A first listening of NLMD 2018

3:35 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #1

Correct me if this has been posted before.

http://velvetgoldmine.it/2018/07/never- ... down-2018/

4:18 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #2

Google translate...

Day In Day Out

It is immediately clear how much the atmosphere of the album deviates from the original one: a shorter and darker sound, a voice in the foreground along with the guitars. There are no longer all the effects of the '80s and in the central break there is a nice solo by Reeves Gabrels.

Time Will Crawl

This project started the whole project as we explained. But it is not the version released on iSelect in 2008. To be able to amalgamate to the rest of the album had to be reincarnated and rearranged with the same musicians. Acoustic start with only guitar and vocals, and other instruments that add up to reach a very rock climax. Great work and beautiful guitars.

Beat of Your Drum

If so far we were pleasantly surprised, with this track we start to get serious. A beautiful orchestration of strings, ambient sounds, an enthralling instrumental finale and a great applause for Gabrels that, as usual, stands out. Forget the original: this is quite another thing.

Never Let Me Down

Here too guitars, which with Gabrels and Torn are the style of the album. The choruses of the refrain have been replaced by a guitar job. The sound is full-bodied and enveloping and the bows on the finish make the difference. Ultimately it has a more pressing rhythm and disappears that nenia effect of the original.

Zeroes

Also in this case the work done compared to the original was really remarkable, with arrangements that made us think immediately to Toy. Psychedelic, with jingle-jangle guitars and the original electric sitar solo played by Peter Frampton in evidence (for those who do not know, a curiosity: that electric sitar had belonged to Jimi Hendrix). A beautiful track that has been chosen as a single 45 rpm picture disc in output on September 7, and available now in digital version.

Glass Spider

This is the song that literally dropped our jaw. An apocalyptic version that would not have disfigured at all on Outside. And that's precisely the atmosphere. The ingredients are all there: beginning dark and dramatic, harrowing guitars with reverberations and distortions, the voice of Bowie made with echoes that chase each other. The rhythm is slowed down, pulsating, mechanical: unrecognizable. And at the end the track lasts a minute and a half longer than the original 1987. And anyway, yes, you read that right: we put a song of Never Let Me Down to Outside.

Shining Star

Here the work to be done was really an impossible mission. The track is what it is, perhaps the weakest of the album. However, it definitely improves: the sound conforms to that of the entire album and therefore becomes dark. There is always a great work of guitars that adds a nice atmosphere and the fact that it has been slowed down gives it a more ambiguous gait. We were psychologically prepared for the ordeal of nine, having to undergo again that auditory rape that consists in hearing that sub-species of rap sung by a useless Mickey Rourke. With half-closed eyes ready to blow, we were instead caressed by a delicate and deep voice, an angelic voice that can not be exchanged with another: Laurie Anderson. What to say? So unexpected that we got goose bumps.

New York's In Love

A very rock song, compact sound, nice choruses and guitars here too in great luster. This track gains a lot and is rediscovered pleasant, with a Reeves Gabrels who does his best. He reminded us of some of the most sustained pieces of Reality.

'87 and Cry

Here too, there is a lot of rock and nice arrangements for a piece that continues to divide. Someone finds one of the best tracks on the album, some the worst. Who did not like the 1987 version, will not like that either. There is not a substantial difference but it is certainly far better than the original. Promoted.

Bang Bang

Here we are at the last track. Needless to say, even here it takes us by surprise: start with the bows. Very slowed down, profoundly different from the original, it stands above all on a great arrangement of the strings section. Again, we repeat, the sound is much darker. Very beautiful.

We admit that at the end of listening we were really dazed. Paul Bromby of the Parlophone stared at us slyly awaiting our comment. Which at that time was a "wow".

David Bowie Never Let Me Down Text Translation LyricsThe impression is that these arrangements do justice to the album. Not that they save him permanently from being among Bowie's least-loved disks, but at least give him a chance. And he deserves it. We only listened to Never Let Me Down 2018, so we still can not know how long it will be after that "wow effect" that can catch a fan used to the original version. The pieces are there, they intrigue, they earn us. Someone is enthusiastic. It is certainly a parallel guitar album that goes alongside and can not in any way

4:20 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #3

I wonder if Paul K was one of the privileged few invited for a listen?
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

4:48 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #4

I feared the worst but now my appetite is whetted. 

My anticipation has been aroused.

4:55 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #5

The article says.

