David Bowie - A Christian?

David Bowie - A Christian?

October 6th, 2013, 5:33 pm #1

I have been thinking recently whether David is a committed Christian. I was watching the excellent Five Years documentary and could not help noticing the discreet necklace with cross he was wearing in film taken around the time if low and heroes. People just don't wear crucifixes if they don't have religious conviction.

It is also notable that he was married in a church in Florence... Marriage promises in church are made in recognition of god and Jesus Christ. And then there was the courageous and some say bizarre moment during the Freddie Mercury concert when he dropped to his knees and said The Lord's Prayer. Coupled with appearances in The Last Temptation of Christ, overtly religios songs like Sunday and Loving the Alien and more recently portraying Jesus in The Next Day video!!!

The signs are all there !

October 6th, 2013, 6:57 pm #2

I believe the crucifix he wears belonged to his father (I may be wrong).

But I'm sure Sam can find evidence in db's songs to answer your question definitively. Over to you, Sam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Your days here are numbered...run along, dear"
Last edited by LuisKantor on October 6th, 2013, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 6th, 2013, 7:18 pm #3

This thread would indeed benefit from
a bit of Sam's ecumenical insight. Perhaps a
Sam/Em collaboration?

<p>
Sun, Rain, Fire, You, Me</p>

October 6th, 2013, 7:24 pm #4

But I'm sure Sam can find evidence in db's songs to answer your question definitively. Over to you, Sam.

I would say Bowie is not a Christian. In fact, he used the crucifix he wore to explain it is not affiliated with any personal faith.

Regarding his role in Last Temptation, not at all evidence of a faith in Christ, nor being "married in a church, nor his songs, Sunday or Heathen.

In fact, a faithful Christian would not have been permitted to remarry after Angie, because the marriage was not dissolved due to his wife's adultery.

Regarding the Lord's Prayer, this might be evidence in a faith and obedience to Christ, but why then would he marry a Muslim, one who does not follow or believe in Christ at all?

In a relatively recent interview during Reality, Bowie described his religious stance as "not quite an atheist," which is not a strong declaration of a belief in Christ.

Possibly Bowie's greatest shortcoming is he does not fathom the beauty of the life of Christ, which may lend itself to a scribble from the Laugh Motel.
Last edited by whitecaps on October 6th, 2013, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 6th, 2013, 7:30 pm #5

I have been thinking recently whether David is a committed Christian. I was watching the excellent Five Years documentary and could not help noticing the discreet necklace with cross he was wearing in film taken around the time if low and heroes. People just don't wear crucifixes if they don't have religious conviction.

It is also notable that he was married in a church in Florence... Marriage promises in church are made in recognition of god and Jesus Christ. And then there was the courageous and some say bizarre moment during the Freddie Mercury concert when he dropped to his knees and said The Lord's Prayer. Coupled with appearances in The Last Temptation of Christ, overtly religios songs like Sunday and Loving the Alien and more recently portraying Jesus in The Next Day video!!!

October 6th, 2013, 7:33 pm #6

I would say Bowie is not a Christian. In fact, he used the crucifix he wore to explain it is not affiliated with any personal faith.

Regarding his role in Last Temptation, not at all evidence of a faith in Christ, nor being "married in a church, nor his songs, Sunday or Heathen.

In fact, a faithful Christian would not have been permitted to remarry after Angie, because the marriage was not dissolved due to his wife's adultery.

Regarding the Lord's Prayer, this might be evidence in a faith and obedience to Christ, but why then would he marry a Muslim, one who does not follow or believe in Christ at all?

In a relatively recent interview during Reality, Bowie described his religious stance as "not quite an atheist," which is not a strong declaration of a belief in Christ.

Possibly Bowie's greatest shortcoming is he does not fathom the beauty of the life of Christ, which may lend itself to a scribble from the Laugh Motel.
He was a Christian but he's probably an atheist now.

Here is an interview from 2003

Q: After all these years of unsettling absolutes, you're calling your new album "Reality."

DB: It is ironic. You haven't seen the artwork yet, but there's a fakeness to the cover that undermines that. It's the old chestnut: What is real and what isn't? It's actually about who's stolen this world.

Q: Do you feel like your thinking about those questions has changed or deepened?

DB: I honestly believe that my initial questions haven't changed at all. There are far fewer of them these days, but they're really important. Questioning my spiritual life has always been germane to what I was writing. Always. It's because I'm not quite an atheist and it worries me. There's that little bit that holds on: "Well, I'm almost an atheist. Give me a couple of months." [Laughs]

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/ ... es-Me.aspx

October 6th, 2013, 7:40 pm #7

In what way is Bowie's presentation of the Lord's Prayer evidence of faith and obedience? He may as well of read Humpty Dumpty for all it was worth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heinz Kohut was right
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 6th, 2013, 7:48 pm #8

Bowie a christian? I wouldn't have thought so:

http://youtu.be/dssA5ApFbo0

Mist.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply posting on BWW." - Me.

October 6th, 2013, 7:54 pm #9

Oh, dear.

Not quite what we were hoping for, Sam! Where are the references to song lyrics???

I was hoping for lots of mention of false messiahs, "bullshit faith" and possibly the fact that "God's a young man too".

Can we have a full-scale, repeatedly-edited elditorial please and not just an impromptu collection of thoughts? Many thanks.

October 6th, 2013, 9:13 pm #10

"Regarding the Lord's Prayer, this might be evidence in a faith and obedience to Christ, but why then would he marry a Muslim, one who does not follow or believe in Christ at all?

TONY PARSONS: Why did you say the Lords Prayer at the Freddie Mercury tribute ?

DAVID BOWIE: I decided to do it about five minutes before I went on stage. Coco [Schwab, Bowie's long-term personal assistant] and I had a friend called Craig who was dying of AIDS. He was just dropping into a coma that day. And just before I went on stage something just told me to say the Lords Prayer. The great irony is that he died two days after the show.

In rock music, especially in the performance arena, there is no room for prayer, but I think that so many of the songs people write are prayers. A lot of my songs seem to be prayers for unity within myself. On a personal level, I have an undying belief in Gods existence. For me it is unquestionable.

Looking at what I have done in my life, in retrospect so much of what I thought was adventurism was searching for my tenuous connection with God. I was always investigating, always looking into why religions worked and what it was people found in them. And I was always fluctuating from one set of beliefs to another until a very low point in the mid-Seventies where I developed a fascination with black magic.

And although Im sure there was a satanic lead pulling me towards it, it wasn't a search for evil. It was in the hope that the signs might lead me somewhere. There seemed to be a path inherent in cabalistic religion. There seemed to be a path that one could follow. And of course it helped greatly that it was all so drug-induced. That really helped to blur the sense of reality of what I was getting involved in.

You could have done some research and included this in an elditorial.
"The essay remains strong"
Last edited by Sidviscount on October 6th, 2013, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 6th, 2013, 9:26 pm #11

That was great Sid! Sam is proving to
be an invaluable inspiration to you ..neat.

<p>

October 6th, 2013, 10:49 pm #12

This thread would indeed benefit from
a bit of Sam's ecumenical insight. Perhaps a
Sam/Em collaboration?

<p>
I don't know about Iman and her beliefs, but I read many times/place that some schools of Islam accomodate Jesus and Yahweh.

FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Islam

Christianity and Islam share a historical and traditional connection. The two faiths share a common origin in the Middle East[2] and Muslims consider Christians (and Jews) to be People of the Book. Belief in the Injil (the original Gospel of Jesus) is an important part of Islamic theology, although Muslims view the current Gospels as altered.

October 6th, 2013, 11:25 pm #13

"Regarding the Lord's Prayer, this might be evidence in a faith and obedience to Christ, but why then would he marry a Muslim, one who does not follow or believe in Christ at all?

