Listening to NLMD 2018 now.

6:20 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #1

Hi all,

Since I'm NZ, we're ahead of the world (well time wise). I'm listening to it now. I'm up to the 3rd track.

Day in Day OUt - is an improvement with its icy synth. I like it but I'm still not a fan of this song.
Time Will Crawl - It's not that different from the 2008 version. 
Beat of Your Drum - ok you know this one
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

6:26 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #2

NLMD  - Doesn't sound so different. I like it though. I prefer this version.
Zeroes - we know.
Glass Spider - the highlight so far. Great intro and then the groove kicks in. A vast improvement. I'm sure Mr B would have approved.
Shining Star - This version is also an improvement. Though it sounds very 90's for some reason (BTWN era) . And Laurie Anderson's bit. Waaay better than Mickey O'Rouke's effort.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6:46 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #3

New York's In Love - Heavier drums, Gabrels rocks it up with his wailing guitar and effects. It could be a missing Tin Machine track lol. very nice.
87 and Cry - Fairly faithful to the original.  Once again Gabrels has his bit all over it but does give it a refreshing twist.  
Bang Bang - OK you know this one too.

Overall it does make it a better album for sure. But whether we could consider a true Bowie album. we'll that's another story.

7:48 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #4

Well, the thing is, and this is gloriously Bowie, he’s not here to say what he thinks about it, but we all know the original sucked, don’t be coy, as did he. And as pop culture of the sort he pioneered, is now waning as a cultural force generally, how better to reinvigorate it than, as he and or eno said, crash your plane and walk away?

7:49 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #5

thanks. interesting notes.
I'm a fan of the original so this will be hard for me. I have high hopes for the weaker tracks, 87 and cry and new York's in love though.
beat of your drum was pretty poor I thought, but again it's probably as its my favourite track of the original.

8:28 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #6

muzz08 wrote: Well, the thing is, and this is gloriously Bowie, he’s not here to say what he thinks about it, but we all know the original sucked, don’t be coy, as did he. And as pop culture of the sort he pioneered, is now waning as a cultural force generally, how better to reinvigorate it than, as he and or eno said, crash your plane and walk away?
Good point. And don't forget that 'Warhol' silk screens sell for millions despite the fact that Warhol merely supplied the cropped image for many of the later silk screens - the actual silk screening (and often even the choice of colours and the signature too) was done by his assistants - yet the art world still considers these to be 'authentic' Warhols. Isn't NLMD 2018 just the musical equivalent of this kind of process?

8:30 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

"GlassSpider18" sounds like an outtake from Outside now.  Definitely my favorite of the bunch.  Although I do like the new version of "Zeroes18", a part of me misses the 80s production.  But it was always my favorite track on NLMD.  Certainly an interesting experiment.

9:12 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #8

LuisKantor wrote:
muzz08 wrote: Well, the thing is, and this is gloriously Bowie, he’s not here to say what he thinks about it, but we all know the original sucked, don’t be coy, as did he. And as pop culture of the sort he pioneered, is now waning as a cultural force generally, how better to reinvigorate it than, as he and or eno said, crash your plane and walk away?
Good point. And don't forget that 'Warhol' silk screens sell for millions despite the fact that Warhol merely supplied the cropped image for many of the later silk screens - the actual silk screening (and often even the choice of colours and the signature too) was done by his assistants - yet the art world still considers these to be 'authentic' Warhols. Isn't NLMD 2018 just the musical equivalent of this kind of process?
By that logic. Does that mean the new Presely and Franklin orchestral albums are officially albums of theirs?

9:19 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #9

ziggythecowboy wrote:
LuisKantor wrote:
By that logic. Does that mean the new Presely and Franklin orchestral albums are officially albums of theirs?
Warhol - and db - authorised their assistants to carry out the work. Understand now?

