Box set 3

Box set 3

May 3rd, 2017, 1:17 am #1

I know there has been much discussion already on a third box set following who can I be now and Five Years but I really would like to know what month it was last year those photos of Bowie on the motorcycle came out on the net exposing that the Who can I be now box was on its way at some point and when did they officially announce the box set was due in September?
Sorry for the punctuation or lack of. Anyone know anything? Can anyone atleast say something is happening without breaking any rules?

May 3rd, 2017, 1:27 am #2

This boxset will be the only one That's struck my interest. Question is what time span wil lit cover. 1977-1979 or 1977-1980? All will be revealed In July I reckon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

May 3rd, 2017, 1:40 am #3

I think in the fall again so yes I guess late summertime we will hear.
I kinda hope scary monsters/baal etc will be included as the end of the rca era, unless they decide to do a separate release for scary monsters.

I'm actually looking more forward to the 80s boxset as potentially I think it could be more interesting for bonus stuff. there's little official live recordings from this period only montreal 87 so I can see something from the serious moonlight tour included.
plus I wouldn't be surprised if dance gets a release of sorts.a kind of lost album along the lines of the gouster.

May 3rd, 2017, 1:46 am #4

Now it's time for another kind of boxset, a boxset with only rarities or at least an anniversary album deluxe edition.

May 3rd, 2017, 2:16 am #5

I kinda hope scary monsters/baal etc will be included as the end of the rca era, unless they decide to do a separate release for scary monsters.

I'm actually looking more forward to the 80s boxset as potentially I think it could be more interesting for bonus stuff. there's little official live recordings from this period only montreal 87 so I can see something from the serious moonlight tour included.
plus I wouldn't be surprised if dance gets a release of sorts.a kind of lost album along the lines of the gouster.
"plus I wouldn't be surprised if dance gets a release of sorts.a kind of lost album along the lines of the gouster."

We will probably get the album Dance, which was a special remix album, THOUGH i HAVE A HUNCH IT WAS NEVER MADE. . No doubt they will add Scary Monsters and Baal to that box set to boost interest. We shall see.

EDIT:

“Back in November 1985 David Bowie’s record company, EMI, had planned to release a compilation album featuring dance remixes from a couple of Bowie’s recent albums. The name of the album was imaginatively titled Dance [EMI ST-17175]. Each track on the proposed release was to receive additional production and mixing by Rusty Garner and Paul Sabu. The track listing was as follows:

Loving The Alien
Let’s Dance
Shake It
Blue Jean
China Girl
Dancing With The Big Boys
Modern Love

However, the album was withdrawn from EMI’s release schedule and it did not come to pass. No vinyl or CDs were pressed. A number of printer proofs for the sleeve were created. […] Before all the sleeves for the album were destroyed a few were salvaged and others were used as packaging material for other albums as delivered to retail outlets. These were subsequently passed on to fans.”
Last edited by ziggythecowboy on May 3rd, 2017, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 3rd, 2017, 4:08 am #6

oddly I've just seen on david bowie news a headline. coming soon news on the next bowie boxset to follow who can I be now.

May 3rd, 2017, 4:19 am #7

Buy the same records again and again,Gouster album was a joke, apart Can You Hear Me(same bootlegs version).The next box will have New Music Night and Day with Tony Visconti different mixes.

May 3rd, 2017, 4:44 am #8

and a remixed version of Lodger

May 3rd, 2017, 6:42 am #9

oddly I've just seen on david bowie news a headline. coming soon news on the next bowie boxset to follow who can I be now.
Where was this news headline? I can't find it.

May 3rd, 2017, 8:11 am #10

bowie news. the unofficial group. nicks site.

May 3rd, 2017, 10:06 am #11

I know there has been much discussion already on a third box set following who can I be now and Five Years but I really would like to know what month it was last year those photos of Bowie on the motorcycle came out on the net exposing that the Who can I be now box was on its way at some point and when did they officially announce the box set was due in September?
Sorry for the punctuation or lack of. Anyone know anything? Can anyone atleast say something is happening without breaking any rules?
Prediction: will be called Fantastic Voyage and include Scary Monsters.

May 3rd, 2017, 10:45 am #12

"Prediction: will be called Fantastic Voyage and include Scary Monsters. "

I reckon Speed of Life and as for SM. well I hope so

May 3rd, 2017, 11:50 am #13

Even if it just has the Eno trilogy, there are loads of songs that could be the title. A New Career In A New Town, Art Decade, Fantastic Voyage, Planned Accidents, Move On...

Maybe it will contain:

1. Some sort of intended TMWFTE soundtrack. Basically an alternative Low.
2. Low
4. Low live at Meltdown 2002
4. Heroes
5. Original Stage
6. 2005 mix / running order of Stage
7. Lodger
8. Planned Accidents (an alternative version of Lodger)
9. The RYKO rarities, plus single edits on one disc (Helden, Some Are, Abdulmajid, I Pray Ole, etc...)

May 3rd, 2017, 12:04 pm #14

To do most of these things, it'd have to break entirely with the format set by the previous two. The smart money has to be on:
the regular albums up to (surely) SM, two versions of Stage (pointless but makes up the space)possibly a remixed lodger as planned accidents and a couple of discs of single edits no one wants or needs.

i'm in!

Last edited by the_starman on May 3rd, 2017, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 3rd, 2017, 12:10 pm #15

I agree with Jon, based on the previous boxes. Does anyone actually have any of the supposed TMWFTE material? I honestly don't think he was ever that keen on works in progress being released at all..........cos usually he'd moved on.

May 3rd, 2017, 3:33 pm #16

Clue is on the b-side of the Be My Wife 40th release - live album in box set?

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/bowiene ... tm#bmw40th

May 3rd, 2017, 3:52 pm #17

oh...

I wonder if this means instead of the original "Stage" they'll swop it out for a recording from Perth...

Personally, I think the original "Stage" is so bad, it should be "Too Dizzy"-ed out, if you know what I mean.

May 3rd, 2017, 4:56 pm #18

Stage wasn't too clever was it! I prefer the Austrian boot We can be heroes or Baton Rouge which I think is really good, never went much on Slaughter in the Air, crappy speeded recording imho.
But the Be my Wife 40th looks good and at last something interesting as the b-side.

May 3rd, 2017, 5:05 pm #19

The idea of these boxsets was to collect all officially released material from every period. A good idea, but I wonder how they're gonna present all the available remixes of the 80's and 90's. How may CD's and vinyls will it take to include all?
And do we need all the Moby-remixes of Dead Man Walking (which more or less sounds the same), and what about all extended dance and dub mixes of the Tonight-material? Tumble & Twirl? Dancing With The Big Boys?
Let's hope they change the idea, and include live material and demoes

May 3rd, 2017, 5:12 pm #20

Clue is on the b-side of the Be My Wife 40th release - live album in box set?

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/bowiene ... tm#bmw40th
The clues on the Spanish vinyl are far more interesting. Title tracks (Afraid of Americans and "Heroes", photo in Mexico in front of a wall, location of photo and Mexican artist background (Frida Kahlo Museum, her art - self portrait at Mex/US border - and fight for LBGT) and the colours of the Russian flag of the disc and label. Equals middle finger @Potus.
Last edited by FTcollector on May 3rd, 2017, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 3rd, 2017, 5:27 pm #21

Art Decade 77-87 that would be a real box set

May 3rd, 2017, 5:53 pm #22

And I guess this would be Re:Call 3? Did I miss anything?

1. Breaking Glass (Australian extended edit)
2. "Heroes" (single edit)
3. Helden (German single version)
3. Herós (French single version)
4. Beauty and the Beast (extended edit)
5. Soul Love (live single edit)
6. DJ (single edit)
7. Yassassin (Dutch single edit)
8. Alabama Song
9. Space Oddity (1979 version)
10. Crystal Japan
11. Ashes to Ashes (single version)
12. Fashion (single version)
13. Scary Monsters (single version)
14. Under Pressure (w/ Queen)

May 3rd, 2017, 6:30 pm #23

Jeez!!!

Who's gonna buy that?

May 3rd, 2017, 6:59 pm #24

And I guess this would be Re:Call 3? Did I miss anything?

1. Breaking Glass (Australian extended edit)
2. "Heroes" (single edit)
3. Helden (German single version)
3. Herós (French single version)
4. Beauty and the Beast (extended edit)
5. Soul Love (live single edit)
6. DJ (single edit)
7. Yassassin (Dutch single edit)
8. Alabama Song
9. Space Oddity (1979 version)
10. Crystal Japan
11. Ashes to Ashes (single version)
12. Fashion (single version)
13. Scary Monsters (single version)
14. Under Pressure (w/ Queen)
I guess they'd probably add:
the longer versions of the Frech and German "Heroes" as well
Panic in Detroit (1979 version) - take it back from Heathen
Low sampler single - since they included the STS edit in the last one?

If you added in Baal as well, to get to the end of the RCA years, there's probably enough for two Re:Call 3 disks, with a bit of space left. Might even be room for the original Cat People and Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy!

Then with Low, "Heroes", Stage version 1 (2 disks), Stage version 2 (2 disks), Lodger, Scary Monsters and Re:Call 2 (2 disks) you'd have 10 disks, which they seem to be sticking to for these box sets.

If they didn't include Scary Monsters, there'd potentially be two disks less as all the Re:Call tracks would probably fit on one disk, so even if there was an alternative Lodger added in then that might only be 9? Unless you included Peter and the Wolf as a separate disk as well I suppose...?

I think anything else would be kept back for separate releases, as we're seeing small hints (especially from the picture disks) of what else they're looking at, such as Boston '72, Vancouver '83, Carnegie Hall '72? Plus Cracked Actor on CD, and possibly a complete BBC sessions set in a while, and whatever they might choose to do with collecting rare and unreleased studio tracks/demos/etc.

May 3rd, 2017, 7:01 pm #25

Jeez!!!

Who's gonna buy that?
.. of Stage Isolar II show will hopefully be included.

May 3rd, 2017, 7:14 pm #26

I guess they'd probably add:
the longer versions of the Frech and German "Heroes" as well
Panic in Detroit (1979 version) - take it back from Heathen
Low sampler single - since they included the STS edit in the last one?

If you added in Baal as well, to get to the end of the RCA years, there's probably enough for two Re:Call 3 disks, with a bit of space left. Might even be room for the original Cat People and Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy!

Then with Low, "Heroes", Stage version 1 (2 disks), Stage version 2 (2 disks), Lodger, Scary Monsters and Re:Call 2 (2 disks) you'd have 10 disks, which they seem to be sticking to for these box sets.

If they didn't include Scary Monsters, there'd potentially be two disks less as all the Re:Call tracks would probably fit on one disk, so even if there was an alternative Lodger added in then that might only be 9? Unless you included Peter and the Wolf as a separate disk as well I suppose...?

I think anything else would be kept back for separate releases, as we're seeing small hints (especially from the picture disks) of what else they're looking at, such as Boston '72, Vancouver '83, Carnegie Hall '72? Plus Cracked Actor on CD, and possibly a complete BBC sessions set in a while, and whatever they might choose to do with collecting rare and unreleased studio tracks/demos/etc.
doubt they will break the format they have set and include the Perth show.
more likely they will do a live series boxset at some point for that and cracked actor etc.
cracked actor should have been in the last box in place of original david live and Perth the same instead of original stage.

can we assume Perth is soundboard then?

May 3rd, 2017, 7:22 pm #27

David Bowie's Revolutionary Song

May 3rd, 2017, 7:42 pm #28

The Bing Cosby show version of Heroes maybe. and Crystal Japan if Scary Monsters is included.
Last edited by ziggythecowboy on May 3rd, 2017, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 3rd, 2017, 7:42 pm #29

David Bowie's Revolutionary Song
I realied later that I did indeed forget some such as the 'Low' sampler, Rebolutionary Song, Peace on Earth, and maybe even the US mono version of Look Back in Anger? Didn't know about the full length German and French "Heroes", if that may be too much, or Panic in Detroit since that wasn't officially released at the time

May 3rd, 2017, 8:08 pm #30

Since I was fairly accurate with the last one, here's what I say about this one (going based off of the precedents set for the previous 2 boxes):

Low
Heroes
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Stage (original mix)(2 discs)
Stage (2005 mix)(2 discs)
Lodger (new mix)
Re:Call 3

That puts it at 10 discs, unless Re:Call ends up being a 2 disc set, at which point the set is 11 discs, both numbers being close to the previous sets, as well as finishing up the RCA catalogue.

Also, if Baal is included, I could see it as either being part of Re:Call 3 or on a separate disc

May 3rd, 2017, 8:30 pm #31

i don't think you be far wrong there j squared.

I hope they don't include Peter and Wolf that would be plain silly.

cristianne f?

May 3rd, 2017, 8:40 pm #32

They should call it Repetition.

May 3rd, 2017, 9:11 pm #33

I find that bulking up the Re:calls with single edits and mono versions is a real cop out.

May 3rd, 2017, 9:31 pm #34

Since I was fairly accurate with the last one, here's what I say about this one (going based off of the precedents set for the previous 2 boxes):

Low
Heroes
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Stage (original mix)(2 discs)
Stage (2005 mix)(2 discs)
Lodger (new mix)

That puts it at 10 discs, unless Re:Call ends up being a 2 disc set, at which point the set is 11 discs, both numbers being close to the previous sets, as well as finishing up the RCA catalogue.

Also, if Baal is included, I could see it as either being part of Re:Call 3 or on a separate disc
Where is Scary Monsters?

May 3rd, 2017, 10:02 pm #35

"Where is Scary Monsters?"

That's the big question. Will it or won't it be on the next boxset? or will it be bundled in with next year's one? (if there is one).

May 3rd, 2017, 10:06 pm #36

it can't go in with the beginning of the emi series which starts with let's dance.
that won't sit right.
the next box should end the rca years.

May 3rd, 2017, 10:13 pm #37

I agree but they may put it in to boost sales of the next one. I hope I'm wrong of course.

EDIT: Actually it would be better to end it on Baal.
Last edited by ziggythecowboy on May 3rd, 2017, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2017, 3:49 am #38

Well they could put SM in its own box with an early versions disc and other stuff from after '79....at a stretch.....maybe....not

May 4th, 2017, 7:11 am #39

It's a tricky one to call. Volume of discs-wise, I say not. Which would make a smart set for the next one covering the 80s.

However, adding it would boost the sales I'm sure.

I think they kind of muffed the series by year selection on the first one.

May 4th, 2017, 12:39 pm #40

While Scary Monsters was in the 80s, it fits in better with his late 70s material. So I would include Scary Monsters in this upcoming box set.

That would leave Let's Dance, Tonight, NLMD and various soundtracks to round out the 80s for Box Set #4. This set could go all the way until the Sound + Vision tour (which perhaps we will finally see an official release of). Not sure how they will treat the Tin Machine material, but I believe if they do it, it should be a separate box of it's own.

May 4th, 2017, 2:46 pm #41

My thoughts (I think they'll ignore or separate Tin Machine:-

Box Set 3:-
Low
Heroes
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Stage original mix
Stage new mix

Box Set 4:-
Let's Dance
Tonight
Never Let Me Down
Black Tie White Noise
Serious Moonlight live
Glass Spider live
Re:Call 4

Box Set 5:-
Buddha of Suburbia
Outside
Earthling
Hours
Toy
Bowie Live.com
Re:Call 5

Box Set 6:-
Heathen
Reality
The Next Day
Blackstar
Heathen Meltdown Festival (my one bit of wishful thinking!)
Reality Live
Re:Call 6

May 4th, 2017, 3:28 pm #42

The thing is, we don't know for sure if there will be other sets. Wasn't the point of these sets to round up all the official RCA stuff? If that's the case, then we very well may not get sets covering post-Scary Monsters.

Regarding Christaine F. (or however it's spelled), I doubt they'll put the soundtrack in the set; probably just the few unique edits that are on it, which would go on Re:Call 3.

Obviously this means no demos, and I highly doubt we'll get the 1979 version of Panic in Detroit, as it wasn't released at that time (much like how we didn't get "Sweet Head" in the first box, as it wasn't an official release until many years later).

This set will go no later than the Baal EP at most

May 4th, 2017, 4:59 pm #43

Parlophone Records are proud to announce DAVID BOWIE FIVE YEARS 1969 – 1973, the first in a series of box sets spanning his career.

So 'spanning his career' was stated in june 2015 at first box announcement.

May 4th, 2017, 5:11 pm #44

There's nothing in them we haven't got.

I'd love Perth 78.

May 4th, 2017, 5:26 pm #45

Who started this thread this anyway... if they sent the profits to the cancer agencies or refugee relief I'd consider it otherwise the greedy fuckers can kiss my ass

May 4th, 2017, 5:59 pm #46

Low
Heroes
Lodger
+ Lodger TV "Remix / Remaster"
Scary Monsters
Stage
Live Recording from Perth

...which would be ten discs

Re:Call 3 will have the edits (some of which, would be nice to finally have in higher quality - like the extended mixes of "Breaking Glass" and "Beauty and the Beast")

I doubt that Christianne F will be on it, as so much of it will already be in the box set

May 4th, 2017, 6:11 pm #47

My thoughts (I think they'll ignore or separate Tin Machine:-

Low
Heroes
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Stage original mix
Stage new mix

Let's Dance
Tonight
Never Let Me Down
Black Tie White Noise
Serious Moonlight live
Glass Spider live

Buddha of Suburbia
Outside
Earthling
Hours
Toy
Bowie Live.com

Heathen
Reality
The Next Day
Blackstar
Heathen Meltdown Festival (my one bit of wishful thinking!)
Reality Live
I took your template and made a few changes/additions (***)

Low
Heroes
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Baal***
Stage original mix
Stage new mix

Let's Dance
Tonight
Never Let Me Down
Dance*** (unreleased remix album)
Bowie at the Movies*** (Bowie's 80s movie compilation)
Serious Moonlight Live
Glass Spider Live
Sound + Vision Live in Japan***

Black Tie White Noise***
Buddha of Suburbia
1. Outside
Earthling
Hours
Liveandwell.com***
Bowie's 50th Birthday Celebration***
Bowie Live at Glastonbury 2000***

Toy***
Heathen
Reality
The Next Day
Blackstar
No Plan EP***
Heathen Live at the Meltdown Festival
Reality Live
Last edited by v2david on May 4th, 2017, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2017, 10:23 pm #48

The thing is, we don't know for sure if there will be other sets. Wasn't the point of these sets to round up all the official RCA stuff? If that's the case, then we very well may not get sets covering post-Scary Monsters.

Regarding Christaine F. (or however it's spelled), I doubt they'll put the soundtrack in the set; probably just the few unique edits that are on it, which would go on Re:Call 3.

Obviously this means no demos, and I highly doubt we'll get the 1979 version of Panic in Detroit, as it wasn't released at that time (much like how we didn't get "Sweet Head" in the first box, as it wasn't an official release until many years later).

"Obviously this means no demos, and I highly doubt we'll get the 1979 version of Panic in Detroit, as it wasn't released at that time"

well it was on the Ryko SM along with the Kenny Everett Space Oddity version from the same session. No doubt those as well as Crystal Japan and Moon of Alabama will be on there if SM is. Actually it would be quite fitting to end it with the Kenny Everett Space Oddity version.

May 5th, 2017, 12:35 am #49

"Velvet Goldmine" was in the first box and wasn't released at the time...

May 5th, 2017, 1:34 am #50

"Velvet Goldmine" was officially released as a b-side; since it was recorded during the Ziggy era, it made more sense to include it in the first box.

"Panic in Detroit 1979" was on the Ryko SM, but not officially before then, just like "Sweet Head", which we did not get on the first box. Unless they decide to make an exception or exclusive, it won't be included
Last edited by bv3problems on May 5th, 2017, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.