Beat of your Drum remix

September 7th, 2018, 12:40 am #1

Its on Spotify. It sounds very Bowie to me.

September 7th, 2018, 12:59 am #2

Can you give a direct link?  Searching on Spotify only finds the 1999 remastered version.

September 7th, 2018, 1:10 am #3

September 7th, 2018, 1:56 am #4

Thanks for sharing. I love those Björk-y strings. It would have been cool to see Nico work with Bowie more.

September 7th, 2018, 9:34 am #5

I quite like this, and I never thought I would, it’s certainly quite an interesting take on Beat Of Your Drum that’s for sure.

I’ve listened to it twice, the first time was a bit of a wow! moment but the second time was more yeah! that’s not bad at all, so whether the impact fades after a few listens who knows? I remember when the original NLMD came out, after the first few listens I really loved it but then very quickly tired of it after a few plays. Part of me did miss the thudding power of the original when listening to this new version though, but that could be put down to familiarity and nostalgia, this new version does have a lot more finesse. On the whole this new reworked 2018 version of Beat Of Your Drum has lead me to be a bit more enthusiastic to hear the rest of the album. Can’t say fairer than that.

It’s quite easily searched for on iTunes btw.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

September 7th, 2018, 11:45 am #6

SHHWEEET! wrote:I remember when the original NLMD came out, after the first few listens I really loved it but then very quickly tired of it after a few plays.
That was probably the relief that it wasn't as lame as Tonight and then the yawning realisation that it was only just  not as lame...😉 

September 7th, 2018, 12:24 pm #7

MM has made the most of what is a *very* weak song (the perfect example of "polishing a turd"). Not as catchy as the new version of Zeroes, but I'm still massively excited to hear the new NLMD in its entirety - and I never ever expected to be professing excitement for NLMD.

When db sings "Never the twain / reckless and tame", who else pictures Windsor Davies and Donald Sinden...?

September 7th, 2018, 1:19 pm #8

It's hard not to hear the original instrumentation when listening to the chorus, but it's a nice re-invention of the song; I'm excited to hear how it sounds in context with the rest of the album.

September 7th, 2018, 1:29 pm #9

LuisKantor wrote: MM has made the most of what is a *very* weak song (the perfect example of "polishing a turd"). Not as catchy as the new version of Zeroes, but I'm still massively excited to hear the new NLMD in its entirety - and I never ever expected to be professing excitement for NLMD.

When db sings "Never the twain / reckless and tame", who else pictures Windsor Davies and Donald Sinden...?
I prefer Beat Of Your Drum 2018 over the new version of Zeroes, it’s a lot more interesting and different from the original than Zeroes 2018 is, for me anyway, and there are some quite cool string and guitar parts in places that gives you that, wow! that sounds quite good factor. The new version of Zeroes left me feeling a bit well, yeah! it’s ok, not bad by any means but why bother?

The acid test in future is how many times will NLMD 2018 be played once the novelty wears off, because a turd is still a turd at the end of the day and no amount of polishing is going to change that. NLMD has been given a temporary new lease of life it would seem? but I can’t really see myself giving it a spin on a regular basis like I do with the real classics. If I do give it a regular spin more than I do the original at least,  then job done I suppose.Maybe I will? It will be interesting to see.

What next though? A reworking of Tonight or Reality? The genie might just have been let out of the bottle with this and I’m still a bit undecided as to whether that would be a good thing or not because Bowie’s albums are what they are whether good or bad. Nothing to do with being an aloof purist but more to do with the fact that I’m not  particularly enthusiastic that Bowie’s back catalogue should be taken down this route? Art is art, it’s unique to the artist, why should anyone other than the original artist feel they have the right to fuck with it because they think they know better? Remastering etc is one thing, but totally reconstructing something to sound or look like something radically different is another. It just doesn’t sit easy with me, however I do appreciate it does with others.
Last edited by SHHWEEET! on September 8th, 2018, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

September 7th, 2018, 2:14 pm #10

SHHWEEET! wrote:
What next though? A reworking of Tonight or Reality?
Reality? No need for any re-mixing or re-recording: just ditch the cover versions and filler, do the same with Heathen, and combine the remaining tracks.