9:20 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #10

v2david wrote: "GlassSpider18" sounds like an outtake from Outside now.  Definitely my favorite of the bunch.  Although I do like the new version of "Zeroes18", a part of me misses the 80s production.  But it was always my favorite track on NLMD.  Certainly an interesting experiment.
I know what you mean. I found that was the only track on the album that didn't need anything doing to it at all. Having said that, I do like the new version.

10:58 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #11

Did another listen through. Highly enjoyable. Some of the songs seem like they would fit in nicely with Reality. Some would be nice Next Day outtakes. I really like "New York's In Love". Maybe it is because the original isn't ingrained in my head, but it sounds very fresh. Definitely could be off TND. "Never Let Me Down" has never been one of my favorites, but I really like this treatment of it. It isn't a major change, but it doesn't sound as dated. As previously mentioned, I really like "Zeroes" as well as "Glass Spider". Infact most of the songs I would say are improvements or at the very least interesting. My biggest problem still is the strings. They sound out of place, but thankfully they are only featured on a couple of songs. I know some of you hate the fact they made this, but I'm loving revisiting this album. I thought this would be the least interesting boxset release and they have actually made it the most exciting. Good job TPTB. And nice to have Reeves back in the Bowie family.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11:13 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #12

v2david wrote: Did another listen through.  Highly enjoyable.  Some of the songs seem like they would fit in nicely with Reality.  Some would be nice Next Day outtakes.  I really like "New York's In Love".  Maybe it is because the original isn't ingrained in my head, but it sounds very fresh.  Definitely could be off TND.  "Never Let Me Down" has never been one of my favorites, but I really like this treatment of it.  It isn't a major change, but it doesn't sound as dated.  As previously mentioned, I really like "Zeroes" as well as "Glass Spider".  Infact most of the songs I would say are improvements or at the very least interesting. My biggest problem still is the strings.  They sound out of place, but thankfully they are only featured on a couple of songs.  I know some of you hate the fact they made this, but I'm loving revisiting this album.  I thought this would be the least interesting boxset release and they have actually made it the most exciting.  Good job TPTB.  And nice to have Reeves back in the Bowie family.

Yes as a whole this boxset is more interesting than the others. However the re:call album is a bit of a let down. It pretty much features half of NLMD. It could have included Live Aid instead.

12:22 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #13

[/quote]
Yes as a whole this boxset is more interesting than the others. However the re:call album is a bit of a let down. It pretty much features half of NLMD. It could have included Live Aid instead.
[/quote]

Perhaps Live Aid will be a RSD release.

12:45 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #14

Perhaps Live Aid will be a RSD release.
[/quote]

Maybe. that would be nice. depending on teh price.

Actually there is this..http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... oad-sites/

2:23 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #15

ziggythecowboy wrote: Perhaps Live Aid will be a RSD release.
Maybe. that would be nice. depending on teh price.

Actually there is this..http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... oad-sites/
[/quote]

Oh. This is crazy. Completely missed this.

5:37 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #16

LuisKantor wrote:
Good point...we all know that Bowie encouraged - and later pretty much demanded (politely of course) that musicians 'bring something to the table' in terms of musical invention in the final arrangement of his compositions.

So to me, his sign off isn't such a deal-breaker... as he admitted he felt his decisions were wrong on NLMD. I still get, and *partly* agree this after the fact re-recording is slightly less authentic or whatever term might fit, but for me the end is going to justify the means in this case.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

5:58 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #17

Seeing the link upthread to the Live Aid download, it peeves me that to this day, the version of Dancing in the Street that was broadcast on Live Aid a few times, and on TOTP at the time at least 4 times has never had an official release and is not on this box set either.

I know some hate the Bowie / Jagger version of this song, I don't. I have a big soft spot for it as it was one of the songs I grew up with, and at the time it was one of the better Bowie mid 80s releases for me.

The mix in the video - broadcast many times and the single released subsequently were very different. The video mix had much more prominent organ and a nice synth bass. The single had overdubbed rhythm guitar , horns and more traditional sounding bass.

