Robert Fripp: Bowie has some remarkable new ideas

Robert Fripp: Bowie has some remarkable new ideas

November 12th, 2011, 12:13 am #1

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=20499

Bredonborough.

Rising from traveling adventures, in planes and cars. Dropping off along to way to visit David Bowie, and it gradually appeared that David had some remarkable new ideas in process, not yet public. These he presented indirectly, to allow the penny to drop without prompting. Eno also got involved, and what a flowering of ideas!

Holy shit. This is his genuine blog too.

November 12th, 2011, 12:19 am #2

Thanx for the link Shane!

November 12th, 2011, 12:42 am #3

If anything's coming, I think we're looking at spring next year as the earliest date. Xmas and New Year tend to be a traditionally quiet time for Bowie.

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

November 12th, 2011, 12:49 am #4

...well FUCK!!!

That's great news!

I know that we won't get to hear anything ...until like the Summer at the absurdly EARLIEST

but I'm just SURPRISED as I honestly didn't think we'd get anything new whatsoever any time soon.

I - at most - thought that we might get some 'previously unreleased' material within the next year or two... or three - but that's about it... (just b/c of the possibility of him signing onto a new record label, and them wanting to add unique material on the re-re-re-re-releases that'll obviously happen

November 12th, 2011, 1:02 am #5

BRILLIANT. This is really exciting, I can't wait!

November 12th, 2011, 2:32 am #6

very exciting ... hope it doesn't turn out to be another hoax. does not specifically say it's about music either.

November 12th, 2011, 6:07 am #7

Crikey, all these things I've not had the opportunity to enjoy for a decade are coming back. Alan Partridge returning, the Fast Show returning, Ireland qualifying for Euro 2012 (first tournament they'll be in since the 2002 World Cup), even Arnie returning....

But Bowie returning would top them all. Let's see.

November 12th, 2011, 9:24 am #8

This sounds promising

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 12th, 2011, 9:32 am #9

The remarkable new ideas might just be the texture of wallpaper for his hallway or something. I suspect Bowie and Fripp may be up to a bit of mischief with this post. Would he have done it without Bowies approval?

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

November 12th, 2011, 9:40 am #10

This sounds promising

i searched david bowie and the entry for way back in january 21st 2011 says that.

Rising from slumberland at 06.10 from a busy night with Eno & David Bowie. On night-time adventures with characters that I have closely worked with in the past: when we work creatively with people, we become part of each other in some way. The chemistry of the energies that comprise who-and-what we are change & blend. Nothing surprising here. So not surprising that, 38 years later, the Red trio are continuing to get up & go, even if only in the early hours.

what could that mean.

do you not think maybe all this is him talking about or reminiscing about his work in the past with bowie and eno?

November 12th, 2011, 9:54 am #11

@Lee "do you not think maybe all this is him talking about or reminiscing about his work in the past with bowie and eno?"

It was my first thought when i was reading the blog and i still doubt about the truth of this news.

November 12th, 2011, 9:57 am #12

yes thats what i'm thinking you could look at it from that perspective, it just looks like a heroes situation to me?
i could be wrong tho, i hope i am.
talk about briefly get our hopes up lol.
maybe its a diary of his past.

November 12th, 2011, 11:19 am #13

Well, the last image of the news paper is current (I don't think they had colored news print in 1978) and the last image labeled Toyah Band gig in Southampton, refers to a current gig so this could be 2011.

Edit: why would he mix something from the 70's with today in a diary? (unless it's non-linear).
Last edited by mystertee on November 12th, 2011, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 12th, 2011, 11:35 am #14

That's what I thought Mike, it's a bit random, if it is.

The entry is from October 15.

Brian Eno is in NYC this week apparently too...

November 12th, 2011, 12:24 pm #15

mmm i do hope it is true but i have my doubts.
It just seems he could be writing the diary from the perspective of his past.
The diary writing is in the present, but he could be lookin back on periods of his career, because in other entries he mentions klaus nomi etc seeing him on saturday night live. it just seems a little ambiguous.

but if not what about the older entry back in january? do we take it they have been in touch long before and staying up late together with eno & possibly working with each other since january.

i hope i am completely wrong but would he put that out there with david being so secretive and quiet at the moment.

