"David Bowie's dead! Get over it!"

"David Bowie's dead! Get over it!"

May 1st, 2017, 2:59 am #1

https://thecomplexityproject.wordpress. ... t-over-it/

I found myself watching an enthralling music debate unfold earlier today regarding Bowie fans who still mourn Bowie's death on a daily basis. There were some truly constructive thoughts put forward for both sides of the argument so I felt inspired to write about it in my blog.

May 1st, 2017, 3:39 am #2

I can see both sides too but you can't tell someone how to feel. I'm over it but if someone isn't that's their choice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

May 1st, 2017, 6:18 am #3

I wonder if the mawkish, self-serving public emoting that some engaged in after the death of David Bowie was just a symptom of the infantalized, narcissistic culture that seems to have grown up around us. Frankly, anyone who claims to have felt the loss of a public figure above that of their own loved ones is either a foolish drama queen or needs some professional help.

jon
Last edited by the_starman on May 1st, 2017, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2017, 6:30 am #4

maybe, a little bit of us died too

May 1st, 2017, 6:53 am #5

poor you, little snowflake

May 1st, 2017, 6:54 am #6

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

May 1st, 2017, 7:13 am #7

are you Bill or Ted?

May 1st, 2017, 7:29 am #8

I wonder if the mawkish, self-serving public emoting that some engaged in after the death of David Bowie was just a symptom of the infantalized, narcissistic culture that seems to have grown up around us. Frankly, anyone who claims to have felt the loss of a public figure above that of their own loved ones is either a foolish drama queen or needs some professional help.

jon
" Frankly, anyone who claims to have felt the loss of a public figure above that of their own loved ones is either a foolish drama queen or needs some professional help. "

Who says that they do?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1st, 2017, 7:31 am #9

'...it did get me thinking as to why so many people mourn the loss of the 20th Centuries most influential artist more than they have their own parents and loved ones.'

'So why do so many of his fans still miss him like they miss a loved family member?'

it was an isssue and question that the original poster's blog poses. Do keep up.

Last edited by the_starman on May 1st, 2017, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2017, 7:59 am #10

Like politics sexuality humour emotional states get YOU. I think people who are emotionally drifting are sad about everything really.

I never felt a thing when Elvis died or Diana or Bowie. I didn't know any of them on a personal level so how could I feel anything? I refuse to pretend to be sad.

May 1st, 2017, 8:52 am #11

I mourned the passing of my childhood when he died.

May 1st, 2017, 8:54 am #12

That's a long childhood eh!

May 1st, 2017, 6:23 pm #13

jon
Actually Jon, when my grandparents died both of them were suffering from Alzheimers (my grandma) and dementia (my grandfather) for years, in the case of my grandma - for more than a decade. They were both over 90 and spent their last months in hospitals. Both of them lived full and eventful lives, with heartache and happiness. When they have died I was glad that they didn't suffer anymore. I did not cry, my family was reminiscing, not really mourning at their funeral.

When Bowie died it hit me hard, I cried a lot that week, it made me face my mortality due to the circumstances of his death and I had to realized that I'm not young anymore at 38.

That said I got over it in a few weeks.

But, Jon, things affect people differently - a little empathy goes a long way.

May 1st, 2017, 7:47 pm #14

I learned he died about 6 hours after I had seen Lazarus -- that night on Jan 10, I was SO happy that he was back amongst us, to bring joy, elation, fun with his words and music. And then the play, and I thought, wow, what else has he got up his sleeve? ... And then, nothing. I am an early fan, and DB was into a lot of the same scenes over the years I am/was, from soul to avant-garde and obscure worldbeat. It was always such a neat surprise to learn what he had just discovered. So yeah, there's a real sense of loss, mostly of that connection.

May 2nd, 2017, 2:47 am #15

I found myself watching an enthralling music debate unfold earlier today regarding Bowie fans who still mourn Bowie's death on a daily basis. There were some truly constructive thoughts put forward for both sides of the argument so I felt inspired to write about it in my blog.
I had an interesting response with regards to seattle radio station kexp which celebrated the life of Bowie from the 8th to the 10th of january this year

I was a little bit 'over it', the man has "gone off into the distance", and i can play his records anytime i want

The same deal with Prince, which was only a couple of weeks ago

May 2nd, 2017, 5:36 am #16

Sorry.
Can't.
"Schtum!"

May 2nd, 2017, 6:23 am #17

Here's a great way to look at it!

Last edited by ziggythecowboy on May 2nd, 2017, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2017, 4:40 pm #18

Why? Simon Pegg is a prick.

