rsd exclusives

rsd exclusives

March 9th, 2017, 8:13 pm #1

a couple of very exciting releases are due April 22nd it seems.

March 9th, 2017, 10:41 pm #2

What,! What ! What!

March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm #3

no official statement as yet but word is out that one is a certain legendary concert from the 1974 tour, a transitional show if you will.

March 10th, 2017, 12:42 am #5

This is an official release of the 'Strange Fascination' bootleg and what'll impress me the most is if they include the ten minute intro sequence, easily the most atmospheric intro that Bowie has ever used.

The other thing that comes to mind is that if they've pulled this together, then the video can't be all that far behind.

Mist.

March 10th, 2017, 1:00 am #6

Are either of these exclusive to the US or UK????

I've missed out on more than one release because of that...

March 10th, 2017, 1:08 am #7

This is an official release of the 'Strange Fascination' bootleg and what'll impress me the most is if they include the ten minute intro sequence, easily the most atmospheric intro that Bowie has ever used.

The other thing that comes to mind is that if they've pulled this together, then the video can't be all that far behind.

Mist.
I can not believe they will use the full 10 min. intro.
I hope Future Legend will be there too

March 10th, 2017, 1:33 am #8

I'm curious to know if All The Young Dudes was corrected.

March 10th, 2017, 2:57 am #9

A genuinely interesting release for once.

March 10th, 2017, 3:31 am #10

And being limited, they will sell out in record time and then be on eBay within hours for hundreds of pounds.

RSD is the biggest load of crap going.

March 10th, 2017, 4:18 am #11

Mist.
The show was shot by Alan Yentob's BBC crew, of course. The majority of the show was captured, but the rushes have disappeared from the BBC archive.

What I am wondering is if there will be CD or digital download release of this album. Does anyone know?

March 10th, 2017, 4:55 am #12

This is a lottery win for the Ebay dealers. This will be one of the more popular RSD releases.

Good luck everyone!

March 10th, 2017, 8:05 am #13

rsd is a farce.

there's more money to be had here, I doubt they will leave it at this.
cd, download, another vinyl and a super deluxe set to follow. Probably will include the cracked actor documentary as well.

March 10th, 2017, 8:16 am #14

Are people queuing outside the local record stores at 2am to be in with a chance? You hear stories of owners reserving things for people etc etc.

Sure they'll be nice items to have but it's not like we haven't already got these.

I'd like to see genuinely unreleased songs.i

March 10th, 2017, 8:33 am #15

rsd is a farce.

there's more money to be had here, I doubt they will leave it at this.
cd, download, another vinyl and a super deluxe set to follow. Probably will include the cracked actor documentary as well.
From a customer's standpoint, yeah, sure, but I can assure you independent record stores are glad to see people lining up around the block once a year. It's also the occasion for local artists to be pushed, get gigs, etc. RSD in Manchester feels like a big carnival and I can assure you it's not a bad thing that people seem to give a f**k about music, be it one day a year.

For many of us who only get to sell their records directly in local record stores because we don't have massive deals with massive labels, with huge distribution and promotion budgets, those stores are not something we want to see disappear for lack of sales.

(now, Independent Venue Week is something else...Free fest for not paying bands, mostly from the least struggling venues, with which you already have to wrangle, beg and haggle just to get them to cover the rehearsal/taxi fees the rest of the year)

This is very good news anyway, that gig really has a feel to it and it feels a lot less pointless than the recent reissues. Bowie's vocals are very strong, and their being out of tune at times only add to the atmosphere. It also makes sense - it was the last time Bowie had a prominent, mean-sounding killer of a saxophonist in his band, not unlike what's going on on Blackstar...

March 10th, 2017, 9:20 am #16

Yeah understand all that.
but when it comes to such a collectable artist such as bowie and a release which is legendary status and previously unreleased such as this it's a goldmine for the touts and rip off merchants. sadly a lot of fans will be left empty handed. it's become a joke really.
a release such as this needs a much wider release too.

March 10th, 2017, 9:30 am #17

I agree

If like me you live miles from a city or town which has an 'Independant Record Store' and dont have / use a record deck the whole thing is a farse.

RSD is not for fans of the artist, its for vinyl purists, hipsters and ebay sharks.

Regular release on CD / Download as soon as you like Mr. Parlaphone!
Last edited by besomdave on March 10th, 2017, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 10th, 2017, 10:06 am #18

Great news.

However, I hope Visconti doesn't mix out the magic from it that we've got used to over the decades!

See Nassau '76

March 10th, 2017, 10:40 am #19

"RSD is not for fans of the artist, its for vinyl purists, hipsters and ebay sharks."

V true in my opinion. It's profiteering in a big way, it's just marketing. A cinema in Edinburgh was charging £17.50 to see Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture earlier this week! It's a cash in bonanza . . .

I doubt Cds will get a look in

March 10th, 2017, 10:40 am #20

Great news.

