BOWIE VARIATIONS: The Full Live Concert and Exclusive Interview with Mike Garson

BOWIE VARIATIONS: The Full Live Concert and Exclusive Interview with Mike Garson

March 2nd, 2012, 4:38 am #1

Part 1 of 4 is now available. It goes for 34 minutes and is available for both streaming and as download as an mp3. This is an awesome interview and concert:

http://www.goingthruvinyl.com/

Last edited by AdamD on March 2nd, 2012, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 2nd, 2012, 4:40 am #2

[David Bowie] is like Miles Davis. He knows who to pick for his bands. Most of the calls he has ever made have been great. A couple of them have been average but most them are phenomenal.

As a producer he has a very uncanny sense of everything that I have ever practiced and developed in my life because I was in my mid 20s when he found me and everything I had studied and played up to that point got utilised on one of his albums or another.

The only thing that hardly got used was like a Be-Bop Jazz solo and that's on the fade out of Dead Man Walking - a long piano fade out which is amazing and some Jazz guy named Geoff Keezer - I ran into him last year - and he said 'Oh I was a big fan of the end of that solo of that thing when I grew up'. He's a tremendous pianist. I said no one has ever mentioned that because it was on a fade out. He of course is a musician.

So everything I have ever done - and if I was to work with again now - all the stuff I have been working on the last 8 years - he would be smart enough to find it and the stuff that I am writing in my classical career now, he would frame it with a rock beat and it would be some version of an Aladdin Sane or Outside album and it would be the new Mike Garson because he knows how to find the best of somebody harmonically, rhythmically, melodically, musically, emotionally and spiritually. That is the genius he has actually. A lot of people don't know that.

~ Mike Garson

March 3rd, 2012, 3:39 pm #3

Part 1 of 4 is now available. It goes for 34 minutes and is available for both streaming and as download as an mp3. This is an awesome interview and concert:

Thanx for the link Adam!

-----------
Claude
Follow @Claude

March 7th, 2012, 12:04 pm #4

</b>

[color=#000099" size="5]<b>The David Bowie Variations with Mike Garson [Exclusive interview and Full Concert]
[/color]

Special Guest: Mike Garson is an improvisational and multi-genre piano icon who is one of the most respected and sought after rock sidemen in the industry. In addition to his side work he has also had a successful solo career in both the classical and jazz worlds as well as worked with some of the most impressive people in music. But the thing Garson is most known for is the work he has done with David Bowie. Having worked with Bowie since his North American Ziggy Stardust tour back in 1972, the amazing stories and insights into Bowie's output helps to add a depth into Bowies art that few, if any, could touch. Through the years, Garson has helped shape some of Bowies most notable songs and albums including; Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, David Live, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Black Tie White Noise, Outside, Buddha of Suburbia, Earthing, Hours, Heathen, and Reality. I met up with Garson when he played live at the Detroit Institute of Arts on December 2 2011 during his Bowie Variations tour promoting his new album. In this podcast, Garson and I talk about his new album Bowie Variations, his reason behind the songs he chose, the Aladdin Sane, and Battle for Britain solo and we get into the genius of David Bowie. In this podcast, Garson and I talk about being micromanaged in the studio, the songs "Bring me the Disco King" and "Time", the albums Young Americans, and Reality, the turmoil in and around the Diamond Dogs tour, and even the latest on David Bowie (aka Davy Jones). P.S. Stay tuned, there could be some news about Bowie coming out with new album in 2012!!!

Part 2/4 - Saying YES to the question of going back on the road again
<b></b>

March 7th, 2012, 2:50 pm #5

Excellent to see part two up. Tuning in now.

March 7th, 2012, 3:34 pm #6

</b>

[color=#000099" size="5]<b>The David Bowie Variations with Mike Garson [Exclusive interview and Full Concert]
[/color]

Special Guest: Mike Garson is an improvisational and multi-genre piano icon who is one of the most respected and sought after rock sidemen in the industry. In addition to his side work he has also had a successful solo career in both the classical and jazz worlds as well as worked with some of the most impressive people in music. But the thing Garson is most known for is the work he has done with David Bowie. Having worked with Bowie since his North American Ziggy Stardust tour back in 1972, the amazing stories and insights into Bowie's output helps to add a depth into Bowies art that few, if any, could touch. Through the years, Garson has helped shape some of Bowies most notable songs and albums including; Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, David Live, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Black Tie White Noise, Outside, Buddha of Suburbia, Earthing, Hours, Heathen, and Reality. I met up with Garson when he played live at the Detroit Institute of Arts on December 2 2011 during his Bowie Variations tour promoting his new album. In this podcast, Garson and I talk about his new album Bowie Variations, his reason behind the songs he chose, the Aladdin Sane, and Battle for Britain solo and we get into the genius of David Bowie. In this podcast, Garson and I talk about being micromanaged in the studio, the songs "Bring me the Disco King" and "Time", the albums Young Americans, and Reality, the turmoil in and around the Diamond Dogs tour, and even the latest on David Bowie (aka Davy Jones). P.S. Stay tuned, there could be some news about Bowie coming out with new album in 2012!!!

Part 2/4 - Saying YES to the question of going back on the road again
<b></b>
Great! Thanx for the link!

-----------
Claude
Follow @Claude

March 7th, 2012, 3:58 pm #7

How good would have this been...

"[David Bowie and I] were supposed to do something just 3 or 4 years ago. He wanted to do one track from all of his 26 albums - the least famous track on all of his 26 albums and he wanted me to do arrangements on all of them with a big band or something. He had a whole concept and I started going and then he lost it." ~ Mike Garson

March 7th, 2012, 4:10 pm #8

Oh God that would have been amazing to hear.

March 7th, 2012, 5:13 pm #9

Thanks for posting this....it was very interesting to listen to.

I agree, the abandoned project does sound like it would have been fascinating.

Oh well...

GeekGurlPhD - now geeking live on Twitter (GeekGurlPhD) and at www.geekgirlsmanifesto.blogspot.com

Calvin on the Nature of Art People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them. But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world. As my artists statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.

<font color="#FF0000">Calvin on the Nature of Life
CALVIN: They say the world is a stage. But obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines.
HOBBES: Maybe thats why its hard to tell if were living in a tragedy or a farce.
CALVIN: We need more special effects and dance numbers.
</font>

March 7th, 2012, 10:50 pm #10

...or it could have been terrible. Remember his update of Rebel Rebel from Charlie's Angels? It wasn't for me I'm afraid.

-----------------------------------------------

March 7th, 2012, 10:54 pm #11

I liked it, is this an unpopular opinion?

March 7th, 2012, 10:59 pm #12

It could be just me Shane.

-----------------------------------------------

March 7th, 2012, 11:08 pm #13

I liked it, is this an unpopular opinion?

like, can you even imagine ..say... "Last of the Dreamers" as a big band production? and it sounding good?

my bet... it was probably something Bowie mentioned around the time he did the re-recording of "Time Will Crawl"

...and kinda confirms (at least for me) that he's totally going through (another) bout of writer's block, but "it doesn't matter as much" to him, b/c where he is in his personal life, and his career.

March 7th, 2012, 11:11 pm #14

<p>Protest song is a masterpiece!</p><p>Some great insight and a few juicy tidbits.</p><p>Thanks MrG very generous of you.</p>

March 7th, 2012, 11:17 pm #15

so if there is a new album due ahem!
it does'nt look like garson is involved.

March 7th, 2012, 11:31 pm #16

Not necessarily true, Mike G says in the interview that Adam has linked for us that db brings him in at the end when he is used

March 14th, 2012, 2:58 pm #17

Part 3 is up. It starts with Mike's discussion of the left over Outside material. Just tuning in now myself.

March 20th, 2012, 1:58 pm #18

Be sure to bump for pt. 4.

March 23rd, 2012, 4:51 pm #19

Bump

March 27th, 2012, 11:23 am #20

Ah! Cheers!