Tonight? Not worth doing unless some tracks can be removed and others added, and some Iggy vocals recorded. Tonight needs a complete reinvention, a remix isn't going to help it and it's hard to see how that can be done in db's absence - unless perhaps there are db vocal tracks in existence for any of the songs he wrote for Blah Blah Blah which could be dropped into freshly recorded music tracks and added to a new Tonight track list.

viewtopic.php?f=8980&t=82220&p=802459&h ... air#unread

September 7th, 2018, 3:41 pm #11

Yeah. I’d agree that the prospect of reworking entire albums leaves me a little cold. We know Bowie wanted this done (one way or another) - but after this project, reworking any other album might be a bit much.

I know TV said he wanted to remix Reality - which is a project I’d be interested in hearing. And I’d love to see the longer SACD versions of Heathen tracks given a stereo release.

But as far as the complete reworking of songs - that’s why I’ve been rallying for live album releases. Over the course of a tour Bowie himself would tinker with song structure - and those are the “new versions” I’d like official releases of the most.

That, and any demos he was cool with releasing.

September 7th, 2018, 3:53 pm #12

Remix albums that aren't intended as a "2018 version" or something similar work better if they were going to proceed with further new mixes in the future.  I don't care much if Reality gets a new mix, but I've been dying to hear the Blackstar outtakes and remixes.  It didn't take long at all for TND to get that deluxe treatment.

September 7th, 2018, 4:04 pm #13

There is a thin end of many wedges here.  I wonder if the band are thinking of touring it?

It reminds me a little of Dancing out in space.

September 7th, 2018, 10:30 pm #14

not keen on this new remix
that new string part grates on me a bit but I confess I've always been a fan of the original.
2018 seems very sluggish with the drum and bass weak, the original has more power and melody behind it but this update is a bit plodding.
zeroes is better but again it doesn't surpass the original for me I'm afraid.
I hope the other songs offer a bit more.

September 7th, 2018, 11:04 pm #15

The new versions of Glass Spider, Shining Star and Bang Bang are reportedly quite radical. Looking forward to it.

September 8th, 2018, 12:25 am #16

I listened to Zeroes once and I was impressed. I like to hold off for the 'real' release of albums / songs despite the multitude of opportunities for sneak previews of such things the internet offers.

I suspect it (NLMD 2018) will end up for me a bit like the Lodger remix - an interesting different take on something I'm familiar with, and in this case hopefully largely for the better. It's a less loved album for me, but still one I retain a liking for as it's one of the first Bowie albums I got when it came out, good or bad overall. I kind of liked it, despite feeling it didn't quite live up to Bowie's and some fans' initial enthusiasm and hopes for it.

I don't think it's a bad thing it being given a second chance in this way, given Bowie's known misgivings about it.

I don't think this is likely to become a pattern either. I would say it'll be a one-off, but make that a two off in the circumstances.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

September 8th, 2018, 1:41 am #17

doctoroctopussy wrote: The new versions of Glass Spider, Shining Star and Bang Bang are reportedly quite radical. Looking forward to it.
The more radical and different from the original the better despite the ethical debate as to whether it should or shouldn’t be done. I can’t see the point in reworking an entire album like NLMD if the new version stays close to the familiar, the new version may as well go for glory.

I’ve been listening to Beat Of Your Drum 2018 again and one thing that did strike me was however successful or not this reworking is, there is sod all anyone can do about the bloody awful lyrics. 🤔

September 8th, 2018, 4:45 pm #18

it's not working so far for me, but 2 of my favourite tracks were never gonna be improved upon anyway.
hopefully the weaker tracks like 87 and cry will win me over.

September 9th, 2018, 8:40 am #19

sylvianne wrote: it's not working so far for me, but 2 of my favourite tracks were never gonna be improved upon anyway.
hopefully the weaker tracks like 87 and cry will win me over.
It’s interesting  to read the views from fans like yourself, fans who openly admit their love for Bowie’s  80s period.

