2018 Box Set announcement date

June 19th, 2018, 4:47 pm #1

Does anybody know when the announcement for the new box set will be probably 83-88 or if their is even going to be one

June 19th, 2018, 5:38 pm #2

Its usually Q3 isn't it?

I'm sure I read that they only have the albums up until '99 as the one's after are ISO. Reeves has mentioned a possible Tin Machine box so it only leaves...

Lets Dance
Tonight
Never let me down
The Buddha of Suburbia
Black Tie White Noise
1. Outside
Earthling
Hours

plus live (?)

Glass Spider
VH1 Storytellers

Unless its expanded with other live material I could see it being in one box (which would make sense as a new contract with genuine rarities begins in 2019 I believe). We'll see...

June 19th, 2018, 9:17 pm #3

doctoroctopussy wrote: Its usually Q3 isn't it?

I'm sure I read that they only have the albums up until '99 as the one's after are ISO. Reeves has mentioned a possible Tin Machine box so it only leaves...

Lets Dance
Tonight
Never let me down
The Buddha of Suburbia
Black Tie White Noise
1. Outside
Earthling
Hours

plus live (?)

Glass Spider
VH1 Storytellers

Unless its expanded with other live material I could see it being in one box (which would make sense as a new contract with genuine rarities begins in 2019 I believe). We'll see...
I'd prefer a rarities box set or even a Lets Dance 35 th box

June 19th, 2018, 11:04 pm #4

The Bowie youtube has been reposting Let's Dance era music videos lately, probably as a way to hype people up for the new box.  I'm expecting it to go from Let's Dance through Black Tie White Noise, with Tin Machine excluded in favor of its own discography box.

A new boxset should be announced within the next month.

June 20th, 2018, 2:00 am #5

I hope we get box-sets of the albums/eras - really just for completion's sake at this point. I've loved the sound on some discs, and been disappointed by choices on others...

Below are some of the things I'm hoping for, or at least suspect.

For the 80's (but maybe 83/93) set, I'm guessing we'll see the format continue to mutate/expand. We've already had "unreleased" bits and bobs sneak in, so I think the appeal of the "80s" set is going to be live concerts. This era has Serious Moonlight, Glass Spider, and Sound+Vision. I'm betting those three live concerts will be the new additions to help sell the box, and re-frame this period as Bowie's "big live tour era."

1983/1993
Let's Dance
Serious Moonlight Live
Tonight
Labyrinth EP (Think the Heroes EP in the last box set)
Never Let Me Down
Never Let Me Down Remixed (Possible, but I bet it would be cut in favor of more live material)
Glass Spider Live
Sound+Vision Live
Black Tie White Noise
Re:Call 4 (Including the BTWN second disc)

Record Store Day
A second live album - maybe another Serious Moonlight Concert?
"Danse" EP

Similarly, I think we'll see more live concerts in the next set.

1994/1999
Buddha Of Suburbia
Outside
Outside Live
Earthling
Earthling Live (Might be a revised "Live and Well")
Hours
Storytellers
Hours Live (Might be omitted in favor of storytellers)
Re:Call 5

Record Store Day
A second live album - its gonna be Glastonbury 2000.
I doubt we'll see Leon Sessions here. They'll get their own release some other way. Maybe it will be something truly odd - like limited edition singles of the three proposed remixes of "Thursday's Child."

And if they sorted out the last few albums - then hopefully something like this:

2000/2016
Toy (I would love mixes of both the Plati AND Tony versions)
BBC 2000 (Expanded to Include Toy Tracks)
Heathen
Heathen Live
Reality
Reality Tour (Expanded)
Reality Tour Extra (Collection of favorite performances from across the tour)
The Next Day
The Next Day Extra
Blackstar
No Plan
Re:Call 6

Record Store Day
A second live album - Probably a Low/Heathen performance
Not sure about what EP they'll try to recreate here...

June 20th, 2018, 1:41 pm #6

Well , the announcements of the former Box sets were mid-july.
So I think a little more patience.

June 20th, 2018, 3:25 pm #7

now i believe in a new boxset, Bowienet is putting 80's videos everyday on youtube, today is Absolute beginners.

June 21st, 2018, 8:08 am #8

I hope it only covers 83 to 87.
there's more than enough material to fill a dozen discs or so.
that would be a perfect fit.
anything else post 87 would feel out of place.
I guess there may be a new let's dance mix too and I hope there will be a serious moonlight live show.

