David Bowie: Stardust - PBS America doc on UK TV

August 17th, 2018, 12:52 am #1

The PBS AMERICA documentary DAVID BOWIE: STARDUST gets its U.K. premiere on Wednesday 22nd August at 21.00 GMT.

You can catch the PBS America documentary on these TV stations: Freeview (94), Sky (160), Virgin Media (276) and Freesat (155).

Check out the trailer...

More details on BW News Page

August 17th, 2018, 6:12 am #2

Do we get to see it here?
"Schtum!"

August 17th, 2018, 1:52 pm #3

Looks like will be available on Amazon & the PBS Channel too Em, not exclusive to the UK Check Channel listings!

August 18th, 2018, 10:14 am #4

I fear the worst for this after seeing it features one of the usual suspects in these type of things, Paul Gambaccini.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

August 18th, 2018, 5:45 pm #5

Usually Paul Gambaccini.or whistling Bob Harris. Or worse! Both!

August 19th, 2018, 7:13 am #6

nightflights wrote: Usually Paul Gambaccini.or whistling Bob Harris. Or worse! Both!
Or that bloke from Spandu Ballet.

They could have got Whistling Bob Harris to do the whistling part on the title track on 2018 NLMD, in a sort of jazzed up country and western style.

That would have fitted in with the different but familiar ethos.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

August 22nd, 2018, 11:37 pm #7

Shown on UK tv last night.

ZZZZzzzzzzz

Move along people! Nothing much to see here

August 23rd, 2018, 12:05 pm #8

I used to go out with this Australian girl and when she first heard Bob Harris, she thought it was a pisstake like Smashy and Nicey!   

August 23rd, 2018, 3:19 pm #9

Larranaga wrote: I used to go out with this Australian girl and when she first heard Bob Harris, she thought it was a pisstake like Smashy and Nicey!   
Perhaps the Beeb should rename BBC Radio 2, Smashy & Nicey FM

August 23rd, 2018, 10:10 pm #10

The doc was the DV The Man Who Stole The World albeit with an American redoing the commentary

August 24th, 2018, 8:12 am #11

paulkinder wrote: The doc was the DV The Man Who Stole The World albeit with an American redoing the commentary
I haven’t seen that actual one, however take most of the David Bowie documentaries that have been released onto DVD before, at least the ones I’ve seen, and they are all pretty much identical saying exactly the same things, featuring the same people getting interviewed, and by the same old long in the tooth suspects doing the actual interviewing.

I think these standardised documentaries which generally overview Bowie’s life and music career and which are obviously aimed at the general music fan, have well and truly run their course. Seen one seen them all, and there are certainly plenty of them out there, all roughly the same format saying the same things for a general music fan to choose from.

What’s needed is much more in-depth documentaries about Bowie that deals with specific events within his life, specific albums or tours, and the nitty and gritty of making them and performing them, or whatever. Documentaries along the lines of the format of Cracked Actor maybe? but obviously not now being able to follow the main man around doing whatever he did because he is now obviously dead, but that sort of thing.

I’m other words something that’s actually interesting to Bowie fans, can give Bowie fans a helpful insight into whatever, and maybe even result in creating an interesting debate. Anything but the rubbish I watched once again the other night.

I confess I never reached the end but actually fell asleep about 15 mins from the end of it.

Come on Bowie documentary makers, show some interesting creative imagination will you! Surely you have it in you to do so much better?

August 24th, 2018, 12:16 pm #12

Agreed, Shhweeet. I only ever bought one of those dvd documentaries and that was only because the 1980 Floor Show was on the end of it
(and it turned out to be all sepia-toned and looked worse than my 10th-gen VHS from 1990!).
A couple that were a bit different were Beside Bowie, which turned out to be less of a Ronson documentary and more of a Bowie documentary that gave Mick his due,
and that Bowie's Millions thing way back in the 00s, which looked at a different aspect of things.
But you're right - by this point, the majority of them are the same old repeating the same old. 
Even Visconti recently told an interviewer that 'I'm not sure what more I can say about him (Bowie) that you don't already know.'

August 24th, 2018, 3:24 pm #13

The Beside Bowie one was one of the better ones. As you say it did concentrate more on Bowie which was a shame because it was meant to be about Mick as the main topic.

I suppose it was inevitable that Bowie would dominate this documentary but not really acceptable in the greater scheme of things.

It was a reality check listening to how weak Bowie sounded on it. It made you realise how ill he actually was.

August 24th, 2018, 3:40 pm #14

Yes, it was quite sobering to hear how frail Bowie sounded and see how ill Ronno looked.

August 24th, 2018, 6:02 pm #15

This documentary did nothing for me, it felt rushed and offered absolutely nothing new. I think we have been spoilt by the recent BBC documentaries. 

August 25th, 2018, 8:59 am #16

Strange really, how such documentaries reveal more about the watcher than the watched.  
While it can be passed-off as simply a human thing to want to "know", it is far more interesting to understand why we want to know.
The accumulation of Knowledge about a person like Bowie or any other "star" serves what purpose exactly?
I am not knocking it, I just find it fascinating.  
David Buckley in his book Strange Fascination, included a brilliant section on fan psychology, which for me was one of the books most enlightening facts.  I found the whole book brilliant to be honest, and David's voice (Buckley's) to be the written equivalent of 
an Italian woman speaking English.  Well, maybe not quite, but suffice it to say, it was very readable and the only book I have found to be less effective in sending me to sleep, than a couple of spoons of Nightnurse.  That section though, was truly the stand-out (for me). 
Ultimately, unless you plan to make a doc of your own or write a book, the accumulation of as much "knowledge" about "stars/celeb's" etc... is really all about knowing yourself. 

Off to cower behind the sitee.  

August 25th, 2018, 9:33 am #17

what did we get from this ...........there is sound film of Aylesbury concert and there was never a world tour 2003/04 but apart from that seen it all before.

August 25th, 2018, 1:56 pm #18

Why do you come to this site on a regular basis then  bianniottonaim?

I take it you want to know everything about Bowie just like the rest of us, his music, his life, his interests, etc. What does it say about you?

You seem to be in an advantageous position over the rest of us with regards to being able to tell us about ourselves and what makes us tick by letting us know what you’ve found out about yourself via your self analysis theory.  

This should be interesting.

September 2nd, 2018, 10:43 am #19

SHHWEEET! wrote: You seem to be in an advantageous position over the rest of us with regards to being able to tell us about ourselves and what makes us tick by letting us know what you’ve found out about yourself via your self analysis theory.  

This should be interesting.
What! No response?

Shame☹️

September 2nd, 2018, 1:00 pm #20

I merely fine human behavior fascinating.  Why does anybody desire to know everything there is to know about an insignificant other?  While Bowie may seem to have had a significant influence over our lives, what really influences us is our perception of what we choose to believe.   David was always happy to let people believe whatever they want, and face it most people always will.  Your Bowie, mine and everybody else's, is probably very different.  

September 2nd, 2018, 6:52 pm #21

bianniottonaim wrote: I merely fine human behavior fascinating.  Why does anybody desire to know everything there is to know about an insignificant other?  While Bowie may seem to have had a significant influence over our lives, what really influences us is our perception of what we choose to believe.   David was always happy to let people believe whatever they want, and face it most people always will.  Your Bowie, mine and everybody else's, is probably very different.  
Bowie was hardly insignificant though was he. Wasn’t he generally regarded as one of the most influential singers / talents of recent times, as such it’s a natural human trait to want to know all about who he was and his talent, etc. That doesn’t say anything about us except we are all normal human beings with a normal human beings natural curiosity.

Your obviously a college type who sees something complex in every aspect of normal everyday human life when in reality there is nothing really complex about normal everyday  human life at all.

Like I said earlier, if you believe what you have just written then why do you come here to this site which is dedicated solely to David Bowie, and what does that say about YOU?