David Bowie- "The Pride Of Britain"

David Bowie- "The Pride Of Britain"

January 25th, 2012, 10:23 am #1

Hi. I am reminded of the Earthling cover. Bowie, wearing a tattered, war torn British flag. What is Bowie saying?

Bowie is saying he fought for his country, he fought and feels proud of what he's done for Britain. What do I mean?

Think of it. What was Bowie born with? Nothing. He was born with a name: David Jones. Nothing could be more anonymous. More nondescript. He might as well have been John Doe.

Everything Bowie achieved he had to fight for. He was born with nothing. No silver spoon in his mouth. Just a punch in the eye and welcome to the world. Bowie started with nothing and through his own battle, struggles and efforts, he rose to the top of the world's artistic cream. He is recognized as probably the most influential artist of the century.

Bowie did well for his country. Britain should be proud of its son. He was just David Jones born in Brixton. Like a determined boxer he fought his way out of obscurity.

January 25th, 2012, 10:26 am #2

When I look at the cover of the Earthling album, it is clear Bowie is declaring war. Wearing a tattered, burned, Union Jack that has survived many a battle, and with titles like, "I'm Afraid Of Americans," it is clear Bowie is pro Britain and anti-American.

In the song, I'm Afraid Of Americans, Bowie mocks the dim-witted, God fearing, American Johnny. Will Johnny shoot him in the back the way Chapman did Lennon?

Well Bowie has drawn first blood and I'm firing right back. What about Bowie? A chain-smoking, coke sniffing brute animal who could not turn away anything that came his way. The Spiders were so appalled they turned to Scientology.

Bowie did not need to fear Americans. He didn't need enemies. He had the disco king in his heart all along.

January 25th, 2012, 10:31 am #3

I think he's pondering the demise of Britain. That's why he's looking out over 'Englands green and pleasant land' whilst wearing a tattered Union flag coat. Then there's 'Battle For Britain', it's Bowie coming to terms with the fact that the land of his birth is fucked. 'Don't you let my letter get you down....'

It's all symbolic, at least that's my take on it.

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

January 25th, 2012, 10:34 am #4

What Michael said.

</b>

January 25th, 2012, 10:45 am #5

Fancy sending me an email, Ant?

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

January 25th, 2012, 12:11 pm #6

(my reply was sams own words from last month)

January 25th, 2012, 3:09 pm #7

Fancy sending me an email, Ant?

Mist.

I'll be in touch Michael

</b>

January 25th, 2012, 3:18 pm #8

Good. It could be in your interest!

Mist.

January 25th, 2012, 5:43 pm #9

It seems to me Bowie might be speaking about cultural alienation on a global scale. "Earthling" as an album, concerns itself with many different types of cultural clashes, aspects of loneliness, and fear of the uncertain. Through this lens, he could be saying that humans, the "Earthlings," are like aliens on their own planet. Perhaps he feels the same way about his home country?

January 25th, 2012, 7:35 pm #10

Well said!

-----------
Claude
http://www.myspace.com/claudio2011

January 27th, 2012, 11:16 pm #11

Bowie is an icon ....the greatest Brit!