June 21st, 2018, 1:08 pm #9

Lets Dance x1
Serious Moonlight x2
Tonight x1
Absolute Beginners/Labyrinth x1 (Bowie tracks only)
Never let me down x1
Glass Spider x2
Re-Call x2

I can only get 10 discs out of it?

June 21st, 2018, 5:13 pm #10

doctoroctopussy wrote: Lets Dance x1
Serious Moonlight x2
Tonight x1
Never let me down x1
Glass Spider x2
Re-Call x2

Don't you forget a remix album ?   :)
Never Let Me Down ( vinyl with all the edits)
And then  all the remixes _ the unreleased Dance  ?
Absolute Beginners and Labyrinth + When the Wind Blows and This is Not America.

What will be on the 2 disc Re-Call ? Single edits and ? (Live Aid.......)

June 21st, 2018, 6:04 pm #11

I still think it will go up to BTWN, and may include a third live concert from S+V.

That might give it too many discs though...

Live Aid is a great idea. I could see a little EP disc of that material. Boosts the idea of this box set being sold as “The Coliseum Tours.”

June 21st, 2018, 8:58 pm #12

I'd like the Dancing in the Street version that was used on the promo video that was played during Live Aid, and on Top of the Pops at the time it was a hit - i.e. without the big Bob Clearmountain overdubs. It took me a long time to get used to those. I'm fine with them now I guess, but for years, I heard the song in my head, and I wanted to hear the single version the way I heard it again and again on the video. I really like that when I was young.

oh and before some smartarse tries to claim otherwise, any video uploaded to youtube or whatever is not 'proof' the video version was the same as the single.  At the time it wasn't :)
We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

June 21st, 2018, 10:33 pm #13

doctoroctopussy wrote: Lets Dance x1
Serious Moonlight x2
Tonight x1
Never let me down x1
Glass Spider x2
Re-Call x2

there's bound to be a new remix probably of let's dance.

dance would be nice but I'm not sure if it was actually completed just some artwork proofs.

I think the absolute beginners/labyrinth tracks would more likely be on the recall cds.

there's all the 12 inch remixes to consider too.

June 22nd, 2018, 2:17 am #14

i always wanted more than "normal fans"
- Let's Dance demos
- Loving the Alien demo 
- Blah Blah Blah songs with Bowie's vocals
- Never Let me Down demos 
- Glass Spider Tour Rehearsals
- 1988 L.A. demos with Bruce Fairbairn

June 22nd, 2018, 3:53 am #15

Those would be great. I have hopes for the demos, but I’m not sure how they fit into the box set format. Maybe there’s a separate release planned?

June 22nd, 2018, 6:35 am #16

dazzzhoo wrote: Does anybody know when the announcement for the new box set will be probably 83-88 or if their is even going to be one
I reckon in the next few weeks, we should hear about the new box set (if there is one) as every other one of them has been announce roughly at the same time. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

June 22nd, 2018, 12:43 pm #17

Today's video upload on db's youtube is Jump They Say; safe to say that's confirmation that the box will at least go through 1983-1993..Buddha of Suburbia's inclusion is questionable, since it feels like that belongs in a box with Outside more than the "dance" box.

June 22nd, 2018, 1:08 pm #18

What I'd most of all is a completely new "stripped-down" mix of Never Let Me Down

June 22nd, 2018, 3:21 pm #19

We need -
Cracked Actor on DVD!
Arts Lab recordings!
The FULL 1970 Paris Cinema Studios show - forget the mistakes, enjoy the vibe!
1971 Paris Cinema Studios in STEREO - it was on a BBC radio LP.
Glasto 71 too!
Release the archives, set them free...

June 22nd, 2018, 3:44 pm #20

This CD is now on Amazon

DOUBLE DISC SET CONTAINING BOWIE S LEGENDARY CANADIAN BROADCAST SHOW FROM 1983 Already a successful artist, in 1983 David Bowie released his 15th and bestselling album to date, Let s Dance, which would go on to reach platinum status. It contained three of his most popular singles, including the title track, which reached No.1 on the US and UK charts, as well as Modern Love and China Girl , both of which peaked at second place in the UK. Co-produced by the legendary Nile Rodgers, the record was nominated for Album Of The Year at The Grammy Awards in 84. In support of the album, Bowie and his band embarked on the 93-date Serious Moonlight tour which visited 15 countries and attracted more than two million ticket sales, thus becoming his biggest live jaunt to date. In the throes of the tour, the group played the vast Montreal Forum on 13th July 1983, a show which was recorded for live FM broadcast. This 2 CD set contains the entire performance, providing a fine example of this cultural icon at the dawn of his most successful era.

