August 30th, 2018, 2:14 am #101

oakey1973 wrote: I also did some research online about the nature of all these semi-official releases, not only by Bowie, but also Prince, Springsteen, Fleetwood MAC, AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses and many more. Apparently, in Europe in Europe, radio recordings are in the public domain after a given time, which means that everybody can release them in any form they wish. That is also why these releases are not available (new) in the USA, which has different copyright laws (importing them from Europe for personal use is by the way completely legal). So apparently, these all are legal releases, which explains why they are not banned by discogs.com either.
Yes, everybody can release them, but only on the proviso that they pay the regulated royalty rates, otherwise they are bootlegs. However, audience recordings will always remain as bootlegs.
In years gone by one of the reasons why so many bootlegs that were issued in the 1990's, were titled as 'Live in Europe' etc., was in attempts to keep the authority snoops from working out that there were copied from a Paris Radio broadcast, or more frequently a BBC Radio One live broadcast. Then the bootleggers got a bit braver and started to become more specific with the recording origins and stuck a fake barcode on the back to make the discs look official. It worked too, as it took the authorities years to catch up and get clued up. We used to import boxes x 25 discs each from Kiss The Stone in Italy and an endless list of other labels such as Great Dane, Red Phantom, Antrabata.  However, all BBC recordings are still off limits regardless.
Anyone attending the fairs these days in UK, particularly the larger ones organised by VIP, will have probably noticed a return of the bootleg - not that it ever went away, but numbers had considerably dropped due to authorities busting traders. This is because the police have got bored with that business now and moved their dwindling resources onto more realistic proper criminal activity, such as people using offensive language on twitter etc.

I'm probably not going to agree with your suggestion that Montreal 1983 is sourced from an mp3, as I think it's better than that and my speakers tell me the bottom-end isn't an mp3 as it's too good and defined. It also lacks all that tell-tale compression always evident on the top-end with mp3's. But what it has got that might have lead to an mp3 assumption is an undefined mid-range clarity, its squashed with the guitars way too low in the mix and the vocals are slightly distant. Basically, it's not a particularly good stereo mix. But that said, it still sounds a lot better than that official Glass Spider 2xCD. What doesn't?
the future ain't what it used to be

August 30th, 2018, 2:29 am #102

For those who like to have a decent physical copy of Bowie's DVD material that's available out there in Collectorland, they might be interested to know about a mail order company called Stellar Products/Maximum Sound, operating from Nashville, see www.maximumsound.org 
They have hundreds of quality DVDs. I obtained the 50th Birthday Concert as a 2 x DVD in Stereo for $7.50 including postage to UK. The sound on this is better than the far too compressed sounding CD x 2 bootleg I have. 
They rarely do compression with the DVDs, so rarely do they go over the 2 hour run time and prefer to create double disc releases instead. This is not an industry standard for under the counter traders. For orders outwith USA, they just send the discs and sleeve only as posting cases costs wasteful money. 
Buy three titles and receive a 10% discount and that includes their monthly half-price specials list.
Discount codes are: one or two titles: 5social and three titles or more: STELLAR
I've bought these titles and to be honest they're all fairly decent quality.
Dome Vision - Tokyo Dome 16-5-90
Loreley Festival 22-6-96
Madison Square Garden 9-1-97 (50th Birthday in stereo)
Radio City Music Hall 15-10-97
Live In Paris "99" 4-10-99
Montreux 18 July 2002

And no, I have absolutely no relationship with this company.

August 30th, 2018, 5:42 pm #103

What is high-quality about these DVD-Rs? They are just burned DVD-Rs with home made artwork. Source is likely YouTube as well, is it not? If not, what is the source?

