New Nacho Fame '78 edit

Joined: January 1st, 1970, 12:00 am

March 29th, 2018, 12:38 pm #1

Take a look at the latest offering from NACHO who's done this thing on DAVID BOWIE's 'Fame' live from 1978.

Utilising the track from the 'Stage' 2005 album Tony Visconti remastered version and video footage from NHK Hall, Tokyo, Japan the final night of the 1978 world tour (12th December) along with the interview from Countdown on ABC TV Australia (8th November).

View the video HERE via Vimeo

Nacho is working on putting out more live '78 material this year and hopefully a long-form video from / about the tour.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

March 29th, 2018, 2:45 pm #2

paulkinder wrote: Take a look at the latest offering from NACHO who's done this thing on DAVID BOWIE's 'Fame' live from 1978.

Utilising the track from the 'Stage' 2005 album Tony Visconti remastered version and video footage from NHK Hall, Tokyo, Japan the final night of the 1978 world tour (12th December) along with the interview from Countdown on ABC TV Australia (8th November).

View the video HERE via Vimeo

Nacho is working on putting out more live '78 material this year and hopefully a long-form video from / about the tour.
This is a most excellent idea. I've so hoped for so long an expert in Bowie videos would take on such a project.

It's great to have Paul's endorsement of it. I can't watch it at work properly, but I will watch it with great interest tonight.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

March 30th, 2018, 2:00 am #3

This video is *really* good.

The one weak spot for me, particularly when putting myself in the position of a person watching this as if it were a full official release, was the long distance shots of Bowie. Now, obviously the availability and quality of the source material had a direct effect on this, however Bowie's face did look crude, 'robotic' even, in these long distance pans.  Overall, the long distance shots would appear to make sense in the structure of the video, so replacing them with some other shot may not be practical? If that is not the case, perhaps a misting or some other digital effect, a 'scrolling' effect for lack of a better word, on Bowie, could work in place of or on those long distance shots?

To summarise the key issues I felt on re-watching -

1) the flashing at the start of the song is clearly the stage lighting, and is part of Bowie's show / its design. However as the song 'lands', ie the bass really starts, from 0'11-0'14, the flashing effect is at its most disconcerting / weakens the video slightly, perhaps FX or a different shot could help there. 'Multi-screen' shots (like they used in the Woodstock film, particularly when The Who played) might be considered passé but might work for a few seconds at that point.

2) from 1'00 to 1'17 is where Bowie's face looks crudest in the long shot. I think later in the video when that occurs, the lack of clarity around Bowie's face is more acceptable as the viewer will have been 'seduced by' / more 'into' watching the song by that point, but only 1 minute in, to see his face preserved on film so crudely is a little jarring. Given we're talking about up to seventeen seconds here, there may not be an 'easy' solution; however you have shown a lot of ingenuity with your presentation of your videos so far, Nacho, so ideally I hope you might come up with something there.

Like I say, I enjoyed the video a lot, and I hope my constructive feedback does not seem too critical, it is offered in good grace, and I appreciate it may or may not suit you to act on it.

So, whether you take the cue from what I suggest (I stress I do not know anywhere near enough about videos / video editing to imagine my vague ideas should be tried out literally), or not, best of luck with it!

:)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

March 31st, 2018, 12:54 pm #4

Amazed that no-one else can find anything to say about this, on a bank holiday weekend of all time.

To play devil's advocate, the video - well the original film of it, to be fair - takes time to get going, but that of course is down to the source material. Without plastering over alternative shots or pictures in the dark part at the beginning, I would not know what could easily be done about that.

Overall though it's a great piece of work and I for one look forward to more of this.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 22nd, 2013, 2:53 pm

March 31st, 2018, 5:15 pm #5

Perhaps your 'notes' to Nacho have rendered us all speechless...

The film, though, is terrific stuff - more power to your elbow Nacho!
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

April 5th, 2018, 10:58 am #6

I hope some of the footage you use in this project, Nacho, includes the monkey mask the drummer wore in the Tokyo show😀
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 6th, 2016, 4:49 am

April 11th, 2018, 8:28 am #7

paulkinder wrote: Take a look at the latest offering from NACHO who's done this thing on DAVID BOWIE's 'Fame' live from 1978.

