Death of the album

Death of the album

November 24th, 2011, 4:02 am #1

Sorry if this has been discussed but I was listening to an interview with Kate Bush the other day in which she said record companies are actively encouraging artists to make tracks for download only. She believes the album as we know it will disappear shortly.

As Kate said, an album is a totally different experience to a single but figures are clearly showing album sales plummeting. When asked the question some kids didn't know what an album was.

It's depressing....
Last edited by jungde4man on November 24th, 2011, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 24th, 2011, 4:54 am #2

Whenever I go in a record shop the customers are generally over 40s (unless it's in the video games area).

I suppose this was inevitable. It should actually have happened years ago if the record companies hadn't been so resistant to change. I still think there'll be a place for the CD or LP, at least while generations who remember them survive.

November 24th, 2011, 9:03 am #3

I've noticed that with HMV, the CD have been thrown up stairs and the DVDs and Blu-Rays take Precedence. Kids these days would rather be entertained visually with games or videos. Or no attention span for a whole album. Well lets not generalise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 24th, 2011, 9:30 am #4

good thing. Maybe all the dross will get swept onto downloads (hate download albums, only ever bought one - Harold Budd because no CD was available. He never repeated it again) and serious artists will still release some form of 'real' album. Much the same way that vinyl has gone? Rough Trade in London is a good example of getting it right - I always see kids and middle aged types (like moi) co-existing in harmony! The CD is dead, long live the CD . . .

November 24th, 2011, 10:38 am #5

It will take a few years to settle down, but I like to think of it as a return to the early days of record shops where people would buy only the discs they liked and keep them in folders - albums, if you will - of course eventually leading to the makings of actual albums as we know it. The record industry never saw it coming (in fairness, niether did I) and needs a quite thorough reimagining.

November 24th, 2011, 10:53 am #6

I read an article recently (I can't remember where) was saying that in the history of music, it's only been a blimp in time where we have had to pay for music.

Anyway though recorded music is taking a bashing. Live music is probably at the healthiest it's been for a long time. Record companies like that too because no recording even a boot can really replicate the live music experience.

November 24th, 2011, 11:40 am #7

HMV are launching a film on demand channel. Just sayin'.

-----------------------------------------------

November 24th, 2011, 11:50 am #8

Everything stored on flash...i don't think so. The CD album will live on no matter what all this fuss says.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Memories seen are all dark in the past"

November 24th, 2011, 12:26 pm #9

Personally,l want an actual physical product for my money Then people can see my collection on display and know Lee has impeccable taste.
(The Barry Manilow cds I keep hidden away).

November 24th, 2011, 12:38 pm #10

Ever had anyone look through your collection and pull one out with an accusatory "what's this?"

November 24th, 2011, 12:51 pm #11

The CD won't last.

November 24th, 2011, 1:03 pm #12

The majors have plans to phase it out soon.

The DVD will replace it for a while I think. Bigger storage, lyrics and photos to look at, etc. They could have fit the whole STS package on one disc.

November 24th, 2011, 1:07 pm #13

Ever had anyone look through your collection and pull one out with an accusatory "what's this?"

Personally,l want an actual physical product for my money Then people can see my collection on display and know Lee has impeccable taste.
(The Barry Manilow cds I keep hidden away).

I'm exactly the same Lee! I get a lot of joy just looking at the artwork and reading the booklets. . . Downloads suck . . .

November 24th, 2011, 1:13 pm #14

I agree, but the next few generations of kids just use MP3, and measure size by GBs rather than square foot. If they want picture of justin beiber or gaga they go online for them. I never thought I'd see the back of cassettes! CD is a clumsy format - I'm getting rid of all mine slowly, much prefering to hang onto vinyl which has never been my format of choice.

November 24th, 2011, 2:32 pm #15

"Downloads suck . . . "

I hate downloads grrrr!

A typical download on iTunes is about £7.99 per album. You can buy the real physical item for £8.99!!!

CD for me everytime.

</b>

November 24th, 2011, 2:35 pm #16

I don't mind downloads. The Pirate Bay's been a good friend to me over the years!

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

November 24th, 2011, 2:36 pm #17

I don't suppose anyones going to complain about free downloads

</b>

November 24th, 2011, 2:55 pm #18

Bloody free downloads!

November 24th, 2011, 3:00 pm #19

I download most albums. I have bought a cds online. But the last time i set foot in a record shop was in 2009 just before the last indie record shop near me closed. I used to get all my cds from the independent music stores. I refuse to buy music from Wal Mart or some other big box hell hole. Last time i was in a Wal Mart the cd department didn't even have a David Bowie section!!!!

