Massive R.E.M. BBC box set due - could we see a similar Bowie one?

Joined: February 2nd, 2014, 6:17 pm

September 6th, 2018, 9:08 pm #1

I heard about this on the radio this morning - https://www.nme.com/news/music/rem-rele ... 374945/amp

I wonder if there could be something in the pipeline for other major artists such as Bowie?  There seems to have been a reluctance in the past to release larger boxes of BBC stuff, especially if songs were duplicated, but now box sets are obviously big business, and with this plus the Queen complete one released a while ago, maybe we’ll get an expanded (at least?) Bowie set at some point too?

Interesting that the R.E.M. one includes bigger concerts like Milton Keynes and Glastonbury which were broadcast live on the BBC, as well as things specifically recorded on BBC premises... obviously there are Bowie equivalents here too...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 19th, 2010, 8:17 pm

September 6th, 2018, 11:37 pm #2

Never, but we'll have a Never Let me Down remix next month.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

September 7th, 2018, 5:16 am #3

MGOSCH wrote: Never, but we'll have a Never Let me Down remix next month.
Yes, I did think the Bowie brand would bump such an idea, sadly. The BBC gigs in my sig are worthy of full release / in that way.

I get that Bowie - and at least one or two of his band felt that the 1970 Paris Cinema Studios gig was a mess, but I disagree, it's an interesting early snapshot / document that deserves to be heard in full in truly decent quality, as does the whole 1971 gig there in stereo on an official release.

I still recall our PK writing on here that he was present at the BBC filming of Thursday's Child, for TOTP, where they went into a second part that "sounded like something like it was from Young Americans". While the ending of some live versions did pick up a soulful lilt, I would like to hear the *full* BBC recording of that, assuming they kept the tapes running for that second part.

That backing track of Starman that was bootlegged - I think it got onto the Naked and Wired cd after having circulated on tape - was from the TOTP recording I think? Unless it was from Lift off with Ayshea, which seems less likely.

The South Bank show footage from 1983 of Breaking Glass live was short (2 minutes) but brilliant, and circulated on video back in the day.

And there was a good - and stereo iirc - live version of Never Let Me Down recorded I think for some US edition of TOTP.

Tin Machine did things for Def II for both albums, as well as the BBC 2000 show, there are a lot of things...and Cracked Actor too!
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 24th, 2018, 11:05 am

September 7th, 2018, 12:34 pm #4

Personally I loathe the box sets. I just want them to release CD/Vinyl stand alone remixes, new stuff, live whatever. His catalogue is getting all fractured and splintered . . .
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 6th, 2018, 11:47 pm

September 7th, 2018, 8:32 pm #5

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote:
I still recall our PK writing on here that he was present at the BBC filming of Thursday's Child, for TOTP, where they went into a second part that "sounded like something like it was from Young Americans". While the ending of some live versions did pick up a soulful lilt, I would like to hear the *full* BBC recording of that, assuming they kept the tapes running for that second part.
I think that version is on the x4 cd "Longest Hours" bootleg... 

Aren't the tracks labeled as "New York ,VH1 Storytellers rehearsals 1999-08-23" the Top of the Pops performances? - or am I misremembering? 
Didn't they film the TOTP songs during Storytellers (as Reeves is still there) 

...and actually via a bit of googling... 



...which seems to be longer than the one on the boot (I can't check now, I'm at work) 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 11th, 2004, 4:56 pm

September 7th, 2018, 11:26 pm #6

BiroTheLeggy wrote:
Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote:
I still recall our PK writing on here that he was present at the BBC filming of Thursday's Child, for TOTP, where they went into a second part that "sounded like something like it was from Young Americans". While the ending of some live versions did pick up a soulful lilt, I would like to hear the *full* BBC recording of that, assuming they kept the tapes running for that second part.
I think that version is on the x4 cd "Longest Hours" bootleg... 

Aren't the tracks labeled as "New York ,VH1 Storytellers rehearsals 1999-08-23" the Top of the Pops performances? - or am I misremembering? 
Didn't they film the TOTP songs during Storytellers (as Reeves is still there) 

...and actually via a bit of googling... 



...which seems to be longer than the one on the boot (I can't check now, I'm at work) 
I don't remember PK saying he won't over to the US to watch the filming though. It was a long time ago that I read the account, but going over to the US would have stood out.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...
Quote
Like
Share