Now, we know that more purist fans will shout at the scandal and attempts to rewrite history. For a Bowie fan to be a purist is, moreover, a countersense: if
one thing that we have learned from his life and his art, is that there is no purism but contamination, grafting, experimentation, desire to dare. There are no taboos.

For which read.  

Bowie was a forward thinking experimental artist blah, blah, blah, which means we can do what the hell we like regardless of results consequences and the feelings of fans who might genuinely see something like this as a posthumous insult.

I’m as interested as anyone to hear what NLMD 2018 sounds like, and to a certain extent I’m open to such a project. As much as I dislike NLMD, this new  2018 Version will NEVER replace the original despite Bowie apparently expressing a desire to re do it. I have enormous sympathy for those who don’t want any Bowie album tampered with posthumously. I myself have certain reservations about this new  2018 version as well, therefore  I can fully respect a purists fans view on things like this.

As such this part of the article is complete bollocks.
SHHWEEET! IS....A self confessed, radicalised David Bowie knob ha! ha! I’m in good company. Let’s all celebrate together.

5:03 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #6

101diva wrote:
My anticipation has been aroused.
Too much information😉😂

5:05 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #7

SHHWEEET! wrote: The article says.

Now, we know that daft old purist fans will complain that is an attempt to rewrite history. For a Bowie fan to be a purist is, moreover, a counter-sense: if
one thing that we have learned from his life and his art, is that there is no purism but contamination, grafting, experimentation, desire to dare. There are no taboos.

For which please read:  

Bowie was a forward thinking experimental artist this means we can rework his music to create alternatives. 

I am really interested to hear what NLMD 2018 sounds like, and I’m completely open to such a project.  I loved the original NLMD, so to this new  2018 Version will give me another opportunity to enjoy it. I thank Bowie for expressing a desire to redo it. I have no sympathy for those who don’t want any Bowie album tampered with posthumously. These are backward looking wretches who have have nothing better to do than complain on Bowie fan forums. I myself have no reservations about this new  2018 version and so can respectfully tell these purists to fuck right off. 

As such this part of the article is wonderful.

5:14 PM - Aug 05, 2018 #8

Jon

My 2018 reworking of the Laughing Gnome, complete with 1. Outside like lyrics,  instrumentation, and sinister overtones is winging its way to you as we speak.

Thanks for making me laugh today😂

6:38 AM - Aug 06, 2018 #9

For some reason i'm exited. Normally i don't think much about remixes and i can't really understand the difference between a remix and a re-recording. Much of the contents of various remixes are not from the original sessions. However there are few complaints about tampering when moby and other has remixed various trax.
But this time i'm exited. Could be because this is the last we will get of any 'new' material?

9:43 AM - Aug 06, 2018 #10

doctoroctopussy wrote: there is a nice solo by Reeves Gabrels.
First time for everything, I suppose...

11:29 PM - Aug 07, 2018 #11

I'm super excited to hear this. For those of you who don't want the original tampered with, it still exists.  It isn't going anywhere.  You don't have to buy this.  You don't have to listen to it either.  But for the rest of us, it is nice to get something new to listen to.

Glass Spider 2018 sounds like it could belong on Outside?  Sign me up!

11:54 PM - Aug 07, 2018 #12

When I imagine a 1995 version of Glass Spider, I'm thinking of the lyrics placed on top of a faster beat similar to We Prick You's, and less of a dark and melancholy track.  Very excited to hear how this sounds.

The album will be exclusive to the box, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got a special edition release by itself sometime down the line.

7:08 AM - Aug 08, 2018 #13

Maybe the captivating baby spider story has been extended and split up into nine separate Segues.

8:51 AM - Aug 10, 2018 #14

FTcollector wrote:Maybe the captivating baby spider story has been extended and split up into nine separate Segues.
They are probably still searching frantically after all these years, poor things...

10:25 AM - Aug 10, 2018 #15

FTcollector wrote:Maybe the captivating baby spider story has been extended and split up into nine separate Segues.
All of which sound like Spitting Image pisstakes...

8:00 AM - Aug 15, 2018 #16

I think that maybe I am starting to get this.
It is a album of cover versions that sample Bowie's voice, right? 

9:20 AM - Aug 15, 2018 #17

bianniottonaim wrote:It is a album of cover versions that sample Bowie's voice, right? 
You know, fundamentally, that's not far wrong, actually!

10:02 AM - Aug 15, 2018 #18

I’d say they’re more like remixes. There’s plenty of Bowie remixes that remove/replace most of the instruments, and some pretty much replace everything apart from Bowie’s vocals, such as the Lohner mix of Bring Me the Disco King, or even the Pet Shop Boys remix of Hallo Spaceboy doesn’t leave much of the original. It’s just they’re using proper musicians for NLMD instead of drum machines, samples and the like.

