Record Store Day 2017 Bowie Records.

Record Store Day 2017 Bowie Records.

March 31st, 2017, 2:39 am #1

Was hoping to get a feel for what people are thinking about the new releases.

Thanks

March 31st, 2017, 6:47 am #2

Why not reply to your original thread with the same name which is still on the upper half of the front page rather than spam up the gaff? x

March 31st, 2017, 1:54 pm #3

Don't buy vinyl so it was meaningless to me.

March 31st, 2017, 3:21 pm #4

Just find the idea that these releases /new mixes are only availalble on these vinyls annoying as f*, and offensive.

They wouldn't loose any sales if they made them available as high quality download.

March 31st, 2017, 9:42 pm #5

Richard , this is annoying and just think if they did obviously sell these on CD/download ,
the sales would go up by at least double, even the Vinyl junkies might relent and buy a CD instead, a missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned, but then I suppose it wouldn't be RECORD STORE DAY .

April 1st, 2017, 12:17 am #6

RSD is just a major label cash grab. Yet the sheep will wait for hours in line for a "limited edition record" that cost five times what it should.

April 1st, 2017, 12:48 am #7

Thanks
I find it frustrating. About 1988 I switched over to CDs. And I'm not going back to that storage hassle of vinyl.
Frustrating for me because on occasion they release stuff unavailable in other formats.
Case in point in 2015 there was a release for RCD Black Friday, "Like a Puppet Show" a reading of Plato's cave allegory by John Malekovich with background music provided by various artists.
There was a few SoundCloud tracks to sample.
Mesmerizing and weird!
Wish I could get the whole mix.
http://pitchfork.com/news/61254-john-ma ... y-release/
Boo!
🙁🙁🙁

April 1st, 2017, 12:25 pm #8

It's just plain un-imaginative marketing. The initial reason why the record cies got in trouble to begin with and why 'alledgedly, RCD was created to supposedly help solve.

One day a year, doesn't equal a business model for stores that pay rent monthly.

April 1st, 2017, 12:50 pm #9

It was to encourage people to use their local indie to buy stuff rather than HMV or Amazon etc. I'd say it's worked pretty well given the rise of vinyl over the last 10 years.

But yes, when stuff like this is wasted on an increasingly secular market aimed at eBayers, I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Shall we take bets how much has been cut - like the Santa Monica official release that cut dialogue. I hope Visconti didn't have a yes man assisting, rather someone who has actually been listening to this show for decades and knows it inside out.

April 19th, 2017, 8:34 pm #10

Who will be in the queue for RSD . I'm not sure about this one. The Gem one sided demo you can get as All you rock n rollers with the Dana Gillespie stuff and Cracked Actor I have as Strange Fascination, or do I get 2 copies like every other e-bastard and sell them for £150 like all the other twats in that site, btw what are the prices on these items anyway ?

April 19th, 2017, 9:19 pm #11

Depends where you live really UK/EU faces tough competition for RSD db vinyl, Fargo North Dakota and round here not so much.
I'm thinking the No Plan Translucent Blue may be the exception though (if a 1000 only is correct?).
Otherwise the very very early auctions on eBay are not that bad but then it immediately goes crazy after that, and in a year or less they stop shifting on eBay (3000 to 5000 runs).Year three and beyond they tend to make a comeback. That's my observation... Support your local vinyl shop and happy RSD.

April 20th, 2017, 12:04 pm #12

Thanks
I'm not looking forward to this years RSD, as their are multiple David Bowie releases, plus this year there are also releases by Prince, The Beatles and T.Rex I want. So it's going to be extortionately expensive, because most of the items will end up on eBay.

I was listening to Robert Elms's BBC Radio London show yesterday, and he had the owner of the shop 'Sister Ray' on his programme (who is on the RSD committee). He told Robert Elms that he goes around with a clipboard at 6am and asks the people in the queue what vinyls they want, and tells them if they have them in stock, and if they do he lets them know they will be able to buy it etc. Then the shop opens at 8am and people buy the vinyls that I guess have been reserved from 6am for them.

The issue is, I feel some music stores keep some vinyls back and sell them for 2 or 3 times the amount on eBay. Some music stores most likely reserve vinyls for very regular costumers etc.

Many of us are left with no option but to be ripped off on eBay if we want the exclusive RSD Vinyls.

April 20th, 2017, 1:13 pm #13

Thank you, but no (as somebody once said).
'It's a scam, it's a fucking rip off!' - exactly, Michael.
As always, people are free to lube up, bend over and wait in line,
but RSD makes me really glad I don't have the collector gene!

April 20th, 2017, 1:52 pm #14

I think the Prince is withdrawn.

6music are advertising it like mad.

The BBC is one big product pusher these days

April 20th, 2017, 4:49 pm #15

Thank you, but no (as somebody once said).
'It's a scam, it's a fucking rip off!' - exactly, Michael.
As always, people are free to lube up, bend over and wait in line,
but RSD makes me really glad I don't have the collector gene!
I wish I never had the collector gene, but it's given me a great collection.