McCartney, Rolling Stones and other artists have signed deals where you can only purchase the album in either a Starbucks,Best Buy or Wal Mart or some other corporate chian I will download the albums for free if artists are going to start dictating where you can buy their music.

November 24th, 2011, 3:58 pm #20

The trend seems to be going both ways: while more and more people download their music, at the same time a vinyl revival is going on.

That said, downloading is dead cheap for the record companies - the only expenses are rights, publicity and server space. None of that expensive manufacturing. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

Ah! Mr. Waite, the world of Magic is a mirror, wherein who sees muck is muck.
Aleister Crowley
"Schtum!"

November 24th, 2011, 4:26 pm #21

it has come full circle. it used to be the single with some sham flipside. very few albums work for me. i skip...but then there's bowie. (the only db tracks i tend to skip are the singles oddly enough).

----------------------------

orange blossom seen at dawn is bright,
Yet at dusk it holds the first of night.

November 24th, 2011, 7:39 pm #22

Sorry if this has been discussed but I was listening to an interview with Kate Bush the other day in which she said record companies are actively encouraging artists to make tracks for download only. She believes the album as we know it will disappear shortly.

As Kate said, an album is a totally different experience to a single but figures are clearly showing album sales plummeting. When asked the question some kids didn't know what an album was.

It's depressing....
iTunes is my fav record shop.
I can buy a full album or a single song, a film and all I want from my home.

November 24th, 2011, 7:43 pm #23

and when I want!

November 24th, 2011, 7:48 pm #24

iTunes Store is always open!

November 24th, 2011, 7:55 pm #25

Bloody free downloads!
mmmhhh... and the copyright????

November 24th, 2011, 10:03 pm #26

iTunes Store is always open!

The article wasn't about formats. It was along the lines of record companies pushing artists towards songs that would have immediate appeal and being made available for download. Albums would basically become greatest hits collections. The point Kate bush was making was record companies are taking the album mentality away from new artists. The time and finance simply won't be there to allow artists to create the next Low. And remember it's not most of us they are focussing on. Many kids now have never bought an album. What u don't know u don't miss.

November 24th, 2011, 11:11 pm #27

So instead of bringing out an album a year,artist's will be pushed to release single tracks on a more frequent basis?
I can't see it.I would think credible (whatever that may mean) artists will continue to make albums,whether cd or download only.
The problem is,as Joe Strummer said,that the record companies can dictate to the newly signed.

November 24th, 2011, 11:13 pm #28

It seems that most mainstream pop artists release a single every other week as it is, and the album sells considerably less usually. For them, I can see it happening, but for everyone else I can't see the album dying off anytime soon.

November 24th, 2011, 11:16 pm #29

The article wasn't about formats. It was along the lines of record companies pushing artists towards songs that would have immediate appeal and being made available for download. Albums would basically become greatest hits collections. The point Kate bush was making was record companies are taking the album mentality away from new artists. The time and finance simply won't be there to allow artists to create the next Low. And remember it's not most of us they are focussing on. Many kids now have never bought an album. What u don't know u don't miss.
I love CDs. I don't own any vinyl but I'd like some. They're hard to find though :/

You can't hold a download, you can't hold an MP3. You can't admire it on a shelf. You can't flip through a pretty little booklet. You can't take care of it, cherish it, worry about getting it scratched. You can't get a rare version of it, it can easily be copied. It doesn't take up space in a room.

Everything is being turned into a digital format. Everything is being stored on a computer. Music, books, movies. These kind of things give a room character. When you walk into someone's room you can see they're interests, the things they love on a shelf. My guess is that in about 50 years, kid's bedrooms around the world will be empty with nothing but a bed, a computer, and some clothes.

November 24th, 2011, 11:25 pm #30

I've only got CD's/Vinyls of my most favorite bands/artists, the rest I download, everything gets put onto my PC anyway. But it's nice to have a physical object, album notes etc.

Last edited by shane140 on November 24th, 2011, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 25th, 2011, 9:46 pm #31

The digital download is the future.
I have a lot of vinyls and cds but now I'm buying all my music on iTunes, the most important albums have the digital booklet too.
All my downloads are saved on a cd not on my harddisc.

November 25th, 2011, 9:57 pm #32

Now we are not forced to buy a full album, we can select our favorite tracks!

November 25th, 2011, 10:09 pm #33

The record companies are toast with no power and no idea

They're on run-off. It will last a good few years.

New bands need viral exposure thru social media sites and then a promoter when they tour. Google will move into licensed downloads - or someone with the server power.

I dunno - fvk it. Pick up your instrument and set up a webcam

Maybe try an oblique strategy.........