David Bowie Is And Then Some

June 23rd, 2018, 12:37 pm #1

My sister and I spent FIVE HOURS in the exhibit the day before yesterday and I’m a bigger fan than when we went in.
It’s a funny thing about fandom - usually there’s a point of disillusionment - you discover your idol’s limitations and that’s it.
Mr. Bowie seems to have had fewer limitations than any artist since Picasso - and Picasso coasted since the Fifties. Mr. Bowie may have gone up a couple of dead ends, but he didn’t coast.
Anyway, spending a day inside my idol’s head was a privilege worth the journey.
Go if you can. It all goes back in the vaults in three weeks.
"Schtum!"

June 24th, 2018, 4:20 pm #2

Funnily enough I'm in NYC this week and got a ticket to see it - is there any vinyl left for sale? I still fancy that Berlin 78 EP.

Jon

June 24th, 2018, 10:00 pm #3

I didn’t look - you might get lucky. For three bills you can have the doorstop book of the show, which has a white cover instead of the original orange.
"Schtum!"

June 25th, 2018, 6:28 am #4

It was a pretty wild show. There were some mysteries solved, and a few new ones introduced.

It was news to me that Bowie wanted to make a Young Americans film - and that film was to involve Major Tom! All those flight jacket photos seem to be camera tests. That completely refraims the album in my mind.

An odd bit of text was near the costumes for the 1980 Floor Show. Unless I read it wrong, it seemed to claim that Bowie took those costumes and dancers with him on tour in Japan. Did anyone else catch that?

June 27th, 2018, 10:55 pm #5

crackedemerald wrote: My sister and I spent FIVE HOURS in the exhibit the day before yesterday and I’m a bigger fan than when we went in.
It’s a funny thing about fandom - usually there’s a point of disillusionment - you discover your idol’s limitations and that’s it.
Mr. Bowie seems to have had fewer limitations than any artist since Picasso - and Picasso coasted since the Fifties. Mr. Bowie may have gone up a couple of dead ends, but he didn’t coast.
 You really enjoyed it then! ;-) I must confess that I lasted about 20 minutes - nice to see the handwritten lyrics and his old frocks but it seems and odd mishmash to me. I suppose the fact is that while I adore a great deal of his music I have zero interest in him as a person and even less in his 'art'. The section on film was especially amusing - a clip of him playing Nicola Tesla just confirmed what a bloody awful actor he was. Interesting too that the exhibition seems to gloss over the 80s? But hey how, each to their own and I was talking to a lady and her daughter later who loved it.

PS - plenty of the 'rare' vinyl still there, though I was happy to see one dude told to put down the 5 copies of Berlin 78 he was trying to buy and was limited to one. 

June 30th, 2018, 6:18 pm #6

I might suggest that Mr. Bowie was consciously and deliberately a mishmash (although I like the term ‘cultural synthesis’ a bit better). Parsing the crowd of influences was a great part of the fun - as was passing notes back and forth like we was in class.
"Schtum!"

June 30th, 2018, 6:29 pm #7

I think the biggest absence from what he left is a full tape of the Elephant Man. From what exists it’s clear he was very good. How many of his peers did anything like that? Fwiw for me in films he was always playing himself playing someone else (not always) badly. The exhibition is overall jaw dropping in its scope. I’ve been to the Floyd and Stones catchup versions and there’s no comparison. 

June 30th, 2018, 8:30 pm #8

crackedemerald wrote: My sister and I spent FIVE HOURS in the exhibit the day before yesterday and I’m a bigger fan than when we went in.
An interesting stream of thought on the Bowie experience and the exhibit are buried within this interview (start at 13:50 ends at 17:25), oh and it's not related to Billy-bob ...

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-9 ... b-thornton

July 1st, 2018, 6:28 am #9

crackedemerald wrote: I might suggest that Mr. Bowie was consciously and deliberately a mishmash (although I like the term ‘cultural synthesis’ a bit better). Parsing the crowd of influences was a great part of the fun - as was passing notes back and forth like we was in class.
'cultural synthesis' ha! Yes, fair enough - and glad you and your sister enjoyed it so much. I guess Bowie fans have always come in different flavours and I am just one of those dopes who liked it best when he knocked out a good tune. And he did that often enough amongst all his 'synthesizing' to keep us all happy. 

By the way,  what did you think of the crowd? I was struck by how varied they/we were - I expected a lot of those flakes who favour bad Ziggy hairdos, eye liner and lightening flashes, but I was sadly disappointed. There was one 'thin white duke' who looked about 250 pounds, but otherwise a very ordinary bunch of folks.
Last edited by the_starman on July 1st, 2018, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 1st, 2018, 4:24 pm #10

I’m pretty light on the glamour myself, Highway (by the way, big fan of your avatar) but that only highlights the continuing and subversive influence of Mr. Bowie on everyday life.
"Schtum!"

July 1st, 2018, 6:13 pm #11

Alas! Living on an Island (where Bowie used to go when the going was tough) It will never get here, and I will never see it! I hope the millions who have had a great experience! 

July 1st, 2018, 6:28 pm #12

And for all you people that watch Homeland (which is great TV BTW} don't go looking for beaches in Nicosia (it ain't got any) As depicted in the first series I believe!

July 1st, 2018, 6:59 pm #13

That’s okay: give it fifty years and nobody will have any, either.
"Schtum!"