Nacho's eminent "Heroes" version

July 23rd, 2018, 8:58 pm #1

Love the work Nacho has put down to create this video: 

In the video description he mentions a HD transfer of the LWT material. Is this anywhere to be found?

July 24th, 2018, 1:18 pm #2

Nacho seems to be a very talented guy, I’ve seen quite a few of his video restorations and edits on YouTube and fully agree with those who sing his praises.

Watching this makes it all the more imperative that the long rumoured film of Bowie’s 78 tour by David Hemmings gets its deserved release.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍

August 3rd, 2018, 5:45 am #3

Thanks for posting about my video, glad you like it.

The license holder for the 1978 LWT show is ITV:

“The ITV Archive is the first place to go to find what you’re looking for containing over 250,000 hours of archived ITV programmes and feature films. Please contact us to tap into our extensive collection of some of the UK’s most-loved video content from the last 60 years.”

Email at clipsales@itv.com
www.itvarchive.com

Good luck dealing with them. I tried and failed to get them to license me the material, or even give me an account. Thus I had to cobble together the video from all the disparate sources I had.

The Hemmings directed Stage film was never finished. Bowie watched the rough cut in Feb ‘79 and decided it was not good enough to release, and shelved the project, which up to that point had cost him 100k. The Hemmings cut and all the reels and the rest of the material still sit on the shelf at the Bowie archive undigitised.

August 3rd, 2018, 6:40 am #4

So all the material is there for a full length film it just needs someone to finish it and digitise it?
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍

August 3rd, 2018, 8:10 am #5

Yes, all the material is there. However, according to the one other person who watched it that day with Bowie, the  Hemmings cut is really bad, unusable. Bowie was profoundly dissapointed in it, and the planned theatrical release was scrapped. Of course we are hearing now that Bowie left very comprehensive instructions with his lawyers for future releases, right? So maybe he left instructions about a release for the film? In the opinion of the assistant director of the Stage film, the editing process needs to be started over again, pretty much from scratch. Now, that’s a hell of a lot of work and requires a very skilful and knowledgable person to oversee it.
You may be interested to know that I have already proposed myself for that very purpose to DB’s lawyers.

August 3rd, 2018, 10:29 am #6

Sorry deleted, still getting used to this tapatalk site and it’s wierd way of working.
Last edited by SHHWEEET! on August 3rd, 2018, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2018, 10:36 am #7

A lot of work sure, but well worth it.

A decent film of Bowie’s 78 tour must be one of the holy grails along with decent footage from his 74 tour if any actually exists? for every Bowie fan.

I hope something is given the go ahead sooner rather than later preferably whilst I’m still alive to see it! I also hope your in with a shout of getting the gig. From what I’ve seen of your wonderful David Bowie restoration and edit videos over on YouTube, you’ve provided good evidence your more than up to the job.

Here’s hoping, with fingers, toes, and everything else crossed that something happens with this film sooner rather than later.

August 3rd, 2018, 10:40 am #8

Thanks a lot, and yes absolutely, one way or another, please let’s have the material out ASAP

August 3rd, 2018, 3:36 pm #9

Nacho, you've proven time and again that with limited resources great footage can be made.
Bowie's supposed rejection of the Hemmings cut is just a snapshot in time. Let's not forget the appalling quality of the ones that did get released and approved. Yes Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider, which are both a sloppy crap job in comparison.
Getting the Hemmings footage out, after the WTTB audio will be the best thing the estate will ever do. Let's just hope they get true professionals to work on it. But it's not going to happen and that is your raison d'être. Looking forward to your future work and fingers crossed that Hikaru's journey will get some more chapters.

August 3rd, 2018, 6:04 pm #10

Indeed, Nacho, you can clearly do a great job with crappy bits of youtube clips, so I can only imagine the result if you had access to the full bells and whistles!

August 3rd, 2018, 11:15 pm #11

And how much would I love to get my hands on some full bells and whistles material!

The next Hikaru Davis project I am currently working on is a full interview with T Visconti, at his NY studio. It’s a really very very good interview. And part of the material we captured is two Bowie track breakdowns that reveal D Davis drumming. One is Look Back in Anger, which is simply extraordinary. Who knew the track contained a D Davis overdubbed bongo track? We captured a really excellent quality audio of it, so that’s something that is - I think - really worthwhile.