However, I hope Visconti doesn't mix out the magic from it that we've got used to over the decades!

See Nassau '76
Given the cock-ups that've been made with most mixes of live Bowie stuff,
there's bound to be some gripes with a new Visconti mix of something
we've been used to hearing in a certain way for so long.
We'll see.
But - 'Side 6. David Bowie logo etching'...?!
Seriously?
Wow...
Last edited by Larranaga on March 10th, 2017, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 10th, 2017, 11:53 am #21

So I've never been to a Record Store Day in my life, but I'm really keen on these two releases. What do I need to expect? Do you need to get there hours before to be in with a chance of getting a copy?

March 10th, 2017, 1:17 pm #22

Yes, and the local news ill do a piss taking interview with you about why you're up at 5am.

March 10th, 2017, 1:24 pm #23

So I've never been to a Record Store Day in my life, but I'm really keen on these two releases. What do I need to expect? Do you need to get there hours before to be in with a chance of getting a copy?
Nature Boy, bad timing with Head Music Bromley closing due to being displaced by HMV. They always got loads of load Bowie in, perhaps due to the location. There'd be queuing outside the entrance of the Glades about 2 hours before it opens.

Real shame about it closing as they'd always put on live music during RSD too. Something to keep you entertained while you queued, and there was always a fast track queue for people paying cash.

My work colleague said that in the South West he'd be able to buy whatever he wanted with no queueing at all on RSD as there just aren't so many vinyl enthusiasts down there as there are in London.

March 10th, 2017, 1:26 pm #24

Yes, and the local news ill do a piss taking interview with you about why you're up at 5am.
what a pita!!!
More than 8000 km is the nearest store

Well, I hope it appears in CD AND not being mandatory to also get the vinyl =https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph_cylinder

March 10th, 2017, 1:46 pm #25

I did Record Store Day once, never again. Waiting outside in the freezing cold for a couple of hours and you get into the store and I couldn't get the record I wanted. OK, eBay is sometimes a bit more expensive but not all the time but in my view, it's far better paying a bit extra since it saves all the RSD hassle.

Anyway, I can see this thing going for around the same price as the triple disc sets of lazarus and A Reality Tour in the future, so I don't see any need to panic over them.

Mist.

March 10th, 2017, 2:06 pm #26

You are an ungrateful lot aren't you? You moan that the releases are all stuff you have, then they go and release two records of unreleased material (sure BOWPROMO is only marginally diff mixes, but unreleased nonetheless) and all you hear is complaints - 'I can't get it in the shithole town i live in', ' i wanted it to be something else', 'i don't care if i don't get one, didn't want one anyway, so there' boo hoo.

Jon

March 10th, 2017, 2:29 pm #27

I'm not grumbling, honest, guv'.

Just saying a decent record store close to Nature Boy is closing (which is a big shame). I'm gonna try and get the early mixes of some of the Hunky Dory tracks. Will have to search further afield, but I don't mind.

Not too bothered about the 74 show, but good luck to anyone here who tries to get it.

March 10th, 2017, 2:41 pm #28

Thanks mate, yes I was thinking Head would be done by then, so would probably be looking at going uptown for it, just wondering if it would likely be a futile trip or whether chances are good.

March 10th, 2017, 3:12 pm #29

What kind of prices for:

No Plan Ltd Blue
Cracked Actor
HD sampler/Gem promo

Guestimates?

Last edited by betty_turpin on March 10th, 2017, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 10th, 2017, 4:11 pm #30

Guestimates?

RSD,
£25
£60
£60.

RSD London
£30
£75
£70

Ebay
£40
£150
£90-100.

£20
£50
£40.

I'm Ooot...

March 10th, 2017, 6:55 pm #31

Don't have a record player so... I'm out!

March 10th, 2017, 9:19 pm #32

If the footage is available, wouldn't it be great if the gig came out on cd and dvd in a nice not too spenny box after RSD? That vinyl lovers get an exclusive and then everyone else gets a nice little package.......

March 10th, 2017, 9:33 pm #33

Has anyone heard of Strange Fascination or Glass Ayslum for the 74 release or the Make Way for the Rock and Rollers for the Gem promo or is this completely different,?
Btw a shite cover for Cracked Actor .
Last edited by west406 on March 10th, 2017, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 10th, 2017, 9:36 pm #34

If the footage is available, wouldn't it be great if the gig came out on cd and dvd in a nice not too spenny box after RSD? That vinyl lovers get an exclusive and then everyone else gets a nice little package.......
If it comes out on cd at some stage I'll get it but I ain't queuing up too fucking old for that shit !!!

March 10th, 2017, 9:42 pm #35

Nice one Andy , I feel the same, queue up and some bastard comes along and buys 2/3 of everything, greed , pure greed .
Anyway as someone said ( S2S Nassau) , anything mixed by Visconti from the achieve is normally shite , and side 6 is a logo etching ffs do me a favour, what about a liquid/oil filled vinyl for the next RSD in 2018 , pure B.S .