June 22nd, 2018, 8:40 pm #21

I have that new Bowie Mojo, had a quick skim through the article, the only mention is in the intro... "As a fourth box Bowie box set is primed to deliver Let's Dance, a Serious Moonlight live disc and more...". That's at least an official announcement that it's happening, and soon. Articles like this usually have an upcoming product to hang on.

June 22nd, 2018, 9:07 pm #22

Let`s Dance
Serious Moonlight live
Tonight
Dancin`(Unreleased remix album. Supposed to contain remixed tracks from Let`s Dance and Tonight.)
Never Let Me Down
Glass Spider live
"Unreleased" (Supposedly an album recorded with the Bryan Adams band in the late 80s. Only Like A Rolling Stone has surfaced from those sessions so far.)
Sound+Vision live (Tokyo)
Recall 4

June 22nd, 2018, 9:46 pm #23

Doubt they'll be any 'unreleased' tracks on this series of box sets apart from live stuff.

June 22nd, 2018, 10:26 pm #24

I don't understand why some seem to think the next boxset will continue thru into the 90s, sound and vision tour, black tie and so on.
it just don't fit. there's more than enough to cover just the 83 to 87 years.

1. let's dance
2. tonight
3. never let me down
4. let's dance new mix.
5. dance
6. serious moonlight live (2 discs)
Vancouver audio
7. glass spider Montreal live (2 discs)
8 recall 1. (the edits, b-sides, movie tracks)
9. recall 2 /3 (12 inch ep remixes).

11 to 12 discs.

June 22nd, 2018, 11:05 pm #25

doctoroctopussy wrote: Doubt they'll be any 'unreleased' tracks on this series of box sets apart from live stuff.
After Lets Dance demo release,we Can have some hope

June 23rd, 2018, 3:58 am #26

I'd say 1983 - 1988. (1988 being the La La Human Footsteps' performance of Look Back in Anger)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

June 23rd, 2018, 1:15 pm #27

I suppose it’s possible BTWN could be put off until the next box, but the S+V tour belongs in this upcoming box.

I also like the idea of a “Live Aid” disc folded into this one as an EP similar to the Heroes disc in the last set. I wonder if something similar could be done for the Freddie Mercury concert?

June 23rd, 2018, 4:11 pm #28

I don't think sound and vision tour belongs in the next box at all. start of a new decade. it don't belong with the 80s stuff.
and no chance la la human would even be considered that's just daft.
it has to be 83 to 87, that's it. anything else would make me feel ill.

June 23rd, 2018, 4:19 pm #29

i will buy the cheap chinese version again

June 23rd, 2018, 5:19 pm #30

What I could find according to official releases just only for the album Never Let Me Down is amazing :

The first CD release (with Too Dizzy)
The Japanese CD with Girls (Japanese version)
The vinyl release with edits of :
Day-In Day-Out / Beat Of Your Drum / Glass Spider / Shining Star / New York's In Love / ’87 And Cry / Bang Bang
Shining Star 12 inch remix
Day in Day Out  _  Single edit  / extended Dance Mix / extended Dub Mix / Groucho Mix
Julie (b-side)
Time Will Crawl _  Single edit / extended Dance Mix / Dance Crew Mix / Dub Mix
Girls _ Single (b-side) edit / extended edit
Never Let Me Down  (single) _  Japan single remix / extended Dance Mix / Instrumental /  Dub & Acapella Mix

(Just for informationpurposes……………)

June 23rd, 2018, 9:06 pm #31

Yeah. There are several b-sides for NLMD. Plus all the single edits and remixes. While there seem to be no b-sides for Let’s Dance or Tonight, there are still many many edits and remixes off those albums as well.

That, plus all the soundtrack work, makes me wonder how large this Re:Call set will be? Will the Tina Live stuff be on it as well? What about Pretty Pink Rose?