November 12th, 2011, 12:31 pm #16

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=20499

Bredonborough.

Rising from traveling adventures, in planes and cars. Dropping off along to way to visit David Bowie, and it gradually appeared that David had some remarkable new ideas in process, not yet public. These he presented indirectly, to allow the penny to drop without prompting. Eno also got involved, and what a flowering of ideas!

Holy shit. This is his genuine blog too.

November 12th, 2011, 3:52 pm #17

Intriguing to say the least.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this is referring to the present. Because what a return it would be. Bowie coming back next year with Fripp and Eno on board!

Let's live in hope!

November 12th, 2011, 3:58 pm #18

and remember - Brian Eno was DEFINITELY in New York this past week

(he was on the Colbert Report & even did a song with Michael Stipe)

November 12th, 2011, 4:03 pm #19

DAVID BOWIE BRIAN ENO ROBERT FRIPP
What a fantastic trio!

November 12th, 2011, 4:11 pm #20

...And so to the gym.

This is possibly the most promising news we've heard in some time. We'll keep fingers crossed that the persons involved have the energy to follow through.

Ah! Mr. Waite, the world of Magic is a mirror, wherein who sees muck is muck.
Aleister Crowley
"Schtum!"

November 12th, 2011, 4:14 pm #21

For the first time in my life i will abandon wishful thinking and try prayer!!

November 12th, 2011, 4:49 pm #22

robert fripp is a great guitarist.....great news!

November 12th, 2011, 5:37 pm #23

i searched david bowie and the entry for way back in january 21st 2011 says that.

Rising from slumberland at 06.10 from a busy night with Eno & David Bowie. On night-time adventures with characters that I have closely worked with in the past: when we work creatively with people, we become part of each other in some way. The chemistry of the energies that comprise who-and-what we are change & blend. Nothing surprising here. So not surprising that, 38 years later, the Red trio are continuing to get up & go, even if only in the early hours.

what could that mean.

do you not think maybe all this is him talking about or reminiscing about his work in the past with bowie and eno?
'So not surprising that, 38 years later, the Red trio are continuing to get up & go'

I believe the 'Red trio' is refering to King Crimson.

'You start out wrinkled and you cry...you end up wrinkled and you die.'

November 12th, 2011, 5:55 pm #24

robert fripp is a great guitarist.....great news!
Wonder if its something to do with Object? An interactive look at his past to go with the book and the revamp of Bowienet?

-----------------------------------------------

November 12th, 2011, 6:06 pm #25

Perhaps Eno and Fripp donated polaroids for David's scrap book!!

November 12th, 2011, 6:23 pm #26

There was some in-studio filming during the making of Heroes and Scary Monsters which would be good to see.

November 12th, 2011, 6:47 pm #27

Hmmm. Sounds promising. I would imagine summer of next year at the earliest, since he needs to sort out contract bits for the spring. Looking forward to it. Welcome back Mr. Bowie!

November 12th, 2011, 6:59 pm #28

How many days for a correction by Blammo ?

i know i am not optimistic, but i am happy for Dizlagzig, he may have right for being each month so optimistic

November 12th, 2011, 7:19 pm #29

it seems most are inclined to believe this is happening now, that bowie, eno, & frip are again working together right now on a new project.
lets vote who says yay?
or are we just being overly optimistic?

i want to believe it but i just can't.
it sounds to much like heroes i hope i'm wrong.
so many rumours of late even on fripps current diary i still tend to think like it's an old diary or something like looking back.

November 12th, 2011, 7:36 pm #30

I see what you mean, he could be reminiscing but why would he put that in randomly? I think it's about something recent, I mean, Eno is in NYC at the moment.

November 12th, 2011, 7:38 pm #31

I'm praying, I'm praying!!!

November 12th, 2011, 7:42 pm #32

I'm praying with you Mick.

November 12th, 2011, 7:46 pm #33

Haha Claude....perhaps if we all pray the vibes will work!!

November 12th, 2011, 7:59 pm #34

I got really excited when I read this - then reread and it seems there is something else to it. Much as I would like this to be true, but I'm afraid it's not so.

