David Byrne Covers Rehearsed During the Earthling Tour

David Byrne Covers Rehearsed During the Earthling Tour

April 25th, 2018, 4:15 pm #1

Last weekend I finally got a chance to see 'David Bowie Is...' at the Brooklyn Museum, and I noticed something really surprising (at least to me)

So anyways, in the rear of the exhibition - where they play live videos from various tours, and there are set lists & rehearsal notes for live shows - there was a document listing the songs rehearsed for the Earthling Tour, and I didn't realize how many were planned but never played out:

From what I recall (they don't allow photographs) the list included - 
  • "Secret Life Of... Once in a Lifetime" <- I'm almost positive it was written like this, I jotted it down as soon as we left the exhibition
  • Sister Midnight + "Houses in Motion + "Big Industry" <- I'm assuming they meant "Big Business" as I don't think there's a song called "Big Industry" 
So - does anyone know how these would have sounded like? It's the first time I've ever seen them mentioned. 

The list also included "We Prick You" - but I'd assume it just was the same version as from the the Outside Festival Tour

April 25th, 2018, 4:27 pm #2

I saw that too - pretty cool (:

Although I thought "Big Industry" was "Big Industrial," and that maybe it was a yet unnamed "industrial" song.

Lots of little bits and bobs in the show.

April 26th, 2018, 11:12 pm #3

Erm, to be fair, only Big Business was written solely by David Byrne - the other two were written by and performed by Talking Heads. They successfully sued over wrong writing credits on the Remain in Light album.

April 27th, 2018, 2:28 pm #4

Yea, but then the title of this thread would've been too long (if I had included "Talking Heads / David Byrne")

I tweeted Reeves, and asked... but no reply

April 27th, 2018, 4:40 pm #5

BiroTheLeggy wrote: Yea, but then the title of this thread would've been too long (if I had included "Talking Heads / David Byrne")

I tweeted Reeves, and asked... but no reply
Talking Heads then - 2 of the 3 songs were Talking Heads songs :)

Sorry if I'm being pernickety but like I say the band felt put out by the 'Byrne/Eno' credit on Remain in Light, hence successfully challenging it legally.

April 27th, 2018, 9:01 pm #6

no, I get it - and it's also why they didn't really do anything with Eno after 'Remain in Light' 

but - going back to the tracks, I'm a bit curious as to how they would've actually been performed... 

Like were these simply medley's, or was it like... They'd play "Secret Life of Arabia" with the lyrics of "Once in a Lifetime" on top (or vice-versa)

April 28th, 2018, 12:25 am #7

He was fond of mash-ups so I guess they would be along those lines. Maybe a chorus/verse mash.

Or not.I don't know.