BOWIE VS. DYLAN Podcast

August 2nd, 2018, 9:15 pm #1

I just want to quickly share a podcast I'm involved in that people round these parts may be interested in:

BOWIE VS. DYLAN  is a hard-hitting podcast that shines a spotlight on a controversial issue dividing our nation today: who's better, David Bowie or Bob Dylan? New episodes on the 1st and the 15th.

The 10th episode just went live yesterday, and there are several text-only blog posts as well. We're on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, Podbean, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrry, PlayerFM... the list goes on. Actually, it doesn't. That was all of them.

Or just follow us on Facebook and/or Twitter, or visit www.bowievsdylan.com.

Gratuitous advertisement over.
Main Logo.jpg
Main Logo.jpg

August 2nd, 2018, 10:09 pm #2

I'd say that was a pointless exercise if ever I heard one. However, to take your bait I would offer my own subjective take which is that I love both artists. It blows my mind how prolific Dylan was but he cannot eclipse the joy that Bowie brings to me. In pure numbers I have 1 day 15 hours 45 minutes and 34 seconds of Dylan music, whereas I have 3 days 12 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds of Bowie music. I don't need lots of versions of the same song by Dylan, I do with Bowie. So how are we measuring this?

August 2nd, 2018, 10:22 pm #3

Again pointless, why have a Bowie v Dylan debate on a Bowie blog?

August 3rd, 2018, 1:32 am #4

Who is Dylan?😉
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍

August 3rd, 2018, 4:58 am #5

Just some guy 'with a voice like sand and glue'.

August 3rd, 2018, 6:35 am #6

Or a bad drug habit
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍

August 3rd, 2018, 12:19 pm #7

west406 wrote: Again pointless, why have a Bowie v Dylan debate on a Bowie blog?
Cuz I’m on the Bowie side of the issue and I need supporters! The other host is on the Dylan side of all this.

Oh hear this, Robert Zimmerman...

August 3rd, 2018, 2:22 pm #8

Who's 'better'?
1) It's subjective.
2) It's not a competition.
3) I'm not 14, I couldn't give the vaguest.

August 3rd, 2018, 2:27 pm #9

innocentsmith wrote:
west406 wrote: Again pointless, why have a Bowie v Dylan debate on a Bowie blog?
Cuz I’m on the Bowie side of the issue and I need supporters! The other host is on the Dylan side of all this.

Oh hear this, Robert Zimmerman...
It’s quite simple

Ziggy Stardust or The Magic Roundabout?

I think you know which one wins.

August 4th, 2018, 5:31 pm #10

Chalk and cheese, apples and oranges. Dylan’s got a Nobel, Bowie’s in space.
Everyone who heard Dylan picked up a guitar; everyone who heard Bowie bought eyeshadow: both were equally liberating.
"Schtum!"

August 11th, 2018, 5:41 pm #11

Bowie live was usually a lot more interesting that Dylan live.
On the other hand, I`d say Dylan is the better lyricist.

I have a modest collection of live Dylan recordings as well as a large Bowie one, both amassed by trading during the CD-R by snailmail days. One thing I learnt is that while Dylan fans are more interested in correct dates & set-lists, Bowie fans pay more attention to CD-R artwork!

August 11th, 2018, 5:56 pm #12

_Roman wrote: One thing I learnt is that while Dylan fans are more interested in correct dates & set-lists, Bowie fans pay more attention to CD-R artwork!
Probably because Bowie was more photogenic. I’d also wager that Bowie fans are also more interested in music

August 13th, 2018, 12:23 pm #13

I'd rather have seen Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue than Glass Spider...

August 13th, 2018, 2:16 pm #14

To be honest Dylan has never floated my boat as it were. I mean obviously he is a talent which is why he is so popular, he just doesn’t hold any kind of artistic attraction to me. It’s quite frustrating actually when this happens because I feel like I’m missing out on something.

The same could be said for a lot of artists Bowie liked when he was alive. Some I rate as much as he did, but  quite often it was more a case of yeah well! whatever works for you mate.

I suppose what I’m saying in my usual long winded way is there are no winners or losers, it’s just down to personal choice. Same goes for Bowies 80s, some fans love it, it’s just a shame I don’t.  

I think deep down we all know this to be true, we just don’t like to admit it. Beside if we all admitted it we wouldn’t have as many debates, arguments, and wind ups as we do, and what a boring world that would be. 😉

August 14th, 2018, 9:08 am #15

Yeah, I dunno anything about Bob Dylan, but for Glass Spider Bowie had this nerker called Peter Frampton on guitar, while Dylan had that Mick Ronson bloke, so...

August 14th, 2018, 9:33 am #16

Larranaga wrote: Yeah, I dunno anything about Bob Dylan, but for Glass Spider Bowie had this nerker called Peter Frampton on guitar, while Dylan had that Mick Ronson bloke, so...
When you put it like that you make a very good point actually. Ronson v Frampton, no contest.