See this entry from two days earlier (13-10-2011):
"Rising from a very strange encounter with Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdink. In daily rising life, sometimes strangely called normal life or the real world, I have met Mr. Tom of the Valleys on only one occasion; and Mr. Hump no times at all. Although Giles, Giles & Fripp did have the same engineer Bill Price and used the same studios: Decca in West Hampstead."

Now read this again:
"Rising from traveling adventures, in planes and cars. Dropping off along to way to visit David Bowie, and it gradually appeared that David had some remarkable new ideas in process, not yet public. These he presented indirectly, to allow the penny to drop without prompting. Eno also got involved, and what a flowering of ideas!"

As I read it this is the dream he woke up with, after that he describes the rest of his day. Sigh...

That also matches with the 21-01-2011 entry:
"Rising from slumberland at 06.10 from a busy night with Eno & David Bowie. On night-time adventures with characters that I have closely worked with in the past: when we work creatively with people, we become part of each other in some way. The chemistry of the energies that comprise who-and-what we are change & blend. Nothing surprising here. So not surprising that, 38 years later, the Red trio are continuing to get up & go, even if only in the early hours."

November 12th, 2011, 8:04 pm #35

Our dreams have been crushed Maarten

November 12th, 2011, 8:05 pm #36

-sigh-

One day...

Last edited by shane140 on November 12th, 2011, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 12th, 2011, 8:23 pm #37

'Red trio' is what told me it wasn't Bowie related.

'You start out wrinkled and you cry...you end up wrinkled and you die.'

November 12th, 2011, 8:51 pm #38

November 12th, 2011, 11:11 pm #39

Oh, phooey!

Ah! Mr. Waite, the world of Magic is a mirror, wherein who sees muck is muck.
Aleister Crowley
"Schtum!"

November 12th, 2011, 11:35 pm #40

there we go then.
yes thats how i read it from the beginning.
it seemed to good to be true.
alas our fleeting dreams crushed.

November 13th, 2011, 1:31 am #41

Aaah.. my heart plummeted when I checked on this thread again.

November 13th, 2011, 8:48 am #42

I got really excited when I read this - then reread and it seems there is something else to it. Much as I would like this to be true, but I'm afraid it's not so.

See this entry from two days earlier (13-10-2011):
"Rising from a very strange encounter with Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdink. In daily rising life, sometimes strangely called normal life or the real world, I have met Mr. Tom of the Valleys on only one occasion; and Mr. Hump no times at all. Although Giles, Giles & Fripp did have the same engineer Bill Price and used the same studios: Decca in West Hampstead."

Now read this again:
"Rising from traveling adventures, in planes and cars. Dropping off along to way to visit David Bowie, and it gradually appeared that David had some remarkable new ideas in process, not yet public. These he presented indirectly, to allow the penny to drop without prompting. Eno also got involved, and what a flowering of ideas!"

As I read it this is the dream he woke up with, after that he describes the rest of his day. Sigh...

That also matches with the 21-01-2011 entry:
"Rising from slumberland at 06.10 from a busy night with Eno & David Bowie. On night-time adventures with characters that I have closely worked with in the past: when we work creatively with people, we become part of each other in some way. The chemistry of the energies that comprise who-and-what we are change & blend. Nothing surprising here. So not surprising that, 38 years later, the Red trio are continuing to get up & go, even if only in the early hours."
Maarten is quite right. Fripp woke up and it was all a dream...

I've been following Fripp's wonderful online diary posting's for about 15 years - these are always fascinating (masses of words about his ongoing struggles with the big record companies over non-payment of royalties), often hysterically funny (his and Toyah's adoration of WillyFred, their Prince of Rabbits is both cute and a tad sickly, but always very amusing), and sometimes very sad (the recent loss of his mother in law Barbara was heartbreaking).

He usually begins his entries with details of his dreams the previous night - "night time adventures with Captain Eno and..." are really quite frequent. His dreams often involve a selection of his collaborators over his life, sometimes in fascinating combinations. Perhaps this is some sort of wish fulfillment; it certainly gets Fripp's readers salivating at the thought of, say, the original Crimson line-up recording with Eno at the controls. Eno crops up a lot, Bowie less frequently but this recent dream seems to indicate that Fripp, like the rest of us here, would love DB to record again.
But, sadly, it's certainly not accurate information of a genuine return to the studio

January 16th, 2013, 6:04 pm #43

"Maarten is quite right."