April 21st, 2017, 6:34 am #16

A Berlin trader is offering a No Plan maxi-EP in 180g coloured vinyl with one side etched and free download.

It's on EBay at £12.09 plus £2.40 delivery.

April 21st, 2017, 4:14 pm #17

I would like to know if All The Young Dudes is the David Live version or a corrected version?

April 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm #18

I couldn't give a damn about rsd. I certainly won't be shelling out or queueing up in the early hours.
just wait for the inevitable cd release and probably another vinyl release on coloured vinyl, red would be my guess.
i'l get a bootleg copy of it in the meantime.

April 21st, 2017, 10:14 pm #19

Thanks
https://youtu.be/1ennBA4U9Ns

April 22nd, 2017, 3:59 am #20

I couldn't give a damn about rsd. I certainly won't be shelling out or queueing up in the early hours.
just wait for the inevitable cd release and probably another vinyl release on coloured vinyl, red would be my guess.
i'l get a bootleg copy of it in the meantime.

In Syria they queue for food. In the UK they queue for vinyl.

First world problems eh!

April 22nd, 2017, 7:57 am #21

My God! It's like a record!

April 22nd, 2017, 8:55 am #22

What were the participating stores selling the Bowie items for?

April 22nd, 2017, 11:44 am #23

I would like to know as well the RRP of the Bowie items , the link doesn't mean anything ( unless I am missing something) .
Btw as I have the builder in today , I could not do RSD , so at 10.30 was outside a few stores and obviously missed all the Bowie stuff, and you know what I really didn't care, all I saw were middle aged bearded idiots ( and they were the women)with plastic bags, what a load of sheep! Baa....

April 22nd, 2017, 1:00 pm #24

Prices I found

Placebo ft Bowie £18
Cracked Actor. £35
Bowpromo £54
No Plan £20

eBay just sold a CA for £70

Bowpromo on for £70s to £150
Placebo. on for. £60 to £90 plus
No Plan. Blue cheaper than black (unless I'm misreading it)
Cracked Actor £70-£100.

ps what link? (The link in my signature is nothing to do with pricing)

April 22nd, 2017, 6:34 pm #25

Thanks for filling me in Ena , how can they justify the Bowie promo , one side and a load on photos for £54 , at least Cracked Actor is a triple Lp albeit one side with an etching ffs .
It really is all B.S now RSD , money masking for ebastards , I just hope they catch a cold .

April 22nd, 2017, 7:14 pm #26

The Bowpromo sounds like the regular album mostly, more reverb on piano, more laughs when he's saying "holes" and of course Bombers.

I think they were all white labels originally and the green GEM label added later for certain clients.

Yeah £54 is steep but it's a nice item.

All these releases will probably come out anyway at some point. These are just the advance promos in a way.

April 22nd, 2017, 8:46 pm #27

Thanks
I missed out on getting Cracked Actor, but I grabbed a BOWPROMO which had a $56 price tag; honestly most of the value just comes in it being an exclusive release, the prints are nothing to get excited about and one LP side of music that doesn't even include a download card isn't that spectacular

April 22nd, 2017, 10:42 pm #28

A ridiculous number of copies have been pressed and distributed by the greedy corporation
(who also usually do a poor curating job on the releases and do so consistently #sad

The punters will be flogging these on eBay trying to break even in the not too distant future.
So hold onto to your dosh chaps, and don't be fooled by the paid "influencers".

Most of the independent record stores are quite honest, the dodgy
ones are usually found out and de-listed btw. It's a shame to see people painting the lot with such
a wide brush #reallysad

April 23rd, 2017, 10:12 am #29

I agree.

Wait a week or so and most you'll pay over us postage.

April 23rd, 2017, 10:16 pm #30

I don't really get all the negativity here surrounding RSD and these new Bowie releases.
I got into Central London just before 10am and queued up at Sounds of The Universe. In a little over half an hour I had four out of the five releases I was after (could not find the Gilbert O'Sullivan record an any shops list). Two of the four records I bought were Bowie, "Cracked Actor" and "Bowpromo". I'm not a huge fan of live albums but this concert was new to me and so I wanted to add it to my collection. I listened to side 1 and wasn't impressed at all. Lord knows when the other 4 sides will get played. "Bowpromo" is a totally different matter though. I know it's been bootlegged but this replica sounds superb and it will be the closest I ever get to owning an original one. The box was expensive at £49.99 but its a beautiful package and I've played it five times already. A lovely addition to my Bowie collection and one I am amazed hasn't been applauded by finally getting an official release. I just wish the Dana Gillespie side had been included...

April 24th, 2017, 5:38 am #31

You wouldn't get it because you didn't miss out due to eBay traders queuing at small shops with limited copies, those copies then are offered at £150.

£49.99 is below the rrp of £55

April 24th, 2017, 6:21 am #32

Wait - so how hadn't WEBFF heard the LA show before?

April 26th, 2017, 6:44 am #33

The only RSD release I ever got was the Kingdom Come 7" - I picked up about 10 copies for a quid each. My retirement fund.

Oh.