4:21 PM - Aug 15, 2018 #19

golly_75 wrote: I’d say they’re more like remixes.  There’s plenty of Bowie remixes that remove/replace most of the instruments, and some pretty much replace everything apart from Bowie’s vocals, such as the Lohner mix of Bring Me the Disco King, or even the Pet Shop Boys remix of Hallo Spaceboy doesn’t leave much of the original.  It’s just they’re using proper musicians for NLMD instead of drum machines, samples and the like.
So it’s a sort of 2018 Club Bowie minus the dance angle then!😱

One thing we do know is it isn’t really a 100% authentic Bowie album, no matter how much it might or might not be an improvement on the original, and indeed it might be brilliant improvement.

Some are going to argue that it is, but as far as I’m concerned it’s only an actual 100% authentic Bowie album if it was done when Bowie was alive and he was actually hands on throughout  the whole process.

Just because they are keeping his voice, instrument parts, using past Bowie band members and supposedly have his blessing, doesn’t make it really 100% authentic.

Like I said, some are going to consider it to be, that’s up to them, but I never will.

8:13 AM - Aug 16, 2018 #20

SHHWEEET! wrote:
golly_75 wrote: I’d say they’re more like remixes.  There’s plenty of Bowie remixes that remove/replace most of the instruments, and some pretty much replace everything apart from Bowie’s vocals, such as the Lohner mix of Bring Me the Disco King, or even the Pet Shop Boys remix of Hallo Spaceboy doesn’t leave much of the original.  It’s just they’re using proper musicians for NLMD instead of drum machines, samples and the like.
So it’s a sort of 2018 Club Bowie minus the dance angle then!

One thing we do know is it isn’t really a 100% authentic Bowie album, no matter how much it might or might not be an improvement on the original, and indeed it might be brilliant improvement.

Some are going to argue that it is, but as far as I’m concerned it’s only an actual 100% authentic Bowie album if it was done when Bowie was alive and he was actually hands on throughout  the whole process.

Just because they are keeping his voice, instrument parts, using past Bowie band members and supposedly have his blessing, doesn’t make it really 100% authentic.

Like I said, some are going to consider it to be, that’s up to them, but I never will.
It’s not authentic, but an authorized reworking.
Then again, Bowie is one of the few artists I know who kept re-recording stuff not because of copyright reasons (the most common reasons for artists to do this as they often do not own the rights of their hit recordings) but because he was aiming to improve songs. Think The prettiest star, Space oddity 68-69-79, Look back in anger, Panic in Detroit, the Toy re-recordings, Cat people, John I’m only dancing, etc.

10:10 AM - Aug 16, 2018 #21

oakey1973 wrote: Bowie is one of the few artists I know who kept re-recording stuff...because he was aiming to improve songs. Think The prettiest star, Space oddity 68-69-79, Look back in anger, Panic in Detroit, the Toy re-recordings, Cat people, John I’m only dancing, etc.
Yes, it's strange how he kept doing that. Wonder how many of those were actual improvements in the end?
Ignoring the Arnold Corns stuff, I'd say maybe just the 1969 Space Oddity, Holy Holy and the 1973 Prettiest Star.
I love the 1973 John I'm Only Dancing, but it depends on what mood I'm in whether I like it more than the original or not. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I dunno.  
Have to say, I was very sorry to hear the Toy version of Conversation Piece...not sure how he thought he could improve the original, there.     

10:33 AM - Aug 16, 2018 #22

The Toy version of Conversation Piece benefits from 30 years of life lived. You can hear it in his voice. In many ways Toy was a very brave move, but I can see why virgin rejected it.

12:06 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #23

muzz08 wrote: The Toy version of Conversation Piece benefits from 30 years of life lived. You can hear it in his voice. In many ways Toy was a very brave move, but I can see why virgin rejected it.
I love every single track on Toy judging by the leaked version which isn’t the properly finished article of course, and the official tracks released on the various CD singles.

It was a brave move, a sort of Pin Ups 2 but covering his own songs. As you rightly say 30 years of life lived gives these tracks a whole new dimension which fully compliments the originals for me.

I can’t understand why Virgin rejected it and can fully understand why Bowie was pissed off it not getting its release.

Put it this way, if it was a straight choice between getting the official finished Toy or this new 2018 NLMD, I know which one would get my money.