May 2nd, 2017, 5:04 pm #19

...and also it's secondhand

May 2nd, 2017, 5:34 pm #20

of course it is ena - and that's sort of fitting really given the vicarious nature of these saps' manufactured 'grief'.

May 2nd, 2017, 5:56 pm #21

Ive moved on mostly but still get little pangs of sadness. I try to remember that everyone dies, its a very ordinary thing, but not nearly as many people live. Bowie was among them and it's that wonderful life and what he did with it that I never want to get over.

May 2nd, 2017, 6:58 pm #22

of course it is ena - and that's sort of fitting really given the vicarious nature of these saps' manufactured 'grief'.
Catness will not be deturd from throwing shade.
Let them eat cake!
Last edited by whidbeyisland on May 2nd, 2017, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2017, 7:40 pm #23

poor little snowflake Nemo.... awwwwww you ok, hun?

May 2nd, 2017, 7:42 pm #24

Ive moved on mostly but still get little pangs of sadness. I try to remember that everyone dies, its a very ordinary thing, but not nearly as many people live. Bowie was among them and it's that wonderful life and what he did with it that I never want to get over.
"Why? Simon Pegg is a prick."

Just as well we never asked you for your opinion.

Anyway, it doesn't matter who said it, it's what he said I like.

May 2nd, 2017, 7:53 pm #25

the internet meme. The 21st century Hallmark card. I can't think of anything to say myself, so I'll simply repeat something someone famous said.

The intellectual equivalent of petrol station flowers 'Honey, I haven't put an ounce of thought into this'.

May 2nd, 2017, 7:55 pm #26

poor little snowflake Nemo.... awwwwww you ok, hun?
Thank you for your concern Jon.
I'm sure it's as sincere as anything out of Donald Trump's maw.
🕶❄️💩

May 2nd, 2017, 8:15 pm #27

the internet meme. The 21st century Hallmark card. I can't think of anything to say myself, so I'll simply repeat something someone famous said.

The intellectual equivalent of petrol station flowers 'Honey, I haven't put an ounce of thought into this'.

I will give Jon credit for demanding original thought beyond Melania Trump's speech to the RNC.
The plagiarism plague, peeps can't be bothered with footnotes.
Last edited by whidbeyisland on May 2nd, 2017, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2017, 9:13 pm #28

It's no different than quoting what someone said, regardless of the fame. It offers a different way of looking at things. It's not like I typed it in and said I that I came up with this. People have been quoting people for eons.

Anyway, moving on.

May 2nd, 2017, 9:27 pm #29

"I can't think of anything to say myself, so I'll simply repeat something someone famous said"

I can't think of anything to say myself so I'll just sneer and bully and judge and revel in sarcasm. You are, pathetic.

May 3rd, 2017, 8:29 am #30

Tintoy

I have been thinking of things to say. Quite a lot. You just don't agree with me. I was, actually, responding to the original poster's thoughts, as set out in his blog. It's an interesting read. If you read it, you may connect the dots.

To call me pathetic is just to make a silly personal jibe. Is there any need for that?

Jon

May 3rd, 2017, 8:36 am #31

Jon,

I don't think you got over Bowie's death if these matters bring such intensive feelings out of you.

May 4th, 2017, 7:16 pm #32

Jon the 80s stuff is truly something to mourn...I managed to get over that....

May 4th, 2017, 9:33 pm #33

Jon,

I don't think you got over Bowie's death if these matters bring such intensive feelings out of you.
G...Jon has now out-surpassed chuck norris and is currently getting a fortune for sellling coors light

May 13th, 2017, 5:38 am #34

Jon is a bit of keyboard warrior.

He's the type who run away at the first hit of trouble or ignore someone in difficulty.

Me, I just think he's a prick.

May 13th, 2017, 8:58 am #35

I don't suppose you see the irony of calling someone you don't know a keyboard warrior, go on to make character judgement and round off with a personal insult?

To be clear: I was responding to the OP's blog in the spirit of discussion. I am sorry I said something you don't agree with. In future, I will tell the world to ensure you aren't exposed to other points of view. I know it can be unsettling.

Jon

May 13th, 2017, 12:58 pm #36

Is this the big family bust up at the wake?

May 13th, 2017, 2:27 pm #37

Jon is like your angry, drunk uncle who runs outside and yells at clouds.

May 14th, 2017, 4:06 pm #38

With Diana I wasn't interested at all because she was rammed down our throats for her length of talentless time Bowie was entirely different a real talent who I thought pretty much invented the way to have style and class in a talentless world