Hero: David Bowie by Lesley Ann Jones

April 19th, 2018, 7:35 am #1

Anyone reading/read this book? I am about half way through and I find the style nauseating. There are a few interesting bits of information - enough to make me finish it but the tabloid style is vomit inducing (just read the page about the last Ziggy concert!). Is there any book out there that does not use this style or the equally nauseating rock journalism (guitar licks/synth washes - yuk) kind of speak?

April 20th, 2018, 3:03 pm #2

Yes, she is a former tabloid writer which is why I avoided the book. Because she was "easy on the eye" she managed to travel with some of  bands in the 80's and got closer than male journos were allowed to but her style of writing is pure bubble gum and caters for the Daily Mail/Mirror reader who she used to write for...I enjoyed Dylan Jones' book recently - nothing revelationary in it but I enjoyed the interview format.

April 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm #3

The book is junk with no merit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3rd, 2018, 2:48 pm #4

I agree. Almost finished it. Surprised by the gossip about drinking/sleeping with certain people, quite horrible really. Only interesting bit for me was about the 'Indonesian' house Bowie had built. The book also makes DB sound quite vacuous which is astonishing . . .

May 12th, 2018, 9:41 am #5

Finished! I persevered despite the horrid writing style. There were a few things that I didn't know about that were interesting eg the yacht/ Mustique house and lifestyle phase of his life. I also got a sense of maybe Bowie struggling to find contentment and a 'normal' existence but there was a lot of unsubstantiated rumour and speculation in there. When will the definitive biography be published? I think Coco must hold that one in memory and maybe archive but I suppose we'll never get to read that one.