Utilising the track from the 'Stage' 2005 album Tony Visconti remastered version and video footage from NHK Hall, Tokyo, Japan the final night of the 1978 world tour (12th December) along with the interview from Countdown on ABC TV Australia (8th November).

View the video HERE via Vimeo

Nacho is working on putting out more live '78 material this year and hopefully a long-form video from / about the tour.
Thanks for posting about my vid, Paul :)
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 6th, 2016, 4:49 am

April 11th, 2018, 9:14 am #8

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: This video is *really* good.

The one weak spot for me, particularly when putting myself in the position of a person watching this as if it were a full official release, was the long distance shots of Bowie. Now, obviously the availability and quality of the source material had a direct effect on this, however Bowie's face did look crude, 'robotic' even, in these long distance pans.  Overall, the long distance shots would appear to make sense in the structure of the video, so replacing them with some other shot may not be practical? If that is not the case, perhaps a misting or some other digital effect, a 'scrolling' effect for lack of a better word, on Bowie, could work in place of or on those long distance shots?

To summarise the key issues I felt on re-watching -

1) the flashing at the start of the song is clearly the stage lighting, and is part of Bowie's show / its design. However as the song 'lands', ie the bass really starts, from 0'11-0'14, the flashing effect is at its most disconcerting / weakens the video slightly, perhaps FX or a different shot could help there. 'Multi-screen' shots (like they used in the Woodstock film, particularly when The Who played) might be considered passé but might work for a few seconds at that point.

2) from 1'00 to 1'17 is where Bowie's face looks crudest in the long shot. I think later in the video when that occurs, the lack of clarity around Bowie's face is more acceptable as the viewer will have been 'seduced by' / more 'into' watching the song by that point, but only 1 minute in, to see his face preserved on film so crudely is a little jarring. Given we're talking about up to seventeen seconds here, there may not be an 'easy' solution; however you have shown a lot of ingenuity with your presentation of your videos so far, Nacho, so ideally I hope you might come up with something there.

Like I say, I enjoyed the video a lot, and I hope my constructive feedback does not seem too critical, it is offered in good grace, and I appreciate it may or may not suit you to act on it.

So, whether you take the cue from what I suggest (I stress I do not know anywhere near enough about videos / video editing to imagine my vague ideas should be tried out literally), or not, best of luck with it!

:)
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land, thanks for the constructive comments, and glad you like the vid.

The source material is not that great. I used the best quality version of the Tokyo footage that I am aware of, and yet it is only a 480p file, with a lot of faults.

For your interest, here are some of the ways I improved things a little:

• I utilized my typical method of generally improving the appearance of a low def file by slightly increasing the contrast and adding +/- 8% sharpening - adding more than that and the outlines become to obviously sharpened.
• Also in the copy of the Tokyo footage I have, there is an approx 10% of the screen vertical band, on the left side of the picture, whereby the image was noticeably paler. To remedy that, I layered another copy of the the file over the first one, and masked of the vertical strip area, and darkened that section, then blurred the edges together. If you look closely you can see it for sure.  
• In the Tokyo footage I have, there are many wobbly / jumpy / broken frames that really jar. Those were all fixed or removed.

Still, it remains only a 480 file, so it is very unforgiving in terms of experimentation and it means that there is no detail in long shots and no way to improve that situation. As you say, one can add effects or multi-screen (and multi-layer). And I've utilized all those methods in my videos, including this one but it's quite subtle. However with the majority of the footage being so dark and that flashing light (which rarely flashed in synch with the beat!) again there was not much to be done. Here's a few tracks I pulled:

• In the original footage, the song starts, and pretty much nothing happens. So to give a more dramatic beginning for the opening of my vid, I stole the backwards pan shot that starts with Dennis Davis from the middle of the song. Therefore we see that shot twice.
• Also, at 2:39 I did double-layer Bowie shaking his wrists and Belew playing the riff, again knicked from elsewhere in the song.
• The original Tokyo footage is missing Bowie's final "Fame!" after the descent down the scale. The effect is a total let down. So in my vid at around 3:50, we see Bowie apparently sing it, but in fact it is a moment knicked from the next track, Beauty and the Beast. It looks like he's sings "Fame!", but Bowie is actually singing "My!" (My my, you can't say no...") slowed down to about 80%. The scene is double layered with a subtle silhouette of Belew again, to give it authenticity.

