complete list of known outtakes/unreleased projects?

complete list of known outtakes/unreleased projects?

February 1st, 2016, 12:44 am #1

Like everyone else, I've been in shock, grieving and listening to nothing but Bowie since the announcement. It dawned on me a few days ago that although we have lost him to history, almost none of us met or knew him on a personal level; which means we still have him as we've always had him - though his music. And now that it's been sort of announced that he planned a number of releases for the years ahead, I would like to, at least in one thread, discuss what we know is stuck in his vault, so we can have some fun and speculate on future releases. Is there a place where an exhaustive list of his projects and non-releases have been compiled? If not, can we create one here, maybe make it a sticky? I'm sure we would all like to get back to speculating.

Here is a thread I found on the old teenagewildlife site - it's a bit old and some things have been identified. Is there a list somewhere already put together on bowiewonderworld?

http://www.teenagewildlife.com/Interact ... anded&sb=5
Last edited by changeng on February 2nd, 2016, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 1st, 2016, 10:25 pm #2

February 2nd, 2016, 7:15 am #3

Like everyone else, I've been in shock, grieving and listening to nothing but Bowie since the announcement. It dawned on me a few days ago that although we have lost him to history, almost none of us met or knew him on a personal level; which means we still have him as we've always had him - though his music. And now that it's been sort of announced that he planned a number of releases for the years ahead, I would like to, at least in one thread, discuss what we know is stuck in his vault, so we can have some fun and speculate on future releases. Is there a place where an exhaustive list of his projects and non-releases have been compiled? If not, can we create one here, maybe make it a sticky? I'm sure we would all like to get back to speculating.

Here is a thread I found on the old teenagewildlife site - it's a bit old and some things have been identified. Is there a list somewhere already put together on bowiewonderworld?

here's my list.
not the list of what I have by the way, a list of what is 'out there'.
plus not updated in a few months so a few extras like the Chilly Down alt version and the Blackstar tracks of course.
may be other things i'm missing.
not included are things like the early TMWSTW tape mentioned by Pegg with unfinished mixes.
BBc sessions (tv and radio) are included with bootleg tracks but other radio tracks are only where officially released.
live tracks are only there if on b-sides etc, not live albums.
and where a song was only ever performed live, eg Imagine, that's in too.

all of this is drawn from IdbD, Pegg, Cann etc.
some treasures in there yet to be heard for sure.

Personally i'm most intrigued by Ernie Johnson - been hanging out to hear that for decades.
one day i hope.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4K9wE ... sp=sharing

I'm working on a site that will include this info so please don't republish this list, it's taken a lot of hard work to complete!
Last edited by attfiecz on February 2nd, 2016, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 2nd, 2016, 11:34 am #4

I'm still waiting to see Jeff Rougvie"s list with all songs released and unreleased by Rykodisc

February 2nd, 2016, 7:06 pm #5

One of the more intriguing posts from that TW thread (in case no one here clicked on it)included -

* Bowie's aborted second album for Decca (had titles such as 'Reverend Raymond Brown' and 'Threepenny Joe').

* Arnold Corns sessions

* 15 songs written for '1984' the musical. 5 further tracks for 'The Ziggy Stardust Show'.

* The Man Who Fell to Earth soundtrack

* 30 outtakes from Low were 'looked at' by Bowie and Eno for release on RYKO.

* Demos of 'Loving The Alien' and 'Dancing with the Big Boys' apparently far superior according to Bowie

* In the mid 80s, 30 songs written with Iggy Pop on guitars up in the mountains. Only 5 Bowie / Pop compositions made it on to Blah Blah Blah.

* Never Let Me Down demos (apparently all songs were written before entering the studio!).

* Music for La La La Human Steps. As late as 1994, Bowie mentioned he had several hours worth of material written for the dance troupe. “I've also been working again with the dance group La La La Human Steps, writing music for them to perform. and we've got HOURS OF STUFF TO SORT OUT - we've had no notion of the maketplace in mind. It's an honest, healthy approach for an artist to work only for yourself.” – MOJO, October, 1994.

* Bowie and Gabrels concept album based on Steven Berkoff's 1983 Cockney melodrama West. The only known song to originate from these sessions is 'King of Stamford Hill' which later turned up on a Gabrels solo album.

* Bowie's aborted late 80s solo album (recorded in LA with Bryan Adams band and Bon Jovi's producer).

* Bowie's wedding music. Some of the material was subsequently used as a basis for some of the tracks on Black Tie White Noise, for instance, ‘The Wedding’ and ‘The Wedding Song’.

* 35 hours of material from the Outside sessions. Apparently three full albums worth of material were completed.

* Reportedly, an album of acoustic songs was scheduled for release in 1997/98. During television, radio and live appearances, Bowie began to perform both his older and more recent songs completely stripped back.

* Eight Bowie/Gabrels originals for the soundtrack of computer game Omikron. Bowie pointed out that he wanted "to give a warmth and heart" to the soundtrack for the game, rather than the "cold emotional drive" seen in most current games.

* 100 songs written for Hours.

* Toy (including a remake of Bowie's first single 'Liza Jane').

* 23 songs from the first lot of Heathen sessions with drummer Matt Chamberlain who has said 'I sort of remember that alot of the songs didn't have vocals on them when I cut them---they were instrumental pieces and they ranged from very aggro to beautiful and ambient'

Can anyone comment on these?
Last edited by changeng on February 2nd, 2016, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 3rd, 2016, 1:39 pm #6

Interesting. Where did they get These Information?
I knew about the slated seconded Decca Album (wasnt it called Ernie Johnson?), the Arnold Corns sessions and the mysterious TMWFTE Soundtrack. And of course the Outside/Leon outtakes.

To add to this list which predates both TND and Blackstar, here is what we know since 2013:

- according to TV 29 Songs were recorded for TND. 14 were released on the Album and 8 new tracks on TND Extra. Leaves us with 7 Songs from those sessions yet to be released. In March 2014 TV already mentioned that he thinks 2-3 Songs from those sessions would deserve a release in the future.

- Apparently 15-16 Songs were recorded during the Blackstar sessions Jan-March 2015 according to McCaslin. 7 of those are on the Album. leaves us with 8-9 tracks that are not yet released. If you Count the 3 new tracks for the lazarus Musical (4 in total, but Lazarus is on blackstar) in there. then we are still left with 5-6 Songs that are unreleased. this is more or less in line with the press coverage which says that 5 more tracks are there for a future deluxe Edition of blackstar.

- we also know that DB has demoed 5 Songs for the follow-up Album for blackstar. I understand that These are different Songs than those coming from the blackstar sessions.

- Eno said that he has discussed with DB about a follow-up to Outside. I wonder if the 5 Demos are actually for outside 2 or are altogether something else.

We should also not Forget that a lot of DBs Songs also exist as Demos (like Whore 2014). So next to unreleased tracks maybe at one Point we also get some the preceding Demos.

Altogether and just stemming from the period 2011-2015 alone we should expect:
- 3-7 tracks from TND sessions (2011-2012)
- 3 songs written for Lazarus (2014-2015)
- 5-6 tracks from Blackstar sessions (2015)
- 5 Demos for Blackstar follow-up (2015)
Total 16 - 20 songs

February 3rd, 2016, 3:41 pm #7

One of the more intriguing posts from that TW thread (in case no one here clicked on it)included -

* Bowie's aborted second album for Decca (had titles such as 'Reverend Raymond Brown' and 'Threepenny Joe').

* Arnold Corns sessions

* 15 songs written for '1984' the musical. 5 further tracks for 'The Ziggy Stardust Show'.

* The Man Who Fell to Earth soundtrack

* 30 outtakes from Low were 'looked at' by Bowie and Eno for release on RYKO.

* Demos of 'Loving The Alien' and 'Dancing with the Big Boys' apparently far superior according to Bowie

* In the mid 80s, 30 songs written with Iggy Pop on guitars up in the mountains. Only 5 Bowie / Pop compositions made it on to Blah Blah Blah.

* Never Let Me Down demos (apparently all songs were written before entering the studio!).

* Music for La La La Human Steps. As late as 1994, Bowie mentioned he had several hours worth of material written for the dance troupe. “I've also been working again with the dance group La La La Human Steps, writing music for them to perform. and we've got HOURS OF STUFF TO SORT OUT - we've had no notion of the maketplace in mind. It's an honest, healthy approach for an artist to work only for yourself.” – MOJO, October, 1994.

* Bowie and Gabrels concept album based on Steven Berkoff's 1983 Cockney melodrama West. The only known song to originate from these sessions is 'King of Stamford Hill' which later turned up on a Gabrels solo album.

* Bowie's aborted late 80s solo album (recorded in LA with Bryan Adams band and Bon Jovi's producer).

* Bowie's wedding music. Some of the material was subsequently used as a basis for some of the tracks on Black Tie White Noise, for instance, ‘The Wedding’ and ‘The Wedding Song’.

* 35 hours of material from the Outside sessions. Apparently three full albums worth of material were completed.

* Reportedly, an album of acoustic songs was scheduled for release in 1997/98. During television, radio and live appearances, Bowie began to perform both his older and more recent songs completely stripped back.

* Eight Bowie/Gabrels originals for the soundtrack of computer game Omikron. Bowie pointed out that he wanted "to give a warmth and heart" to the soundtrack for the game, rather than the "cold emotional drive" seen in most current games.

* Toy (including a remake of Bowie's first single 'Liza Jane').

* 23 songs from the first lot of Heathen sessions with drummer Matt Chamberlain who has said 'I sort of remember that alot of the songs didn't have vocals on them when I cut them---they were instrumental pieces and they ranged from very aggro to beautiful and ambient'

Can anyone comment on these?

'Threepenny Joe' = 'Threepenny Pierrot'? Could be one and the same since there's no official title for the song from 'Looking Glass Murders', everyone just calls it 'Threepenny Pierrot' based on the first line of the song.

A HUNDRED, seriously?? That seems beyond unlikely. I'd guess that '100' is a typo for '10'.

So not "songs" then, just bits of backing track.

February 3rd, 2016, 3:50 pm #8

The abandoned second Decca Album, was it the Ernie Johnson tapes?

I had almost forgotten that there were actually 10 songs recorded around February 1968. Quoted from illustrated db Website:

Although Kenn Pitt mentioned it briefly in his book "The Pitt Report", it wasn't until 1996 that came to light that Bowie in 1968 had written his own rock opera. Offered for auction at Christie's in London (on June 6th) was a tape and a set of lyrics. The rather bizarre plot of the Ernie Johnson rock opera was described in Record Collector 202, p. 94-95: "Ernie's staging a suicide party, at which Tiny Tim is one of the guests (cue a song); Ernie remembers his passing loves from the previous year; he has a racist conversation with a tramp; sings a song to himself in the mirror; rushes of to Carnaby Street to buy a tie for the big occasion of his suicide—and there the song and stage directions come to an end." So far, Record Collector is the only source of information, as it failed to sell at the auction. Apparently the cassette was sold and offered on eBay in 2005, but it failed to sell as it was pulled after legal interference.

Recorded probably in February 1968, the Ernie Johnson tape includes ten songs, recorded by David on a four-track tape recorder:

Tiny Tim (Bowie): the opening song contains camp lyrics such as "Your friend, he's really rather bona/A cultivated stud, Tim?/You're wearing high drag, but your eyes/Have a teensy weensy sad, dad/I'' keep it mum, dad."

Where's The Loo (Bowie): described by Record Collector as "a comic extravanganza for three cockney party-goers".

Season Folk (Bowie): described as "ultra-romantic, falling midway between the cynical idealism of 'London Boys' and Bowie's later open-eyed worship of the Warhol-scene".

Just a Moment Sir (Bowie): notorious for its lyrics, a dialogue between a tramp and Ernie about the problems of "nig-nogs".

Various Times Of Day (Bowie): a suite of songs including 'Early Morning', Noon-Lunchtime' and 'Evening'.

Ernie Boy (Bowie): Ernie's dramatic monologue, complete with an ad-libbed intro: "Suicide isn't something I've always wanted to do... I'm not running away, I know who I am".

This Is My Day (Bowie): Ernie celebrates his forthcoming self-destruction.

Untitled (Bowie): the last, untitled track of the rock opera, has Ernie visiting a Carnaby Street boutique: "Just look at the quality of our shirts/That's not a stain, sir/That's a psychedelic motif."

Tagged after the Ernie Johnson mini-opera are three more songs:

Going Down (Bowie): described by RC as "a long, fragmentary, maybe unfinished song".

Love You Till Tuesday (Bowie): the familiar demo. Click the icon to listen!

Over The Wall We Go (Bowie): also available on acetate, this song to found its way to fans.

http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/ernie.htm

February 5th, 2016, 12:18 pm #9

I have often wondered if the section of "The Bewlay Brothers" which begins "lay me place and bake me pie..." originated from "Ernie Johnson". It has a sound that would not be out of place on "Teenage Opera"/"Oliver".

I remember reading that Bowie regretted allowing "Sweet Head" onto the RYCO releases. If that is the standard of material still in the vaults it would be amazing. However, I would be surprised.

There are probably lots of unreleasable (to the general publics tastes) instrumental demos. I'm sure we'd all love to hear them though
Last edited by neilio2 on February 5th, 2016, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2018, 2:48 am #10

after Shindig magazine release, i was hoping a 1968 album release

July 11th, 2018, 6:05 am #11

MGOSCH wrote: after Shindig magazine release, i was hoping a 1968 album release
Interesting point...50 years ago.

Perhaps wishful thinking / hinting on the writer's part?

I also found it interesting reading recently that In the Heat of the Morning was originally planned as the centrepiece of the abandoned 1968 Deram album.

July 11th, 2018, 12:41 pm #12

i didn't understand why Bowienet even made a tracklist

July 11th, 2018, 4:13 pm #13

I would add the 5 (?) songs he wrote and demo'de with Queen. Brian May says they exist. Tonight, NLMD albums all had demo versions as well as the already stated Lets Dance. The original early seventies recording of Scary Monsters mentioned by Iggy Pop. The Marc Bolan recordings he did in 75 in L.A.. Don't know if he wrote these. The demo recordings of the Labyrinth songs are there somewhere. Heard Chilly Down and its great/crazy lol. The 8 (?) songs from Lodger that were recorded but never used. The trouble I have with these lists is this. Bowie nearly always left the vocals till the end of the session (s). By then he generally knew which tracks out of all that were recorded, he was going to use so I would imagine there are a lot of the tracks listed above, that have no vocals or just a guide vocal. Hope I'm wrong.

Cheers to all x
Jx

"You prey till the break of dawn"

July 15th, 2018, 5:30 pm #14

There's an old chat about an álbum recorded between Lodger and Scary Monsters.