Counterfeit five years box set?

July 19th, 2018, 1:27 am #1

I never got around to buying the five years box (I know, I know... I have the other two and read with great pleasure today the announcement of “loving the alien”). But I’ve been burned twice by counterfeit “five years” boxes. Amazon is selling it now - and amazon is the seller - for $119. Does anyone know if this is legit? I know how to tell if it’s counterfeit once I receive it (silver discs, shoddy covers). But how do I know if it’s an “official” box? I’m thinking because it’s fulfilled by amazon, I’m safe. What does anyone think?

July 19th, 2018, 6:37 am #2

Don't trust Amazon. Don't trust anyone 😀

Seriously though, look at the number of Bowie bootlegs they sell?

I bought a cd recently from them from a seller who had 100% rating. It was a CD-R. While it wasn't cheap, I've given the seller the benefit of the doubt as it could be a promo, and some things are free in life some aren't so on balance I've let the matter go unchallenged.

But buyer beware, you know...
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

July 23rd, 2018, 2:40 am #3

Lots of third party sellers whose sources are China and Hong Kong, so beware indeed. I resell there all the time, and when I list my items I note they are official along with any details of condition (for instance, if it's a limited edition release I'll buy a couple more as investments and voila, turn a profit later. You can imagine the turn around I got when I pre-ordered three copies of the clear Bowie.com Blackstar records).

But that is what you should look for in a seller: careful description of each item they are selling. Unfortunately, Amazon recently got rid of sellers' ability to add unique item descriptions for new items, and this is how most boots are presented.

July 23rd, 2018, 7:52 am #4

These Cds normally go on sale a few months after the official ones and the tell signs are a Chinese address, but cant you buy through the Bowie site ?

July 24th, 2018, 5:41 pm #5

I seem to remember that the Chinese versions are pretty good?

July 24th, 2018, 9:54 pm #6

borchgrevink wrote: I seem to remember that the Chinese versions are pretty good?
I’ve never seen them myself although I’m led to believe they are.

I’ve been content to buy the official breakout albums on CD yet again! which to me sound the best they ever have, although I appreciate many will disagree with that.

The rest of these box sets that contain anything of actual interest I’ve just cherrypicked digitaly.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

July 26th, 2018, 12:13 am #7

I first got the Second Box set Who Can I be Now for $10.00 Silver Discs on Ebay and the Sound Quality was excellent. So I picked up Five Years from Ebay for $25.00. Again sound quality was Excellent but Covers were bent at spine wrong. But for the price it was worth it. One thing I noticed on WCIBN the "Live Nassau Coliseum 76 - Diamond Dogs" on it instead of David Bowie. Is it that way on the Gold Discs?
20171031_184714.jpg

July 26th, 2018, 12:16 pm #8

kmviera wrote: One thing I noticed on WCIBN the "Live Nassau Coliseum 76 - Diamond Dogs" on it instead of David Bowie. Is it that way on the Gold Discs?
Going by the uproar towards the last box set because of the fault in the Heroes track I’d say we would certainly have heard about it if an official set contained such a major flaw as that.

Since we haven’t as far as I know, I’d say no
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

July 26th, 2018, 5:46 pm #9

My Five Years Box set from China is a bit messed up as you can see. But They play perfect.
20171226_204613.jpg

August 11th, 2018, 11:05 am #10

Got the 1st 3 of these sets somewhere at home , i thing i split the things up and made some money on Fleesebay !

September 14th, 2018, 5:00 pm #11

Ordered the (Chinese) New Career box, which is now in customs :( I was hoping to avoid additonal cost but this will at least add €20 to the €27 I paid for it...
I knew I would be taking this risk though
Last edited by oakey1973 on September 18th, 2018, 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

September 16th, 2018, 6:41 pm #12

oakey1973 wrote: Ordered the New Career box, which is now in customs :( I was hoping to avoid additonal cost but this will at least add €20 to the €27 I paid for it...
I knew I would be taking this risk though
I bought Berlin 78 and had to pay £23 custom charges, i will never buy anything again from America!!!