David Bowie and The Lower Third's BBC audition report from 1965

10:48 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #1

It seems there will be a First Five Years doc.

11:14 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #2

'The singer is a cockney type, but not outstanding enough' !  😆

11:17 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #3

They need to elaborate on, and include recordings from the planned 1968 album in the First Five Years documentary.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

12:03 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #4

I believe Kevin Cann (who is looking after Kenn Pitt's archive and treasures) has lent them unreleased audio clips from this period - he is certainly involved in this documentary.

6:26 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #5

I wonder if Kevin will eventually do a book (with accompanying CD?) based on Ken Pitt's archives? There seems little point in just preserving it in order to keep it all hidden.

7:01 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #6

Just a group, and very ordinary too, backing a singer devoid of personality.

😯
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

10:42 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #7

Really looking forward to it. I'm expecting some surprises and great reminiscences from people.

Hope they can find someone from the Riot Squad years to pitch in with some stories.

Would be lovely to see Ken say a few words but I imagine he's quite frail now sadly. 

5:12 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #8

doctoroctopussy wrote: Really looking forward to it. I'm expecting some surprises and great reminiscences from people.

Hope they can find someone from the Riot Squad years to pitch in with some stories.

Would be lovely to see Ken say a few words but I imagine he's quite frail now sadly. 
An interview with members of the Riot Squad was filmed for the project a few months ago.

7:13 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #9

LuisKantor wrote: I wonder if Kevin will eventually do a book (with accompanying CD?) based on Ken Pitt's archives? There seems little point in just preserving it in order to keep it all hidden.
That would be nice.
I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star

11:04 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #10

from Rolling Stone

'The 90-minute documentary promises to feature unheard audio recordings, archival footage – including a 1965 BBC audition of David Bowie and the Lower Third performing “Chim-Chim-Cheree” and “Baby, That’s a Promise” – as well as exclusive interviews with Bowie’s first cousin and lifelong-friend Kristina Amadeus, former girlfriend Hermione Farthingale, longtime producer Tony Visconti, Spiders from Mars member Woody Woodmansey and influential choreographer Lindsay Kemp. The First Five Years marks Kemp’s final filmed interview prior to his August 2018 death.'

11:51 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #11

LuisKantor wrote: I wonder if Kevin will eventually do a book (with accompanying CD?) based on Ken Pitt's archives? There seems little point in just preserving it in order to keep it all hidden.
I think "Any Day Now" was really the showcase for Ken's stuff (it had a lot of photographs of  Bowie's notes, set lists, contracts, scribbles etc etc from Ken's management period). 

Sadly the unheard demos will be firmly embargoed by the estate other than possibly as snippets for the documentary,  as we found out when Decca wanted to release them for the Anthology.

11:53 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #12

This sounds really good, actually - has the potential for plenty of new and/or obscure stuff, which is exactly what we need at this point,
rather than re-jigs of the same old.
Kristina's said a lot of interesting stuff in interviews, so her perspective will be good to have.
Don't think I've ever actually seen filmed interviews with her or Hermione, though, so that will add to it, too.
Hutch seems a bit of an omission and I'm not sure what Woody can add to a 'first five years' piece, but I'm really looking forward to this one. 

12:00 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #13

Larranaga wrote:
Hutch seems a bit of an omission and I'm not sure what Woody can add to a 'first five years' piece, but I'm really looking forward to this one. 
He may well end up being in it. I'm sure those mentioned in the press release are not the only interviewees.

2:56 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #14

doctoroctopussy wrote: from Rolling Stone

'The 90-minute documentary promises to feature unheard audio recordings, archival footage – including a 1965 BBC audition of David Bowie and the Lower Third performing “Chim-Chim-Cheree” and “Baby, That’s a Promise” – as well as exclusive interviews with Bowie’s first cousin and lifelong-friend Kristina Amadeus, former girlfriend Hermione Farthingale, longtime producer Tony Visconti, Spiders from Mars member Woody Woodmansey and influential choreographer Lindsay Kemp. The First Five Years marks Kemp’s final filmed interview prior to his August 2018 death.'
Rolling Stone have used a report from Deadline website - who I believe have got it wrong. They obviously didn't read the BBC press release correctly.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/bbc-david- ... 202478250/

2:58 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #15

A bit more from me on the three songs on the audition tape...

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/bowienews/news.htm

3:19 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #16

paulkinder wrote: A bit more from me on the three songs on the audition tape...

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/bowienews/news.htm
Worth noting that jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery also recorded a version of Chim Chim Cheree on his 1966 album entitled Goin' Out Of My Head which included a very eclectic selection of material:

And Duke Ellington's version preceded both Coltrane and Montgomery:

Last edited by LuisKantor on 3:51 PM - Oct 09, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

3:22 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #17

Markmywurdz wrote:

I think "Any Day Now" was really the showcase for Ken's stuff (it had a lot of photographs of  Bowie's notes, set lists, contracts, scribbles etc etc from Ken's management period). 

Sadly the unheard demos will be firmly embargoed by the estate other than possibly as snippets for the documentary,  as we found out when Decca wanted to release them for the Anthology.
Very good point. It would at least be interesting to know what exists in KP's archive in terms of reels, acetates, test pressings, etc

6:10 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #18

LuisKantor wrote:
Markmywurdz wrote:

Very good point. It would at least be interesting to know what exists in KP's archive in terms of reels, acetates, test pressings, etc
From what I have heard, quite a bit (including the demo of "Now You've Met the London Boys" made with Tony Hatch. I am sure Paul K has been lucky enough to hear most of them. A few lucky people have...

10:10 AM - Oct 10, 2018 #19

Be surprised if Hutch wasn't on it.

Wonder if anyone ever tracked Ralph Horton down? it's a bit of a mystery what happened to him in the end.

Hope it touches on Sparky King as well. Still never seen a picture of him.