Qs for Paul Kinder

13 Aug 2017, 19:56 #51

One of the things that intrigues me about the procession of biographies is that the moments they describe actually don't account for that much of his life. The recording of let's dance, a couple of weeks. The Ziggy tour - a few dozen shows. There is scads of time where we have absolutely no bloody idea what he did. About 90% of his time on earth

13 Aug 2017, 20:06 #52

I knew I was cuing up Mist's Elvis is alive theory. Highly unlikely I would think. But in the end not as important as what happened and is continuing to happen to all of us.

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

To flesh and blood I might add all that's stacked and folded nicely on the virtual shelves of eBay. That gathers much guff in a nutshell.

How does this type of discussion continue to be a third rail for so many? Baudelaire's destruction of superstition managed to train attention away from the unseen and fixate it instead on mauve vinyl allowing spiritual myopia to make unprecedented strides. The genius of pop culture lies in its ability to make one feel nothing of import is happening. It's a gas gas gas. However the elemental spiritual struggle never went away. In fact it was redoubling itself. The false news heralding its destruction was a stroke of dark genius.

Everything that matters can't be seen which gives lie to the collector's impulse. Nothing's gained by gathering.
The eyes are central nonetheless, not as vision centers, but as transoms. Sometimes the eye breaks and becomes perhaps too easily traversed. Haunted eyes are evidence of roosting Principalities.

I'm not trying to convince anybody. But a whole lot was happening under the banner of 'not much to see here'.
For those who can't join me on the Ephesians train, we'll never see eye to eye. For my part I promise never to overturn your auction kiosks.

www.gettheebehind.me
My take away is the messaging from the White House is chaotic and disturbing.
One could only hope that their messaging was as disciplined as the Bowie camp.
But then sammy thinks that's theft of love.
The distress is elsewhere.
Better than
Make America Hate Again.

13 Aug 2017, 22:44 #53

One of the things that intrigues me about the procession of biographies is that the moments they describe actually don't account for that much of his life. The recording of let's dance, a couple of weeks. The Ziggy tour - a few dozen shows. There is scads of time where we have absolutely no bloody idea what he did. About 90% of his time on earth
it might be possible to compile lots of that biographical info, but it is a herculean task.

involving clipping and international photodabases.

We now have a book tracking John Lennon and Yoko Ono activities from 1966 to 1980 called Lenonology, and that took nearly 10 years to compile, with fans sending pointers and clippings and gossipy bits ...

A similar project would be possible for DB up to when he disappeared from public life in his last decade. But even then, now we are slowing getting bits and pieces, like the input from Michael Cunningham the novelist with whom he worked.

DB himself only mentioned this project exactly once, as far as I know. I remember it, because Cunningham is one of my fave writer.

And then nothing. So all this time he was silent, I was waiting for him to bring out 'something'

Not so much interested in his family life, but rather the artists he might have visited and talked to, that sort of thing.