David Bowie Glastonbury 2000 released next month!

4:56 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #1

David Bowie Glastonbury 2000 CD, DVD and LP released next month!

More details: BW News
glasto2018.jpg
glasto2018.jpg

3:55 AM - Oct 03, 2018 #2

Wonderful! You want to hear a performance that people abandoned their cars for.
My husband told me he’d traded his trousers to get into the US Festival, but his tastes ran more to metal. I also don’t know what he wore once he got in, but every marriage contains its mysteries.
"Schtum!"

7:55 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #3

On the one hand great news, on the other... a DVD? How 90s. A bluray would obviously be essential, even if the performance was shot in SD, the audio surely is digital, so an SD bluray would at least provide HD sound. It will probably be DD, the mp3 equivalent of multichannel sound :-(

Also the price difference between the 2CD and 2CD/DVD is €20! Again very 90s to charge that for a DVD...
Last edited by oakey1973 on 6:13 AM - Oct 04, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

10:50 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #4

oakey1973 wrote: On the on hand great news, on the other... a DVD? How 90s. A bluray would obviously be essential, even if the performance was shot in SD, the audio surely is digital, so an SD bluray would at least provide HD sound. It will probably be DD, the mp3 equivalent of multichannel sound :-(

Also the price difference between the 2CD and 2CD/DVD is €20! Again very 90s to charge that for a DVD...
the_starman wrote: It's never enough is it? Never the right format, never enough outtakes, never the right mastering, never the right right remix, never the re-imagining of a shite album as one a bit less shite, etc. I am amazed that Bowie Inc still provide for you wretches - these good people work their fingers to the bone for you, dreaming up all sorts of ways for us to divest ourselves of the filthy lucre that only corrupts us, and what do they get? 'But what about sigma reel?' 'But what about all those unreleased gems you've been hiding?' Bellyache, bellyache, grumble grumble oh and that stranger bloke wittering on about christ knows what. They deserve better.

🤭🤫😉
oakey1973 wrote: On the on hand great news, on the other... a DVD? How 90s. A bluray would obviously be essential, even if the performance was shot in SD, the audio surely is digital, so an SD bluray would at least provide HD sound. It will probably be DD, the mp3 equivalent of multichannel sound :-(

Will we protest by voting with our feet though 🤔

It might price drop a little bit down
from the current pre-order price before its actually released.

That sometimes happens.
Last edited by SHHWEEET! on 11:30 AM - Oct 04, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

2:38 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #5

I grew up in the transister-radio era, so I’m reluctant to become a slave to fidelity. Scrub too hard and you risk taking off a layer of mystique.
"Schtum!"

6:16 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #6

I will vote with my feet. I will not pay over €40 for a 2CD and DVD.
Certainly not over €40 for a vinyl record.

2000 Bowie is also not my favourite, do not like the 60s hair (difficult to avoid watching the show on DVD) and although many claim this performance is great, I remember that he was suffering from laryngitis and did not sing that well. I watched it at the time, do not remember this being a particularly great performance.

Will buy it when it is around €20 

8:44 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #7

I think I might hold out and wait for the price to drop. No doubt I'll get to hear it on spotify and see the video clips on youtube.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

9:09 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #8

oakey1973 wrote: I will vote with my feet. I will not pay over €40 for a 2CD and DVD.
Certainly not over €40 for a vinyl record.

2000 Bowie is also not my favourite, do not like the 60s hair (difficult to avoid watching the show on DVD) and although many claim this performance is great, I remember that he was suffering from laryngitis and did not sing that well. I watched it at the time, do not remember this being a particularly great performance.

Will buy it when it is around €20 

I admire that your prepared to make a stand, I did the same when it came to these overpriced box sets as well as lots of other Bowie related things, contenting myself with just buying the stand alones. As for the current vinyl resurgence, the price they are charging for them is just ridiculous in my book as well as for other reasons. If we all took a stand more against the obvious fan rip offs it would help the cause to get more of the vaults open. I do believe that.

I agree the 60s revisited Bowie look isn’t my favourite either but having said that, and despite his laryngitis on the night, I never went to Glastonbury so I am excited to finally have this and it wasn’t a really bad performance, going from what I’ve already seen. Also it’s one of the best things they have given us along with the Cracked Actor CD and WTTBO CD in recent times, so if we support this it might encourage them to release more of the goodies that we really want.

Em also has a point, you can ruin a recording by making it too perfect. One of the big criticisms of the ZSTMP DVD for example is the grainy picture quality, but for me personally it gives it atmosphere and that 70s vibe / feeling which I think is essential to have.