Nay - Maarteen was wrong - as Visconti's interview with the 'Rolling Stone' clearly suggests.

Fripp was invited to play on 'TND' and declined - but he did know about it.

January 16th, 2013, 6:31 pm #44

Yes, Fripp may have known about the sessions but I'm certain that he did not spill the beans.
I've searched through Fripp's diaries and the only mentions of working with Bowie are those in his dreams. These are the only times Fripp mentions Bowie.

I think that in fact Tony Visconti is mistaken - he'd obviously seen the almighty fuss created when Fripp's dreams were mistakenly assumed to be real, by people on this board and elsewhere, and as it perhaps coincided with Fripp's invitation I think that Visconti assumed that Fripp had let the cat out of the bag.

Knowing how fastidious and careful Fripp is about every aspect of his life I'd put money on the fact that Fripp did not accidentally reveal the sessions. He would never betray a confidence like that.
The only thing he revealed was his dream.

Interestingly Fripp presciently dreamed about Bowie on the night of 6th January, just as no-one knew that the single was being readied for world domination.
The diary entry for Monday 7 January begins -
Bredonborough.
"Rising from NightWorld and adventures with David Bowie; Mr. Cheese the Constructionist and cocaine smuggling. Well, That was quite a night."

Richard
Last edited by rja1967 on January 16th, 2013, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2013, 6:36 pm #45

You are quite correct Richard. The press (and I believe Tony himself) have misunderstood Robert's diary. It was a dream that he reported, nothing more... There's no ambiguity at all to anyone who reads his diary regularly.

Cheers,

Lee

http://www.leefletcher.net

January 16th, 2013, 6:37 pm #46

Yes, Fripp may have known about the sessions but I'm certain that he did not spill the beans.
I've searched through Fripp's diaries and the only mentions of working with Bowie are those in his dreams. These are the only times Fripp mentions Bowie.

I think that in fact Tony Visconti is mistaken - he'd obviously seen the almighty fuss created when Fripp's dreams were mistakenly assumed to be real, by people on this board and elsewhere, and as it perhaps coincided with Fripp's invitation I think that Visconti assumed that Fripp had let the cat out of the bag.

Knowing how fastidious and careful Fripp is about every aspect of his life I'd put money on the fact that Fripp did not accidentally reveal the sessions. He would never betray a confidence like that.

Interestingly Fripp presciently dreamed about Bowie on the night of 6th January, just as no-one knew that the single was being readied for world domination.
Bredonborough.
"Rising from NightWorld and adventures with David Bowie; Mr. Cheese the Constructionist and cocaine smuggling. Well, That was quite a night."

Richard
Frip spilled the beans, full stop.

Bisous.

January 16th, 2013, 6:41 pm #47

Bredonborough.

Richard
Listen up, Ricky - Fripp, toyed with the notion of spilling the beans by pretending firsthand knowledge was a dream - pure and simple.

Marteen was wrong and your attempt to save face is futile - is she your girlfriend or something?

January 16th, 2013, 6:50 pm #48

Fripp refers to his dreams almost every day in his diaries.
It's absolutely clear from even the most cursory read of this daily online record of his life that he has not attended any session with Bowie or Visconti. And, as far as I can see, there is no mention anywhere in the past few years of even being invited to join such a session.

I'm just trying to set the record straight. The error occurred when people googling Bowie Session a year or so back got entirely the wrong end of the stick and assumed that what was a clear reference to a dream was in fact somehow reality. It isn't. And if you actually read the diaries this will become crystal clear.

Richard

January 16th, 2013, 6:57 pm #49

Richard, people will believe what they want to believe... The truth isn't always as sexy as conjecture Anyone that knows Robert, or his writing knows that he didn't spill anything.

Lee
Last edited by Diamond_Friendly on January 17th, 2013, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2013, 7:53 pm #50

Good point Lee - the truth is mostly terribly dull...
Cheers,
Richard