Lodger new remix

Lodger new remix

August 18th, 2017, 12:33 pm #1

According Visconti this remix will be very different

Visconti’s 2017 mix of Lodger is included in David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town (1977–1982), the third in a series of boxsets spanning Bowie’s career.
“I found some little gems on the tapes,” he reveals. “At the end of ‘Yassassin’, David does a little Arabic rap that didn’t make the record. I put it on the mix this time and it sounds wonderful. David was proud of these re-releases, but he didn’t want to get involved. There are so many capable people, including his own staff and myself, who could deal with it. He’d hear the final test pressing and say, ‘Great, it’s wonderful. Release it.’ But he always wanted to move on.”

August 18th, 2017, 1:02 pm #2

It seems like David wasn't the nostalgic type..never looking back in anger?

August 18th, 2017, 1:03 pm #3

According Visconti this remix will be very different

Visconti’s 2017 mix of Lodger is included in David Bowie: A New Career In A New Town (1977–1982), the third in a series of boxsets spanning Bowie’s career.
“I found some little gems on the tapes,” he reveals. “At the end of ‘Yassassin’, David does a little Arabic rap that didn’t make the record. I put it on the mix this time and it sounds wonderful. David was proud of these re-releases, but he didn’t want to get involved. There are so many capable people, including his own staff and myself, who could deal with it. He’d hear the final test pressing and say, ‘Great, it’s wonderful. Release it.’ But he always wanted to move on.”
The concept's a bit crap though. It kind of encapsulates the rich, reclusive rock star, where you can't be bothered with your music anymore, so you delegate it to other people. I would have expected Bowie to be a bit more hands on when it came to it.

Mist.

August 18th, 2017, 1:46 pm #4

Bowie had a long habit of delegating things, though - according to Hutch, Ronson even used to do the vocals
at soundchecks and Bowie only turned up to give it final approval when Ronson was happy with it.
As for some attempt at an Arabic rap at the end of Yassassin...I'm suddenly a bit less eager to hear this remix!

August 18th, 2017, 4:19 pm #5

A Turkish Rap would be more appropriate, no pun intended!

August 18th, 2017, 7:59 pm #6

It's almost like he was being so right on that it was actually misguided and stupid.

August 18th, 2017, 8:07 pm #7

Tolly would know

August 18th, 2017, 8:39 pm #8

Tolly was a saint.

But yeah Lodger 2017 must rate as the biggest things we've got for a while. Excited.

August 19th, 2017, 6:30 am #9

'There are so many capable people, including his own staff and myself'

That is alarming. But hey, if he was cool with that, great. Does it show distain for us? Maybe. Maybe not.

August 19th, 2017, 4:20 pm #10

The concept's a bit crap though. It kind of encapsulates the rich, reclusive rock star, where you can't be bothered with your music anymore, so you delegate it to other people. I would have expected Bowie to be a bit more hands on when it came to it.

Mist.
The guy was dieing not to mention had his hands full with Lazarus and Blackstar.???

August 19th, 2017, 4:47 pm #11

It was done a while ago.

August 19th, 2017, 7:18 pm #12

yea - the remix isn't exactly what I'd call "new"

TV mentioned having finished it back in 2011... I mean - it's new to us (and the general public)
but it wasn't recently made

August 20th, 2017, 3:30 am #13

Tony didn't remember about I pray olé song

August 20th, 2017, 10:19 am #14

Last edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land on August 20th, 2017, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 21st, 2017, 6:38 pm #15

From the man himself;

Bowiewonderworld post:

Are any of my FB friends active in the above Bowie group? There seems to be a lot of erroneous and egregious comments about the remix of Lodger. For the record, remixing began in the middle of 2015, never before. It has been well documented that David and I always wanted to remix Lodger but there never seemed to be a good time to do that. In 2015 we were making Blackstar together and David was also busy with his musical Lazarus. There were short periods when David wasn't in the studio, yet I was in a high state of creativity. I opened up Fantastic Voyage and started to mix it and after a few hours I left it in a better state than I had found it (I did more tweaking later on). A few weeks later I tackled African Night Flight and Move On. Then I knew this album could sound great. After I had mixed Yassassin and Red Sails I surprised David with the results. He was extremely pleased and gave me the green light to finish mixing the entire album. Because we were still working on Blackstar that year I never got a chance to complete it until later in 2016 due to my other production commitments and Holy Holy tours. There you have it from me.

August 21st, 2017, 6:48 pm #16

Great Jack.Now, it's time Tony tell us about future archives releases
Last edited by MGOSCH on August 21st, 2017, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 21st, 2017, 7:59 pm #17

" I was in a high state of creativity"

stop sniggering at the back.

August 21st, 2017, 10:52 pm #18

From the man himself;

Bowiewonderworld post:

Are any of my FB friends active in the above Bowie group? There seems to be a lot of erroneous and egregious comments about the remix of Lodger. For the record, remixing began in the middle of 2015, never before. It has been well documented that David and I always wanted to remix Lodger but there never seemed to be a good time to do that. In 2015 we were making Blackstar together and David was also busy with his musical Lazarus. There were short periods when David wasn't in the studio, yet I was in a high state of creativity. I opened up Fantastic Voyage and started to mix it and after a few hours I left it in a better state than I had found it (I did more tweaking later on). A few weeks later I tackled African Night Flight and Move On. Then I knew this album could sound great. After I had mixed Yassassin and Red Sails I surprised David with the results. He was extremely pleased and gave me the green light to finish mixing the entire album. Because we were still working on Blackstar that year I never got a chance to complete it until later in 2016 due to my other production commitments and Holy Holy tours. There you have it from me.
...where is this message from?