TONY PARSONS: Why did you say the Lords Prayer at the Freddie Mercury tribute ?

DAVID BOWIE: I decided to do it about five minutes before I went on stage. Coco [Schwab, Bowie's long-term personal assistant] and I had a friend called Craig who was dying of AIDS. He was just dropping into a coma that day. And just before I went on stage something just told me to say the Lords Prayer. The great irony is that he died two days after the show.

In rock music, especially in the performance arena, there is no room for prayer, but I think that so many of the songs people write are prayers. A lot of my songs seem to be prayers for unity within myself. On a personal level, I have an undying belief in Gods existence. For me it is unquestionable.

Looking at what I have done in my life, in retrospect so much of what I thought was adventurism was searching for my tenuous connection with God. I was always investigating, always looking into why religions worked and what it was people found in them. And I was always fluctuating from one set of beliefs to another until a very low point in the mid-Seventies where I developed a fascination with black magic.

And although Im sure there was a satanic lead pulling me towards it, it wasn't a search for evil. It was in the hope that the signs might lead me somewhere. There seemed to be a path inherent in cabalistic religion. There seemed to be a path that one could follow. And of course it helped greatly that it was all so drug-induced. That really helped to blur the sense of reality of what I was getting involved in.

You could have done some research and included this in an elditorial.
"The essay remains strong"
Not a bad effort, Sid - but could have been improved by six more edits and references to chromatic scales and atonality.

October 6th, 2013, 11:46 pm #14

Mr. Bowie has addressed the approximately Judeo-Christian God in some of his songs; he's also expressed Buddhist philosophy. My husband called himself "a Free-Lancer"; he had a relationship with God that had nothing to do with organized religion. I imagine Mr. Bowie's belief system runs along similar lines.

"Schtum!"
"Schtum!"

October 7th, 2013, 9:10 am #15

The crucifix was worn as a symbol of protection. There are interviews in the Seventies where he explains his reasoning but I cannot think of them off the top of my head. The cross represented some sort of power against the corrupting influences of the black magick he was becoming obsessed with at the time. 'Word On A Wing' is a prayer. It is as if Bowie's fragmented mind saw purity and protection in Christianity. I think Bowie is like many of us - spiritual without believing in organised religion so, not quite an atheist.

I used to wear a cross at the time too - just because Bowie wore one!

October 7th, 2013, 11:36 am #16

Thank you everyone for your contributions. It seems clear to me that Bowie has a belief in God and in common with many of faith seeks a spiritual connection. He would definitely not seem to be an atheist. Incidentally being a Christian does not prevent you from marrying a non believer (atheist or other religion). Many people found themselves as Christians without actually going to church. I would put bowie in the category in the judo Christian tradition.

October 7th, 2013, 1:13 pm #17

judo Christian??? NO! Bowie himself said he is almost an atheist in 2003. He' probably agnostic.

October 7th, 2013, 1:26 pm #18

Judo or Judeo...?

October 7th, 2013, 1:32 pm #19

Oh, go on then...............Just a quick game.............

Mist.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply posting on BWW." - Me.

October 7th, 2013, 2:40 pm #20

It's one of those things that either you are or are not? The implication is that he is actually NOT a athiest as being almost one means that actually he is not.

October 7th, 2013, 2:42 pm #21

Oh, go on then...............Just a quick game.............

Mist.

Can I be Lesley Judd please?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heinz Kohut was right
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 8th, 2013, 6:41 am #22

Bowie is leading millions to hell. Word on a Wing is a prayer to the self to which the deity is invited to partake though on the most narrowly dictated terms. I would listen to this music with the greatest caution--and with ear muffs as opposed to headphones.