There must be a stereo recording of the original mix, and while not everyone will care so much, in the interests of historical accuracy in terms of one of the things that helped bolster the Live Aid broadcast on the day, and helped the single sell a lot for Live Aid and get to number 1 was *that* deleted video mix of this song.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

6:11 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #18

All you people putting forward tenuous arguments that NLMD 2018 is a bona fide, genuine, real deal David Bowie album.

Well! You will all convince yourselves if you keep saying it often enough.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

6:39 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #19

Its on Spotify.

6:56 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #20

SHHWEEET! wrote: All you people putting forward tenuous arguments that NLMD 2018 is a bona fide, genuine, real deal David Bowie album.

All you people putting forward tenuous arguments that NLMD 2018 is NOT a bona fide, genuine, real deal David Bowie album.

If it wasn't legit / genuine / bona fide it wouldn't be released under db's name, would it?  He hated the original, he loved MM's reworking of Time Will Crawl, he put on record a desire to redo the whole album, he evidently had very detailed discussions with MM as to how the reworked NLMD should sound, he authorised and encouraged MM to do it, and he was happy for the results to be included as part of his official discography otherwise it would not be appearing in the current box set. There's nothing "tenuous" about any of that. All those whining that it's "not a proper album" must be 80s kids living in the past, unable to accept that the original album was a piece of shit that even db hated.

7:18 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #21

Now, up front I have to be totally transparent, NLMD was the first "proper" Bowie album that came out after I was infected with the bowiebug as a vulnerable 15 year old. I played my original cassette copy until it broke then bought another. I have three different versions on CD. I have the 7" and 12" singles and even cassingles. I LOVED this record and was oblivious to all the negativity. I hadn't even heard Hunky Dory. I can now see all the things say about it are true, but it doesn't stop me having affection for all its quirks and horrors.

So, when I heard this was happening I was thrilled /scared.

On first listens, what it appears to have is lots of worthy cronky guitar, nice bass and all of the cheesy eighties *energy* sucked out of it. I like it, but I can't stop my brain from wanting the little whistles and bells that I've heard a thousand times to appear. The worst example is NLMD itself which has had the charm and melody  surgically removed.

It now sounds like something Bowie might have been involved in (in the nineties perhaps) but obviously lacks any right angle turns that he would have thrown in. That said Glass Spider and Shining Star are massive improvements I think.

Feels very serious and worthy and grungy, but some of the lovely glitter has been accidentally scraped off in the process.

I'll listen to it another 346 times and let you know what I think ;)

7:21 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #22

LuisKantor wrote:
SHHWEEET! wrote: All you people putting forward tenuous arguments that NLMD 2018 is a bona fide, genuine, real deal David Bowie album.

All you people putting forward tenuous arguments that NLMD 2018 is NOT a bona fide, genuine, real deal David Bowie album.

Nothing tenuous about my arguments.

Bowie wasn’t hands on with it because he is dead. Bowie hasn’t approved it because he is dead. Bowie hasn’t even heard it because he is dead. And when he apparently said he wanted to re- record NLMD, we don’t really know exactly how he would have done it because, you’ve guessed it! the guy is dead! and isn’t here to confirm it all either way.

NLMD 2018 no matter how good it is or isn’t ( I haven’t heard it yet )  always will be a reimagined version cooked up by those who think they know how Bowie would have done it.

Nothing bonafide or genuine about it.

I’m a 70s kid btw, and just because the original NLMD is shit its still way more legit than NLMD 2018 ever will be. It’s been included in the new box set under Bowie’s name because brand Bowie sells and for no other reason than that.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

7:37 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #23

But there's angels in a ton of sound.

