Glastonbury 2000 2CD/DVD

1:02 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #1

“Not only the greatest Glastonbury headline performance but the best headline slot at any festival ever” NME

All formats feature Life On Mars?, Changes, Let's Dance, Under Pressure, “Heroes”, Fame, China Girl, Ashes To Ashes, Ziggy Stardust, Rebel Rebel, Station To Station, Golden Years, Absolute Beginners and many more.

2nd October 2018 London: Parlophone Records in association with BBC Studios and Glastonbury Festivals Ltd. are proud to announce DAVID BOWIE ‘GLASTONBURY 2000’ on 2CD/DVD, 3LP, 2CD and standard and high resolution digital formats documenting Bowie’s legendary Sunday night headline performance on 25th June at the most famous festival on earth.

The package includes the full 21 song greatest hits set and for the first time, a DVD of the entire show (only 30 minutes of which has ever been broadcast on TV) including the Glastonbury performance of ‘Heroes’, a highlight of the record breaking ‘David Bowie Is…’ exhibition and the only track that has been previously released.

All formats feature David’s diary, originally written for Time Out, which documents him preparing for the show in his own inimitable manner: 

“As of 1990 I got through the rest of the 20th century without having to do a big hits show. Yes, yes, I know I did four or five hits on the later shows but I held out pretty well I thought…big, well known songs will litter the field at Glastonbury this year. Well, with a couple of quirks of course”.

In addition to newly mastered audio and upgraded video DAVID BOWIE ‘GLASTONBURY 2000’ features new artwork from Jonathan Barnbrook (who worked with Bowie on the sleeves for Heathen, The Next Day & ★) and notes from the renowned author and Bowie fan Caitlin Moran who reviewed the show for The Times.

The package features photos of Bowie resplendently dressed in a 3/4 length one-of-a-kind Alexander McQueen frock coat, the pattern of which was made to echo the hat (the famous ‘bipperty-bopperty hat’ mentioned in the song Queen Bitch) and worn by David at his Glastonbury Fayre debut in 1971.

Glastonbury co-organiser Emily Eavis commented “I often get asked what the best set I've seen here at Glastonbury is, and Bowie's 2000 performance is always one which I think of first. It was spellbinding; he had an absolutely enormous crowd transfixed. I think Bowie had a very deep relationship with Worthy Farm and he told some wonderful stories about his first time at the Festival in 1971, when he stayed at the farmhouse and performed at 6am as the sun was rising. And he just played the perfect headline set. It really was a very special and emotional show”.

Emily’s father Michael, the founder of the festival who first met David at Glastonbury in 1971 said “He’s one of the three greatest of all-time: Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley and David Bowie.”

DAVID BOWIE ‘GLASTONBURY 2000’ TRACKLISTING

Introduction (Greensleeves) 
Wild Is The Wind 
China Girl 
Changes 
Stay 
Life On Mars? 
Absolute Beginners 
Ashes To Ashes 
Rebel Rebel 
Little Wonder 
Golden Years 
Fame 
All The Young Dudes 
The Man Who Sold The World 
Station To Station 
Starman 
Hallo Spaceboy 
Under Pressure 
Ziggy Stardust 
“Heroes” 
Let’s Dance 
I'm Afraid Of Americans

DAVID BOWIE GLASTONBURY 2000 is released on Parlophone 30th November, 2018
https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2018/10 ... e-november

1:10 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #2

Quality. Right in time for Christmas. 

1:24 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #3

'Not only the greatest Glastonbury headline performance but the best headline slot at any festival ever' NME.
Oh, I didn't know edetley used to write for NME... 😉

1:27 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #4

They really do knock the product out don't they? 

1:27 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #5

I look very much forward to this release, it is a good concert, super release! 
I just really hope they they dont brickwall the hell out of it like they did with Stage, making it pretty much unlistenable, the original has so much more life and space in the sound. I think they did ok with Blackout, so lets hope that is the route they follow. 

1:30 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #6

Great news.

The hammer is already hovering over my piggy bank in anticipation, ready to break out my funds for this.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

1:59 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #7

the_starman wrote: They really do knock the product out don't they? 
Come on, Jon - this is mainly 1970-80 material: the only stuff you like!