Your probably in a better position to give a more valid view on NLMD 2018 than I am. My view for instance is going to be influenced by the fact I’m not that keen on the original in the first place.

I’m looking forward to your HONEST views on it ( And those of the same mind as you ) when the entire NLMD 2018 album is released.

September 9th, 2018, 2:37 pm #20

Guessing it's safe to assume the decade-old MM Remix of Time Will Crawl will be re-packaged for the 2018 album instead of a brand new remix being done.

The majority of the other tracks on NLMD can only be improved with a new direction, but I'm particularly fond of the title track and how it already sounded.  Hoping it gets some justice.

September 9th, 2018, 3:31 pm #21

NorseSwagger wrote: Guessing it's safe to assume the decade-old MM Remix of Time Will Crawl will be re-packaged for the 2018 album instead of a brand new remix being done.
Apparently it’s been redone / remixed again for NLMD 2018 because the iselect version didn’t fit in with the rest of the reworked album.

September 9th, 2018, 5:53 pm #22

well norse, so far in my view coming from the perspective of a big fan of the original version of nlmd, the first 2 songs taken in a new direction hasn't improved them.
like I say there's hope for some I consider to be the more weaker songs on the album such as 87 & cry, bang bang, shining star and new York's in love. we shall see.
I would say the fans who dismiss or don't care for or who maybe aren't familiar with the original version are far more likely to enjoy this 2018 version than the fans who love and still enjoy the 87 version.

September 9th, 2018, 10:01 pm #23

sylvianne wrote: well norse, so far in my view coming from the perspective of a big fan of the original version of nlmd, the first 2 songs taken in a new direction hasn't improved them.
like I say there's hope for some I consider to be the more weaker songs on the album such as 87 & cry, bang bang, shining star and new York's in love. we shall see.
I would say the fans who dismiss or don't care for or who maybe aren't familiar with the original version are far more likely to enjoy this 2018 version than the fans who love and still enjoy the 87 version.
My opinion is that the new single versions of BOYD & Zeroes elevates them from being simply forgettable filler that gets buried among the lead singles from the '80's.
The 2018 version of the album won't be a replacement to the original album in my eyes, I'll still be listening to the original mix that comes in the LTA box.  And tacking Too Dizzy back into the tracklisting.  😉

September 9th, 2018, 10:18 pm #24

my point exactly you don't care to much for the original versions. I don't see how they elevate them at all. they have been stripped of melody now, both tracks have a decent tune and are pretty catchy pop songs.
these 2 songs I've never thought of them as filler but that they were always better tracks than the singles in my opinion, I always thought Boyd in particular would have made a great single back then, very radio friendly.

September 10th, 2018, 7:56 am #25

sylvianne wrote: my point exactly you don't care to much for the original versions. I don't see how they elevate them at all. they have been stripped of melody now, both tracks have a decent tune and are pretty catchy pop songs.
That was my point as well when I said Bowie 80s lovers like yourself are probably in a better position to make a judgement on NLMD 2018 than someone like me.

However it’s true that those like me who don’t really care much for the Bowie 80s albums should be the ones who are most likely to be won over by the new version. In my case though I do value originality when it comes to these things so I will have to wait and see if I play it a lot more.

Either way I will give it a fair chance / listen to see whether it shines or fails on its own terms.

September 10th, 2018, 9:57 am #26

I'm not stumping for the box set, so I won't hear it til it's up on youtube.
There's the Marketing Dept's dilemma in a single sentence, I guess...

September 10th, 2018, 10:27 am #27

Larranaga wrote: I'm not stumping for the box set, so I won't hear it til it's up on youtube.
There's the Marketing Dept's dilemma in a single sentence, I guess...
Apple Music for me and then I will get a CD-R copy of it, then if it’s any good and by some chance it’s released as a stand alone CD I’d buy it.

September 10th, 2018, 11:21 am #28

shhweeet that wasn't actually directed at you but was a response to what norse said. 😁

September 10th, 2018, 11:40 am #29

sylvianne wrote: shhweeet that wasn't actually directed at you but was a response to what norse said. 😁
Yeah I know but I like to keep butting in with my two penny’s worth. 🤭😜😂

September 10th, 2018, 4:31 pm #30

Speaking of which, I still haven't seen the box set pop up as a "pre-order" on iTunes or Amazon digital. Or have I just been missing something?