8:17 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #24

As for the rest of the boxset. There's a few omissions. When the Wind Blows extended. Girls (Japanese version). Al Alba

9:03 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #25

9:22 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #26

SHHWEEET! wrote:NLMD 2018 no matter how good it is or isn’t ( I haven’t heard it yet )  always will be a reimagined version cooked up by those who think they know how Bowie would have done it.
Nothing bonafide or genuine about it...and just because the original NLMD is shit its still way more legit than NLMD 2018 ever will be.
This. Absolutely. I'd like to hear NLMD2018, but I can't see it as a 'real' Bowie album any more than Club Bowie is.
Reeves being 'all over it' isn't exactly a selling point either, arf... 
I know no one's had time to give it a forensic going over yet, but has anyone noticed if there are any more obvious replacements of Bowie's vocals, as on Bang Bang? 

10:04 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #27

ziggythecowboy wrote: As for the rest of the boxset. There's a few omissions. When the Wind Blows extended. Girls (Japanese version). Al Alba
more than a few ztc, no magic dance dance mix, the first 12 inch mixes of twc and dido, dancing big boys dub, even dancing inn the street is missing the steve thompson extended and the even better rarer dub version, but yes wind blows extended is the worst omission.

11:12 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #28

I think someone said that Magic Dance is a different version as well.

1:10 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #29

doctoroctopussy wrote: I think someone said that Magic Dance is a different version as well.
I'd not heard that.

1:17 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #30

LuisKantor wrote:
Yes I get all this, but the simple fact remains he wasn’t there when it was made, he has had no input whatsoever apart from leaving little brown envelopes with basic wishes and a rough list of musicians he would like to be included but not actually saying who for definite. He wasn’t at the recording and mixing stage of NLMD 2018 so was unable to say “yeah I want that”or “no that doesn’t sound quite right” he has had absolutely no creative input whatsoever with this album. He hasn’t re-recorded his vocals either.  How can anybody say this is a bonafide genuine David Bowie album?

What it is is a reimagined version of NLMD with Bowie’s apparent blessing, although it would be nice if MM or Reeves could provide some actual written proof of this instead of just verbal assurances, and I don’t mean a throw away comment within the liner notes of the iselect album, or a one off production / re- mix of Time Will Crawl when he was alive!

But Bowie’s blessing aside, those of you who are cracking on this is genuine brand new Bowie album are seriously clutching at the straws of credibility.

Let’s be totally honest here, what we have here is a money making exercise designed to make money for Parlophone and Bowie’s estate simple as. If it turns out to be better than the original then great! brilliant! we can all enjoy it for what it is me Included if it turns out to be an improvement, but come on! let’s not pretend it’s something it’s not.

I really hope NLMD 2018 hasn’t set a trend for the future.

Anyway I’d better go and listen to it. 😉🙂

1:33 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #31

I love the comments that NLMD18 is a money grab. Of course it is. Bowie is a business. It always has been. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I am happy to have something "new" to listen to rather then the exact same songs repackaged for the 1000x. Is it a 100% genuine Bowie album? Of course not! But if you don't like it, don't buy it or listen to it. Frankly the only ones listening to it are hard-core collectors. It is never going mainstream or replacing the original album.

I am really happy with the way the estate has handled the releases so far. It is nice to have some new Bowie material (even if not authentic). And I look forward to more in the future...

1:50 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #32

v2david wrote: I love the comments that NLMD18 is a money grab.  Of course it is.  Bowie is a business.  It always has been.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I am happy to have something "new" to listen to rather then the exact same songs repackaged for the 1000x.  Is it a 100% genuine Bowie album?  Of course not! But if you don't like it, don't buy it or listen to it. Frankly the only ones listening to it are hard-core collectors.  It is never going mainstream or replacing the original album.
So money grabbing is ok is it because “Bowie is a business “ So you won’t have a problem if shite on the lines of Club Bowie make an appearance sometime in the future? Bowie is a money making business so we shouldn’t care? I was happy to have something new of Bowie to listen to when Club Bowie came out and look how that monstrosity is viewed these days.

I’m well aware that if I don’t like it I don’t have to listen to it ( Why do people always default to that statement? ) but I’m a fan so of course I’m going to bloody listen to it. However if it’s crap then no I won’t buy it, but if it’s good or an improvement on the original then I will. Obviously.

At least we are agreed it’s not a 100% genuine Bowie album.

