Bowie band gig at Brixton on Sunday

Bowie band gig at Brixton on Sunday

January 5th, 2017, 9:42 pm #1

Hi all

I just wanted to post a message to say that, for anyone who's in London on Sunday and going to the Bowie band gig at Brixton, do you fancy meeting up earlier for a visit to Bowie's South London?

I've done this a couple of times since last Jan, and apart from visiting some of the landmark places such as his old house in Plaistow Grove and the bandstand in Beckenham, it's a chance to explore a part of London that you wouldn't normally get to see.

If anyone fancies it, I'll be at Bromley South Station at 11.30am. It's a fair walk, with a couple of bus rides in between, but hopefully interesting.

Let me know if you're interested - I know it sounds a bit weird but I promise I'm quite harmless!!

Cheers
Paul

January 5th, 2017, 10:22 pm #2

I wish they weren't bits I wouldn't normally get to see......

Will pass, many thanks for the offer though.

What are you hoping for from the gig...?

January 5th, 2017, 10:34 pm #3

Adrian Belew thrashing the hell out of Beauty & The Beast!

Seriously though, just a chance to spend a potentially sad day with Bowie fans, listening to (hopefully) great music.

I don't see this as a cynical ride on the tribute band gravy train, but a chance for his close musical collaborators to celebrate the music.

Hope I'm not disappointed

Paul

January 5th, 2017, 10:53 pm #4

I'm hoping that given the reps of the band members it will be great, and that any guest singers understand what is and is not needed. Said it before but I'd be more than happy for GAD and Cat R to do most of the singing. I honestly can't see them getting in anyone anywhere near db in terms of stardom, and I don't think they'd beat what that band can do. Luv on all of them. It's going to be emotional.

January 5th, 2017, 11:51 pm #5

Nice offer, but I'm busy in the day on Saturday, plus I live in Beckenham anyway!

As for the gig, I've had an email today that doors open at 6.30 and the gig starts at 8 sharp. That's a pretty early start and should give us three hours of music! I'm starting to get excited about it. It's the only tribute I'm going to, it looks very sincere to me and the line up is great so far.

January 7th, 2017, 7:28 pm #6

Hi all

I just wanted to post a message to say that, for anyone who's in London on Sunday and going to the Bowie band gig at Brixton, do you fancy meeting up earlier for a visit to Bowie's South London?

I've done this a couple of times since last Jan, and apart from visiting some of the landmark places such as his old house in Plaistow Grove and the bandstand in Beckenham, it's a chance to explore a part of London that you wouldn't normally get to see.

If anyone fancies it, I'll be at Bromley South Station at 11.30am. It's a fair walk, with a couple of bus rides in between, but hopefully interesting.

Let me know if you're interested - I know it sounds a bit weird but I promise I'm quite harmless!!

Cheers
Paul
Hope anyone going has a great night & for God's sake I really hope Sting doesn't turn up.
Why couldn't they get permission to play to Bowie backing tracks?

January 8th, 2017, 10:12 am #7

Hi all

Cheers
Paul
To all are going have a great time.
To all the band, thanks for the memories your boss would of been proud.
Love on Ya,
Mr.Newton

January 8th, 2017, 7:11 pm #8

In Brixton Academy now. Massive queue round 3 blocks to get in - biggest queue I've seen here. Currently a Life On Mars singalong :-/. Hoping the naysayers on here aren't going to be proved right,but it's not looking good so far !

January 8th, 2017, 10:24 pm #9

Poor reports are coming onto FB now about it. I just saw them and Joe Elliot out of Def Leppard singing 'Suffragette City' and it was grim.

Mist.

January 8th, 2017, 11:28 pm #10

Well, Michael, I've been cautiously optimistic about this gig, but I'm ready to admit, for the most part, that I was wrong and you (and lots of others on here!) were right!

The band were great for the most part, but very much in the Rawk mode of the Reality tour, to be expected I suppose.

I didn't know roughly half the singers, I got excited about La Roux stepping up for Golden Years, as she's pretty much affectionately based herself on that era DB for many years. But either she was nervous, or the mic was down as I could barely hear her. Likewise with the string section, from where I stood the sound was just overly loud and flat.

Stay was a real highlight, Earl Slick superb for that and throughout. I'll also single out Adrian Belew - a great solo acoustic Life On Mars?, plus he sang some songs really well. Him and GAD were about the only singers that weren't showboating.

Overall, I enjoyed it, just. 3 hours straight through, so even discounting the dreck, there was lots left to enjoy.

Biggest plus - I was right in front of Garson so I could watch his magic fingers whenever I got bored.

Biggest minus - I may never be able to forget Tony Hadley massacreing Changes. What were they thinking?
Last edited by An-Alligator on January 9th, 2017, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 8th, 2017, 11:34 pm #11

I saw a clip of them doing 'Heroes' and Belew sound the best of the lot of them! His guitar playing was such a contrast to Slicks clunky rawk riff playing.

Mist.

January 8th, 2017, 11:41 pm #12

Yes, Slick can be so self consciously Rock Star sometimes, but when it fits, like in Stay, it really fits! The band was constantly rotating, so he wasn't even on stage a lot of the time.

If you're talking contrasts, Slick and Belew were the ultimate. I kept thinking Belew was a roadie each time he came on! Came across as very humble and just about the performance rather than being the star. I was impressed.

January 8th, 2017, 11:50 pm #13

Michael where are they talking it on FB? I'd like to have a look and find out who the singers were! Perhaps naively, I thought famous fans would be lining up take part, but alas not.

January 8th, 2017, 11:55 pm #14

Well, I can't really post the persons name publicly on here, but they've been posting video clips during the show, and people have been discussing them. You'd have to be a FB pal of mine to find them!

Mist.

January 8th, 2017, 11:58 pm #15

Michael where are they talking it on FB? I'd like to have a look and find out who the singers were! Perhaps naively, I thought famous fans would be lining up take part, but alas not.
Some bits and pieces with this query:
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&ver ... e&src=tyah

January 9th, 2017, 12:14 am #16

In a near 3 hour show from that many musicians you're gonna get some highlights and some not so high.....

I thought it was pretty damn good overall. I loved hearing GAD sing Young Americans and Space Oddity, she's pure class.

Yes I could have done without the new romantic contingent but hey they loved db too. Joe Elliott and Bernard Fowler tore it up where it needed tearing up. Some of the guests I didn't know but wotevs.

Yes the sound was patchy. Belew's pedals sounded a bit off but it may just have been where I was standing. Slick was, well, Slick. He was having a ball. Gerry Leonard and Mark Plati were cool and held a lot together.

Everyone who appeared deserves much credit. There were scores of musicians and I've only mentioned a fraction. Those who played with db on the last tours and records I feel the most for tbh. There was a lot of love on that stage.

January 9th, 2017, 12:21 am #17

Quick bit of poking around found this full vid of GAD doing Young Americanshttps://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 79696&_rdr

January 9th, 2017, 12:36 am #18

I remember Steve Norman being a right poser at Live Aid.
He hasn't changed much.

January 9th, 2017, 1:37 am #19

Quick bit of poking around found this full vid of GAD doing Young Americanshttps://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 79696&_rdr
Intro and Dead Man Walking

https://youtu.be/VMqW9L-WkTY
Last edited by FTcollector on January 9th, 2017, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2017, 2:05 am #20

Well, that was crap.

Mist.

January 9th, 2017, 8:54 am #21

We knew it would fall flat because of the vocalists - they could never have got it right but I think those who went had a super time.

Maybe next time they should just approach a Dave Brighton or similar and go all out for a sound-a-like vibe with costumes for added fun. That would've been nice.

January 9th, 2017, 9:15 am #22

Looks great. Wish I'd been there. Is there a set list knocking about? There are only 4/5 clips on YT. The ones Ive seen look and sound great so dont know why all the negative comments. People have a right to celebrate his music especially in these dark times.

Jx

"Aint there one damn song"

January 9th, 2017, 9:16 am #23

We knew it would fall flat because of the vocalists - they could never have got it right but I think those who went had a super time.

Maybe next time they should just approach a Dave Brighton or similar and go all out for a sound-a-like vibe with costumes for added fun. That would've been nice.
It was a bizarre night. Some moments were brilliant. Lady Grinning Soul with Holly Palmer promoted to main vocals, sounding like the Bond theme it never was, Joe Elliot ripping through Suffragette City, Angelo Moore (Fishbone) turning Ashes to Ashes into some sort of voodoo sermon, Aladdin Sane was as awesome and nostalgic as you'd expect, while maybe Tom from Keane gave the best performance on Life on Mars with Belew replicating Ronson's guitar note for note.

However, the personnel just kept on changing, fairly obscure singers generally weren't introduced, and there were technical hitches. I counted 3 drummers, 3 bassists about 5 guitarists, the string ensemble, the horn section, the gospel community choir and maybe 10 guest vocalists. It was almost chaos. The worst moment was when Elly Jackson from La Roux basically forgot half the lyrics from Golden Years, or the band were out of sync on Sound & Vision.

Strange that it took singers like Le Bon and Hadley to bring some order to the stage. Belew was value for money. He had a ball on Dj and Boys Keep Swinging.

Personally, I think it would have worked better if the band were consistent (just the Reality band with Belew would have been perfect) and they introduced the guest vocalists, like Queen did at the Freddy Tribute. I was ready to leave after 3 hours.

7/10 would be my rating. Seemed more like a work in progress. I reckon by the time they get to LA they will have streamlined it and it will be a very decent show.

January 9th, 2017, 9:19 am #24

Cheers. Hope they sort out the tech problems. Who sang Aladdin Sane?

January 9th, 2017, 9:45 am #25

Gail sang Aladdin Sane. Garson was the star of this. The singer was almost irrelevant! Gail was great, it was pretty special seeing band members from different eras united.
Last edited by BenderRodriguez on January 11th, 2017, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2017, 9:50 am #26

Cheers. Hope they sort out the tech problems. Who sang Aladdin Sane?
I forgot about DJ! That was really great. The morning after I'm tending to remember the good bits, which is a good thing.

Is like to see a setlist too! 3 hours, I just can't remember who sang what, and I'd like to know who the vocalists were. I think most/all were introduced or back announced, but half arsedly on secondary mics so I couldn't understand through Brixton Academy's vast sound system.

I'm still disappointed with the lack of variance in the vocalists. The big guy with the dreadlocks and hat did loads, he was ok, but I'll bet they could have found some willing and interesting volunteers if they'd asked around!

I think Iwanted something drifting more towards a Bowie Proms reinvention vibe, but I think Oldman and the band just wanted a party vibe.

On another note, I believe Dead Man Walking and Where Are We Now were the only post 80s songs. It makes me sad the general public aren't getting introduced to the full 'legacy'. Even when there's a doc called 'The Last Five Years' most of the content is from the 70s FFS!

January 9th, 2017, 9:57 am #27

as I remember it, the decades were represented like this:

80s - ashes to ashes, fashion, under pressure, let's dance, loving the alien
90s - dead man walking
00s -
10s - wawn
60s - space oddity
70s - tmwstw, changes, life on mars, ziggy, five years, suffragette city, jean genie, aladdin sane, lady grinning soul, sorrow, rebel rebel, diamond dogs, young americans, fame, win, golden years, stay, sound and vision, heroes, dj & boys keep swinging

January 9th, 2017, 10:03 am #28

That list says it all! The more this goes on, the more DB is seen as a 70s artist, with everything else just footnotes - that would be terrible.

Or, you could say the 90s are really ripe for rediscovery, some interesting and well conceived reissues could really reframe that decade.

January 9th, 2017, 2:22 pm #29

I think they missed an opportunity to do more from TND. As some of the band performed on TND, it would have been nice to hear their interpretation of some of the songs live. I can understand them not doing anything from Blackstar, as maybe they don't have the right band for it. It would be nice if Donny McCaslin showed up at the NY show, but I'm not holding my breath.

As I stated on another post, I am surprised Gail didn't do "Under Pressure" which is one of her signature songs.

We may see a slightly different setlist with different special guests, but chances are we aren't going to hear much more from the 90s to the present. A bit of a disappointment, but I guess that is expected. At least we are getting some gems such as "Lady Grinning Soul".

January 9th, 2017, 2:25 pm #30

Well, that was crap.

Mist.
Mist -- At least you got to hear "Let's Dance"!

January 9th, 2017, 2:33 pm #31

I think they missed an opportunity to do more from TND. As some of the band performed on TND, it would have been nice to hear their interpretation of some of the songs live. I can understand them not doing anything from Blackstar, as maybe they don't have the right band for it. It would be nice if Donny McCaslin showed up at the NY show, but I'm not holding my breath.

As I stated on another post, I am surprised Gail didn't do "Under Pressure" which is one of her signature songs.

We may see a slightly different setlist with different special guests, but chances are we aren't going to hear much more from the 90s to the present. A bit of a disappointment, but I guess that is expected. At least we are getting some gems such as "Lady Grinning Soul".
Setlist & performers are in the description of this one:

https://youtu.be/cn9lqHCLwl4

Do check out Space Oddity:

https://youtu.be/dfOZ_lGZKDo

January 9th, 2017, 2:40 pm #32

I'm looking forward to Sting now.

Bring the Sting, he sure can sing!

It's right up there with Lady Gaga and I bet someone on here is already thinking 'Sting will nail it!'

LOL!

Mist.

January 9th, 2017, 2:41 pm #33

I am pretty sure that with Gail having sung Under Pressure as a duet with Bowie from 95 - 2004, Gail wasn't emotionally up to it.

Although I have grumbled about a few aspects, it was a very good gig. Very few songs I didn't want to applaud. They performed for 3 hours and gave us loads of well loved songs.

Trying to condense 30 or so albums and 5 decades of his artistry into 3 hours was a big ask, so they went for the best known songs and a few gems that people with just hits albums might not have heard, like Lady Grinning Soul and Win.

January 9th, 2017, 7:45 pm #34

A few papers have reviewed the gig online now. Reading through them,it's amusing there's at least three or four instances where one review cites a particular song as a highlight, whilst another says the very same performance was a low point.

Just shows you can't please everyone.

January 9th, 2017, 8:05 pm #35

Here's the setlist with performers, not sure it's 100‰ right, must be from a press release or something. I've already had to delete Wild is the Wind. Pretty sure the gospel choir featured on more songs too. Any further corrections from those with better recall are very welcome!

'Dead Man Walking’ – Gary Oldman
‘Rebel Rebel’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Sorrow’ – Gary Oldman and Joe Sumner
‘Five Years’ – Gaby Moreno
‘Golden Years’ – La Roux
‘Lady Grinning Soul’ – Holly Palmer
‘The Man Who Sold The World’ – Jeremy Little and Gary Oldman
‘Diamond Dogs’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Life On Mars’ – Tom Chaplin
‘Young Americans’ – Gail Ann Dorsey & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘Ashes To Ashes’ – Angelo Moore
‘Win’ – Bernard Fowler & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘All The Young Dudes’ – Joe Elliot & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘Fame’ – Adrian Belew
‘Fashion’ – Alex Painter
‘Sound And Vision’ – Adrian Belew
‘Changes’ – Tony Hadley
‘Rock And Roll Suicide’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Where Are We Now’ – Holly Palmer
‘Stay’ – Bernard Fowler
‘Aladdin Sane’ – Gail Ann Dorsey
‘Space Oddity’ – Gain Ann Dorsey
‘Starman’ – Mr Hudson
‘D.J.'/’Boys Keep Swinging’ – Adrian Belew
‘Ziggy Stardust’ – Angelo Moore
‘Moonage Daydream’ – Angelo Moore
‘Suffragette City’ – Joe Elliot
‘Heroes’ – Bernard Fowler
ENCORE:
‘Loving The Alien’ – Catherine Russell
Jean Genie – ‘Bernard Fowler
‘Let’s Dance’ – Simon Le Bon & The London Community Gospel Choir
‘Under Pressure’ – Joe Sumner, Catherine Russell & The London Community Gospel Choir

January 9th, 2017, 8:53 pm #36

Put it in the setlist thread you clown

January 9th, 2017, 8:56 pm #37

Aye aye cap, just done it.

Every circus needs a clown you know. Even DBs career had a few of them.