I find it a bit "weird" to say that the remaster wasn't started until 2015... when we were all talking about it having already been done, well before then

I mean, there are several threads from 2011 - 2013 discussing it, with quotes from TV

like:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/8980/thr ... f+Lodger--

http://www.network54.com/Forum/8980/message/1391157285

Oh - and here's TV directly quoted in 2011:

"...I spoke to David just a few months ago and he said: “Do you fancy remixing this album?” I said: “Yes please, I’d love to remix the album.” But we had one great song, which was pretty electronic. We had a beatbox: Roland made these beatboxes with the habanero, mambo, cha-cha-cha on, and we had a great electronic technician for part of Bowie’s crew..."

-> So... I just don't buy that TV was talking with DB about remixing Lodger in 2011... then recorded "the Next Day" - later released in 2013 ... An album of which features a reworked song from the Lodger sessions ("Born in a UFO") - and STILL didn't do the "Lodger Remix/Remaster" for another 2 years
Last edited by biro_the_leggy on August 21st, 2017, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2017, 3:07 am #19

It is from his facebook page,are you doubting it's authenticity?
I can assure you it is directly from him.He often posts on there,obviously you have to be his "friend" to read his posts.
( I'm not saying I know him,he doesn't know me from Adam but he does accept friend requests)

August 22nd, 2017, 3:09 am #20

I hadn't actually seen his facebook post, until after I posted my response

having said all of this - I'm still excited for the release

August 22nd, 2017, 3:45 am #21

Me too,I didn't buy the first two box sets but I've pre-ordered this one.😁

August 22nd, 2017, 2:02 pm #22

So, after lurking on here to check out the back and forth, TV states categorically that he didn't begin to remix Lodger until 2015.
Ok, fair enough - he should know, after all!
But howcome there were people on here back in 2012 claiming that Visconti had 'confirmed' during his Red Bull Academy lecture in 2011 that he'd already remixed Lodger by that point?
Hmmm.
Did Visconti actually say that during the Red Bull lecture?
Or did someone here misunderstand what he'd said?
Or is Visconti bullshitting now, for whatever reason?
Can't really have it both ways - Visconti either 1) said in 2011 that he'd already remixed Lodger or 2) he only started the remix in 2015, 'never before'.
One of those claims has to be bullshit, no?
Last edited by Larranaga on August 22nd, 2017, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2017, 2:36 pm #23

When are we going to release "Blaze" Tony? I'm sure he knows this, but he won't give us an answer. Maybe on David's next birthday.

August 22nd, 2017, 3:17 pm #24

ugh...

Okay - after re-reading everything ... there's a CHANCE maybe we all 'misinterpreted' his comments
however, I just find that a bit unlikely b/c

(a) then that would mean that we all came to the same conclusion - based on the same comments - and that conclusion was wrong...
(b) what I've already mentioned about 'the Next Day' / 'Born in a UFO' -> in order to know about that song, they would've needed to be listening to the Lodger tapes, in order to know about the existence of the song - and why would they be listening to those tapes, if not for a remix/remaster project that they talked about two years before

but seriously - I don't think it really matters if this was done years ago - it's just strange to say that it was just recently started + finished.

and - we know that other things sat on a shelf for quite some time (ie the contents of the SWWM Target compilation...)

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Str ... se/3568626

AND - someone correct me if I'm wrong... but back around the time of the YA anniversary edition - didn't Bowie & Co. say that there weren't any other outtakes..? And then the Sigma Reel clips leaked out... and Tony was like "oh I don't even remember recording those"

[edit]

I guess there could be a third option...

MAYBE - this whole "Lodger Remix" was a long-germinating "passion project" which sort of happened in fits & starts*... but "real work" didn't actually begin until 2015? So then... in that situation everyone would be "right"

* which would also explain the leaking of information about "Lodger Ruffs" and "Scary Monsters Ruffs" (I forget what year that happened, but you can find it on this mb)
Last edited by biro_the_leggy on August 22nd, 2017, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2017, 4:00 pm #25

I think that as they were cataloguing and consolidating DB's archives, and opening boxes and moving them around , they might have discovered bits and pieces, that were misfiled or forgotten or unaccacounted for

How many pieces it was said that the archive contains, 75 thou ?

That's a whole lot of knickknacks , even worse for music media.

August 22nd, 2017, 4:16 pm #26

Yeah, you're right - 2011 or 2015, it don't matter either way.
I guess the really strange thing is that Visconti felt concerned enough to speak up and correct our 'egregious' error.
After all, if he lurks on here, he must've seen some right old shite spouted at times and he never bothered to put us right before!
Last edited by Larranaga on August 22nd, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2017, 4:33 pm #27

'right old shite'???!!! I think you mean a high state of creativity?

August 22nd, 2017, 4:45 pm #28

Larranaga - EXACTLY

...and on a somewhat related / unrelated note: what was the 'official response' to the "Strangers When We Meet" compilation (released through Target stores) - which included remastered tracks for the then-upcoming-but-never-released collector's editions of "Hunky Dory" and "Low"

August 22nd, 2017, 6:01 pm #29

It never existed. Those tracks were only remastered in 2016 and 2017.

August 22nd, 2017, 9:22 pm #30

ha!

August 23rd, 2017, 3:34 pm #31

Talking about Special Collectors Editions : At least ‘Hours..’ - released by Friday Music ( 2011 on the label) with Joe Ragoso as “reissue producer”. ( ? ) Was that the only one ?

August 23rd, 2017, 5:41 pm #32

(Thanks Biro - the last few hours were spent waiting for someone to not get it and post a 'NO YOU IDIOT HERE IT IS' with a link to ebay. Probably Stranger)