I did use Dennis Davis in his monkey mask for my Hang on to Yourself Live 1978 video.   You can see him at about 1:00 in. That vid was a desperate attempt to use the excellent LWT footage of HOTY, tho only about half the track was show, so that's why the Tokyo footage is mixed in. The vid only partially works, IMO.

I should have the next Live 1978 video ready in a couple of weeks. It's an overlooked moment from the show, because there's never been a decent video of it before. I hope you will like it.

Cheers,
N
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

April 11th, 2018, 10:29 am #9

Hi Nacho!

Glad you're making progress with more already, will check that one later.

An idea I had, and it might have been from one of your videos, if not something I've seen somewhere, is having one or two small screens showing one or two of other other musicians at the points where the source material could be better (imo 0'10-0-15 and 1'00-1'17 for example). How workable that is, is way beyond me, but I seem to recall seeing that sort of thing - it gives the fussier viewer something else to focus on or at least to switch their eyes to briefly from the main visual.

I say all this from experience of people being offered things free on torrent sites, youtube etc, then seeing "why didn't you do this / do this for me" type moaning, and experience with employers who expect the utmost in quality whatever the source materials or facilities available! :)

Anyway, I look forward to checking your next vid later, keep it up :)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 24th, 2016, 2:55 pm

April 11th, 2018, 12:31 pm #10

NachoNacho wrote:
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: This video is *really* good.

The one weak spot for me, particularly when putting myself in the position of a person watching this as if it were a full official release, was the long distance shots of Bowie. Now, obviously the availability and quality of the source material had a direct effect on this, however Bowie's face did look crude, 'robotic' even, in these long distance pans.  Overall, the long distance shots would appear to make sense in the structure of the video, so replacing them with some other shot may not be practical? If that is not the case, perhaps a misting or some other digital effect, a 'scrolling' effect for lack of a better word, on Bowie, could work in place of or on those long distance shots?

To summarise the key issues I felt on re-watching -

1) the flashing at the start of the song is clearly the stage lighting, and is part of Bowie's show / its design. However as the song 'lands', ie the bass really starts, from 0'11-0'14, the flashing effect is at its most disconcerting / weakens the video slightly, perhaps FX or a different shot could help there. 'Multi-screen' shots (like they used in the Woodstock film, particularly when The Who played) might be considered passé but might work for a few seconds at that point.

2) from 1'00 to 1'17 is where Bowie's face looks crudest in the long shot. I think later in the video when that occurs, the lack of clarity around Bowie's face is more acceptable as the viewer will have been 'seduced by' / more 'into' watching the song by that point, but only 1 minute in, to see his face preserved on film so crudely is a little jarring. Given we're talking about up to seventeen seconds here, there may not be an 'easy' solution; however you have shown a lot of ingenuity with your presentation of your videos so far, Nacho, so ideally I hope you might come up with something there.

Like I say, I enjoyed the video a lot, and I hope my constructive feedback does not seem too critical, it is offered in good grace, and I appreciate it may or may not suit you to act on it.

So, whether you take the cue from what I suggest (I stress I do not know anywhere near enough about videos / video editing to imagine my vague ideas should be tried out literally), or not, best of luck with it!

:)
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land, thanks for the constructive comments, and glad you like the vid.

The source material is not that great. I used the best quality version of the Tokyo footage that I am aware of, and yet it is only a 480p file, with a lot of faults.

For your interest, here are some of the ways I improved things a little:

• I utilized my typical method of generally improving the appearance of a low def file by slightly increasing the contrast and adding +/- 8% sharpening - adding more than that and the outlines become to obviously sharpened.
• Also in the copy of the Tokyo footage I have, there is an approx 10% of the screen vertical band, on the left side of the picture, whereby the image was noticeably paler. To remedy that, I layered another copy of the the file over the first one, and masked of the vertical strip area, and darkened that section, then blurred the edges together. If you look closely you can see it for sure.  
• In the Tokyo footage I have, there are many wobbly / jumpy / broken frames that really jar. Those were all fixed or removed.