Sylvianne, my reasoning for S+V has less to do with the decade, and more to do with the content. It would seem very strange to pop that tour in with the next set. It doesn’t sound like BTWN (if it’s held off on), Buddha, Outside, Earthling, or Hours. S+V would be a lovely cap to a decade of touring the “hits.”

June 24th, 2018, 8:50 am #32

Thylacine8 wrote: Yeah. There are several b-sides for NLMD. Plus all the single edits and remixes. While there seem to be no b-sides for Let’s Dance or Tonight, there are still many many edits and remixes off those albums as well.

That, plus all the soundtrack work, makes me wonder how large this Re:Call set will be? Will the Tina Live stuff be on it as well? What about Pretty Pink Rose?

Sylvianne, my reasoning for S+V has less to do with the decade, and more to do with the content. It would seem very strange to pop that tour in with the next set. It doesn’t sound like BTWN (if it’s held off on), Buddha, Outside, Earthling, or Hours. S+V would be a lovely cap to a decade of touring the “hits.”
thylacine I just don't think it fits very well, same with tin machine whichnithink could be a separate project, plus these box sets have never been about releasing previously unreleased shows.
I think it would more than likely be covered with a rsd release or as part of a live series boxset. would likely be Milton Keynes or Tokyo.

June 24th, 2018, 2:01 pm #33

MGOSCH wrote: i always wanted more than "normal fans"
- Let's Dance demos
- Loving the Alien demo 
- Blah Blah Blah songs with Bowie's vocals
- Never Let me Down demos 
- Glass Spider Tour Rehearsals
- 1988 L.A. demos with Bruce Fairbairn
The "Labyrinth" demos exist somewhere. The demo for "Chilly Down" is in YT. Its great and daft etc.

Jx

"When I believed in nothing, I called your name"

June 24th, 2018, 2:16 pm #34

Don't forget about Labyrinth's likely inclusion in the box.  If I had to guess a 12-disc box right now:

-Let's Dance
-Tonight
-Never Let Me Down
-Labyrinth OST

-Serious Moonlight Tour (2 CD)
-Glass Spider Tour (2 CD)

-Let's Dance (2018 Remix album)
-Never Let Me Down (2018 Remaster)

-Re:call 4 (12" & Dance remixes from Tonight & NLMD's singles, plus S+V's 808state remix & Fame '90)
-Dance (unreleased remixes from scrapped album, plus new remixes)

I'd buy that.  Giving it more thought, BTWH through Hours would make more sense for the following set.

June 24th, 2018, 2:55 pm #35

Any predictions about the name ?

( Loving The Alien ? )

June 24th, 2018, 4:55 pm #36

leoloww wrote: Any predictions about the name ?

( Loving The Alien ? )
Dancing With The Big Boys.

June 24th, 2018, 5:53 pm #37

sylvianne wrote: thylacine I just don't think it fits very well, same with tin machine whichnithink could be a separate project, plus these box sets have never been about releasing previously unreleased shows.
I think it would more than likely be covered with a rsd release or as part of a live series boxset. would likely be Milton Keynes or Tokyo.
We’ll have to see (:

I suppose S+V could be an RSD release... though it would be strange to have an entire tour treated as an exclusive. The greatest hits aspect is certainly a closer to the 80s period - not an introduction to the 90s.

I agree about Tin Machine. I’d like to see a separate box for that. It would be nice to see those two albums get reappraised - or at least reissued.

I’m thinking Parlophone might want to follow the pattern of the previous box sets as they go forward - so we’ll be seeing more live shows released, even if they weren’t before. Otherwise all we’ve got for the last (one or two) boxsets is VH1, BBC 2000 and the Reality Tour. (Maybe Live & Well if they put the work in to expand that).

I imagine a big part of figuring out these sets’ contents, is deciding on the story each set will tell.

Does this box set begin with Let’s Dance, and end with Glass Spider? What’s the story there?
Does it start with Let’s Dance, and end with his wedding album? (That might be a happier story).

I’m still not sure where BTWN sits. If it isn’t here, then the next box set begins its narrative with Bowie getting married. That might work...

I think I’m in the “Richochet” camp for this box set’s name - but if they include BTWN, then I’d say “Modern Love”.

June 24th, 2018, 6:45 pm #38

leoloww wrote: Any predictions about the name ?
( Loving The Alien ? )
"Time Will Crawl" would be fitting

June 24th, 2018, 9:33 pm #39

A Visconti mix of Tonight might be interesting.

