News at 10

News at 10

December 21st, 2011, 10:28 pm #1

Talking bout Jean Genie on news at 10 they said it was a special moment i agree well worth the wait

December 21st, 2011, 10:29 pm #2

Very impressed

</b>

December 21st, 2011, 10:33 pm #3

LOL!! Bowie's had more major media publicity in a single day than most bands manage in their entire careers! 6 O'Clock news and now News At 10, on a competing channel!

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

December 21st, 2011, 10:37 pm #4

It's the same channel.

December 21st, 2011, 10:52 pm #5

BBC TOTP 2 and ITVs News At 10 are the same channel? When did this happen?

Idiot.

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

December 21st, 2011, 11:04 pm #6

It was on BBC News at ten.

Again. You're an idiot.

December 21st, 2011, 11:08 pm #7

lol , is mist001 for real?

December 21st, 2011, 11:09 pm #8

His attitude and rudeness towards John Henshall were unforgivable. I can't think of any David Bowie fan who would want to be associated in any way with this twat.

December 21st, 2011, 11:10 pm #9

mr henshall made a lot of people happy this christmas, god bless 'im.
Last edited by TheHeathen on December 21st, 2011, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 11:13 pm #10

December 21st, 2011, 11:15 pm #11

Yep, thanks again, Mr Henshall!

December 21st, 2011, 11:18 pm #12

His attitude and rudeness towards John Henshall were unforgivable. I can't think of any David Bowie fan who would want to be associated in any way with this twat.
You won't even remember Mr.Henshall in a weeks time. You find my 'attitude and rudeness' towards him unforgivable? So what? Why would anyone want to be forgiven by you anyway? Do you honestly believe that you're important enough to be in a position to 'forgive' people? I'm going to lose sleep about what you think.

Now, piss off before I repost that photo of you swigging on your bottle of JD that you bleated about a couple of years ago.

Mist.

December 21st, 2011, 11:18 pm #13

Yep, thanks again, Mr Henshall!

December 21st, 2011, 11:20 pm #14

December 21st, 2011, 11:21 pm #15

You won't even remember Mr.Henshall in a weeks time. You find my 'attitude and rudeness' towards him unforgivable? So what? Why would anyone want to be forgiven by you anyway? Do you honestly believe that you're important enough to be in a position to 'forgive' people? I'm going to lose sleep about what you think.

Now, piss off before I repost that photo of you swigging on your bottle of JD that you bleated about a couple of years ago.

Mist.

mist 001 said "You won't even remember Mr.Henshall in a weeks time"

well his name is plastered on all the JG TOTP clips, ok I guess a version without the captions will eventually come out, but he is the man responsible.

December 21st, 2011, 11:22 pm #16

But we will remember any of the YouTube posters? Er... no.

December 21st, 2011, 11:23 pm #17

mist 001 said "You won't even remember Mr.Henshall in a weeks time"

well his name is plastered on all the JG TOTP clips, ok I guess a version without the captions will eventually come out, but he is the man responsible.
No. Bowie's the man responsible. Henshall was responsible for the fish eye lens and was fortunate enough to be in a position to use it during Bowies performance. You think anyone else would care about what he might or might not have saved, if it wasn't for the Bowie angle?

Mist.

December 21st, 2011, 11:24 pm #18

Mist.

FREE HUGZ.

yeah saw the news at 10...i'm sure it was a bbc thang but still major coverage and the reporter was quite gushing. it was in that polite bbc way of referring to the dame like he was the queen "he looks amazing and sounds it too." just to get it straight, they were calling it a live performance but surely it was given a live run-through and then mimed?

----------------------------

who by his lady's command, who by his own hand

December 21st, 2011, 11:30 pm #19

No. Bowie's the man responsible. Henshall was responsible for the fish eye lens and was fortunate enough to be in a position to use it during Bowies performance. You think anyone else would care about what he might or might not have saved, if it wasn't for the Bowie angle?

Mist.

"No. Bowie's the man responsible"

but bowie didn't keep a copy, henshall did.

December 21st, 2011, 11:31 pm #20

FREE HUGZ.

yeah saw the news at 10...i'm sure it was a bbc thang but still major coverage and the reporter was quite gushing. it was in that polite bbc way of referring to the dame like he was the queen "he looks amazing and sounds it too." just to get it straight, they were calling it a live performance but surely it was given a live run-through and then mimed?

how many other artists?

December 21st, 2011, 11:33 pm #21

yes be interesting to see if there are any other notable clips in john henshalls vaults, doubt there'll be any more bowie though.

December 21st, 2011, 11:34 pm #22

FREE HUGZ.

It's live. Cracking mix by the Beeb too.

December 21st, 2011, 11:35 pm #23

"No. Bowie's the man responsible"

but bowie didn't keep a copy, henshall did.
How do you know Bowie or Mainman didn't keep, or were given a copy? Did he tell you that?

Mist.

December 21st, 2011, 11:37 pm #24

December 21st, 2011, 11:39 pm #25

John Henshall has given a copy to Bowie, Michael, but the fact is if it weren't for John sharing it we would most likely never have seen it. I'm ever so grateful.

Last edited by shane140 on December 21st, 2011, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 11:39 pm #26

very few could do this after 30 something years

December 21st, 2011, 11:40 pm #27

How do you know Bowie or Mainman didn't keep, or were given a copy? Did he tell you that?

Mist.

