It's no Game vocal

It's no Game vocal

May 17th, 2017, 7:26 pm #1

just picked this up from the Fall forum - the lady who sings on It's no Game is one of the 2 ladies on the cover of the Sparks Kimono My House lp - see here -

http://z1.invisionfree.com/thefall/inde ... ry40062209

May 17th, 2017, 8:15 pm #2

Fairly well known, non?

May 17th, 2017, 10:15 pm #3

Well I never knew that, Saw sparks play at the Islington academy playing this album as well as Indiscrete and Propaganda
Bloody brilliant !

May 17th, 2017, 11:11 pm #4

I wasn't aware of this either, and my friend, Sal Maida, played bass for them on their '76 'Big Beat' LP just before he joined Roxy. "It's No Game (Pt. I)" could be in my top 10 fave Bowie tunes (and that ain't no easy feat to compile).

May 18th, 2017, 6:02 am #5

Ah were we talking about Milk N Cookies a few years ago?

May 18th, 2017, 9:12 am #6

Wot, you mean that's not the Maels in drag?!
Ooh, them pesky urban myths...
Ere, Tony, did the Maels play your friend, Sal, the Big Beat demos/rehearsal tapes that Ronson played on?
Ron Mael said that Ronno had 'played with great abandon' and the demos were so good they
played them to Jeffrey Salen, the guitarist for the album, and said 'play like that!'
But no one seems to have heard them since -
Jim Wilson, who played guitar on Sparks 21x21 shows, was a big Ronson fan, but even he didn't get to hear them.

Last edited by Larranaga on May 18th, 2017, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 18th, 2017, 9:46 am #7

Annoyingly, I turned them down years ago and opted for the 1978 Arista Demos in a swap. FFS.

May 18th, 2017, 12:06 pm #8

Sickener! Apparently, they're 'boombox' tapes from rehearsals rather than actual demos
but it'd be brilliant to hear them.
How they failed to get onto the Big Beat remaster a few years back, I'll never know.

May 18th, 2017, 8:31 pm #9

Ah were we talking about Milk N Cookies a few years ago?
That's correct, hangman. Great '70s band. Funny story, but I was at Reckless Records in Soho in March (I'm from Chicagloand) and I found the new Milk n Cookies vinyl reissue and when I went to purchase it they said they couldn't find the actual record. This 20 minutes after being in Sister Ray Records across the street and being told they couldn't find the 7" record for the original UK Bowie "Beauty and The Beast" 45 sleeve I brought to the counter to purchase. So much for my London record buying experience.

May 18th, 2017, 8:41 pm #10

Ere, Tony, did the Maels play your friend, Sal, the Big Beat demos/rehearsal tapes that Ronson played on?
Ron Mael said that Ronno had 'played with great abandon' and the demos were so good they
played them to Jeffrey Salen, the guitarist for the album, and said 'play like that!'
Jim Wilson, who played guitar on Sparks 21x21 shows, was a big Ronson fan, but even he didn't get to hear them.
Very interesting, Larranga. I'll see if he's heard them and will give you holler if so.

May 19th, 2017, 6:14 am #11

That's correct, hangman. Great '70s band. Funny story, but I was at Reckless Records in Soho in March (I'm from Chicagloand) and I found the new Milk n Cookies vinyl reissue and when I went to purchase it they said they couldn't find the actual record. This 20 minutes after being in Sister Ray Records across the street and being told they couldn't find the 7" record for the original UK Bowie "Beauty and The Beast" 45 sleeve I brought to the counter to purchase. So much for my London record buying experience.
Ha!

Weirdly it was in that same Sister Ray that I saw the recent M&C reissue. Would've picked it up but was a bit pricy. Got most of it anyhoo.

May 19th, 2017, 9:49 am #12

Sister Ray was a good shop in the 90s - it's clearly gone downhill!

May 19th, 2017, 10:40 am #13

Berwick Street was better in the 90s

May 19th, 2017, 12:50 pm #14

selectadisc was my favourite.
you got some great bargains in there. think it was where sister ray is now.
I bought more or less all the ryko clear vinyls there for around £6 or £7 each. they even had the beeb sampler cd for £10.

mister cd was another good shop got a lot of the emi/ryko cds there and they sold a portrait in flesh and prince's black album.

May 19th, 2017, 12:55 pm #15

Selectadisc in Nottingham was by far the best record shop I ever went in. Absolutely shitloads of rare or obscure stuff at really good prices.
It was everything that Sheffield's feeble pseud-hole, Record Collector, thinks it is but never even vaguely has been.

May 19th, 2017, 1:03 pm #16

RE: Mister CD: I remember cruising around the west end early monday morning a few times and followed men in tracksuits pinching armfuls of new releases from Tower and taking them to Mister CD. Lovely stuff.

Their bargain basement ate up most of my Saturday afternoons too, listening to the footie on the radio in there and browsing. Heaven.

Yeah Selectadisc became Sister Ray and then closed down and moved across the road to the old MVE junk shop. Reckless has changed a few times. Really don't like it in there. MVE and the original Sister Ray in the market are now gone, but after the building finishes they are hoping to reopen.

May 19th, 2017, 1:06 pm #17

Thinking about the Ronno / Sparks tape: I'm not sure it was a particularly inspiring selection of songs featured so I took the 1978 demos as I hadn't heard them before. Funny story about Big Beat - Sparks had to submit the sleeve artwork complete with track list before the recording had even begun. Curious.

May 19th, 2017, 5:16 pm #18

Larranaga ~ Sal said he not only heard these tapes but that he was the one who brought Ronno into Sparks! He said he also had these tapes on cassette, but can't find them now, which is a shame. He did say that Ronno "played great on them but in the end bailed on the project." He didn't go into much more detail, but did say that he has a book of his memoirs coming out this summer entitled "Four Strings, Phony Proof and 300 45's," which goes into more on all this. Being a big fan of all the bands he's been in, not to mention Sal's just a good all around dude, I, for one, am looking forward to this read when it comes out.

May 19th, 2017, 6:03 pm #19

His autobiography sounds great. Remind us nearer the time when it's out.

May 19th, 2017, 6:41 pm #20

Larranaga ~ Sal said he not only heard these tapes but that he was the one who brought Ronno into Sparks! He said he also had these tapes on cassette, but can't find them now, which is a shame. He did say that Ronno "played great on them but in the end bailed on the project." He didn't go into much more detail, but did say that he has a book of his memoirs coming out this summer entitled "Four Strings, Phony Proof and 300 45's," which goes into more on all this. Being a big fan of all the bands he's been in, not to mention Sal's just a good all around dude, I, for one, am looking forward to this read when it comes out.
Tony - that's brilliant, mate, cheers for that! I'll definitely look out for Sal's book when it's out.
Suzi Fussey said that Mick couldn't do Big Beat because of Dylan's schedule.
However, Hilly Michaels (drummer on Big Beat)reckoned that the Maels were so keen to keep Ronno
that they sent round a management contract and asked him to sign it there and then.
Having just escaped Tony DeFries, Ronson apparently didn't want to be tied down and bailed on the whole thing.
Who knows.
Will be great to hear Sal's version of events - thanks again, Tony!

May 19th, 2017, 6:51 pm #21

His autobiography sounds great. Remind us nearer the time when it's out.
Will do... I'm pretty stoked for it!

May 19th, 2017, 6:57 pm #22

Thinking about the Ronno / Sparks tape: I'm not sure it was a particularly inspiring selection of songs featured so I took the 1978 demos as I hadn't heard them before. Funny story about Big Beat - Sparks had to submit the sleeve artwork complete with track list before the recording had even begun. Curious.
I love sparks. I have almost all there albums. hello young lovers and exotic creatures are superb, as great as there classic 70s albums. I look forward to hippopotamus.

May 19th, 2017, 7:04 pm #23

Tony - that's brilliant, mate, cheers for that! I'll definitely look out for Sal's book when it's out.
Suzi Fussey said that Mick couldn't do Big Beat because of Dylan's schedule.
However, Hilly Michaels (drummer on Big Beat)reckoned that the Maels were so keen to keep Ronno
that they sent round a management contract and asked him to sign it there and then.
Having just escaped Tony DeFries, Ronson apparently didn't want to be tied down and bailed on the whole thing.
Who knows.
Will be great to hear Sal's version of events - thanks again, Tony!
Yeah, could've certainly been both reasons, Larranaga.... 'specially Hilly's take on it : )
Just found a photo of the book cover doing a search. Looks pretty damn cool...http://ow.ly/UpgG30bSzBD
Sal had also mentioned this morning that the Chicago record label HoZac Records is publishing the book. I know he's got some Bowie stories (huge fan natch) so hope some of these make the book as well!