryl need a chivvy up, slacking, spending too much time on the Beatles.

https://goo.gl/images/aH4Ljn

I wonder what happened to all EMIs pressing plants when they were defunct in the late 80s.

May 10th, 2018, 9:41 am #71

nuclear_star wrote: Think Beryl need a chivvy up, slacking, spending too much time on the Beatles.

https://goo.gl/images/aH4Ljn

I wonder what happened to all EMIs pressing plants when they were defunct in the late 80s.
Dont think they have any anymore. Majority  seem to be independent and in eastern europe. I  think the biggest may be in Romania or thereabouts

May 16th, 2018, 2:20 pm #72

My apologies for falling behind and not getting my rip speed-corrected and fixing the skip in "Station to Station" - however, it seems I needn't worry about all that now with the recent news of the album coming to CD/digital on 29 June

August 18th, 2018, 1:10 pm #73

Interesting thread this.

Has anyone bought the Japanese SHM-CD of WTTBO?

If so is it any actually good, worth the money, and worth the bother getting it if you already have the normal CD version.

I’ve never bothered with this Japanese format before and don’t know that much about it to be totally honest. Obviously it’s superior to a normal CD but how so? Does it really sound that much better on a normal CD player? I’m presuming you can play it on a normal CD player.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍

August 18th, 2018, 1:16 pm #74

I've bought a few of these SHM CDs, usually for the cover., those nice mini LP jobs. Occasionally they have different mastering from red-book releases (there is a terrific Exile on Main St for example), but those apart I've never heard any difference at all. I believe their alleged superiority is in the manufacturing process rather than the sound quality as such.