2:27 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #33

SHHWEEET! wrote:
v2david wrote: I love the comments that NLMD18 is a money grab.  Of course it is.  Bowie is a business.  It always has been.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I am happy to have something "new" to listen to rather then the exact same songs repackaged for the 1000x.  Is it a 100% genuine Bowie album?  Of course not! But if you don't like it, don't buy it or listen to it. Frankly the only ones listening to it are hard-core collectors.  It is never going mainstream or replacing the original album.
So money grabbing is ok is it because “Bowie is a business “ So you won’t have a problem if shite on the lines of Club Bowie make an appearance sometime in the future? Bowie is a money making business so we shouldn’t care? I was happy to have something new of Bowie to listen to when Club Bowie came out and look how that monstrosity is viewed these days.

I’m well aware that if I don’t like it I don’t have to listen to it ( Why do people always default to that statement? ) but I’m a fan so of course I’m going to bloody listen to it. However if it’s crap then no I won’t buy it, but if it’s good or an improvement on the original then I will. Obviously.

At least we are agreed it’s not a 100% genuine Bowie album.
Well it doesn't really matter what you or I think. The releases are going to keep coming as long as there is a market for them. Being a purist, my guess is you will like some of the genuine unreleased material which will seep out over the next few years. But most stuff will just be a rerelease and repackaging of stuff you already have. Occasionally we will get something like NLMD18 which some fans like me will love (and some like you will hate). But it's not stopping. So I really don't know what to tell you. They can't make everyone happy.

2:34 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #34

I like the Lohner mix of "Bring Me the Disco King" better then Bowie's original. While Bowie was of course alive at the time, I doubt he had any involvement in this at all. Perhaps it got his approval, but he likely had no involvement.

That is how I feel about NLMD18. It is a different creation of his songs with his original vocals. It is about as genuine as any of these "remixes" Bowie likely had nothing to do with. Sure he was alive to give his "approval" but they were basically done without him.

2:42 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #35

I gave it a listen last night. Sounds pretty good, with nods to Outside and Reality - but a thought does spring to mind...

Wasn’t NLMD supposed to be a bit like Young Americans? Not in the same style of music, but rather a pop-sounding record with lyrics about people going through tough situations? Isn’t that the usual Bowie hat trick (Let’s Dance, She’ll Drive The Big Car)? To make something sound slick and inviting, but have the lyrical content be about something unsettling?

With the new production, almost every song sounds “dark” now. There’s a lot to like in the 2018 version, but I do wonder if perhaps they missed the point just a little...

Or maybe Bowie left instructions saying he wanted it to be a more grim affair overall.

2:47 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #36

I'd prefer to hear Blah Blah Blah versions with Bowie's guide vocals

3:55 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #37

Bowie himself supposedly played the guitar solos on the original versions of 87 & Cry and New York's In Love -  
have those survived onto the 2018 version or has some of Bowie's own work been removed?  
Replacing the session flunkies is one thing, but taking Bowie off his own record would be another no-no for me.  

4:03 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #38

Larranaga wrote:Bowie himself supposedly played the guitar solos on the original versions of 87 & Cry and New York's In Love -  
have those survived onto the 2018 version or has some of Bowie's own work been removed?  
Replacing the session flunkies is one thing, but taking Bowie off his own record would be another no-no for me.  
I don't know about those particular songs, but I did watch a few interviews and it seems they tried to keep in any instruments and backing vocals Bowie did for the songs.

4:07 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #39

ziggythecowboy wrote:Shining Star - This version is also an improvement. Though it sounds very 90's for some reason (BTWN era) . And Laurie Anderson's bit. Waaay better than Mickey O'Rouke's effort.
It sounds so 90s! I had the same response, but I don't think that's an improvement.

4:12 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #40

Strung out on lasers wrote:
ziggythecowboy wrote:Shining Star - This version is also an improvement. Though it sounds very 90's for some reason (BTWN era) . And Laurie Anderson's bit. Waaay better than Mickey O'Rouke's effort.
It sounds so 90s! I had the same response, but I don't think that's an improvement.
yes - the whole things sounds a bit outsidey. A bit grungy. Lacking in light and shade though (where outside wasn't).

doesn't mean that I don't like it, just haven't adjusted my ear to the new versions yet. It will takes weeks for me to decide whether I like/prefer it all or not.

4:13 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #41

Larranaga wrote: Bowie himself supposedly played the guitar solos on the original versions of 87 & Cry and New York's In Love -  
yes, they definitely said that - all of Bowie's instrumentation is retained (apparently).

4:18 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #42

sinj wrote:
Strung out on lasers wrote:
yes - the whole things sounds a bit outsidey. A bit grungy. Lacking in light and shade though (where outside wasn't).

doesn't mean that I don't like it, just haven't adjusted my ear to the new versions yet. It will takes weeks for me to decide whether I like/prefer it all or not.
I don't mind the more Outside sounding tracks, but the drums on Shining Star are like a white artists failed attempt at caching in on the R&B sound of the mid 90s. 

4:37 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #43

v2david wrote: "GlassSpider18" sounds like an outtake from Outside now.  Definitely my favorite of the bunch.  Although I do like the new version of "Zeroes18", a part of me misses the 80s production.  But it was always my favorite track on NLMD.  Certainly an interesting experiment.
Well I’ve listened to it and have to agree with you v2david.

Day In Day Out is fairly interesting now with some interesting things going on within it certainly. Although it will never be a favourite of mine it is better than the original and isn’t now a skipper as much as it was, and should get played now when listening to NLMD 2018.

Time Will Crawl. Yeah it’s ok as Ziggy The Cowboy said not that much different from the original but pleasant enough in its own way, a great alternative listen but not a replacement for the original.

Beat Of Your Drum. Been discussed at length on here already, I like it and it suits the added strings and guitar work.

Never Let Me Down. Not sure about this yet? It’s lost the jaunty feel of the original and now takes itself much more serious. It seems slowed down and is much more sophisticated now, but I can’t help feeling it’s waiting to sort of get going. I think I prefer the original but I still like this as an alternative listen.

Zeroes. Again much discussed on here already. I prefer it much more than the original, especially now it’s lost that pretty dire opening. It’s stays faithful to the original but feels more accomplished and I like it the more I play it.

Glass Spider. Major transformation. It reminded me of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind when it first started up. Yes I can hear the 1. Outside influences, but I don’t agree it could be on that album. It’s very spacey and weird. It’s very interesting what they have done with this. A great alternative version but I do still kind of like the original. However this sits alongside it as a great alternative companion piece.

Shining Star. It’s ok but it’s a bit of a plodder now tbh. Not a lot more to be said really, the songs a total clunker and that’s it. Weirdly I do miss the original rap part! Who would have thunk it.

New York’s In Love. Here I’m starting to fall out with NLMD 2018. NYIL was always a bit of a favourite stomper of mine in its original form even if I seem to be in the minority with that view. This just doesn’t work for me even though I suspect it might for others. I love the power and the drive of the original and this has somehow lost something in the transition.

87 & Cry. Another of my favourites from the original. Again this doesn’t work for me for the same reasons I’ve given for NYIL. It’s dumbed down somehow? It’s lost  it’s manic power a bit. Having said that there is a really great guitar strain in it around the middle part.

Bang Bang. Again discussed on here already. It’s a total disaster, it doesn’t suit the strings, sounds forced, and is trying far to hard to be something it isn’t.

Summary. An interesting project which goes someway to righting the wrongs of the original. On balance I quite like it 60% to 40% in it’s favour I’d say. Like v2david though I do kind of miss the 80s production which is quite a surprise to me, but on balance NLMD 2018 is an improvement. It won’t replace the original though, and it always will be a dire album. Will I play it? Yes but nowhere near as much as I do the obvious classics, and whilst it’s new at the moment, I can see this new version getting forgotten just like its original in the not to distant future.