1:12 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #24

I see what you're saying, but Conversation Piece is specifically about a young man's ennui, no?
Barely lived, but tired of my life and all that...
Which is not the same thing as a bloke in his 50s expressing similar sentiments - so isn't it precisely because of that additional thirty years' experience that it doesn't work or resonate the same way? Summat like that. Maybe.
Then again, sod that, I just meant that the original version was so good I wouldn't have looked at it and thought it needed re-doing or improving.
Having said all that, I also can't understand Virgin rejecting Toy - I know Bowie's 'cred' wasn't at its peak then, but why would they care when they must've known it would sell?
Bowie couldn't win in that period - MTV turn him down for Unplugged because he didn't want to play old stuff, but then when he does an album of old songs Virgin knock it back!? WTF?
Bet they're both sorry now, though...   

3:45 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #25

About  Conversation Piece. Your correct if you take it literally for the reasons you point out, however there is no reason why a 50 odd year old man can’t sing it if the listener listens to it with a sort of different retrospective perspective.

The words of this song can resonate with an older persons view point and how he or she can feel in later years

But yes I do take your point and it’s a good one.

5:12 PM - Aug 16, 2018 #26

Give it a few years and we might get a “complete” Toy, of course. Or at least mastered for release. And it’ll be pretty good. 

12:59 AM - Aug 17, 2018 #27

SHHWEEET! wrote: I wonder if Paul K was one of the privileged few invited for a listen?
No I'm not in Italy

8:09 AM - Aug 17, 2018 #28

"Give it a few years and we might get a “complete” Toy, of course. Or at least mastered for release. And it’ll be pretty good. "
and brickwalled, no doubt

11:01 AM - Aug 17, 2018 #29

paulkinder wrote:
SHHWEEET! wrote: I wonder if Paul K was one of the privileged few invited for a listen?
No I'm not in Italy

Wouldn’t they send the owner of one of the most popular Bowie fan sites a preview copy though?

11:44 AM - Aug 17, 2018 #30

FTcollector wrote: "Give it a few years and we might get a “complete” Toy, of course. Or at least mastered for release. And it’ll be pretty good. "
and brickwalled, no doubt
Ha, let’s hope those days are over.

8:49 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #31

The reworked Conversation Piece is one of the songs I keep listening when I'm feeling down, I think it's fantastic.

And I don't really care that whether this reworked NLMD is 100% authentic (of course not). if it turns out to be a great listen, I'll be happy.

9:53 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #32

Re Conversation Piece, the best version for me is the demo, from "The Beckenham Oddity". So beautiful. I used to do the song at open mics and people liked it.
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

10:05 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #33

Last edited by the_starman on 10:17 AM - Aug 19, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

10:17 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #34

Stranger-In-A-Strange-Land wrote:  So beautiful. I used to do the song at open mics and people liked it.
As you are an aficionado of taping and making available every performance an adoring public wants to hear, we demand that you unearth this tape and present it for our delectation!

10:28 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #35

LOL! my singing doesn't sound so good after the event (or indeed during the event) :).

It's Bowie concert moments that need to be out there anyway...
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

11:02 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #36

Gabor_C wrote: And I don't really care that whether this reworked NLMD is 100% authentic (of course not). if it turns out to be a great listen, I'll be happy.

What if it turns out to be a load of shite and a crap listen.

Would you care if it was authentic or a worthwhile project  or not then?

It might well be a good reworking ( I sincerely hope it is ) but to claim you don’t actually care about such things is to give the green light to whoever to bring out any sort of old rubbish.

“It’s ok lads just knock it out those muppet Bowie fans don’t care”

Just as well Bowie didn’t take that attitude towards the majority of his work because when he didn’t really care we got NLMD.

3:15 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #37

SHHWEEET! wrote:
Gabor_C wrote: And I don't really care that whether this reworked NLMD is 100% authentic (of course not). if it turns out to be a great listen, I'll be happy.

What if it turns out to be a load of shite and a crap listen.

Would you care if it was authentic or a worthwhile project  or not then?

It might well be a good reworking ( I sincerely hope it is ) but to claim you don’t actually care about such things is to give the green light to whoever to bring out any sort of old rubbish.

“It’s ok lads just knock it out those muppet Bowie fans don’t care”

Just as well Bowie didn’t take that attitude towards the majority of his work because when he didn’t really care we got NLMD.
If it's bad I won't listen to it. I've skipped through Club Bowie, it was so awful, and haven't touched it ever since. 

I have five decades worth of great music, heaps of live recordings to listen and watch to. Nothing will make those any less special for me. 