August 30th, 2018, 8:36 pm #104

oakey1973 wrote: What is high-quality about these DVD-Rs? They are just burned DVD-Rs with home made artwork. Source is likely YouTube as well, is it not? If not, what is the source?
I never said that they were high-quality. I specifically used the term "decent quality", which is exactly what they are and perfectly watchable with decent sound. Yes, they are burned DVD-Rs, that is a certainty - at these prices what would anyone expect. Some of their titles might be copied from official releases but I don't buy these so can't speak for them. The 24 titles that I have bought so far have in the main been more than acceptable. In fact, in several cases with films of Hendrix and Pink Floyd, the film quality supplied was a lot better than what I already had and they had kept their word when claiming they had sourced the best quality available.
Perhaps one of the main benefits is that their menu draws attention to titles that I wasn't aware of, which would certainly be plausible with regards TV broadcasts in USA or South America etc. How could I be expected to be completely up to date with all the film activities of the 200+ artists or so whose music I buy complete collections of? It's avenues such as this that complete the big picture and fill in the gaps.

August 31st, 2018, 6:47 am #105

XenonCodex59 wrote: I never said that they were high-quality. I specifically used the term "decent quality", which is exactly what they are and perfectly watchable with decent sound. Yes, they are burned DVD-Rs, that is a certainty - at these prices what would anyone expect. Some of their titles might be copied from official releases but I don't buy these so can't speak for them. The 24 titles that I have bought so far have in the main been more than acceptable. In fact, in several cases with films of Hendrix and Pink Floyd, the film quality supplied was a lot better than what I already had and they had kept their word when claiming they had sourced the best quality available.
Looking through their list, a lot of what they are offering is stuff I have got when I was into torrenting a few years back. Same artwork as well. They have probably got a lot of this stuff from the same torrent sites I went to.

I see this as quite a valuable service though. Not everyone is into torrenting, and not everyone has a PC computer.  I don’t anymore.

I don’t have a problem with them just sending the disc and art work as a letter either, it makes sense. I mean you can get a pack of 10 DVD cases for a tenner or even less these days.

I do think their prices are a bit high though. Most seem to be in the 12 dollar and above range and then if international postage costs are incurred it makes them a tad expensive.

However I noticed some in their sale for around 6-8 dollars with free international postage, these make more sense.

I think of your choosey or really want a professionally produced copy of a specific Bowie concert with good sound like Lorelley 96 for example, and with a properly printed disc label and cover artwork then these should serve a purpose perfectly fine.  

Yes you could maybe do them yourself cheaper if you have all the gear, PC computer, label printer, time! etc, but if you really can’t be bothered with all that then I think these seem like a good source.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

August 31st, 2018, 3:28 pm #106

I think from the outset I made it crystal clear that this was for people who might prefer to have a physical copy. There ends. I can't see what problems might transpire from that. 

There are vast numbers of people out there who have neither the skill, knowledge, equipment, money or whatever else to be downloading these themselves and turning them into pretty little boxes. That's why the record fair halls are stuffed full of them. That's why over the years I probably sold several thousand of them. Not by any stretch is the average demographic member of the David Bowie collector community - or any other band from around that same time frame - conversant with anything to do with torrent downloading sites. Amazingly there's vast numbers of people who've never heard of the YouTube Downloader tool facility. How many comments have we read on YT from watchers saying "gee, I wish I could get a copy of this". Trust me, torrent sites are in general mostly for total anoraks, the geeks, the specky nerdy guys who never had a girlfriend and have jobs in accountancy. 
Personally, I'm way long past feckin' about finding out about torrent sites, signing up to whatever torrent site this, waiting my turn to seed that, downloading only to find it was corrupted half-way through, finding another seeder, doing it all again, burning to disc, failed burn to disc etc. Then if that isn't painfull enough, then you find out that there's a better version out there... etc.
Please! Can I have my life back? I really don't need an anorak. In fact, I wouldn't be seen dead in an anorak.
Btw - all international orders are free-post, regardless, or to be more specific postal price inclusive within listed price.
For me, were I to buy a return tube ticket into town and buy a coffee, I've spent more than the cost of a DVD. For me it's a no shit Sherlock, no-brainer.