August 4th, 2018, 9:41 am #12

NachoNacho wrote: Yes, all the material is there. However, according to the one other person who watched it that day with Bowie, the  Hemmings cut is really bad, unusable. Bowie was profoundly dissapointed in it, and the planned theatrical release was scrapped. Of course we are hearing now that Bowie left very comprehensive instructions with his lawyers for future releases, right? So maybe he left instructions about a release for the film? In the opinion of the assistant director of the Stage film, the editing process needs to be started over again, pretty much from scratch. Now, that’s a hell of a lot of work and requires a very skilful and knowledgable person to oversee it.
You may be interested to know that I have already proposed myself for that very purpose to DB’s lawyers.
Excellent, I wish you a lot of luck with your proposal. If they do have brains they should take your proposal seriously.
I still think they could look at doing a further improved Ziggy Stardust the Motion Picture with your help, but unfortunately they probably don't plan to do that.
Keep plugging away and sharing your work! 😀
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

August 4th, 2018, 10:26 am #13

"The next Hikaru Davis project I am currently working on is a full interview with T Visconti, at his NY studio"

That is great news indeed. Could you start a new thread here when that is uploaded ? Will he go looking for the other Isolar 2 tour musicians as well ? Or just focus on speaking to Coco who lives nearby ?

August 4th, 2018, 10:57 am #14

FTcollector wrote: "The next Hikaru Davis project I am currently working on is a full interview with T Visconti, at his NY studio"

That is great news indeed. Could you start a new thread here when that is uploaded ? Will he go looking for the other Isolar 2 tour musicians as well ? Or just focus on speaking to Coco who lives nearby ?

Would Coco be up for talking publicly though?

It would be great if the Hikaru Davis project did manage to pull that off.

August 5th, 2018, 3:40 pm #15

off topic, but it would be nice to have a proper video of a Serious Moonlight show, other than the official one.

August 5th, 2018, 3:45 pm #16

SomeAre wrote: off topic, but it would be nice to have a proper video of a Serious Moonlight show, other than the official one.
There is probably enough officially filmed material to do that? The footage of a gig in the far east from the Ricochet video - actually the whole film - was put out in fucking mono on the Serious Moonlight DVD, when it had been released in stereo on VHS in the 80's, and the footage from Hong Kong 83, such as the version of Imagine, exists too.

One of the greatest bits of Serious Moonlight footage imo, was newsreel footage of, I think, Milton Keynes? aired on the South Bank Show in 1983, if I recall correctly, it was Breaking Glass, and the camera panned out in a circle if I remember. I've not seen the footage for ages, but it was pretty good.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

August 5th, 2018, 7:42 pm #17

FTcollector wrote: "The next Hikaru Davis project I am currently working on is a full interview with T Visconti, at his NY studio"

Yes, sure I will start a thread here when the Visconti material is online. The HD Projects stuff goes up on the kid's own site, which doesn't have a lot of followers yet, so I'm always keen to promote the projects for him.

August 5th, 2018, 7:46 pm #18

SHHWEEET! wrote:

Would Coco be up for talking publicly though?

It would be great if the Hikaru Davis project did manage to pull that off.
Reaching out to Coco is a great idea actually. I will suggest it to Hikaru. And yes, we want to talk to other Isolar band members. Unfortunately off late both the kid and I have been to busy to correspond much, so we've stopped trading ideas for no. He is busy because soon he and his Mum will moving to her home town in Japan. 

August 6th, 2018, 8:23 am #19

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote:
NachoNacho wrote: Yes, all the material is there. However, according to the one other person who watched it that day with Bowie, the  Hemmings cut is really bad, unusable. Bowie was profoundly dissapointed in it, and the planned theatrical release was scrapped. Of course we are hearing now that Bowie left very comprehensive instructions with his lawyers for future releases, right? So maybe he left instructions about a release for the film? In the opinion of the assistant director of the Stage film, the editing process needs to be started over again, pretty much from scratch. Now, that’s a hell of a lot of work and requires a very skilful and knowledgable person to oversee it.
Excellent, I wish you a lot of luck with your proposal. If they do have brains they should take your proposal seriously.
I still think they could look at doing a further improved Ziggy Stardust the Motion Picture with your help, but unfortunately they probably don't plan to do that.
Keep plugging away and sharing your work! 😀
I have started my own re-edit of the Ziggy Stardust movie. I would like to produce a version that is the complete concert - from Garson’s medley through to all the encores - based on Robin’s soundboard combined with the best of the official audios. It’s another mammoth task. So far I’ve I only got as far as the intro and HOTY!