I do hear what your saying though and I do think the price might drop before release? Either way I fully respect your decision which ever way you go and for the reasons you have given.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

1:01 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #9

What Records are offering the vinyl+2CDs+dvd for £67. That’s less than £12 per disc. Is that good value?

I think that not unreasonable.
I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star

1:19 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #10

betty_turpin wrote: What Records are offering the vinyl+2CDs+dvd for £67. That’s less than £12 per disc. Is that good value?

I think that not unreasonable.
That’s not bad at all if your wanting every single physical format.

The CD & DVD edition serves all my needs.

1:38 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #11

I see sellers are offering the 2018 Never Let Me Down cd on EBay already.

3:06 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #12

betty_turpin wrote: I see sellers are offering the 2018 Never Let Me Down cd on EBay already.
All the more reason for Parlophone to release all the main discs / LPs in these box sets as official stand alone items.

Someone on here said ( I can’t remember who ) the live Serious Moonlight album will only be available as part of the box. If that proves to be the case then that’s just silly.

Basic marketing / business decision to release them separately I would have though, why leave it to the eBay sellers to satisfy that part of the market.

3:20 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #13

I’m happy to buy a 2018 NLMD if someone is breaking a box, but no way am I buying any box sets. I was given the Five Years box as a present but never would I have bought it. I wouldn’t mind The Gouster on vinyl.

5:05 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #14

betty_turpin wrote: I’m happy to buy a 2018 NLMD if someone is breaking a box, but no way am I buying any box sets.
Same here.

7:46 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #15

If you want them cheap, try going to ali express..

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... Text=bowie
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

9:57 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #16

betty_turpin wrote: I wouldn’t mind The Gouster on vinyl.
Same here only on stand alone CD. Where do you guys manage to store all this Vinyl?

Back to this forthcoming Glastonbury release. I’ve been watching / revisiting the 30 min footage of it available on YouTube having not seen it for a while and I must say  it’s only served to heighten the anticipation of this release.

It was a pretty special performance and for a man suffering with laryngitis he did an amazing job on the night.

Counting down the days now until we get this. I’d probably be tempted to buy this if even it was double the current price. Just don’t tell Parlophone that! 🤫

10:40 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #17

I think they have gone with dvd because Blu-ray isn’t taking over anytime soon, DVD players and discs are still cheaper and more people are watching via streaming or downloads so Blu Ray might mean less sales?

10:54 AM - Oct 05, 2018 #18

betty_turpin wrote: I think they have gone with dvd because Blu-ray isn’t taking over anytime soon, DVD players and discs are still cheaper and more people are watching via streaming or downloads so Blu Ray might mean less sales?
I agree with your streaming, downloading, and cost to produce reasoning, but Blu-Ray players are cheap as chips these days and play both formats.

2:24 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #19

dvd’s are 1p these days, not seen many 1p blu ray discs about.

3:17 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #20

betty_turpin wrote: dvd’s are 1p these days, not seen many 1p blu ray discs about.
1p!

Blimey!

5:17 PM - Oct 05, 2018 #21

Sellers make their money on p&p

3:17 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #22

Maybe I've missed it, but does anyone know who mixed this?

12:05 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #23

jimreeve wrote: Maybe I've missed it, but does anyone know who mixed this?
Wasn’t it filmed in partnership with the BBC. I assume it was the person who mixed it originally for the 37 min TV broadcast and they have polished up the sound a bit for this release.

12:49 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #24

What's the cheapest you have seen this going for?

1:47 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #25

borchgrevink wrote: What's the cheapest you have seen this going for?
£34.99 seems to be the pre-order going rate at the moment on the likes of Amazon for the DVD & CD set, although Ena spotted a good deal on What Records All formats package, CD, vinyl, and DVD, for around £60 I think it was.

I think price could maybe drop before release so if your going to order now, order from Amazon because they have their price guarantee where they will give you the lowest price if it changes before despatch.

7:10 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #26

I’ve only seen What Records offering a ‘all format’ deal. It’s £67 plus p&p

6:26 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #27

I can understand a lot of the views here. I haven't bought a single box set and don't intend to. Far too expensive for a teachers salary. I "would" buy CD's of "Lodger Remix" "The Gouster" and "Never Let Me Down" Redux but they don't appear to be doing that. I will be buying the Glastonbury CD/DVD set though as it truly was a legendary concert.  Hope to one day see a market stall with the above all for sale at a more reasonable price.
Jx

6:31 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #28

Can we expect a release of the full BBC Radio Theater concert from 2000 too? Would be great!