September 13th, 2018, 11:27 pm #31

I've always liked the verse of this song which feels like it's building up to something great but the chorus is woefully weak. This reworking is definitely stronger but that chorus is unrescuable IMO.

September 14th, 2018, 2:10 pm #32

So for people who have the picture disc, is Zeroes virtually unplayable on your copy? Mine is just so bass bloated that it overpowers the song.

September 14th, 2018, 2:19 pm #33

Why would anyone want to play a picture disc? picture discs are for collecting and display purposes only.

It’s well known that the whole process of printing the picture on a vinyl disc can affect the sound and can often cause jumps.

Unless the whole manufacturing  process has moved on? I doubt it has though.

September 14th, 2018, 2:21 pm #34

Thanks for not answering my question, I didn't require judgement, just answers.

I don't download, so this is the only way of getting the radio edits of the songs, I have plenty of picture discs that are perfectly playable.

September 14th, 2018, 3:25 pm #35

UntitledNo1 wrote: Thanks for not answering my question, I didn't require judgement, just answers.

I don't download, so this is the only way of getting the radio edits of the songs, I have plenty of picture discs that are perfectly playable.
I’m sorry,  I didn’t realise I had to watch my P’s & Q’s when making a general point with regards to anything that’s brought up on this messsge board  🙄 I wasn’t making a judgement on you, I was  merely making a comment on why anyone would want to play a picture disc and expect top line sound performance etc from it, so get over yourself.

I didn’t answer you question in the way you wanted because I don’t buy picture discs for the reasons I commented on. I don’t display things and I’m long past paying a fortune for pretty bits of plastic with pretty pictures on them. If you want great sound then buy a CD if it’s available on one, or get over your reluctance to download.

You like buying picture discs, that’s lovely good for you I’ve got no problem with your decision to do so, but don’t try censoring me by taking the huff just because you don’t like a particular comment or observation made on this message board  which was made in association and perfectly legitimately with something you have brought up.

September 14th, 2018, 3:31 pm #36

I asked a question, if you didn't have the answer why not just keep scrolling. It was a very specific question. No wonder I stopped posting here a long time ago, it was because of people like you.

This is actually the first picture disc I have bought in a long time. I do not want mp3's, that is my choice. I didn't expect "great sound" from a picture disc, but usually there is less bass not more on a picture disc, due to the thinner playing surface. I asked because I would like to know if others had the same problem, or if it was unique to my copy. If it was, then I would get it replaced, if it isn't, then I will live with it. Your comment was of no use and didn't answer anything.

I didn't censor you, because that would require me to delete your message, of which I cannot.

September 14th, 2018, 3:54 pm #37

UntitledNo1 wrote: I asked a question, if you didn't have the answer why not just keep scrolling. It was a very specific question. No wonder I stopped posting here a long time ago, it was because of people like you.
Oh please!

Why don’t you take your own advice and keep scrolling or not continue reading if you don’t like a comment you read.

Who the fuck are you anyway? Are you the moderator of this forum? do we have to run things past you and get YOUR! approval before we type anything?

Your trying to indirectly censor by making out someone is wrong because they made a comment or observation which doesn’t meet with your approval so they won’t do it again. Or is that too hard for you to work out?

And what’s with the comment people like me? I’m perfectly nice unless some asshole wants   to try and tell me what I can or can not say.

September 14th, 2018, 4:36 pm #38

UntitledNo1 wrote: So for people who have the picture disc, is Zeroes virtually unplayable on your copy? Mine is just so bass bloated that it overpowers the song.
Correct indeed, got mine today, the sound quality is not great. I play all my vinyls, including picture discs, limited editions, rare vinyl bootlegs etc. I am not one of those "vinyl lovers" who keeps everything wrapped in seal. There are numerous picture discs that have great sound btw, this is simply not a great one. A bit annoying, as the Zeroes 2018 7" was not cheap (more expensive than the regular stream of Bowie 7" picture discs of which I have not bought any). I am not a big fan of 7" singles, but also wanted this one for the edits, but I would have preferred a picture 12", even if it had just the two songs on it.