Still, it remains only a 480 file, so it is very unforgiving in terms of experimentation and it means that there is no detail in long shots and no way to improve that situation. As you say, one can add effects or multi-screen (and multi-layer). And I've utilized all those methods in my videos, including this one but it's quite subtle. However with the majority of the footage being so dark and that flashing light (which rarely flashed in synch with the beat!) again there was not much to be done. Here's a few tracks I pulled:

• In the original footage, the song starts, and pretty much nothing happens. So to give a more dramatic beginning for the opening of my vid, I stole the backwards pan shot that starts with Dennis Davis from the middle of the song. Therefore we see that shot twice.
• Also, at 2:39 I did double-layer Bowie shaking his wrists and Belew playing the riff, again knicked from elsewhere in the song.
• The original Tokyo footage is missing Bowie's final "Fame!" after the descent down the scale. The effect is a total let down. So in my vid at around 3:50, we see Bowie apparently sing it, but in fact it is a moment knicked from the next track, Beauty and the Beast. It looks like he's sings "Fame!", but Bowie is actually singing "My!" (My my, you can't say no...") slowed down to about 80%. The scene is double layered with a subtle silhouette of Belew again, to give it authenticity.

I did use Dennis Davis in his monkey mask for my Hang on to Yourself Live 1978 video.   You can see him at about 1:00 in. That vid was a desperate attempt to use the excellent LWT footage of HOTY, tho only about half the track was show, so that's why the Tokyo footage is mixed in. The vid only partially works, IMO.

I should have the next Live 1978 video ready in a couple of weeks. It's an overlooked moment from the show, because there's never been a decent video of it before. I hope you will like it.

Cheers,
N
Good to hear you're working on more material. I really liked your '76 and '78 live versions of Station To Station. Have you ever considered giving the 2000 Roseland version the Nacho treatment ? It's really great, and who knows with some better sources ... wasn't one Duncan Jones shooting and directing there ?

Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

April 12th, 2018, 5:58 am #11

NachoNacho wrote:
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: This video is *really* good.

The one weak spot for me, particularly when putting myself in the position of a person watching this as if it were a full official release, was the long distance shots of Bowie. Now, obviously the availability and quality of the source material had a direct effect on this, however Bowie's face did look crude, 'robotic' even, in these long distance pans.  Overall, the long distance shots would appear to make sense in the structure of the video, so replacing them with some other shot may not be practical? If that is not the case, perhaps a misting or some other digital effect, a 'scrolling' effect for lack of a better word, on Bowie, could work in place of or on those long distance shots?

To summarise the key issues I felt on re-watching -

1) the flashing at the start of the song is clearly the stage lighting, and is part of Bowie's show / its design. However as the song 'lands', ie the bass really starts, from 0'11-0'14, the flashing effect is at its most disconcerting / weakens the video slightly, perhaps FX or a different shot could help there. 'Multi-screen' shots (like they used in the Woodstock film, particularly when The Who played) might be considered passé but might work for a few seconds at that point.

2) from 1'00 to 1'17 is where Bowie's face looks crudest in the long shot. I think later in the video when that occurs, the lack of clarity around Bowie's face is more acceptable as the viewer will have been 'seduced by' / more 'into' watching the song by that point, but only 1 minute in, to see his face preserved on film so crudely is a little jarring. Given we're talking about up to seventeen seconds here, there may not be an 'easy' solution; however you have shown a lot of ingenuity with your presentation of your videos so far, Nacho, so ideally I hope you might come up with something there.

Like I say, I enjoyed the video a lot, and I hope my constructive feedback does not seem too critical, it is offered in good grace, and I appreciate it may or may not suit you to act on it.

So, whether you take the cue from what I suggest (I stress I do not know anywhere near enough about videos / video editing to imagine my vague ideas should be tried out literally), or not, best of luck with it!

:)
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land, thanks for the constructive comments, and glad you like the vid.

The source material is not that great. I used the best quality version of the Tokyo footage that I am aware of, and yet it is only a 480p file, with a lot of faults.