August 31st, 2018, 3:40 pm #107

XenonCodex59 wrote: I think from the outset I made it crystal clear that this was for people who might prefer to have a physical copy. There ends. I can't see what problems might transpire from that. 

There are vast numbers of people out there who have neither the skill, knowledge, equipment, money or whatever else to be downloading these themselves and turning them into pretty little boxes. That's why the record fair halls are stuffed full of them. That's why over the years I probably sold several thousand of them. Not by any stretch is the average demographic member of the David Bowie collector community - or any other band from around that same time frame - conversant with anything to do with torrent downloading sites. Amazingly there's vast numbers of people who've never heard of the YouTube Downloader tool facility. How many comments have we read on YT from watchers saying "gee, I wish I could get a copy of this". Trust me, torrent sites are in general mostly for total anoraks, the geeks, the specky nerdy guys who never had a girlfriend and have jobs in accountancy. 
Personally, I'm way long past feckin' about finding out about torrent sites, signing up to whatever torrent site this, waiting my turn to seed that, downloading only to find it was corrupted half-way through, finding another seeder, doing it all again, burning to disc, failed burn to disc etc. Then if that isn't painfull enough, then you find out that there's a better version out there... etc.
Please! Can I have my life back? I really don't need an anorak. In fact, I wouldn't be seen dead in an anorak.
Btw - all international orders are free-post, regardless, or to be more specific postal price inclusive within listed price.
For me, were I to buy a return tube ticket into town and buy a coffee, I've spent more than the cost of a DVD. For me it's a no shit Sherlock, no-brainer.

No argument from me.

I will probably buy from them. I’ve got my eye on Lorelley 96, Earthling At 50, and the BBC Radio Theatre gig to replace my rough home made copies.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

August 31st, 2018, 9:39 pm #108

SHHWEEET! wrote:
No argument from me.

I will probably buy from them. I’ve got my eye on Lorelley 96, Earthling At 50, and the BBC Radio Theatre gig to replace my rough home made copies.
Remember if you buy three at once to enter the discount code STELLAR

August 31st, 2018, 10:03 pm #109

What also might be of interest to folks is Wolfgang's Vault (Bill Graham's recordings from his Fillmore East and West days) are doing a 50% off cost for a year deal which gives access to streaming all their catalogue of gigs in lossy flac quality, which is about a whole twice as good as mp3. So you now get a whopping 10% of the content of the music instead of mp3's 5%.
Neil Young eat your heart out.

As it's streaming only you can't copy to a download file, but If you're smart you hook your speakers or headphone socket out from your PC/Laptop into a dedicated CD-Recorder and make copies in real-time. You're still using mini-jack cable connections and all that garbage tech but beggar's can't be choosers and they're not too bad at all for free. Of course, this entails Audio only CD-R's (and not these with 700mb printed on them) which are no longer found on sale in shops these days but available from suppliers on eBay.

September 1st, 2018, 4:40 am #110

XenonCodex59 wrote:
SHHWEEET! wrote:
No argument from me.

Remember if you buy three at once to enter the discount code STELLAR
I didn’t realise buying 3 qualified for a discount code so I’m grateful you pointed that out.

What’s the YouTube downloader btw, I’m one of those who don’t know what that is?

The only thing I know that was possibly anything like that was an app I got from the Apple App Store a few years back.  ( Sorry I can’t remember the name of the app and it became unavailable, also I’ve since changed my devices so I no longer have it  ) Anyway this app allowed you to download YouTube videos  to your iPod, iPhone, etc.

Is the YouTube downloader something similar?

I did laugh at your comments about torrenting 😂 Your so right in what you say. I got into it for a while, but even before I got rid of my PC ( I no longer really need a PC now and they too are a pain, getting corrupted with viruses and going out of date like yesterdays stale bread etc. ) I was sick of all the hassle and time you waste seeding etc. Yeah! my anorak with regards to all that bollox went in the bin quite a while ago now.