I’m going to enjoy it whilst it’s still fresh. I can’t say fairer than that.

5:23 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #44

Wow Glass Spider is unreal they have absolutely nailed it

8:22 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #45

I find much of the original NLMD a huge cringe fest but this is a revelation - a huge triumph, to my ears. It’s clever and somehow enhances the original vocal. When I originally heard about this project I just didn’t think it would work. How would it be possible to make New York’s In Love and ‘87 And Cry listenable? When I got to the end, I just put it on again. Glass Spider in particular is fantastic. I’ve read the comments about whether this is a legit Bowie release and understand the arguments on both sides but for me it is legit. I remember being blown away by Trent Reznor’s reworking of IAOA - much better than the Earthling version IMO and I think Bowie thought so too as he started to play that version live. Bowie’s career has always been about collaborating with other musicians. I don’t think he was precious about his music in that way. If someone had a great idea, he was more than happy to use it. I appreciate he didn’t get to authorise NLMD 2018, but it’s miles better than the original so I think he would have approved. Personally, I feel like a new Bowie album got released today, so I’m more than happy.

9:21 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #46

UrchinOne wrote: I find much of the original NLMD a huge cringe fest but this is a revelation - a huge triumph, to my ears. It’s clever and somehow enhances the original vocal. When I originally heard about this project I just didn’t think it would work. How would it be possible to make New York’s In Love and ‘87 And Cry listenable? When I got to the end, I just put it on again. Glass Spider in particular is fantastic. I’ve read the comments about whether this is a legit Bowie release and understand the arguments on both sides but for me it is legit. I remember being blown away by Trent Reznor’s reworking of IAOA - much better than the Earthling version IMO and I think Bowie thought so too as he started to play that version live. Bowie’s career has always been about collaborating with other musicians. I don’t think he was precious about his music in that way. If someone had a great idea, he was more than happy to use it. I appreciate he didn’t get to authorise NLMD 2018, but it’s miles better than the original so I think he would have approved. Personally, I feel like a new Bowie album got released today, so I’m more than happy.
Though we can never say for sure but I think Bowie would have been happy with the results. It would have been interesting to hear what they could have doe with Girls.

9:25 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #47

I've only heard it twice as yet and I suspect that it'll get better with further listens (which is encouraging in itself). But at the moment I'm for the most part very pleasantly surprised. I have some gripes too, but let's see if a few more spins resolves those. One thing that struck me is that Beat of Your Drum and Zeroes both benefit from being full length rather than edits - Zeroes in particular seems to retain more of the original's faux-sixties vibe than the single version did.   

9:59 AM - Oct 13, 2018 #48

A lot of the album now seems to plod along, slowed down, stripped of its tempo and sense of urgency.
I'm missing a lot of fun little things from the original.
The strings are often out-of-place, and some of the guitar work is less than inspiring.
Still, all very interesting and sometimes beautiful.

2:11 PM - Oct 13, 2018 #49

ArdentDesir wrote: A lot of the album now seems to plod along, slowed down, stripped of its tempo and sense of urgency.
I'm missing a lot of fun little things from the original.
The strings are often out-of-place, and some of the guitar work is less than inspiring.
Still, all very interesting and sometimes beautiful.
I get what you mean but I'm listening to it now in full for the first time and loud and I didn't think I'd quite enjoy it so much.
I'm still not sold on beat of your drum but what I consider the weaker songs like new York's in love, shining star ,87 and cry and possibly bang bang, these new versions sound amazing.
I'm also liking day in day out and never let me down as they remain quite faithful to the original. it really does work pretty well together as an album and if I see this as an alternative not a replacement to the original album then I feel much better about it. I'm going for a second spin.

3:26 PM - Oct 13, 2018 #50

Reading the various thoughts on NLMD 2018 scattered about in different threads on here it strikes me how different we all are when it comes to which of the reworked tracks we individually either like or don’t like.

Who would be a rock / pop star eh 😉