Hearing Aladdin Sane with fresh ears.....

4:13 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #1

As a jaded old git this just warmed my heart. A fifteen or sixteen year old hearing Aladdin Sane for the first time. It helped me hear the album again with fresh ears.

"Watching them dash away........"

Cheers
Jx

5:41 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #2

A friend of mine played the title track for his 18-year-old-son, who thought himself a whiz on the synthesizer. Mr. Garson's solo made him fling off his earphones and retreat to his bedroom.
"Schtum!"

9:17 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3

The Bowie's albums with Garson are my favorites.

9:20 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #4

Charles Shaar Murray and Roy Carr were right about the mix on Watch That Man tho. 

7:33 AM - Sep 21, 2018 #5

Oh how I picked those words clean in English classes at school! ASane was a great source of inspiration for teenage writing, the music was and still is brilliant too . . .

10:43 AM - Sep 21, 2018 #6

cruelgarden wrote: As a jaded old git this just warmed my heart. A fifteen or sixteen year old hearing Aladdin Sane for the first time. It helped me hear the album again with fresh ears.

"Watching them dash away........"

Cheers
Jx
I love this. 

2:55 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #7

Amazing.   Most young people i work with under 30, have no idea who David Bowie is. 

6:28 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #8

. . . no idea who David Bowie is
Astonishing!!!

8:39 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #9

Odysseus wrote: . . . no idea who David Bowie is
Astonishing!!!
Not really, rock n roll is  dead to the under 30 crowd. its been dying for a while.   Hip hop/rap artists are  out selling some of the greatest rock n roll bands in history! The new generation growing up only knows rap and some pop bands.  Classic rock stars like Bowie, Zep, Stones, Floyd, Beatles..etc  are grandparents music to most young folks.        

9:36 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #10

Bless. That was wonderful to watch and listen to. This is one of the main reasons why I set up BowieWonderworld 21 years ago.

I want to encourage people, like this guy, to listen and experience David Bowie for their first time, and hopefully get the same feelings I got 58 years ago!

Whoever you are, David Bowie is timeless, and will enrich your life beyond your dreams.

10:02 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #11

. . . are grandparents music to most young folks.
So was Frank Sinatra to me when I was 12 and first heard Bowie but I still knew who Sinatra was! Rock n Roll may be dead to under 30s but to have never heard of DB shows a frightening lack of awareness of culture in general. Get out of the bubble people.

10:33 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #12

gabe_ wrote: Hip hop/rap artists are  out selling some of the greatest rock n roll bands in history! The new generation growing up only knows rap and some pop bands.  Classic rock stars like Bowie, Zep, Stones, Floyd, Beatles..etc  are grandparents music to most young folks.       
My niece is 18 and her favourite music is Dusty Springfield, The Beach Boys, Billie Holiday, T Rex, The Beatles and Nick Drake. I just texted her to ask who her favourite rap and hip hop artists are and her reply was simply this: 😂😂😂😂😂

And what about that 14yr old girl who has just caused a sensation on America's Got Talent - discovered Janis Joplin and James Brown on YouTube a couple of years ago and took them as her inspiration. Don't underestimate the power of YouTube as the means of young kids discovering - and falling in love with - "grandparents music". I've noticed more and more kids posting under Bowie clips on YT, comments like "OK I'm only 15, but this guy is seriously cool" etc etc.
Last edited by LuisKantor on 10:48 PM - Sep 21, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

10:47 PM - Sep 21, 2018 #13

Odysseus wrote:  . . . are grandparents music to most young folks.
So was Frank Sinatra to me when I was 12 and first heard Bowie but I still knew who Sinatra was! Rock n Roll may be dead to under 30s but to have never heard of DB shows a frightening lack of awareness of culture in general. Get out of the bubble people.
I agree  I knew  who Frank Sinatra, and Hank Williams was growing up because of the radio and TV.    New generation has no clue,  everything is  Spotify  and other streaming services that are brainwashing today's youth.      

Rock has largely disappeared from the modern music industry.

Drake Breaks Billboard Record Held By The Beatles for 54 Years

https://www.ebony.com/entertainment-cul ... r-54-years

Rap Has Officially Trumped Rock n' Roll As America's Most Popular Music Genre

https://www.1hood.org/blog/2017/7/20/ra ... usic-genre

Drake breaks The Beatles’ UK chart record

https://www.nme.com/news/music/drake-br ... rd-2294184

6:52 AM - Sep 22, 2018 #14

Wouldn’t this young guy have got a lot better experience of listening to Aladdin Sane for the first time on a lot better music system than that?

My kids think it’s ok to listen to music on a mono Bluetooth speaker which doesn’t have the power of a loud fart. Compressed digital music is inferior to lossless CD or vinyl I tell them, but at least listen to your shitty phone music via a decent music system with decent stereo speakers.

Cue blank looks?

Kids today eh! They are not really kids anymore but like the guy in this YouTube video are now young adults!

I fear for the future.

Having said all that he is bang on when he said at the end of his video that Aladdin Sane is a work of art. Indeed it is, the whole She bang, from cover art to the music. It’s brilliant that Bowie can still impress those like this young chap 45 years after an albums release. Now all this enlightened chap needs to do now is get it on a CD and crank it up on a decent system. It will blow his mind.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

10:11 AM - Sep 22, 2018 #15

If the music is good, it works on every sound system. Of course it's better on  a  good one, but pop/rock albums are mastered to work on every possible sound system.

I've started listening to music on this (Kraftwerk, Beatles mostly, at 10-11) and I loved  it. 

Then I moved to a bad boombox that had a tiny black and white TV built in. When I moved to a different city for high school, I used a walkman for music with those awful, brittle headphones. Of course I loved it when I could use my parents' record player, but that was rare.

10:26 AM - Sep 22, 2018 #16

Well yes I get what your saying but surely if your going to listen to music you want to listen to it on the best system possible don’t you? especially if your going to assess an album for the very first time for a YouTube video.

Aladdin Sane seriously impressed this young guy, imagine the effect it would have had on him had he first listened to it on a proper quality system cranked up.

I suppose you could argue he was going for a kind of authentic 70s sound. Humm.

My children ( I won’t  keep calling them kids ) still insist on listening  to music via seriously crap Bluetooth speakers even though they are allowed to use my system if they want.  Sorry that just doesn’t compute.

Why settle for cotton when you can have silk? If someone is going to listen to music then at least they should make the effort to listen to it on something that does it justice.

It’s a long time since I’ve seen a cassette player like that btw, it brings back happy memories of miss spent youth so it does 😀
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

1:41 PM - Sep 22, 2018 #17

Thanks for posting this - it is heart warming, I agree. Loved the fact that he picked up Garson was playing so independently. I remember hearing the album for the first time 3 months after its release when I got it for my 12th birthday. It brought back memories of my Yorkshire father being shocked (and confused)  about the cover and the inner gatefold sleeve. If he had heard the words to Time and Cracked actor I think he would have thrown it out of the house there and then (haha).

There is nothing better than a young Bowie fan going back into the full catalogue and appreciating it. 

5:07 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #18

I remember a kid like that, how the time do fly :-)

5:22 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #19

I bought AS when it first came out. My player was a HMV radiogram with a lift up lid with a radio and a slot to drop albums in. The thing was enormous!
I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star

6:54 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #20

I know what everyone's saying, but it's a strange world when the 'youth of today' like the same music as their grandparents, though, no?
Shouldn't kids this guy's age be wearing stupid clothes and sporting daft haircuts, while listening to incomprehensible music
that makes us auld gits think 'what the fuck is this shit?!'
I mean, if I'd liked music from the 1930s when I was a kid in the '70s, my grandad would've belted me round the earhole
and sent me out to buy a T-Rex single!

6:23 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #21

betty_turpin wrote: I bought AS when it first came out. My player was a HMV radiogram with a lift up lid with a radio and a slot to drop albums in. The thing was enormous!

Mine ( Well my mum & dads ) was a Ferguson I think, same design as yours though. It must have been a standard design for all radiograms in the 70s.

On the subject of this young guy liking old music instead of the crap the youth listen to today. Well I reckon he fell through a crack in the time line. Head sweat band, Pink Floyd T-shirt. denim  jeans, pretty much your standard stereo typical American rock loving 70s kid I’d say.

6:42 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #22

No, he's simply sought out - YouTube and the like help here - music when it was made with passion, rather than the distilled, way too marketed version too much of it is today.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

12:42 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #23

He's continuing his Bowie discovery with The Man Who Sold The World:

I love his enthusiasm  

1:19 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #24

Gabor_C wrote: I love his enthusiasm  
I love his T-shirt 😉

1:52 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #25

'Show my t-shirt! Show my t-shirt!'
It's all coming back to me now...

2:21 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #26

Larranaga wrote: 'Show my t-shirt! Show my t-shirt!'
It's all coming back to me now...

Talking of T-shirt’s, the coolest one you can buy is The ms Song Of Norway one.

I got one for my birthday along with the Historic Newspapers Bowie book and honestly it’s been the best T-shirt ever with regards to admiring looks and questions about it from curious people.

No one has clicked on about the Bowie connection yet, at least not to me when asking about it anyway, which makes this T really cool in my book. Although there was one girl who gave me a knowing look, so she probably knew. It’s great being in an exclusive club of those who do know what the Bowie connection is when a lot of people don’t know it would seem.

Bowie T-shirt’s can be kind of naff I must admit but I really love this one regardless.

6:10 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #27

I was totally taken aback and blown away by All the Madmen and After All as he was. I remember being breathless at how utterly strange and dreamlike and sad those two songs were. Except with me it was probably 76 when I first heard this album. My first was Diamond Dogs a few weeks earlier. As a 12 year old I thought I had heard God talking to me lol.

Cheers
Jx
"please trip them gently, they don't like to fall"

6:27 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #28

Shame his first listen isn’t through a decent stereo. He’s really not getting the full experience sonically.
I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star

7:34 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #29

Well, his listening experience will still be leaps and bounds ahead of brickwalled MP3 > youtube or streaming service > phone > cheap earplugs, which is the staple form of listening for many, sadly, and not just the young.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

8:44 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #30

My introduction to Bowie was mainly on casette copies (onto TDK D-90s) that the staff of the smaller record shops' staff would make for anyone who'd pay a small service charge here in Budapest back in the mid-nineties. 

And mostly I'd listen to them on a knock-off walkman. If I was lucky I could grab a second hand Jugoton pressing but that was rare. It took me years to get all the albums on CD or vinyl.

And I loved it. 

11:52 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #31

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote: Well, his listening experience will still be leaps and bounds ahead of brickwalled MP3 > youtube or streaming service > phone > cheap earplugs, which is the staple form of listening for many, sadly, and not just the young.

I’m not so sure actually. Whilst I agree with you with regards to listening on phones etc rather than something like a lossless CD, this young guys record player is only missing a wind up handle and a dog looking into its speaker. I think he would probably be better off listening via a steaming service on his phone tbh.