March 10th, 2017, 10:09 pm #36

same here doc

il get a nice cheap little cdr of this cracked actor until it comes out on cd or deluxe boxset.

March 11th, 2017, 12:43 am #37

Well, here's what we're getting and this probably sounds better. This version has the 10 minute intro too.

https://youtu.be/sXv_TrioiBk

Mist.

March 11th, 2017, 8:37 am #38

A friend of mine was told this:

'I'll get a list of what I'll be getting in and amounts so if you call I'll tell you whether it's worth you coming along. Because of potential queues we are working with a local cafe for food drinks and toilet. As soon as the queue forms I will give out numbered tickets so you don't lose your place. I am only selling one copy of whatever pet person'.

Does that seem reasonable?

March 11th, 2017, 9:47 am #39

@Mike

These are the same 'sources'. The BOWPROMO RSD release should be simply a better copy of 'make way for the rock rollers' as it will be taken from the original tapes (or a pristine needle-drop). It will be missing the Dana Gillespie tracks of course.

Cracked Actor has of course been remixed by 'magic' tony visconti so it'll sound different - whether it's better or not we'll see (or rather hear). The bootleg is a bit boomy and full in places so a sensitive remix could open it up where it needs it. The glitch in All the Young Dudes will be fixed i imagine which will be nice.

I am glad this show is getting a release (albeit via a marketing ploy in the first instance); it's a good listen I've always thought.

Jon

PS It goes without saying (though I am saying it) that these sorts of releases ought to have been included in the recent box set series, but we are - as we have been for as long as I have been a Bowie fan - in the hands of a commercial operation that seeks to extract as much financial value as it can from Bowie's output.
Last edited by the_starman on March 11th, 2017, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 11th, 2017, 11:21 am #40

Get up at 4am and queue at 5am with all the other idiots, spend loads of money , wait a day or 2 and it's on eBay for inflated prices , or wait a month and hey presto , same prices you would have paid on the day !

March 11th, 2017, 11:27 am #41

@Mike

These are the same 'sources'. The BOWPROMO RSD release should be simply a better copy of 'make way for the rock rollers' as it will be taken from the original tapes (or a pristine needle-drop). It will be missing the Dana Gillespie tracks of course.

Cracked Actor has of course been remixed by 'magic' tony visconti so it'll sound different - whether it's better or not we'll see (or rather hear). The bootleg is a bit boomy and full in places so a sensitive remix could open it up where it needs it. The glitch in All the Young Dudes will be fixed i imagine which will be nice.

I am glad this show is getting a release (albeit via a marketing ploy in the first instance); it's a good listen I've always thought.

Jon

PS It goes without saying (though I am saying it) that these sorts of releases ought to have been included in the recent box set series, but we are - as we have been for as long as I have been a Bowie fan - in the hands of a commercial operation that seeks to extract as much financial value as it can from Bowie's output.
Cheers Jon, it might make me change my mind to buy , regards ...

March 11th, 2017, 2:58 pm #42

Any pics yet?

March 11th, 2017, 5:58 pm #43

@Mike

Jon

...well, I'm a bit annoyed that there hasn't been any clarity if either of these releases are specific to the US / UK

But then... has anything actually been "exclusive" in the long run?

I mean - I can see the "BOWPROMO" release being only out of RSD, but it'd be absurd if "Cracked Actor" (aka "Strange Fascination") is really 'exclusive'

Every year I say I'm not going to do RSD, but then ever year I cave. There's an indie record shop less than four blocks away from my work - so I can quickly push through the crowds, riffle through the bins, and head back in ~ 10 minutes

If I can get either release, GREAT - but I mean... I've had both on bootleg for ages

March 11th, 2017, 7:35 pm #44

Any pics yet?
?t=1489174428

March 12th, 2017, 12:48 pm #45

If this Cracked Actor is released on Cd ,I'll definitely get it as it sound's great and the cover looks cool too !

March 21st, 2017, 8:25 pm #46

http://www.nme.com/news/music/record-st ... st-2024184

March 21st, 2017, 10:09 pm #47

Milking time ! Kerching , if they say that the Hunky Dory Bowie gem is limited, how many copies will there be, is this limited until people stop buying it ?

March 21st, 2017, 10:46 pm #48

I honestly cannot understand the excitement over the Gem Promo release. These versions are virtually the same as the Hunky Dory/Ziggy released versions. In fact I believe "It Ain't Easy" is the same version! Not only that, the songs have already been released in perfect quality on unofficial cd's a few years ago along with the Dana Gillespie tracks that are stupidly missing here for the sake of a blank side of vinyl!

March 21st, 2017, 11:27 pm #49

Milking time ! Kerching , if they say that the Hunky Dory Bowie gem is limited, how many copies will there be, is this limited until people stop buying it ?
List states 15K for the BOW vinyl

March 22nd, 2017, 12:41 am #50

Jesus is it a gold record or something?