Life too short.

September 1st, 2018, 7:22 pm #111

SHHWEEET! wrote:
I didn’t realise buying 3 qualified for a discount code so I’m grateful you pointed that out.

What’s the YouTube downloader btw, I’m one of those who don’t know what that is?

The only thing I know that was possibly anything like that was an app I got from the Apple App Store a few years back.  ( Sorry I can’t remember the name of the app and it became unavailable, also I’ve since changed my devices so I no longer have it  ) Anyway this app allowed you to download YouTube videos  to your iPod, iPhone, etc.

Is the YouTube downloader something similar?

I did laugh at your comments about torrenting 😂 Your so right in what you say. I got into it for a while, but even before I got rid of my PC ( I no longer really need a PC now and they too are a pain, getting corrupted with viruses and going out of date like yesterdays stale bread etc. ) I was sick of all the hassle and time you waste seeding etc. Yeah! my anorak with regards to all that bollox went in the bin quite a while ago now.

Life too short.
Righty SHHWEEET!, take a not of this now on a postit or such for ref. 

Buy one or two at any price, be it full price or half price special or one of each, it doesn't matter and get 5% off. Fill in as I type here: 5special
Buy three or more, again any price band mix, it doesn't matter and get 10% off. Fill in as: STELLAR
They might have another rate for big spenders but I don't know what that qualification is off hand.

YouTube Downloader.
Easy to use. I'm sure you'll master it in minutes.
Once downloaded it sits an an Icon on your screen, unless you want to hide it. Up to you.
Always open Downloader as ready to start before you do anything. At least that's how it works best for me.
All you do is copy the url on the YouTube you want, then go to the Downloader and you'll see the title has been automatically moved onto it's top section demoting an input. 
Select how you want it as in an MP4 or MP3. I say that because there's no point wasting space on hardrive with info you don't need such a static picture photo on a YouTube for what is an MP3. You know how people stick a photo that doesn't change for when the songs plays? Well, I just download as music only as mp3. I don't need the photo. For film, of course, always as MP4. 
It doesn't take very long for it to complete the transfer - of course, the longer the film the longer it takes. But I don't think I ever waited more than 5 minutes or so.
Files, I think, go automatically to firstly to Video File, but you can redirect the traffic to any file you like as you go along.

There a load of options out there to download it from such as filehippo, softonic, techradar, all the usual suspects.
Just watch carefully as you go through the downloading acceptance procedure phase and don't take all the other crap they want to dump on you, like anti-anything you can imagine software you really don't need dross. You've been there and know all this.

Seriously, if I can work it then anybody can.
Cheers.

September 5th, 2018, 1:29 am #112

Latest bootleg to be made available on Amazon.co.uk shorty via a computer screen near you is

Live... Glass Spider Tour Montreal 87

Available for pre order now.

September 5th, 2018, 3:12 pm #113

SHHWEEET! wrote: Latest bootleg to be made available on Amazon.co.uk shorty via a computer screen near you is

Live... Glass Spider Tour Montreal 87

Available for pre order now.
Artist: DAVID BOWIE

Title: Live… Glass Spider Tour Montreal ‘87

Format: CD packed into a 4 panel digipack, UV gloss with an 8 page booklet

Cat No: PRCD3002

UPC: 4755581300228

Release Date: September 2018

• Legendary performance from the Olympic Stadium, Montreal

• Includes the entire King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast.