For your interest, here are some of the ways I improved things a little:

• I utilized my typical method of generally improving the appearance of a low def file by slightly increasing the contrast and adding +/- 8% sharpening - adding more than that and the outlines become to obviously sharpened.
• Also in the copy of the Tokyo footage I have, there is an approx 10% of the screen vertical band, on the left side of the picture, whereby the image was noticeably paler. To remedy that, I layered another copy of the the file over the first one, and masked of the vertical strip area, and darkened that section, then blurred the edges together. If you look closely you can see it for sure.  
• In the Tokyo footage I have, there are many wobbly / jumpy / broken frames that really jar. Those were all fixed or removed.

Still, it remains only a 480 file, so it is very unforgiving in terms of experimentation and it means that there is no detail in long shots and no way to improve that situation. As you say, one can add effects or multi-screen (and multi-layer). And I've utilized all those methods in my videos, including this one but it's quite subtle. However with the majority of the footage being so dark and that flashing light (which rarely flashed in synch with the beat!) again there was not much to be done. Here's a few tracks I pulled:

• In the original footage, the song starts, and pretty much nothing happens. So to give a more dramatic beginning for the opening of my vid, I stole the backwards pan shot that starts with Dennis Davis from the middle of the song. Therefore we see that shot twice.
• Also, at 2:39 I did double-layer Bowie shaking his wrists and Belew playing the riff, again knicked from elsewhere in the song.
• The original Tokyo footage is missing Bowie's final "Fame!" after the descent down the scale. The effect is a total let down. So in my vid at around 3:50, we see Bowie apparently sing it, but in fact it is a moment knicked from the next track, Beauty and the Beast. It looks like he's sings "Fame!", but Bowie is actually singing "My!" (My my, you can't say no...") slowed down to about 80%. The scene is double layered with a subtle silhouette of Belew again, to give it authenticity.

I did use Dennis Davis in his monkey mask for my Hang on to Yourself Live 1978 video.   You can see him at about 1:00 in. That vid was a desperate attempt to use the excellent LWT footage of HOTY, tho only about half the track was show, so that's why the Tokyo footage is mixed in. The vid only partially works, IMO.

I should have the next Live 1978 video ready in a couple of weeks. It's an overlooked moment from the show, because there's never been a decent video of it before. I hope you will like it.

Cheers,
N
Just watched the Hang onto Yourself video - that's brilliant!  :)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 6th, 2016, 4:49 am

April 12th, 2018, 9:11 am #12

Thanks very much!

Roseland, 2000. Yes I would LOVE to work on that. It's so well shot with little funny clips including one of Mr Dennis Davis. I don't have anything better than that crappy YT upload. So if you're reading this, Mr Duncan Jones....
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 28th, 2010, 5:33 pm

April 25th, 2018, 3:57 pm #13

NachoNacho wrote: Thanks very much!

Roseland, 2000. Yes I would LOVE to work on that. It's so well shot with little funny clips including one of Mr Dennis Davis. I don't have anything better than that crappy YT upload. So if you're reading this, Mr Duncan Jones....
Very nice work on all of these

Consider using the original RCA CD's as sources for audio in the future; quality is much better than recent remasters you are using

I.e. Right - Young Americans PCD1-0998
Subterraneans - Low RCA PCD1-2030

etc.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 6th, 2016, 4:49 am

April 25th, 2018, 8:50 pm #14

Thanks @Orea. That's a nice idea. I hsve most of the original vinyl copies. However, they are in storage thousands of miles away, and moreover, I don't own a turntable anymore. Do you know of a high quality digitised source?
Orea wrote:
NachoNacho wrote: Thanks very much!

Roseland, 2000. Yes I would LOVE to work on that. It's so well shot with little funny clips including one of Mr Dennis Davis. I don't have anything better than that crappy YT upload. So if you're reading this, Mr Duncan Jones....
Very nice work on all of these

Consider using the original RCA CD's as sources for audio in the future; quality is much better than recent remasters you are using

I.e. Right - Young Americans PCD1-0998
Subterraneans - Low RCA PCD1-2030

etc.
Quote
Like
Share