As a fan of 80s Bowie, I think that Zeroes has improved - it was never a favourite song of mine although I always appreciated the Prince reference, but the 2018 version is great. In contract, I always liked Beat of your drum and I am not that impressed by the 2018 version, I prefer the NLMD one.

September 14th, 2018, 6:18 pm #39

oakey1973 wrote: Correct indeed, got mine today, the sound quality is not great. I play all my vinyls, including picture discs, limited editions, rare vinyl bootlegs etc. I am not one of those "vinyl lovers" who keeps everything wrapped in seal. There are numerous picture discs that have great sound btw, this is simply not a great one. A bit annoying, as the Zeroes 2018 7" was not cheap (more expensive than the regular stream of Bowie 7" picture discs of which I have not bought any). I am not a big fan of 7" singles, but also wanted this one for the edits, but I would have preferred a picture 12", even if it had just the two songs on it.

As a fan of 80s Bowie, I think that Zeroes has improved - it was never a favourite song of mine although I always appreciated the Prince reference, but the 2018 version is great. In contract, I always liked Beat of your drum and I am not that impressed by the 2018 version, I prefer the NLMD one.
Thank you! Very disappointing that they went to the bother of making a physical product and the botched the mastering. OK the majority of these are never going to be played, but nevertheless with almost all of these picture discs they have put a track on which is unique to the format.

My wife has a full set of early Iron Maiden albums on picture disc and they play fine, if anything a little bass shy, so why this is so overloaded is strange.

September 15th, 2018, 5:35 am #40

September 15th, 2018, 1:16 pm #41

This picture disc has the bass mastered hot on the A side. The usual problem with picture discs is a lack of volume and fidelity due to the thinner material that the music has to be cut onto. This disc is the opposite of any picture disc I have ever heard. The amount of bass has nothing to do with the medium, this was a mastering error. When the full band kicks in, the bass overpowers the rest of the track.

I am not in the habit of playing picture discs a lot, but just wanted to hear the music, and then digitise it. If I am paying full price for a physical product, I shouldn't have to then pay extra to actually hear the music.

September 15th, 2018, 3:19 pm #42

UntitledNo1 wrote: This picture disc has the bass mastered hot on the A side. The usual problem with picture discs is a lack of volume and fidelity due to the thinner material that the music has to be cut onto. This disc is the opposite of any picture disc I have ever heard. The amount of bass has nothing to do with the medium, this was a mastering error. When the full band kicks in, the bass overpowers the rest of the track.

I am not in the habit of playing picture discs a lot, but just wanted to hear the music, and then digitise it. If I am paying full price for a physical product, I shouldn't have to then pay extra to actually hear the music.

I hear what your saying but in all honesty picture discs really are a bad medium for sound performance which is why I made my earlier observation. Not making a judgement on you, just stating what’s generally believed to be fact.

I can’t understand why you are reluctant to download especially when you have said you want to digitise the sound from your picture disc anyway. I’m not a particular fan of downloading either but sometimes you just have to. The Let’s Dance demo being a case in point for me.

I can’t explain why this Zeroes picture disc should be so bass heavy because usually the sound is just a straight transfer from a digitised CD source. I know they often claim something has been mastered for vinyl but I have my doubts about that. No doubt someone will respond and say I’m wrong on that which is fair enough, however I’m inclined to believe it’s something to do with the way this particular disc has been manufactured. I mean why go to the expense to master for something as limited as a picture disc which we both seem to agree don’t get played a lot by most people and then drop such an obvious bollock as making it too bass heavy.

I also suspect they themselves don’t really expect too many of these discs to be actually played.

September 15th, 2018, 3:31 pm #43

Oh I totally agree with you that they probably don't.