I've grown out of being a 'protective fan', I'm just happy with all the great things we've got. 

4:10 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #38

Gabor_C wrote:  I've grown out of being a 'protective fan', I'm just happy with all the great things we've got. 
So are we all but being protective is nothing to do with it, actually caring what the person or his / her trustees whom you have great admiration for puts out there does have something to do with it.

Someone like Bowie built up a deserved reputation for excellence. It’s one thing when he cocked up himself when he was alive, that was his prerogative, it’s quite another when others whom might? do so now he is dead in the pursuit of making money or appeasing some sections of the fan base who  maybe can’t really accept he has gone.

Simply as a fan you must surely care?

4:45 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #39

SHHWEEET! wrote:
Gabor_C wrote:  I've grown out of being a 'protective fan', I'm just happy with all the great things we've got. 
So are we all but being protective is nothing to do with it, actually caring what the person or his / her trustees whom you have great admiration for puts out there does have something to do with it.

Someone like Bowie built up a deserved reputation for excellence. It’s one thing when he cocked up himself when he was alive, that was his prerogative, it’s quite another when others whom might? do so now he is dead in the pursuit of making money or appeasing some sections of the fan base who  maybe can’t really accept he has gone.

Simply as a fan you must surely care?
I don't think anything can cheapen Bowie's legacy for me. This is a potentialy neat project to boost a boxset's sales. Nothing more. Not that different to an album of remixes or covers. 

5:16 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #40

Gabor_C wrote: I don't think anything can cheapen Bowie's legacy for me.

What about in the eyes of the music buying / loving public at large. Doesn’t that matter?

Don’t you mind that Bowie is fast becoming a cheap money spinner on the back of his legacy i.e. Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.

Like I’ve said NLMD might well be brilliant, not hard to do when you listen to the original, but it is a risky game to play.

What next, a reworking of Reality?

5:24 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #41

SHHWEEET! wrote:
Nah - just remove and discard the cover versions and filler from Reality & Heathen, combine the remaining the tracks and - hey presto! - a Bowie classic.

5:27 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #42

I don't really care about the public at large. I'm Hungarian and most of the people here don't know much about db's music anyway. Usually they know some of his eighties stuff (Under Pressure, Let's Dance and Absolute Beginners) and that's all. The more people discover Bowie's music, the better.

These reworking's are like remakes or recut/colourized versions of old movies. It might make it better, it might make it worse, but you can always watch the  original, should you choose to.

I'd be all for a reworked version of either TM albums. 

5:28 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #43

LuisKantor wrote:
SHHWEEET! wrote:
Nah - just remove and discard the cover versions and filler from Reality & Heathen, combine the remaining the tracks and - hey presto! - a Bowie classic.
exactly. 

10:38 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #44

All I want from Reality is an official release of the alternate version of She’ll Drive The Big Car from the Atlantis set. I’d love to know who was behind that reworking. Gail? Leonard? Was it Bowie rethinking the structure? I prefer it to the album version.

4:46 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #45

....alternate version of She’ll Drive The Big Car from the Atlantis set....

Ive missed that one. Any more info? Links?

5:02 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #46

Its OK - found it - from Reality tour, Nassau gig.

7:27 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #47

It’s a pretty darn great arrangement. I’d love to know what prompted the changes. It’s the only time he performed it this way, to my knowledge.

10:18 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #48

besomdave wrote: Its OK - found it - from Reality tour, Nassau gig.
Where did you find it?  I'm scouring Youtube to no avail at the moment...

10:33 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #49

MrBitey wrote:
besomdave wrote: Its OK - found it - from Reality tour, Nassau gig.
Where did you find it?  I'm scouring Youtube to no avail at the moment...
You have to find the full concert. Sadly it’s not on YouTube - which is super annoying when trying to explain how much I like this version. Try Bowie Station.

I don’t want to throw this topic (NLMD 2018) off track - but I’ll say that I like this performance for elements I find lacking in Reality. The Atlantis arrangement has a dynamic to it of quiet and loud, angry and soft - that the album version just doesn’t have. Also notice how long it takes for drums to come in, while on Reality drums are always present, and always just thudding along.

I like most of Reality, I just wish the songs had a bit more variation within each number - rather than just straight on pushing ahead.

Also, the Atlantis arrangement solves one of my pet-peeves with later-day Bowie songs. It actually has an end, rather than a radio-friendly fade. Similar to the SACD version of Slow Burn, which I much prefer.

10:48 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #50

I don’t think I’ve heard this Atlantis arrangement either?

Not that I can remember anyway.