"How do you know Bowie or Mainman didn't keep, or were given a copy? Did he tell you that

BUT you watched john henshalls clip, fact, credit where it's due mist.

December 21st, 2011, 11:44 pm #28

Mist is being OTT but I think the hissy fit about destroying the video wound him up.

You've done a lot to embarrass the Bowie community too in your time "Simon Fulling", dragging this forum down a lot under pseudonyms you've used before. I've got no interest in arguing with you but you're being a little bit hypocritical on your soapbox on this one.

Peace I say - we've all got different opinions, we don't have to argue about them, or could respect our differences (of opinion) a bit.

------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures | My stuff, if you like bad singing
Last edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land on December 21st, 2011, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 11:56 pm #29

John Henshall has given a copy to Bowie, Michael, but the fact is if it weren't for John sharing it we would most likely never have seen it. I'm ever so grateful.

Yeah, I knew that he'd sent a copy to Bowie. I don't even know, and have never emailed or communicated with John Henshall but the thing that rankles with me is that if he hadn't given the BBC a copy first, he may well have gone through with his threat of destroying the master tape, out of spite or petty mindedness and nobody would have seen anything. I think we're actually lucky that the BBC got a copy first before he made the threat. On a more personal note, he didn't come across that well on the BBC Radio Oxford interview for me. He sounded quite bitter and resentful about the BBC and gave the game away when he told the DJ that 'I can say all these things now, because they can't sack me'. So, he's worked for the BBC all that time, whilst all this bitterness and resentment has been festering inside him over the years.

That's why I don't doubt for a minute that he would have destroyed the tape. Bowie and especially Bowie fans, mean nothing to him.

Yes, it's great that he kept it and it's great that we've seen it, but I think that's more thanks to the BBC than to John Henshall. Shit, if I still lived in Scotland, I might even have paid my licence fee as a thank you to the BBC!!

Mist.

December 22nd, 2011, 12:02 am #30

very few could do this after 30 something years
did they have to get bowie's consent to show this performance?
it appears he was given a copy but did bowie give his blessing?

December 22nd, 2011, 12:13 am #31

Yeah, I knew that he'd sent a copy to Bowie. I don't even know, and have never emailed or communicated with John Henshall but the thing that rankles with me is that if he hadn't given the BBC a copy first, he may well have gone through with his threat of destroying the master tape, out of spite or petty mindedness and nobody would have seen anything. I think we're actually lucky that the BBC got a copy first before he made the threat. On a more personal note, he didn't come across that well on the BBC Radio Oxford interview for me. He sounded quite bitter and resentful about the BBC and gave the game away when he told the DJ that 'I can say all these things now, because they can't sack me'. So, he's worked for the BBC all that time, whilst all this bitterness and resentment has been festering inside him over the years.

That's why I don't doubt for a minute that he would have destroyed the tape. Bowie and especially Bowie fans, mean nothing to him.

Yes, it's great that he kept it and it's great that we've seen it, but I think that's more thanks to the BBC than to John Henshall. Shit, if I still lived in Scotland, I might even have paid my licence fee as a thank you to the BBC!!

Mist.

You speak your mind, Mist, but you're not far off with a lot of that.

It's great that he shared it, and I'm glad but he doesn't need to insult the people who made it possible, whatever they did wrong. My employers give me shit, but i'm grateful for the work nonetheless.

"the thing that rankles with me is that if he hadn't given the BBC a copy first, he may well have gone through with his threat of destroying the master tape" - can't blame Mist really for his ire on this in the circumstances.

Anyway it's out there now, oh and I was going to say, in some ways it's good, great even, but in other ways...godawful singing at times, isn't there!. Let's be truthful.

No matter, perfect or not I'm damn pleased it's out there - more please if possible.

------------------
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures | My stuff, if you like bad singing

December 22nd, 2011, 12:27 am #32

"How do you know Bowie or Mainman didn't keep, or were given a copy? Did he tell you that

BUT you watched john henshalls clip, fact, credit where it's due mist.
I watched a clip of Bowie and the Spiders performing The Jean Genie on the BBC programme Top Of The Pops, the same BBC that employed John Henshall as a cameraman. I've been saying all week, John Henshall said it on both the BBC Oxford radio interview AND on tonights 6pm BBC news report, that the ONLY reason he kept the tape was that he had an example of his work to show any future employers. There's NOTHING wrong with that, I'd do the same thing.

My point is that Bowie only entered the equation a good THREE decades after it was filmed. Until recently, Mr. Henshall had no idea what he had and couldn't have cared less about Bowie or Bowie fans.

Don't put this guy on a pedestal just for 4 minutes of footage. I reckon he'd sell any of us down the river first chance he got, and that's why I think we should be thanking the BBC for showing it, because he wouldn't have done so. If he'd known the rarity value of what he had, he would have let people know about it years ago.

Mist.

December 22nd, 2011, 12:33 am #33

I wouldn't go as far in critising him - we're all different, so whatever personal differences I have over some of his views they're pretty irrelevant, but yes, he did this more for him - his fish eye technique etc - then and now (he didn't charge money for it, no, does he want glory - seems that way. I don't blame him on that, it's an interesting technique. Should every single on of us bow down, and not get annoyed, as Mist has, over the thread to destroy the tape...hmmmm...

I'm grateful to him yes, but fair points about the pedestal thing.

------------------
The next DVD release?

Recommended: