Bowie and Nina Simone

Bowie and Nina Simone

28 Jul 2012, 23:30 #1

What was the story of these two together ?
All I know is that Wild Is The Wind is beautiful, Bowie's declaration after her death saying he had the chance to know her and to had her playing piano with him and Simone's speech on her Montreux 76 show telling that DB was his close friend.
Do we know more ?

29 Jul 2012, 00:52 #2

He visited her on the west coast in '76.

-----------------------------------------------

29 Jul 2012, 02:37 #3

I was MAD over
Wild Is The Wind
upon hearing my LP version.....
But effer-rapidly lost interest
in the song when I saw the
over achieving attempts in the
sordid and predictable blk&wht
renditon that we all see and......

nice !!

29 Jul 2012, 05:30 #4

A number one single if released in '76? Maybe.

I know what you mean about the video - first time I saw it was on The Rock N Roll Years 1976. It confused me quite a bit. Like showing the Ziggy SO video to illustrate '69 or '75.

29 Jul 2012, 08:59 #5

What was the story of these two together ?
All I know is that Wild Is The Wind is beautiful, Bowie's declaration after her death saying he had the chance to know her and to had her playing piano with him and Simone's speech on her Montreux 76 show telling that DB was his close friend.
Do we know more ?
but Bowie was clearly influenced by the "It Is Finished" LP she released in 1974 - the production and sound of The Pusher seemed to have a bearing on the sound of tracks like Can You Hear Me and It's Gonna Be Me, to my ears, and Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweater - a weird, funked up version of what was a more straight rock-soul song by Ike and Turner - was sampled by Bowie as the intro to his live 1976 and 1978 versions of "Rebel Rebel". I seem to remember at least one other track reminded me of the production and sound Bowie employed on Young Americans, too.

------------------
The next EMI Expanded Editions:
* What are your hopes for these releases?
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?
* Cracked Actor / Omnibus documentary must be released on DVD!

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures | My stuff, if you like bad singing

29 Jul 2012, 12:15 #6

"but Bowie was clearly influenced by the "It Is Finished" LP she released in 1974"

Yes, I really like that album:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315"></embed></object>

I think this album has influenced the album Young Americans.

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

29 Jul 2012, 12:32 #7

Listening to side one now.
Nina singing Gosh-Darn
that pusher man.
Real nice feel. I like
Steppenwolf's version too.
And i have Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly"
cd. It also has a version.

I think this recording beats the other two tho'
She just sings very convincingly.
Thanks for posting this LP.

nice !!

29 Jul 2012, 12:45 #8

I prefer the original version:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="420" height="315"></embed></object>

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

29 Jul 2012, 13:21 #9

The Johnny Mathis version Claude?

29 Jul 2012, 13:30 #10

Nina and Mayfield are entirely two different songs.

..all I had to give was the guilt for dreaming

29 Jul 2012, 13:32 #11

I agree with what Clover said

29 Jul 2012, 14:04 #12

"but Bowie was clearly influenced by the "It Is Finished" LP she released in 1974"

Yes, I really like that album:

I think this album has influenced the album Young Americans.

-------------
*Claude*
-------------
the first track on part 1 of the youtube link to It is Finished and the last track of part 1 of that same link are the tracks I was concerned most with - The Pusher (YA feel - for instance on Can You Hear Me / It's Gonna Be Me) and Funkier Than ... you can hear how used that for the Rebel Rebel intro in live 1976 + 1978 versions.

------------------
* Let's have The Man Who Sold The World with the complete Paris Cinema Studios, Feb 5, 1970 radio concert, and the complete April 1970 radio session. Hunky Dory - add the complete Paris Cinema Studios concert, June 1971 in stereo, from the BBC Stereo Transcription LP if the master is lost!
* Any future live 1974 release MUST include a recording of Drive In Saturday from the early part of the tour, it's classic!
The next DVD release?

Recommended:
Tiffiny Townsend | She's Got Issues | The She Creatures | My stuff, if you like bad singing

29 Jul 2012, 14:46 #13

i was lucky enough to see her live once ... that memory will be for ever.

29 Jul 2012, 15:18 #14

The Johnny Mathis version Claude?
Yes, you are right this is the original version:

I really like it!

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

29 Jul 2012, 21:24 #15

i was lucky enough to see her live once ... that memory will be for ever.

Can you tell more about this gig ?

29 Jul 2012, 21:59 #16

Nina and Mayfield are entirely two different songs.

..all I had to give was the guilt for dreaming
I don't like Bowie's cover

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

29 Jul 2012, 22:18 #17

Bowie's cover is tedious:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="420" height="315"></embed></object>

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

30 Jul 2012, 20:04 #18

the first track on part 1 of the youtube link to It is Finished and the last track of part 1 of that same link are the tracks I was concerned most with - The Pusher (YA feel - for instance on Can You Hear Me / It's Gonna Be Me) and Funkier Than ... you can hear how used that for the Rebel Rebel intro in live 1976 + 1978 versions.

------------------
The next DVD release?

Recommended:
The link between "I Want A little Sugar in My Bowl" and "Who Can I Be Now" and "It's Gonna Be Me" is obvious. Some would say it's so much copied in some part. In the meantime these 2 tracks are so Bowie in every way. If only, the LP had been released with all the Sigma sessions ... Fame (Across The Universe on B) on Single would be classy. Its own Strawberry Fields.

Speaking of this, how noticed the copy of "Stand" by Sly & Family Stone (from 2m17 to the end) in Stay ? Am I dreaming ?

30 Jul 2012, 21:53 #19

Yes, you are right this is the original version:

I really like it!

-------------
*Claude*
-------------
The movie is great for me!

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

30 Jul 2012, 21:59 #20

The link between "I Want A little Sugar in My Bowl" and "Who Can I Be Now" and "It's Gonna Be Me" is obvious. Some would say it's so much copied in some part. In the meantime these 2 tracks are so Bowie in every way. If only, the LP had been released with all the Sigma sessions ... Fame (Across The Universe on B) on Single would be classy. Its own Strawberry Fields.

Speaking of this, how noticed the copy of "Stand" by Sly & Family Stone (from 2m17 to the end) in Stay ? Am I dreaming ?
he nicked Everyday People too - for V2 Schneider.

------------------
The next DVD release?

Recommended: