Dylan Jones = yet another parasite?

Dylan Jones = yet another parasite?

19 Aug 2017, 10:11 #1

For someone who spoke so warmly during interviews after his (db) death and has always made it clear what a fan he is, surprised that he lowered he's standards and sold his soul.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rgies.html

Dylan Jones. Parasite? Time will tell, but seems he thinks not. Best not judge a book/man by its tabloid serialisation.
Last edited by nuclear_star on 21 Aug 2017, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

19 Aug 2017, 11:17 #2

It's a work of fiction and made up.

The culture of the 60s/70s and the groupie thing will have some people believing it. A musician I know who toured with Bowie said he mostly went to his room to read when others stayed up. He also used to ask for a tea when band mates would knock
back the booze.

He was no Roman Polanski by all accounts.

19 Aug 2017, 11:58 #3

I'm surprised at Jones ( Dylan ) that is , just a load of fabrication, and the dead don't answer back, he wouldn't have taken the chance when Bowie was alive, he would have sued his arse off!
Last edited by west406 on 19 Aug 2017, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

19 Aug 2017, 12:11 #4

He was one of the 2013 mob. Not a super fan.

19 Aug 2017, 12:28 #5

I'm never surprised at the antics of a hack.

19 Aug 2017, 12:36 #6

For someone who spoke so warmly during interviews after his (db) death and has always made it clear what a fan he is, surprised that he lowered he's standards and sold his soul.

Dylan Jones. Parasite? Time will tell, but seems he thinks not. Best not judge a book/man by its tabloid serialisation.
Don't blame Dylan Jones - blame the repugnant Daily Mail, a "newspaper" which is reported for transgressions of the Editors Code in respect of the "truth and accuracy" clause more often than every other national title put together.

I'd be surprised if the article bears much relationship to the Dylan Jones book - but I was not surprised to see Wendy Leigh's name crop up again in relation to dishing dirt on db.

The fact that the Mail hack who cooked up the story thinks Lindsay Kemp is female demonstrates the kind of attention to detail employed by the Mail.
Last edited by LuisKantor on 19 Aug 2017, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

19 Aug 2017, 12:47 #7

Disgusting that they gave away the iSelect compilation.

19 Aug 2017, 18:50 #8

Don't blame Dylan Jones - blame the repugnant Daily Mail, a "newspaper" which is reported for transgressions of the Editors Code in respect of the "truth and accuracy" clause more often than every other national title put together.

I'd be surprised if the article bears much relationship to the Dylan Jones book - but I was not surprised to see Wendy Leigh's name crop up again in relation to dishing dirt on db.

The fact that the Mail hack who cooked up the story thinks Lindsay Kemp is female demonstrates the kind of attention to detail employed by the Mail.
Dylan Jones responsed to my criticism of his book on his Instagram page. He told me that the headlines in the tabloids are not the same as what’s on the book, and the headlines are a misrepresentation of his book, as it’s not a gossip monger book. And responsed to someone else that he wasn’t paid or or has anything to do with the description of the contents of his books appearing in tabloids etc.

Interesting that Wendi Leigh died not long after Bowie, especially as she made unsubstantiated claims that he had 6 heart attacks etc.

19 Aug 2017, 19:41 #9

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... -interview

Ronnie Wood saying he had a stroke?

19 Aug 2017, 19:50 #10

Dylan Jones responsed to my criticism of his book on his Instagram page. He told me that the headlines in the tabloids are not the same as what’s on the book, and the headlines are a misrepresentation of his book, as it’s not a gossip monger book. And responsed to someone else that he wasn’t paid or or has anything to do with the description of the contents of his books appearing in tabloids etc.

Interesting that Wendi Leigh died not long after Bowie, especially as she made unsubstantiated claims that he had 6 heart attacks etc.
Another book!

Bowie's greatest gift may have been convincing others they had a book IN them ABOUT him.

Bowie is the Zelig of books. He is destined to become the subject of all books. Because no one can find him, everyone feels compelled to chronicle their own personal rendezvous with the fish that always gets away. He's already 300 feet long and growing. Like Moby Dick he has 100 broken harpoons trailing out of him. Mere grazings!

We know he was here because 1,000 books tell us so.

Last edited by pleasecomeaway on 19 Aug 2017, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

19 Aug 2017, 20:51 #11

"We know he was here because 1,000 books tell us so"

Not because we saw him in concert and bought his records then...?

The book thing is no different to The Beatles or Elvis, no need to create some Paul Morleyesque insight to explain the abundance of books.

20 Aug 2017, 05:25 #12

I understand he had eight heart attacks before he died, yes?

20 Aug 2017, 17:12 #13

I think Dylan Jones is mixed up or been fed duff information and is getting Bowie mixed up with Alice Cooper. Cooper had a song called 'I Love The Dead', so who are you more likely to offer a warm dead body to? Someone who's never even mentioned dead bodies before and whom you know very little about, or to a famous rock star who professes to love them?

Also in 1972, Bowie wasn't all that well known in the USA, it was the Spiders first tour, so I doubt he would have attracted that kind of offer anyway.

My money's on it being an apocryphal tale involving Cooper originally.

As for the groupies and the Nazi stuff, all that's been known about since the Gilmans book in 1985.

Mist.

20 Aug 2017, 17:54 #14

He says the Mail used the opportunity to dig out the sensationalist stories off the back of serialisation of his book. I guess we'll wait and see.

20 Aug 2017, 18:07 #15

Daily Fail is just the middle class version of the soarway Sun. Drivel.

20 Aug 2017, 20:38 #16

I think Mr. Bowie would have been happy to suppress the news of his death, had he been able.

He was lucky to be in a city full of medical technology: unless you have an immediately-fatal incident, they can treat a heart attack or stroke with good odds of a decent outcome.
"Schtum!"

06 Sep 2017, 10:03 #17

Dylan Jones will be on 6music today talking to Stuart Maconi about the Bowie biography.

07 Sep 2017, 06:46 #18

It's on the BBC iPlayer (6music Radcliffe and Maconi show) at 1hr 36m in approximately.

Have a listen

07 Sep 2017, 16:07 #19

Dylan comes across like a genuine Bowie fan, good interview and nothing scandalous divulged.

Link to interview .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093plvm

07 Sep 2017, 16:54 #20

I hope the only thing we learn isn't that Winifred Atwell owned a row of houses on Stansfield Road.

07 Sep 2017, 19:39 #21

I bought the Dylan Jones book.

In general from so far skimming through it , I would say it’s a brilliant book. I’m just disappointed that an online article by a lunatic journalist regards unsubstantiated claims of sex with a underage has been put in the book towards the end.

This is the article reprinted in the book.....

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/13/the_dar ... es_in_70s/

I don’t know why Dylan Jones thought the need to lift this internet article and put in his book.

07 Sep 2017, 23:03 #22

She says she was 15 years old but the age of consent in France is 15. In some other countries, it's even lower. In fact, Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin and it was legal.

So morally, what Bowie did can be viewed as wrong, but maybe he didn't do anything illegal. It depends on what the age of consent was in that state at the time.

Certainly, the episode shouldn't be buried and forgotten, it's part of his story, however much people dislike to hear it.

Mist.

08 Sep 2017, 07:46 #23

Some good bits in that interview. Correcting the oft repeated '1973' date of Starman on TOTP won me over straight away.

I did the same to Steve Saxophone at one of the first Holy Holy gig during his heartfelt intro speech. Cue staring daggers at me for the rest of the set.