Regarding my reluctance, that is just the fact that I bought something, and don't necessarily want to pay again just to be able to hear the thing. As it is, I had to, because the A side is virtually unplayable. I am not an audiophile, but when the speakers rattle with the bass (even at relatively low volume) then you know something is wrong.
Well it looks nice anyway (which is what most people care about with these discs. I pretty much asked initially because I didn't know if it was just my record, my set-up or if it was a widespread issue.

The issue I have really, and this is with pretty much all the picture discs that have been released since 2012 with Starman is that they have almost all had exclusive tracks which aren't available elsewhere (to be fair this is the first I have bothered to buy). So although they are predominantly aimed at people who really just want to display them, they do have tracks which are only on them and nowhere else.

Maybe one day they will do a compilation of a lot of them, I would love Starman and Jean Genie from TOTP in the best quality they could be for example.

It is just a shame a little bit more care wasn't taken with this release, as both tracks are not part of the box set (in this form).

September 15th, 2018, 3:36 pm #44

I have a picture disc from 1983 of China Girl and it plays almost as well as the black vinyl version, so it isn't that they can't do it, it is usually that they don't care enough.

September 15th, 2018, 3:46 pm #45

UntitledNo1 wrote: The issue I have really, and this is with pretty much all the picture discs that have been released since 2012 with Starman is that they have almost all had exclusive tracks which aren't available elsewhere (to be fair this is the first I have bothered to buy). So although they are predominantly aimed at people who really just want to display them, they do have tracks which are only on them and nowhere else.

Maybe one day they will do a compilation of a lot of them, I would love Starman and Jean Genie from TOTP in the best quality they could be for example.
I do think it’s pretty underhand that they make things exclusive to picture discs especially when they must know the problems with the format when they do get played.

At the end of the day being a fan of David Bowie or anyone else for that matter really is about the music, especially now Bowie has unfortunately passed away. Everything should be made available in the best sound format available which for me is still CD.

It’s all marketing rubbish in order to sell these picture discs to those who are maybe not that bothered about the picture disc itself, but like you ( And me as well ) just want to hear the actual music.

September 15th, 2018, 3:54 pm #46

All the coloured discs and picture discs are not my thing at all. As you say it should all be about the music. I have some coloured vinyl and pic discs but they are mainly from years ago and bought at the same price as the normal. They were kind of a "gift to fans" back in those days, not meant as nest eggs for your descendants. The best collectibles are things that were never meant to be, just things that didn't sell much back in the day and have naturally increased in rarity as the years go by, these manufactured collectibles are no more of interest that Bradford Exchange clocks with Elvis' face on them.

September 15th, 2018, 4:06 pm #47

UntitledNo1 wrote: I have a picture disc from 1983 of China Girl and it plays almost as well as the black vinyl version, so it isn't that they can't do it, it is usually that they don't care enough.
I have the Fame picture disc singles bought way back in the 80s. ( The ones that came in the plastic wallet ) Some play ok, others jump and skip. All are fairy noisy though. What really annoys me is that all the plastic pages have split at the bottom so the discs keep sliding out, and the thing has hardly been taken out of its’s card board box to be looked at.

Thinking about it that’s probably when my aversion to picture discs started.

September 15th, 2018, 4:19 pm #48

I don't think you can find a copy of that set without the plastic pages splitting. There was a copy in my local record shop when I started buying Bowie back in 1983 and it was broken at that time, so never bought it. A couple of years later the store closed down and he was selling it off cheap, and I kind of wished I picked it up, but didn't get around to it.

I also didn't buy the set of 5 picture disc albums which were released in 1984 (Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin, Pin Ups and DD) which were sold for less that 4 quid each, ten years ago they were worth 10x that and I have no idea what they go for now, but I had only just bought all of those albums once and didn't see the need to have them again.

September 15th, 2018, 7:43 pm #49

Beat of Your Drum  (and Zeroes) : The master's hand is clearly lacking.

September 15th, 2018, 11:46 pm #50

leoloww wrote: Beat of Your Drum  (and Zeroes) : The master's hand is clearly lacking.
You mean on the originals? These new versions finally sound like Bowie records, whereas the original NLMD just sounds like generic late 80s shit.