Forget anniversary picture discs, what would you want on vinyl?

3:16 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #1

Yeah, I know, not *everyone* wants vinyl, but some do, for the listening experience, or for aesthetic reasons, or both.

I've gone on and on about a Space Oddity 50th anniversary release enough elsewhere (though, I doubt that'll be the last of that from me :)), however, if I was going to spend around a tenner on an official single, I'd want this.

A stereo Prettiest Star (1970 version) single - perhaps with the 1970 stereo version of London Bye Ta Ta on the b side, it was the planned original b side. In this cover -

Also a stereo Holy Holy 1970 version on single. And pushing the boat out / stretching the unlikelihood even further, but since Herbie (the bassist, not the Beetle car) was also involved in this song too from what I read, Oh You Pretty Things by Peter Noone in stereo. It might exist, after all his version of Right on Mother got a stereo release (on the German single edition of Walnut Whirl, and on a 2CD set too). In this cover, perhaps -

Last but not least, a decent pressing - I did buy an original of this, and surprisingly the Ryko LP (extra track) version sounded better - of The Memory of a Free Festival. Tony Visconti did say in his book it was technically one of their best recordings. In this cover would be nice -

That would get me buying these Parlophone singles...
Last edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land on 10:22 PM - Oct 01, 2018, edited 3 times in total.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

3:47 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #2

3:53 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #3

I'm not the only one who felt the early (1968) version of London Bye Ta Ta included on the Space Oddity 40th anniversary set could have sounded better.

I have bought one of the picture disc singles so far. I would happily buy an official re-release of this in a picture sleeve - London Bye Ta Ta / In The Heat of the Morning. They could just de-click the A side (London Bye Ta Ta) and put the lovely stereo version of In The Heat of the Morning as featured on The World of David Bowie on the B side, it would sound fantastic.

They might need to hurry though as the anniversary of this one runs out soon as the songs were recorded in 1968.😀

Last edited by Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land on 10:19 PM - Oct 01, 2018, edited 2 times in total.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

9:49 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #4

Right here's one that occured to me a while back...

We All Go Through, from 1999. Really good song, imo. Unlike the Hours album, it's not been released on vinyl, only on a brickwalled CD single.

So this is another candidate for vinyl release. In a picture cover, not the pin it on a wall picture disc variety, as I'd like to play it, and be reasonably sure it'll sound ok.

The tracks were -

1     Thursday's Child (Radio Edit)     4:25
2     We All Go Through     4:09
3     No One Calls     3:51

But it wouldn't be a bad idea to perhaps make it a double A with Thursday's Child, or a mini LP with non album tracks from Hours. To be honest We All Go Through is the B side from that era I rate most, so my hope is that they release it on vinyl in some form anyway - with whatever they (Parlophone I guess) think is best to accompany it.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

10:21 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #5

A mini LP with non album tracks from Hours would be fantastic!

I hope it would not be a brick walled picture disc because that would be awful!

10:27 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #6

It was the Cd singles in the Hours era that were brickwalled. And the Cd albums too.

Hence the demand for the vinyl reissues of Bowie albums from 1995-2003 while the vinyl revival was only just starting....

Vinyl - even picture discs - can't be brickwalled, only cd technology allows that bullshit to happen.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

10:37 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #7

I don't know nothing about this stuff, you are the expert 😃

What if you took the audio from a brick walled cd and cut a vinyl picture disc using that audio.

Would it be a brick walled picture disc then ?

10:53 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #8

Hmm, from what I understand vinyl cannot cope with a brickwalled source...so from what I've been told it wouldn't be possible to press that. Either that or it would sound so awful it wouldn't be pressed anyway.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

11:30 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #9

Ching a ling w tony hill vocals and Back to Where you've never been

6:21 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #10

MGOSCH wrote: Ching a ling w tony hill vocals and Back to Where you've never been
Good idea!
😀
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

11:01 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #11

A 5LP set: The Complete Elephant Man recordings. On grey vinyl.

11:23 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #12

I have had a bit of trouble with sizing this, but I think this would be a nice idea. :)

Dana G 2.jpg
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

11:44 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #13

And this one too. I've bought one of the picture discs released over the last year or so, so far.
there's been 10 or more?
As many have said they're best for pinning on the wall or perhaps making a mobile (in a large room).

I'd buy picture cover releases of each of the singles here, if they bothered to release them officially! Peter Noone.jpg
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
Glasto 71 too!

1:41 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #14

I'm Deranged / Look Back in Anger 7" splatter-colored vinyl, live performances recorded during the Outside tour.