Bowie did add drums to TWC. Wonder if he tinkered with the rest of the album?

IIRC an official audio and video of the Sound and Vision tour were offered to EMI but  when bundled with Tin Machine 2 was turned down. The audio gig would make a nice extra.

June 25th, 2018, 8:27 am #40

It is possible that the only thing we will get from the serious moonlight tour is the EP that was released on download and RSD will get the the full radio broadcast gig hope not

June 25th, 2018, 9:38 am #41

I hope not just the ep surely the whole Vancouver broadcast or will they break protocol and issue Montreal.

I don't see the whole labyrinth more likely the bowie tracks on recall or as an ep.

Dance apart from art proofs im not sure the project was actually finished or even started musically.

recall could be very interesting, it will be disappointing if they ignore the 12 inch mixes. as well as all the 12 " mixes from tonight and never let me down and bsides there are remixes of dancing in the street, including a very good dub mix, absolute beginners full length & edits, underground and magic dance 12 inch versions, when the wind blows extended and instrumental, shake it long remix, this is not America instrumental,
that's a lot of material there.

the name of the box could be simply let's dance 83 to 87.

June 25th, 2018, 11:07 am #42

I think you can eliminate any title that clashes with an existing product, so Let’s Dance, Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Glass Spider, Serious Moonlight and Ricochet are out, as they won’t want to conflict and possibly confuse.
I also doubt that they would name it after a cover version, although God Only Knows (What He Was Thinking Most of the Time) might be appropriate for the EMI years! It’s hard to imagine many of the other titles being used, such as Shake It or Without You.
If whoever comes up with the titles (and Bowie himself might have planned a lot of this when the whole project was started) has a sense of humour then I’d call it Tumble and Twirl, as I think it sums up the period quite well, but I think it’s more likely to be called Dancing With the Big Boys, as at least it gets Dance in there for the marketers to work with... also perhaps sums up the big bucks EMI period too...
Let’s face it-this isn’t a favourite period for many fans so it might be a harder sell-the Serious Moonlight live disks will help, but they might have to work harder on selling this one, particularly to people who perhaps only really discovered Bowie since he passed.

June 25th, 2018, 11:30 am #43

not so sure I agree, it's mainly the older die hards from the 70s who struggle with the 80s period. I know many people who love that era. those albums and tours were big in most cases outselling the 70s stuff. let's dance is still his best seller. tonight and nlmd although not critically acclaimed sold well and both tours were the biggest of his career. I'm sure there are many who appreciate it like many do labyrinth.
every fan will want a serious moonlight show on vinyl and cd, that's a big selling point. i agree they may have to work a bit harder, but by giving us a live 83 show, or dance and the 12 inch mixes hopefully, I think it will do just as well as the previous sets. I for one will be at the front of the queue for this one. it certainly has real potential if done correctly.

June 25th, 2018, 8:11 pm #44

Also, I'm assuming that surely "Too Dizzy" would be re-instated in whatever form NLMD takes in this new box set, just for completion's sake

June 25th, 2018, 8:38 pm #45

I will be interesting to see where Too Dizzy ends up either put back on the NLMD album or put on the Re Call cd but it must be included

June 25th, 2018, 9:45 pm #46

dazzzhoo wrote: I will be interesting to see where Too Dizzy ends up either put back on the NLMD album or put on the Re Call cd but it must be included
Surely the actual album if they're wanting to continue to re-create them as they were originally released. And does anyone here happen to know why exactly the track was struck from all reissues of the NLMD album? I don't think I've ever seen a definitive answer on that

June 26th, 2018, 12:58 am #47

I think the simple answer has been that Bowie hated the song after the album was released, and just wanted to forget it ever existed.  Some say it involves Erdal Kizilcay's involvement with the song since the two apparently had a falling out, others say it's because of the lyrics..

June 26th, 2018, 10:19 am #48

'I think the simple answer has been that Bowie hated the song after the album was released, and just wanted to forget it ever existed.' 

Indeed. His judgement was often awry in the '80s, but he was bang on there!  

June 26th, 2018, 10:39 am #49

i heard he was embarrassed about the song lyrically.
musically i think its a catchy little number, I like it and hope it's included.

June 26th, 2018, 11:19 am #50

I'd like to see the Dallas rehearsals released as well in this set.