2:06 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #8

I was wondering when they would get round to it. Preordered.

4:40 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #9

Dream come true. The DVD of this show has been on my wish list since he walked off the Pyramid Stage that night. Brilliant.
Jx

4:41 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #10

doctoroctopussy wrote: I was wondering when they would get round to it.
Maybe it’s part of Bowie’s instructions as to what could or couldn’t be released and when, after his death.

Assuming of course the rumours he left such instructions are true?
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

5:34 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #12

Great news - I'm hopeful that (just) maybe, this is the tiny trickle of what we all want on here....

6:01 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #13

Perfect timing, wouldn’t bet against db having thought it would be a good quick follow up to the 80s box which, be realistic kids, he must have reckoned wouldn’t get the reception the others would. But who knows, that’s what surprises from beyond the grave are all about. ;)

6:25 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #14

Markmywurdz wrote: Great news - I'm hopeful that (just) maybe, this is the tiny trickle of what we all want on here....
It’s certainly already been a good year if your a Bowie fan. WTTBO, soon to be officially released Serious Moonlight live recording (Hopefully to be released as a stand-alone? )  The Tin Machine His Masters Voice bootleg CD and Serious Moonlight 83 bootleg CD which are both very good, the Beside Bowie Mick Ronson DVD whilst not perfect is still good and worth having, and now this. I’m pretty pleased. Then of course we have the Serious Moonlight Tour book by Denis O’Regan to look forward to which will be released shortly, who’s photos were approved by Bowie himself.

NLMD 2018 despite my misgivings might / should be an improvement on the original, however various recordings only being available on vinyl and not CD is a bit of a disappointment for me personally but at least they have been released and are out there.

So yeah not bad.

I’m super excited about this though, as I suspect are we all.

6:59 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #15

Well we are getting some decent product now. I always thought this would be something that would be released on RSD.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

7:06 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #16

Moo, moo.....

8:08 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #17

ziggythecowboy wrote: Well we are getting some decent product now. I always thought this would be something that would be released on RSD.
Agreed. I’m excited by the release, but puzzled by the timing. Maybe they wanted a “greatest hits” release out as counter-programming to the 80s box?

Or maybe they can’t find a spot for Glastonbury 2000 in either the 90s or the 2000s boxes? But with this being an official release, shouldn’t it go in one of those boxes? (Unless it’s being treated as a “supplemental” disc similar to Cracked Actor or WTTBO).

If it’s a one-off released for the holidays, then maybe this is how they plan (along with RSD) to release concerts/albums that won’t fit in the remaining boxes. The 90s box has at least three tours to cover, (four if we count S+V), and the 2000s box already has Reality as a greatest hits tour...

8:48 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #18

Thylacine8 wrote: and the 2000s box already has Reality as a greatest hits tour...
Why can’t the 2000s box have two greatest hits live concert CDs / LPs in it?

11:36 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #19

When the time comes for the boxset containing Reality, I hope the Reality Tour is expanded to 3 discs to include all the tracks Bowie performed across the tour.  However, I'd also include this show in the box if there's a proper soundboard of it in better quality than Live Low:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bo ... ac827.html

12:08 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #20

NorseSwagger wrote: When the time comes for the boxset containing Reality, I hope the Reality Tour is expanded to 3 discs to include all the tracks Bowie performed across the tour.  However, I'd also include this show in the box if there's a proper soundboard of it in better quality than Live Low:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bo ... ac827.html
I’d definitely like to see an expanded Reailty Tour album. (Or just a third disc with highlights from acrosss the tour).

And I’d also like to see a Heathen concert in the 2000s box. A Low/Heathen presentation seems appropriate.

Because of the overlap between the Heathen and Reality Tour setlists with Glastonbury - I assumed Glastonbury would either be a 90s boxset or RSD release. It could get a little dull/repetitive.

I suppose it could slot into the 2000s box - but I’d much prefer to see an expanded BBC 2000 concert instead. That one has the Toy-era tracks, and it would sit well alongside the (hopefully included) Toy.

10:28 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #21

Thylacine8 wrote:
 The 90s box has at least three tours to cover, (four if we count S+V), and the 2000s box already has Reality as a greatest hits tour...
I reckon S+V will be a RSD release.

10:30 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #22

SHHWEEET! wrote:
NLMD 2018 despite my misgivings might / should be an improvement on the original, however various recordings only being available on vinyl and not CD is a bit of a disappointment for me personally but at least they have been released and are out there.
Hi-Res digital download sites (such as 7 Digital) permit you to cherrypick tracks from box sets, then you can either save them as files or burn them on to a CD-R if that's the way you prefer to listen to music.

11:01 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #23

Excellent!

4:07 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #24

Any news of who has mixed/produced this release?

Jx

"I hear the sound of mandolins"

5:26 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #25

cruelgarden wrote: Any news of who has mixed/produced this release?

Jx

"I hear the sound of mandolins"
Mario McNulty. But he's re-recorded all the instrumentation with Carlos Alomar, Carmine Rojas and Tony Thompson to give it more of a Serious Moonlight vibe. It's what db would have wanted, apparently.

5:54 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #26

Glad to see it released on cd :))

12:14 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #27

I just had a listen to my capture of the video I recorded off TV in 2000, I think using a dvd recorder I had at the time.

This is going to be a very good release indeed.

I wonder what other concert DVDs we might get? There are lots of great quality officially recorded shows from 1990 onwards that I would enjoy, and we know the two or three filmed in the 80s (which will be on the next box set).

If they really don't have that much they consider releasable on DVD from the 70s at this point, they will really need to consult with Nacho I reckon.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

3:45 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #28

I think as far as the timing is concerned, it would've looked a bit cynical to go straight for the Christmas market following Bowie's passing. They've now waited a 'respectful' amount of time as far as our social mores go. I'm happy that so many people here are delighted with this package. Personally, the greatest hits shows are not really my bag (that doesn't mean I'm complaining the starman). I'm hanging out for Loreley (Outside Tour), and The Orpheum (Earthling). The way things are going I don't think I'll be waiting long.

7:22 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #29

zorbathegeek wrote:  I'm hanging out for Loreley (Outside Tour), and The Orpheum (Earthling). The way things are going I don't think I'll be waiting long.
- and Paris, Berlin or Montreux 2002, and London Astoria 1999.

11:54 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #30

Wembley 95 and Toronto 97 too please.

(And maybe a studio recording of O Superman)

2:27 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #31

Thylacine8 wrote: Wembley 95 and Toronto 97 too please.

(And maybe a studio recording of O Superman)
Oh yes Wembley 95 thats the one for me the live version of Teenage wildlife that night was astonishing the song was dropped from his set far too soon

4:34 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #32

Yes. Teenage wildlife in incredible. I also love his Look Back In Anger from that concert.

5:21 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #33

Agreed, that Wembley '95 version of Teenage Wildlife was great - he looked and sounded like he meant it and actually looked like he was enjoying performing it,
not just cranking out the next thing on the set list. It really worked.

7:26 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #34

What are they classing enhanced video as?  Can't see 'em doing a frame by frame restoration from SD to HD or even Blu-Ray quality. However gotta be better than the Serious Moonlight or Glass Spider DVD Fuck ups!  And providing no twat has played around with the mix which were perfect on the SM & GS Videos but appalling on the DVD releases! 

1:07 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #35

I'll keep waiting for Glastonbury 1971 concert on multicolored vinyl by SOTSA label

4:27 PM - Oct 06, 2018 #36

Hmm, great release! Would be great if one could buy the video in a digital format for download. I don't need the physical discs.

9:56 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #37

borchgrevink wrote: Hmm, great release! Would be great if one could buy the video in a digital format for download. I don't need the physical discs.
Call me old fashioned but physical every time for me. It’s like the difference between having cyber sex and actual sex, one is the real deal the other isn’t.

10:02 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #38

SHHWEEET! wrote:
borchgrevink wrote: Hmm, great release! Would be great if one could buy the video in a digital format for download. I don't need the physical discs.
Call me old fashioned but physical every time for me. It’s like the difference between having cyber sex and actual sex, one is the real deal the other isn’t.
😂😂😂