A very special 60's Bowie evening in London last night

6:09 PM - Sep 17, 2018 #1

I was very lucky to be invited to a screening of Bowie's first movie "The Image"  (1967) at the Cinema Museum in Elephant and Castle, London last night.

Not only is this building famous for being the original "workhouse" (think Oliver Twist) that a young, local resident named Charles Chaplin attended, its also the home to the most amazing early (20's-50's) cinema artifacts and memorabilia collected in one large, former workhouse which then became an NHS building. The building seeped and smelt of history.

Hosted by author Kevin Cann (Any Day Now), the writer and Director Michael Armstrong shared brilliant stories about how the film came into being and all the tribulations that happened during the strict three day only recording.

In attendance, apart from Kevin, was Lower Third drummer Phil Lancaster, Gerald Fearnley (Bowie's first Deram LP photographer), Marc Riley (Radio 6 and A to Z Bowie podcast aficionado) and  Mark Adams (Blammo/Total Blam Blam).

With about 70 people there, and open access to everyone, it was a great and intimate evening in a historic building.
IMG_5405.jpg
IMG_5405.jpg

4:17 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #2

Did anyone film this? And while I am thinking about early Bowie: Does anyone know what happened to the Freddie Burretti Doc?

1:09 PM - Sep 22, 2018 #3

Hi cruelgarden - it wasn't filmed but it was taped by Channel Radio station, I can post here when it's available online if that helps? Re Freddi - no, it seems to have disappeared?

1:34 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #4

On the Freddi Burretti doc – I went to the recent screening in Milton Keynes and had a chat with the guy who made it. Apparently he doesn’t have proper licencing for some of the material included (I’m guessing the music). Apparently it’s a minefield getting the permissions. As a result he can’t show the film on a ‘for profit’ basis (the rare screenings that take place are either free – like Milton Keynes – or any money charged goes to charity). What he really needs is a proper distributor or similar to take it up, help with the licencing issues and also help get it made more widely available. What you’re seeing at the moment is a kind of ‘home made’ rough cut – but it’s very good and very engaging, and far more professional than ‘home made’ makes it sound. It stood up well on the big screen, I think, and I’ve very glad to have seen it.

On the Michael Armstrong, if anyone could make the Channel Radio recording available that would be great. It was a worthwhile evening: Michael is an amusing guy, and revealed quite a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes stories. Most of these are in his book of the Image script, but he tells them well. Also very happy to sign things. Nice chap.