David Bowie: Glamour Fanzine The Compendium.

10:36 PM - Aug 01, 2018 #1

Due to demand, we have published a small number of books containing the first three issues of the fanzine. The books are superb quality and will be available for a limited time. We still have some copies left. The book can be purchased here https://davidbowieglamour.wordpress.com/hardback/
Thank you.

6:36 PM - Aug 03, 2018 #2

This new hardback edition of the first 3 volumes looks like a nice purchase albeit quite expensive for what you term a fanzine.

Now therin lies the problem. Why are you constantly referring to this project as a fanzine? At my advancing age I really don’t want to, or indeed be associated with a fanzine, not  to mention a fanzine is usually something associated with some one who is alive. Also had I bought the first 3 editions of these publications which I haven’t, I’d be feeling pretty annoyed that they were now being made available in a more classier hard back book. Are you prepared to take someone’s already purchased 3 editions of Glamour as a sort of trade in should they now decide they would rather own this classier hard back version? Also are the next 3 editions going to be released as a book also?

This publication looks well put together and researched by a group of knowledgeable and dedicated fans from what little I know about it and I wish you continued success with this project.

But my advice would be to drop the teenage fanzine tag, call it a hard back book, and just release this project every time as a book with the projects 3 issue content volume. Much classier and more appropriate for our, I would assume, advancing age demographic.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

8:21 PM - Aug 03, 2018 #3

Hi, the book isn't classier than the fanzine. It's a very high quality fanzine and is faithfully reproduced with the same quality in this hardback version. Paper quality is very high and its litho' printed. We decided to publish in this format due to demand. We only have a few copies left now.
I understand your point of view about the term fanzine. But its made by fans, it's non profit making and is for fans.
Our age demographic varies across the board. Our designer is 21 years old and the cover artist is 25 years old. Both massive David Bowie fans. Also, many of buyers, around half, are under 30 years of age. Bowie attracts more fans everyday. We only ever print 1000 copies of each issue and it's sold on a first come first served basis. When issue 4 goes on sale it might be worth buying a copy - you don't know what you're missing.
Incidentally, we sent copies of the fanzine to Iman, Lexi and Duncan and all responded that they loved it. All 1000 copies sell usually within 2 weeks or so. There will never be a reprint. There will never be a reprint of the book either. The book is restricted to those who want a copy that's how the book sold out quickly. Issue one of the fanzine is selling for over £100 on Ebay, another reason to print the book.

Incidentally, Paul (Kinder) wrote an article for our first issue - that went down very well indeed.

8:42 PM - Aug 03, 2018 #4

Surely not being prepared to re print in the future if demand is high enough hence the need for this book as you state, is to restrict your clientele to those who only got on board at the very beginning.

I mean why would anyone decide to get on board at issue 4,5,7,or 8, etc, if they have no chance of ever completing the set except via rip off Flea Bay.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

10:28 PM - Aug 03, 2018 #5

We can't reprint. Copyright. Images are licensed for a set volume.

10:37 PM - Aug 03, 2018 #6

Also, the book is beautiful. It isn't expensive at all for the quality of the product. It's a complete labour of love. 1000 fans have bought each issue and we have yet to receive negative feedback about the content or design. The fanzine is also only £10 plus postage and is extremely good value. As i'm sure you would agree should you be able to purchase a copy in the future. In the meantime, if you do purchase a book, please let me know whether it is worth the outlay. Thank you.

10:35 AM - Aug 04, 2018 #7

worlebury3 wrote: Also, the book is beautiful. It isn't expensive at all for the quality of the product. It's a complete labour of love. 1000 fans have bought each issue and we have yet to receive negative feedback about the content or design. The fanzine is also only £10 plus postage and is extremely good value. As i'm sure you would agree should you be able to purchase a copy in the future. In the meantime, if you do purchase a book, please let me know whether it is worth the outlay. Thank you.

Thank you for your informative responses. Should I decide to buy the book or fanzine I would be more than happy to report back my findings to you, although I’m pretty confident from your replies either version would be a worthwhile read and purchase.

I’ve got be honest though I’m not planning to buy either at the moment simply because I have far too many books and magazines on Bowie, some which I haven’t actually got around to reading yet! due to time constraints, therefore it would seem the sensible thing to do to call a temporary halt until I catch up with regards to what I actually already own, the one exception being the forthcoming Serious Moonlight book which is on pre order. Whilst the 80s isn’t my favourite Bowie period I am looking forward to that book very much.  

Also there are a lot of Bowie CD and DVD releases, bootleg and officially released that seem to be coming to the market on a refgular basis these days which eats up the bank balance and which annoys my wife, therefore I do prioritise those.

Like I said earlier I wish you and your team continued success, a nonprofit project like this made for fans by fans is always a worthwhile venture.