Autopsy - the last hours of David Bowie

July 18th, 2018, 5:08 pm #1

You will not believe how dreadful this documentary is - a "respected pathologist" analyses the last few days of DB's life with quite frankly, disastrous and embarrassing assumptions.

If you have 45 minutes spare and want to cringe (particularly at the dreadful actor who plays DB in his last few days) - here you go. I gave up after 10 minutes...

Was a bit disappointed to see George Underwood and Dana Gillespie in it but less surprised to see Leslie Ann Jones.

July 18th, 2018, 5:16 pm #2

I don't know if I can try to watch this either. I just skimmed thru it without sound and it already just looks to be in horrible taste to me.

July 18th, 2018, 7:00 pm #3

Sorry guys, but I found this quite fascinating. Okay, it was macabre and a little sensationalist, but I personally think that db would have enjoyed the drama and theatre of the effort - it only adds to the intrigue, if you believe that all publicity is good publicity. Long live the legacy of the great man!!!!

July 18th, 2018, 7:02 pm #4

This_Furious_Man wrote: Sorry guys, but I found this quite fascinating. Okay, it was macabre and a little sensationalist, but I personally think that db would have enjoyed the drama and theatre of the effort - it only adds to the intrigue, if you believe that all publicity is good publicity. Long live the legacy of the great man!!!!
Well like I said, I only skimmed quickly through it, so perhaps that was too rash a judgment to make already. I may try to give it a watch when I find the time later on.

July 18th, 2018, 7:20 pm #5

We all have different perceptions and levels of tolerance to this sort of stuff, so its very much a personal choice as to whether we accommodate or reject the content. For me, it was still a documentary (if that's what you could call it) about db, and I felt compelled to consume it. It wasn't hugely inciteful, and I certainly didn't place much credence on the findings of the clinician, but the fact that the very sad events leading to dbs departure had been assembled in chronological order, helped me to contextualise the overall picture. I can't help but think that it added to the mystique of the man in a strange way.

TFM

July 19th, 2018, 12:54 pm #6

The close-in fans as you would expect to find here are almost obliged to recoil on behalf of their man. After recoiling a bit, they will then proceed to devour it to a man (and woman). The Bowie stand-in is horrific. Less intimate watchers won't care.

Where does an individual's request for privacy stand against the public domain's claim on a cultural personage of such stature and reach? Tough question. More important, where is Mist with his conspiracy-laced counter-narrative? They could have injected a legal angle to put in better context the unprecedented secrecy surrounding the death. There is no public figure's death we know less about. But I'm sure that's not a stock angle of the series, which is sort of the point. 

I though it was credible enough. I'm also now certain that Bowie's life was self-consciously staged as preparation for his death. In life, he honed his control and his penchant for mystique. As he liked to say, everything's already happened. 

July 19th, 2018, 2:53 pm #7

redvinylshoes wrote: I'm also now certain that Bowie's life was self-consciously staged as preparation for his death.
Oh, dear. Seriously..?

July 19th, 2018, 5:55 pm #8

More of a docu-rama than full on documentary and, for effect, the script tends to veer towards sensationalism at times. However it does then come back on track and reaches the right conclusion - or as far as the public know about his death. Actually thought the stand-in was quite good and the reconstructions put quite a realistic picture on what his family life was probably like.

July 20th, 2018, 9:34 am #9

I did have to laugh at the scene at his apartment on his birthday where he was swigging from a hip flask ( why don't these people do better research?). The bit about his pupils being a potential factor was stretched out far too long. 

July 20th, 2018, 1:16 pm #10

Having read the comments here I was intrigued, so watched it last night and managed to get through it..., just :(

Totally agree about the pupils issue being stretched out too long. I thought the stand-ins were frightful, especially the older version of db. The 'imagined' scenes such as his birthday celebrations were ludicrous. Too much superfluous information. IMHO, some of the recent celebrity Autopsy progs have been ok-ish,such as Michael Jackson, but not this one, very mediocre.

July 25th, 2018, 2:53 am #11

Interesting: the video’s been pulled down on account of “a third-party copyright holder.”
Can’t imagine who that might be.
"Schtum!"

August 3rd, 2018, 3:42 am #12

anyone capture the video ?

August 8th, 2018, 7:20 am #13

docu-drama?
more like drama-mentary.
sick, sick, sick.

August 8th, 2018, 8:39 am #14

neilwilkes wrote: docu-drama?
more like drama-mentary.
sick, sick, sick.
I watched about 5 mins of it when it was available then switched off.

It’s open season on Bowie now he is dead with regards to everything, some good, some bad. I suppose we are just going to have to accept it.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together. 👍