• Digitally remastered for greatly enhanced sound quality

• Background liners

Featuring;

David Bowie – Vocals, Sax

Peter Frampton – Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals

Carlos Alomar – Rhythm Guitar, Backing Vocals

Carmine Rojas – Bass Guitar

Erdal Kizilcay – Cornet, Keyboards, Trumpet

Richard Cottle – Keyboards, Synthesizers, Saxophone

Alan Childs – Drums, Percussion

David Bowie, live from the Olympic Stadium, Montreal, Canada on August 30th 1987

Strung out in heaven’s high, the eternal lost astronaut walked out on to the stage at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal and gave an inspired joyride through his then 20-album career. 1987’s Glass Spider tour was his most theatrically ambitious to date and although it had its critics as a spectacle, musically, it was spellbinding. While Low, Lodger and Ziggy fail to emerge, Bowie has plenty more to play with, even after his highly successful Serious Moonlight tour. Here is Bowie, back at his beguiling best in front of 80,000 ecstatic fans. Protus proudly presents the entire King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast of the legendary Starman in concert. Professionally re-mastered original broadcast with liners and rare photos.

2 Glass Spider > Up The Hill Backwards (Reprise)

3 Day-In Day-Out

4 Bang Bang

5 Absolute Beginnners

6 Loving The Alien

7 China Girl

8 Rebel Rebel

9 Fashion

10 Scary Monsters

11 All The Madmen

12 Never Let Me Down

13 Big Brother

14 ‘87 And Cry

15 Heroes

16 Sons Of The Silent Age

17 Time Will Crawl

September 5th, 2018, 7:33 pm #114

how is it complete. 1 disc. 17 tracks?
do they not realise it's coming out officially not long after.

September 5th, 2018, 8:40 pm #115

Good point Leo. Hmm the official release has 25 tracks. Did the King Biscuit show sound better? The 2-CD set always sounded a bit bland to me.

September 9th, 2018, 8:29 am #116

doctoroctopussy wrote: Good point Leo. Hmm the official release has 25 tracks. Did the King Biscuit show sound better? The 2-CD set always sounded a bit bland to me.

How many tracks were actually broadcast on the radio at the time? Was the show actually on air for only a hour?

If so then the description completed show could refer to what was actually broadcast.

September 9th, 2018, 7:03 pm #117

I've got a set of the broadcast disks for this - it was broadcast over two weeks so two shows.  Being American and commercial radio there are a lot of adverts (many on the CDs - some are quite funny now!) so there's nowhere near an hour of music in each show.  This is what's on the disks I have (not sure if there was ever a full show broadcast?):

Part 1 (24/04/1988) - Intro/Up the Hill Backwards, Glass Spider, Day In Day Out, Bang Bang, Absolute Beginners, Loving the Alien, China Girl, Rebel Rebel, Fashion Scary Monsters.
Part 2 (01/05/1988) - Never Let Me Down, Heroes, Time Will Crawl, Young Americans, The Jean Genie, Let's Dance, Fame, Time, Blue Jean, Modern Love.

All the Madmen was one of the tracks not on the broadcast disks I have, so if that's included in this new release then its not from the King Biscuit disks I have.

I seem to remember there being a 4 CD set as well (remember seeing it for sale in Record Collector at the time for obscene amounts of money), but not sure if that was just these two disks plus the Montreal '83 broadcast, or if it was the complete show over more disks?

September 10th, 2018, 2:01 am #118

September 10th, 2018, 7:33 am #119

Here’s a link to a history of DIR / King Biscuit Flower Hour. It’s quite interesting for those like me who didn’t know anything about this apparently innovative at the time, american radio broadcasting.

http://www.eclipse67.com/kbr.htm

Does anyone think this latest Glass Spider / King Biscuit bootleg that’s appeared on Amazon is worth getting?

September 16th, 2018, 11:24 pm #120

Latest bootleg CD to pre order from Amazon

Live In 95

David Bowie & Nine Inch Nails

Product Description
David Bowie with Nine Inch Nails, live from the Riverport Amphitheater, St. Louis on 11th October and the Shoreline Amphitheater, California on 21st October. Combing contemporary and retrospective artists could always be controversial and disastrous, but in the right hands, it could equally prove inviting. The concept was innovative for its time, but received low sales and mixed reviews. In 1995, Nine Inch Nails co-headlined the Dissonance tour with David Bowie as part of their Self Destruct Touring Cycle . For Bowie, he was promoting his latest album Outside while returning to a territory that recalled his cherished Berlin period. Back with Brian Eno and riding high with The Hearts Filthy Lesson, his 1995 collaboration with new industrial gods NIN was both brave, and rewarding for all. Protus proudly presents a prized collection of complete FM radio broadcasts from his 1995 USA tour in support of his 19th studio album Outside. Professionally remastered original Nationwide/KLLT-FM radio broadcasts with background liners and rare photos. Riverport Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, St Louis, MO 11th October 1995 KLLT-FM NINE INCH NAILS 1 Terrible Lie 2 March Of The Pigs 3 The Becoming 4 Sanctified 5 Piggy 6 Burn 7 Closer 8 Wish 9 Gave Up 10 Down In It 11 Eraser 12 Subterraneans 13 Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) 14 Reptile 15 Hallo Spaceboy DISC 2 Riverport Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, St Louis, MO 11th October 1995 KLLT-FM 1 Hurt (NIN with David Bowie) DAVID BOWIE 2 Look Back In Anger 3 I m Deranged 4 The Hear t s Filthy Lesson 5 The Voyeur Of Utter Destruction (As Beauty) 6 I Have Not Been To Oxford Town 7 Outside 8 Andy Warhol 9 Breaking Glass 10 The Man Who Sold The World 11 We Prick You 12 Joe The Lion 13 A Small Plot Of Land 14 Nite Flights 15 Under Pressure 16 Teenage Wildlife DISC 3 Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA 21st October 1995 Syndicated FM Radio Broadcast NINE INCH NAILS 1 Subterraneans (with David Bowie) 2 Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (with David Bowie) 3 Hallo Spaceboy (with David Bowie) 4 Hurt (with David Bowie) DAVID BOWIE 5 Look Back In Anger 6 I m Deranged 7 The Heart s Filthy Lesson 8 The Voyeaur Of Utter Destruction (as Beauty) 9 I Have Not Been To Oxford Town 10 Outside 11 Andy Warhol 12 Breaking Glass 13 The Man Who Sold The World 14 We Prick You 15 A Small Plot Of Land 16 Nite Flights 17 Under Pressure

September 22nd, 2018, 11:19 am #121

Just finished listening to His Masters Voice Tin Machine bootleg CD which arrived this morning from Amazon. Great sound quality for a bootleg and decent cover artwork as well. At the moment it’s my favourite live Tin Machine CD. 2 discs for less than a tenner, no brainier, although I’ve noticed the price has gone up a little bit. The only slight criticism is the 2nd Paris recording isn’t quite as sharp / clear as the 1st New York Academy Of Music recording. It’s still ok though. Listened to through headphones which is always a good test.  

Makes me wonder if the soon to be released Live In 95  NIN / Bowie bootleg CD is any good? The CDs of NIN / Bowie I already have I’m not that impressed with sound wise. Passable but not brilliant.

September 24th, 2018, 9:11 pm #122

The Live 95 NIN / Bowie set sounds like its just a copy of "The Complete Broadcasts" box set that came out a while ago - I think these will all just use the same sources so there probably won't be any improvements in sound quality (or packaging)...

Just seen a couple more on Amazon too, for pre-order.  No details about them yet though...

David Bowie and Friends (with a nice Earthling tour photo on the cover) - the only info is that the cover boasts "guests" Nine Inch Nails, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner and Cher, so some recycling of previous stuff (NIN and Cher) and possibly some officially released tracks (Tina Turner) too.  Its another Laser Media product, so quality is guaranteed to be poor.  I bet the Iggy Pop Dinah Shore tracks are on there too...

The second one is even more mysterious, as there's not even a cover picture yet.  Its a 2CD set called The Lost Sessions so could be anything.  Unlikely to be nothing new though I suppose...

September 24th, 2018, 11:18 pm #123

Yeah I agree with you. You’ve confirmed my suspicions, I think I will give Live in 95 a miss unless I hear really good reports about it.