Red Book Red Sail ~ a Jungian-Bowie blog
http://redbookredsail.wordpress.com
Last edited by pleasecomeaway on October 8th, 2013, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 8th, 2013, 6:44 am #23

Is Hell not on Google Maps yet? It's not in my Satnav, I know I typed it in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heinz Kohut was right
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 8th, 2013, 3:53 pm #24

It would lead you to Norwich where sam claude and the Norwich fat boy are sat naked by the computer doing research for a series of elditorials.

"The essay remains shite"

October 9th, 2013, 5:05 am #25

Simply follow The Pretty Things.

My joke was that mine was a mixed marriage: I was Mac and he was PC.

"Schtum!"
"Schtum!"

October 9th, 2013, 5:21 am #26

Ena I googled Hell and I got directions to outside Detroit, Michigan, and it has a toll. The boatman wants his due.

The world is the best of all possible worlds, and everything in it is a necessary evil.
F. H. Bradley

Last edited by whidbeyisland on October 9th, 2013, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy
Timothy

January 11th, 2016, 12:50 pm #27

It's one of those things that either you are or are not? The implication is that he is actually NOT a athiest as being almost one means that actually he is not.
Imagine Christians who are perfect what world do you live in. Honestly though I know being a Christian is not an easy tour of duty but a war we must defend all the days of our lives. Will there be casualities God created it that way. The question at hand will all things work together for the good of those who Love Jesus/God. For what he did for you and me if we only believe in the name of the Lord Jesus the Christ of our hearts and souls.

Nathalie
Nathalie

January 21st, 2016, 1:54 pm #28

The cross was given to David as a gift by his father, when David was a teenager.

I can't speak for his early years, but by 1990, he began to wear the cross all the time. I believe he was a Christian.

In many of his lyrics, his fascination with, and awe of , Jesus Christ is very apparent. And he possessed Biblical knowledge, as evidenced in the song "Lazarus".

As you all know, David passed away on 10 January, 2016. I believe he is with our Lord now.

Please pray for him, and his family... he left behind a wife he was still crazy in love with, and two wonderful children, including a fifteen year old daughter named Lexi.

God Bless Us All.

Nathalie

January 21st, 2016, 3:08 pm #29

Bowie is leading millions to hell. Word on a Wing is a prayer to the self to which the deity is invited to partake though on the most narrowly dictated terms. I would listen to this music with the greatest caution--and with ear muffs as opposed to headphones.

Red Book Red Sail ~ a Jungian-Bowie blog
http://redbookredsail.wordpress.com
I find the Bowie project antithetical to Christianity. It's very much a Church of Man endeavor. Even on Word on a Wing, his prayer is freighted with conditions.

Still you forced your way
Into my scheme of things

very anthropocentric and Babelian. Imagine God forcing His way into a man's carefully crafted scheme. Da noive! Leave our Towers alone, respectfully!

Just because I believe, don't mean I don't think as well

The very definition of hubris...look, I'll give this religious thing a whirl, but if it careens too closely into my carefully-constructed Tower of Babel, I might have to move on.

But I still care for myself

More implied conditions. God, you will have to contend with my self-love. But if we can make it work, I'm up for it.

I admire Bowie for going out the way he lived. On his own terms. Orchesrating the inevitable departure from this mortal coil as though he himself was in control of it. Big balls. Conviction. I pretend no insights into a person's relationship with his or her God. But looking on, I feel no Christian sensibility. Bowie was an unbowed, unapologetic Luciferean. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

Last edited by redvinylshoes on January 21st, 2016, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 21st, 2016, 3:18 pm #30

One can read all kinds of nonsense into anything, especially matters concerning religious belief. No one truly know what Bowie's belief systems were, except himself and probably his wife and children. Speculation, interpretation are all find and legit, of course. But in the final analysis they mean zilch. Bowie was not letting on and that's that.

January 21st, 2016, 3:29 pm #31

'David Bowie' was an extended public performance stretching over a half-century. We know precious little about David Jones, the man with a soul. So are we ascribing --or not-- a Christian belief system to an extended public performance? Maybe the question at the top of this discussion could be better posed.

Does a stack of costumes and records have a soul? Can a wardrobe be saved? Is a man who projects the David Bowie Project onto the world ultimately held to account for his projections and all that they imply? That's beyond my pay-grade though I'll confess to taking stabs at the question from time to time.

There's no shortage of idolatrous sulking over his demise. I feel it too. Nor did he do much to deflate this sense of a departing uberman. On the contrary, the last two videos do more to cement the God construction process than dismantle it, imho.

In a lifetime of brilliant lyrics, I come back to 'it's no game' as being somehow emblematic. It's the one that sticks in the pan for me. Fifty years is more than a lark or 'a thousand takes on sheer and utter nonsense'. There was a steady consistency of message.

Nathalie
Nathalie

January 21st, 2016, 3:37 pm #32

The cross was given to David as a gift by his father, when David was a teenager.

I can't speak for his early years, but by 1990, he began to wear the cross all the time. I believe he was a Christian.

In many of his lyrics, his fascination with, and awe of , Jesus Christ is very apparent. And he possessed Biblical knowledge, as evidenced in the song "Lazarus".

As you all know, David passed away on 10 January, 2016. I believe he is with our Lord now.

Please pray for him, and his family... he left behind a wife he was still crazy in love with, and two wonderful children, including a fifteen year old daughter named Lexi.

God Bless Us All.

Nathalie
"At one point we gave him a gold cross as a gift; He also asked to have a mezuzah up in his room because of his revival and belief in religion, and felt that it would create more security for himself."

from: https://beatpatrol.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... ange-1978/

David
David

January 21st, 2016, 4:08 pm #33

But didn't he lose God in a New York minute.

January 21st, 2016, 4:17 pm #34

...and go to the church of Man-love?

January 21st, 2016, 6:42 pm #35

Judo or Judeo...?

"A Judo-Christian" is perhaps someone who does a lot of wrestling with God.
"Schtum!"

January 21st, 2016, 6:48 pm #36

'David Bowie' was an extended public performance stretching over a half-century. We know precious little about David Jones, the man with a soul. So are we ascribing --or not-- a Christian belief system to an extended public performance? Maybe the question at the top of this discussion could be better posed.

Does a stack of costumes and records have a soul? Can a wardrobe be saved? Is a man who projects the David Bowie Project onto the world ultimately held to account for his projections and all that they imply? That's beyond my pay-grade though I'll confess to taking stabs at the question from time to time.

There's no shortage of idolatrous sulking over his demise. I feel it too. Nor did he do much to deflate this sense of a departing uberman. On the contrary, the last two videos do more to cement the God construction process than dismantle it, imho.

In a lifetime of brilliant lyrics, I come back to 'it's no game' as being somehow emblematic. It's the one that sticks in the pan for me. Fifty years is more than a lark or 'a thousand takes on sheer and utter nonsense'. There was a steady consistency of message.
I've been saying the same thing a day or two after the news broke and have been pilloried for it. Beware the savage jaw...............

Mist.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 21st, 2016, 6:49 pm #37

You never do anything but project the hateful bile in your own empty heart onto a public figure that you will never meet, and never know.

January 21st, 2016, 7:30 pm #38

Whoa, that public figure strove to become an intimate figure for millions and succeeded at it rather handily I'd say. One minute he's intimate the next he's back on the telly as a distant public figure. I get dizzy at this tennis game.

Bowie can't be a transformative force who altered the trajectory of culture AND a dude just throwing camel shit willy-nilly at the wall like any ole public entertainment figure. That's seems like having it both ways. We trivialize his impact by not admitting his effects were enduring and real. So which way is it?

January 21st, 2016, 8:35 pm #39

...and go to the church of Man-love?

January 21st, 2016, 8:49 pm #40

Lol whizzkidworld.

Jesus as Ninja Warrior.

"These are MY Disciples Now. You arseholes!"

January 21st, 2016, 9:20 pm #41

"Their skulls are covered with heavy gauze, and gaudy buttons with precious stones are added as eyes..."
Heavenly Bodies
Paul Koudounaris

Bowie was just like T.S. Eliot plundering the past for symbology and redefining it to suit his purposes. I can relate to being spiritual, but organized religion causes too much conflict in this world.

January 21st, 2016, 11:02 pm #42

That one reminds me of the "Ashes To Ashes" video.

Looks like Mr. Bowie picked a few images out of that one, too.
"Schtum!"

January 21st, 2016, 11:21 pm #43

I would just like to thank sammy mcnight for his fine writing and contribution to this board.

Last edited by whitecaps on January 21st, 2016, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 21st, 2016, 11:39 pm #44

glad you edited that Sam ,the first attempt was poor, the essay was not strong

Brett
Brett

January 22nd, 2016, 12:28 am #45

In one interview David said that he couldn't ever bring himself to quite be an atheist something kept pulling him back. Referring to his wedding in a church in Florence which was written to accommodate the Christian and Eastern influence and aspects of their marriage. Word on a win is a Prayer basically David is quoted as talking about Station to Station the album as essentially the fourteen points of a cross. Just listen to the words of word on a wing. David commented that the 14 stations of the Cross is something that reviewers have never picked up on. Overtly religious many people call themselves Christians without being David Church goers. Finally is now quoted as having found God in the last few weeks and months of his life. Possibly backed up by the fact that he followed god on Twitter. I know the form any it is not popular to think of David Bowie as being religious but he was definitely spiritual.

January 22nd, 2016, 12:58 am #46

A general rule of life, I feel, is that if our beliefs are a simple question of yes/no then we aren't doing them properly.

If that's the general principle consider how subtle and complex Bowie's religious and spiritual feelings would have been. Great Christian mystics have acknowledged the importance of doubt and darkness in their truest experience of God. My instinct is that such an introverted, creative and adventurous soul as Jones/Bowie would have understood these sentiments and explored them thoroughly.

But ultimately, that conversation was between him and the ground of being alone. All else is idle speculation.

January 22nd, 2016, 1:58 am #47

I think that Bowie said he was spiritual but not religious at some point. He was searching but didn't seem to come across something he could convict to. As previously pointed out the crucifix was more of a good luck charm if you read up.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 22nd, 2016, 2:45 am #48

Have you guys ever listened to this album Heathen by that old dead glam singer? Lots of God comes up on that one. https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/category/heathen-2002/

"Heathen kind of felt right, in as much as it was about the unilluminated mind. It was an idea, a feeling, a sense of what 21st Century man might become if he’s not already: someone who’s lowered his standards spiritually, intellectually, morally whatever…someone who’s not even bothered searching for a spiritual life anymore but who’s completely existing on a materialistic plain. But just using the word “heathen” is kind of less preachy than explaining all that. ‘Cos if you wrote all that on the front of an album cover, nobody would bother buying it, would they?"

“Heathenism is a state of mind. You can take it that I’m referring to one who does not see his world. He has no mental light. He destroys almost unwittingly. He cannot feel any God’s presence in his life. He is the 21st century man.”

January 23rd, 2016, 1:10 pm #49

I was listening to this show on cd this morning and when asked by redbeard
about the most important things in life David answered 1/ God 2/ Sex.
Will that answer this question ?
But if like me he lost close family members (for me my 19 year old daughter and 50 year old middle brother within 4 years of one another)then God will only not just come 2nd
but no where at all, my thinking is his 1/2 brother Terry and what he went through
in life but also lots of friends very close to David have died over his life time.
I hope this helps in any small way.

Brett
Brett

January 24th, 2016, 1:26 am #50

Very interesting. Can you point us to this interview. Thanks and I am deeply sorry for your losses.